Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

So which province will produce the best Canadian mail order brides?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Rime posted:

The interesting thing about Russia is how utterly post-development it's become. I mean, those oligarchs could be squeezing double or triple the profit out of their holdings if they were willing to upgrade the infrastructure out of the dark ages but instead they're just riding on the wreckage from the Soviet Union. For example, this is Norilsk, the largest Nickle / Palladium mine and smelter on earth:

It hasn't seen any upgrades in over half a century and it's one of the most polluted regions on the entire planet. The sheer wasted efficiency on display here alone, let alone all the other industrial sites across Russia, is truly staggering. Another good example is the time an explorer went inside the NPO Energomash rocket factory and revealed it to be this mad max-esque crumbling ruin that is also manufacturing the countries supply of highly explosive liquid propellant. :psyduck:

Russia isn't the inevitable result of Communism, it just took a rapid shortcut to where unrestricted Capitalism will have the rest of the world in a few more decades.

I understand what you're getting at but I'd say things like this demonstrate that Russia isn't a capitalist society, not really. It's a pure kleptocracy. Oligarchs managed to gain control of facilities like this not through the accumulation of capital but rather through patronage and corruption. No capitalist would allow their capital to depreciate that badly unless they had absolutely no choice. The oligarchs don't care because they didn't put the capital into the plant, they are pure rentiers, living off long ago invested capital of other people.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
smh even andrew carnegie, humungous shithead that he was had more decency than these fuckers

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
I understand what you're getting at but I'd say things like this demonstrate that Canada isn't a capitalist society, not really. It's a pure kleptocracy. SNC-Lavalin managed to gain control of facilities like this not through the accumulation of capital but rather through patronage and corruption. No capitalist would allow their capital to depreciate that badly unless they had absolutely no choice. SNC-Lavalin doesn't care because they didn't put the capital into the infrastructure, they are pure rentiers, living off long ago invested capital of other people.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

less than three posted:

I understand what you're getting at but I'd say things like this demonstrate that Canada isn't a capitalist society, not really. It's a pure kleptocracy. SNC-Lavalin managed to gain control of facilities like this not through the accumulation of capital but rather through patronage and corruption. No capitalist would allow their capital to depreciate that badly unless they had absolutely no choice. SNC-Lavalin doesn't care because they didn't put the capital into the infrastructure, they are pure rentiers, living off long ago invested capital of other people.

It's really not the same thing.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Libertarian Paradise.jpg

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

less than three posted:

They must be too busy deploying captial on massive infrastructure and cultural projects to keep the things that allow them to generate that captial maintained I guess?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

less than three posted:

Swing and a miss.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Rime posted:

The interesting thing about Russia is how utterly post-development it's become. I mean, those oligarchs could be squeezing double or triple the profit out of their holdings if they were willing to upgrade the infrastructure out of the dark ages but instead they're just riding on the wreckage from the Soviet Union. For example, this is Norilsk, the largest Nickle / Palladium mine and smelter on earth:

It hasn't seen any upgrades in over half a century and it's one of the most polluted regions on the entire planet. The sheer wasted efficiency on display here alone, let alone all the other industrial sites across Russia, is truly staggering. Another good example is the time an explorer went inside the NPO Energomash rocket factory and revealed it to be this mad max-esque crumbling ruin that is also manufacturing the countries supply of highly explosive liquid propellant. :psyduck:

Russia isn't the inevitable result of Communism, it just took a rapid shortcut to where unrestricted Capitalism will have the rest of the world in a few more decades.

If you had time, an effortpost about these places would be amazing.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

etalian posted:

So which province will produce the best Canadian mail order brides?

Quebec, same as it ever was.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Definitely not Alberta, which already suffers from a surplus of men.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

David Corbett posted:

Definitely not Alberta, which already suffers from a surplus of men.

So Alberta will be Canada's own Philippines? :v:

From 2 weeks ago but still hilarious: http://barrie.ctvnews.ca/housing-market-overpriced-1.2149152#ixzz3NK3WsFaz

quote:

The Canadian Real Estate Assocation says house prices continued to climb in 2014.

Robert Turcic Construcion business owner Roger Turcic says people have no problem spending money on their house.

“We have a lot of work booked up ahead which is different than it been in years past,” said Turcic. “It basically tells me that people are willing to spend money on their homes and get the renovations they want to make their home exactly what they want and be comfortable in it.”

The average house price, which was over $413,000, rose 5.7% compared to this time last year.

In Collingwood, the average price is $348,000 and in Barrie it is $371,000.

While those prices rise, the bank of Canada has said the housing market could be between 15 and 30% overvalued, and that is concerning because of the amount of debt the average Canadian has.

Oil prices have created uncertainty in the Canadian economy.

Jason Ruttan, a real estate broker in Wasaga Beach, says the concerning numbers are only because of markets in big cities like Toronto and Vancouver.

“We think there is great value for what you can get, bigger bang for your buck, in our area compared to other areas in the province,” said Ruttan. “Our prices might be a little less than average, but I think if you were to compare square footage, features, and quality of construction, I think you would find that there is great value in our area.”

In southern Georgian Bay the number of homes worth between $800,000 and $1,000,000 increased 90% from last year.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Apart from bikers and white trash, everything in Quebec is superior.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Montreal is best city since it has its own unique identity instead of trying to be the NYC of the north or a knockoff SF.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd say Vancouver has a pretty unique identity, it's just a really lovely one. It's not trying to be anywhere else and has actually influenced a lot of other places. The whole glass "po-to" condo tower James Cheng style condo forest is a proud Vancouver export.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I'd say Vancouver has a pretty unique identity, it's just a really lovely one. It's not trying to be anywhere else and has actually influenced a lot of other places. The whole glass "po-to" condo tower James Cheng style condo forest is a proud Vancouver export.

Vancouver, the cayman islands for Mainland china

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

etalian posted:

Vancouver, the cayman islands for Mainland china
Canada is a hotbed of shifty foreign DI. I hear the N'drangheta also call us ”the bank."

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Wtf is a hootsuite?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Wtf is a hootsuite?

imagine you wrote a cron job to send a tweet at a very specific time of day.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Cultural Imperial posted:

Nicely done.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

imagine you an unpaid intern wrote a cron job to send a tweet at a very specific time of day.

There we go.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

For years I described them as "not sure" and "an elaborate scheme to spam users" but this is now my go to.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
:golfclap:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Penthouse in Victoria's latest high-end condo building sold for 3,900,000 when it was first built a couple years ago, just re-sold for 3,100k. 800k drop. Buildin' that equity. Then again the type of poo poo head who can afford a Victoria condo penthouse to use a couple times a year doesn't really give a poo poo about that.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Just in case any of you still have doubts about BC's LONG TERM ECONOMIC PLAN.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/exclusive-oil-price-crash-claims-182142245.html?l=1

quote:

Excelerate Energy's Texan liquefied natural gas terminal plan has become the first victim of an oil price slump threatening the economics of U.S. LNG export projects.

A halving in the oil price since June has upended assumptions by developers that cheap U.S. LNG would muscle into high-value Asian energy markets, which relied on oil prices staying high to make the U.S. supply affordable.

The floating 8 million tonne per annum (mtpa) export plant moored at Lavaca Bay, Texas advanced by Houston-based Excelerate has been put on hold, according to regulatory filings obtained by Reuters.

The project was initially due to begin exports in 2018.

Excelerate's move bodes ill for thirteen other U.S. LNG projects, which have also not signed up enough international buyers, to reach a final investment decision (FID). Only Cheniere's Sabine Pass and Sempra's Cameron LNG projects have hit that milestone.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
At least the LNG pipe dream is collapsing before the government pisses away countless dollars to subsidize TFW built refineries, then proceed to collect next to zero tax revenues all to try and save face.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

At least the LNG pipe dream is collapsing before the government pisses away countless dollars to subsidize TFW built refineries, then proceed to collect next to zero tax revenues all to try and save face.

You're tempting fate with this optimism.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I believe HootSuite can also allow multiple people access to the same Twitter account without having to share the password for the Twitter account with all of them, a feature which is necessary because Twitter was created by morons apparently. That's the only useful feature I can find in their entire system, frankly, and it's being done better by other people (and a Twitter feature to allow this is in public beta, I think).

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

It's barely housing related, but I simply can't get enough of this guy's shoddy financial analysis. I even added his site to my RSS reader!

http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/2014/12/2014-year-end-review.html

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Lexicon posted:

It's barely housing related, but I simply can't get enough of this guy's shoddy financial analysis. I even added his site to my RSS reader!

http://www.freedomthirtyfiveblog.com/2014/12/2014-year-end-review.html

Debt should be a human right. Not having access to credit is a scary place to be in. Instead of borrowing money to fund my purchases I have to rely on savings, which is not fun at all. It’s like my finances are being suffocated. Imagine how constrained a start up business would feel if it can’t get a bank loan. Without using debt I feel like my options are severely limited. I can’t wait for the new year when I can go on shopping sprees again.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
lol at that loving freedom 35 idiot

ATTN: MILITANT ATHEISTS COVER THINE EYES

Qur'an 30: 39 posted:

TO him who is of kin to thee give his due, and to the poor and to the wayfarer: this will be best for those who seek the face of God; and with them it shall be well.
Whatever ye put out at usury to increase it with the substance of others shall have no increase from God: but whatever ye shall give in alms, as seeking the face of God, shall be doubled to you.

Ezekiel 22:12 posted:

In you they take bribes to shed blood; you take interest and profit and make gain of your neighbors by extortion; but me you have forgotten, declares the Lord God.

25:35-37 posted:

If your brother becomes poor, and his ability [to earn a living] is weakened - give him a hand - so that he can live with you. Do not take from him interest; you shall fear your G-d and let your brother live with you. Do not lend him your money with interest, nor your food shall you lend at an increased price.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I wish it was a little harder to get credit, honestly. Then maybe I wouldn't have been given a $2000 Visa when I was 19 and making $7/hr. The people at RBC who set me up with that card should really be ashamed; what made them think it was appropriate to give someone with no credit history that much limit?

I'm choosing to believe in good faith here, guys, that they didn't screw me on purpose :sigh:

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

I wish it was a little harder to get credit, honestly. Then maybe I wouldn't have been given a $2000 Visa when I was 19 and making $7/hr. The people at RBC who set me up with that card should really be ashamed; what made them think it was appropriate to give someone with no credit history that much limit?

I'm choosing to believe in good faith here, guys, that they didn't screw me on purpose :sigh:

I hate to break it to you buddy, but...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Lending is basically a license to print money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

It's still your choice to spend or not spend the money. I have access to around $30,000 in credit between my business and personal cards, and I've had most of that since I was 21, and yet (because I don't want to pay interest) I've paid perhaps $10 in interest, on a single cash advance I used because Interac sucks and doesn't work in Cuba. It's not rocket science: debt is a dangerous but useful tool, and you need to be able to understand what situations you should use it in.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

PT6A posted:

It's still your choice to spend or not spend the money. [...] debt is a dangerous but useful tool, and you need to be able to understand what situations you should use it in.

Sure, and I agree with this. I did make the choice to blow money with no regard to how I'd afford it later. At the time, I was a complete imbicile about money. I spent and spent and eventually maxed the card out with interest and such. I'm still paying it off, ten years later, because I just didn't know enough about how credit works to have been given that kind of access to it; I've been in lovely finances since and only been concentrating on paying it down the past year or so. I'll get there eventually.

Anyway, I really should not have been given the limit I was given. I hosed myself with a generous amount of help from my bank, and I'm still dealing with the fallout. Not all of us grow up in financially competant homes, after all; both my parents are so bad with money they've each declared bankruptcy twice. Neither one of them was competant enough to advise me on how to handle that card, and I've had to learn an excruciatingly hard lesson as a result. (My avatar says the things it says to remind me.)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sure, and I agree with this. I did make the choice to blow money with no regard to how I'd afford it later. At the time, I was a complete imbicile about money. I spent and spent and eventually maxed the card out with interest and such. I'm still paying it off, ten years later, because I just didn't know enough about how credit works to have been given that kind of access to it; I've been in lovely finances since and only been concentrating on paying it down the past year or so. I'll get there eventually.

Anyway, I really should not have been given the limit I was given. I hosed myself with a generous amount of help from my bank, and I'm still dealing with the fallout. Not all of us grow up in financially competant homes, after all; both my parents are so bad with money they've each declared bankruptcy twice. Neither one of them was competant enough to advise me on how to handle that card, and I've had to learn an excruciatingly hard lesson as a result.

I'd say the obvious solution is to use schools to educate children on financial responsibility, and how various financial instruments work. Cutting off access to credit is only addressing a symptom, not the cause, and there are circumstances in which it would be advantageous to have a moderate credit limit like $2000. If your car is hosed and you can't go to work, better to get it fixed on credit and keep making money, and then pay that off with a secured loan at a lower rate, for example. There are tons of cases where temporary use of credit is useful or necessary, none of which include carrying credit card debt over the long term.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ it'll never happen, but I agree completely that education is the ideal solution here.

See also: discussion in the politics thread about the old chestnut "I can't do any more overtime or I'll be bumped into the next tax bracket and make less money" :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lexicon posted:

^ it'll never happen, but I agree completely that education is the ideal solution here.

See also: discussion in the politics thread about the old chestnut "I can't do any more overtime or I'll be bumped into the next tax bracket and make less money" :downs:

Oh Jesus christ, this times 1000.

On the other hand, why do we even need "brackets?" Couldn't we have a piecewise function where, between a minimum and maximum income, your tax rate is a function of your taxable income, such that it's progressive and simple to understand that you'll never lose money from having more income? Brackets seem so inelegant.