Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

They are absolutely overreacting, but I deeply understand the frustration. I guess what I'm trying to say is FINISH THE drat BOOK ALREADY BUTCHER!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I uhh liked the night before Christmas short story that Jim posted. Anyone else?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I just finished Wisdom's Grave and wow. I thought it was a little abrupt in how it wrapped everything up but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
That Christmas story was great. Legit made me tear up a little

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Sympathetic pain flickered on his face.

This is some crappy writing. It's like the author challenged himself to make the most roundabout expression in the fewest words instead just saying "he looked sorry for me".

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

This is some crappy writing. It's like the author challenged himself to make the most roundabout expression in the fewest words instead just saying "he looked sorry for me".

Cool story man, nice to see two words ruined the whole story for you.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
No, you see " he looked sorry for me" is simply superior prose based on metrics which he can not and will not expand upon!

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

-Fish- posted:

Unless you've somehow already paid him money for the unfinished book, it's entirely possible that you're overreacting just a bit. If you haven't paid him money he doesn't owe you a book. Chill out and read a different book.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect a "yeah, I'm still working on it" at least once every six months.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to expect a "yeah, I'm still working on it" at least once every six months.

It kinda is.

Like, I hate stories left unfinished, and there's no question that Dresden Files is a story that is both "of a time" and heavily dependant on forward momentum. As with all serial fiction, long gaps between installments kill reader enthusiasm. But, but, Butcher is not our dancing monkey. Whatever caused him to break stride, he's allowed to take his time or never write another word as he pleases. He doesn't owe us anything—not even an occasional progress update—and to imply otherwise speaks to an unhealthy sense of entitlement.

Edit: not that it's good business to leave folks hanging, but either way it is his business and we ought to leave him to it. Like you said, there's plenty of other good UF out there these days so enjoy that and when, or if ever the next book comes out decide then if you're still invested enough to care.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 26, 2018

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Skippy McPants posted:

It kinda is.

Like, I hate stories left unfinished, and there's no question that Dresden Files is a story that is both "of a time" and heavily dependant on forwarding momentum. As with all serial fiction, long gaps between installments kill reader enthusiasm. But, but, Butcher is not our dancing monkey. Whatever caused him to break stride, he's allowed to take his time or never write another word as he pleases. He doesn't owe us anything—not even an occasional progress update—and to imply otherwise speaks to an unhealthy sense of entitlement.

Edit: not that it's good business to leave folks hanging, but either way it is his business and we ought to leave him to it. Like you said, there's plenty of other good UF out there these days so enjoy that and when, or if ever the next book comes out decide then if you're still invested enough to care.

If it wasn’t for this thread I’d have forgotten that Jim Butcher existed by now, and I read this thread for other UF chat.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
On the other hand, if you have no intention of finishing a job you ought to officially quit.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

navyjack posted:

If it wasn’t for this thread I’d have forgotten that Jim Butcher existed by now, and I read this thread for other UF chat.

Same

biracial bear for uncut posted:

On the other hand, if you have no intention of finishing a job you ought to officially quit.

Nah

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I just started reading Lies Sleeping and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. (Though I clearly have to start hunting down some of the ancillary material and/or reread the rest of the series again because I've completely forgotten, or never knew, a number of the characters and events described.)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

docbeard posted:

I just started reading Lies Sleeping and I'm enjoying it a lot so far. (Though I clearly have to start hunting down some of the ancillary material and/or reread the rest of the series again because I've completely forgotten, or never knew, a number of the characters and events described.)

I enjoyed it a lot, which surprised me given how some of the more prolific posters in this thread did not like it much at all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This whole thing about WHERE'S THE BOOK, BUTCHER has played out time and time again with various authors.

The best rebuttal to it remains Gaiman's "GRRM is not your bitch" blog post from almost ten years ago.

http://journal.neilgaiman.com/2009/05/entitlement-issues.html

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 26, 2018

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

This whole thing about WHERE'S THE BOOK, BUTCHER has played out time and time again with various authors.

The best rebuttal to it remains Gaiman's "GRRM is not your bitch" blog post from almost ten years ago.

You have to wonder how embarrassed Gaiman is about having written that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Drone Jett posted:

I would assume "not at all"

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Drone Jett posted:

Considering that it's still 100% in its description of the relationship between artists and audiences I'm going to guess that he isn't.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Seems like somebody's not on the ball. The latest thing millennials are killing is giving notice to employers. The hot new thing is just ghosting.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Don't harass or otherwise be unpleasant to authors who aren't writing fast enough for your tastes (or at all)" is a fine sentiment.

"Don't dare to express disappointment or even have an opinion about a series of books you enjoyed basically disappearing without a trace" is dumb.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Have Butcher and Gurm been hanging out?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

docbeard posted:

"Don't harass or otherwise be unpleasant to authors who aren't writing fast enough for your tastes (or at all)" is a fine sentiment.

"Don't dare to express disappointment or even have an opinion about a series of books you enjoyed basically disappearing without a trace" is dumb.

There's a big gulf between being disappointed and posting about the dude like they personally know him and calling for his retirement. Dude had a lot of really bad poo poo happen to him for a long time. Book's coming and everyone knows it. Folks need to chill a little.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

ConfusedUs posted:

Thing is, Gaiman's kinda wrong. The question was polite and he's coming down hugely harshly

The fact is that if a writer ends with a cliffhanger and promises a sequel, and the book is marketed as one in a series, then a promise has been made that at some point the author will make a good faith effort to finish said series. Otherwise it should have been marketed as a one volume story, not a series with a promised conclusion.

As long as an author is trying, Gaiman's got a point. And the internet is quick to assume bad faith. But, yknow, if the author has stopped trying, then a promise was made and has been failed.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

-Fish- posted:

There's a big gulf between being disappointed and posting about the dude like they personally know him and calling for his retirement. Dude had a lot of really bad poo poo happen to him for a long time. Book's coming and everyone knows it. Folks need to chill a little.

Why? Jim Butcher isn't here, he's not being attacked by this thread. This is no more than venting, and venting doesn't hurt anyone. Telling people to chill for posting here is meaningless. This is exactly where they shouldn't be chill.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

torgeaux posted:

Why? Jim Butcher isn't here, he's not being attacked by this thread. This is no more than venting, and venting doesn't hurt anyone. Telling people to chill for posting here is meaningless. This is exactly where they shouldn't be chill.

I like this thread and it sucks seeing people making GBS threads it up by wheeling out their best Doctor Doom impression to complain about an author taking longer than they want.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

-Fish- posted:

I like this thread and it sucks seeing people making GBS threads it up by wheeling out their best Doctor Doom impression to complain about an author taking longer than they want.

Sure, but it happens infrequently, and they have a point. It's frustrating as hell for a book to take a long time. They've got no right to the book one second before the author is done, but they have every right to be frustrated.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

-Fish- posted:

Look, it is a perfectly reasonable response to a book being late to steal the Horn of Atlantis and command all the folk of the sea to rise up before their new master, DOOM.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

torgeaux posted:

Sure, but it happens infrequently, and they have a point. It's frustrating as hell for a book to take a long time. They've got no right to the book one second before the author is done, but they have every right to be frustrated.

Like I said, being frustrated is fine. I'm frustrated with it myself. Jim Butcher is probably frustrated with it. But also it's the internet in 2018 and echo chamber frustration with content creators turn into real life harrassment on a regular basis. Folks are talking about the series "disappearing without a trace" like he didn't release a short story that ties into the upcoming book literally two days ago, or a short story compilation a few months ago.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

-Fish- posted:

Like I said, being frustrated is fine. I'm frustrated with it myself. Jim Butcher is probably frustrated with it. But also it's the internet in 2018 and echo chamber frustration with content creators turn into real life harrassment on a regular basis. Folks are talking about the series "disappearing without a trace" like he didn't release a short story that ties into the upcoming book literally two days ago, or a short story compilation a few months ago.

The worst thing anyone has threatened (which is not even the correct word) to do in this thread is to read stuff by other authors.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

-Fish- posted:

Real life harassment is bad. It's not the inevitable result of people here bitching though, and the online bitching in a thread like this shouldn't receive the same condemnation.

I went through the frustration phase. Now, I'm just done with the series. Not because Butcher failed me, but as the natural consequence of the delay. I've moved on, and my thirst for the next book has dampened....a lot. I'll still buy it, but I won't go back and re-read he series in advance like I have previously, I won't buy the hardcover AND the kindle, and I'm not particularly excited about it. I'm not rushing out to read the short story, either.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

torgeaux posted:

I went through the frustration phase. Now, I'm just done with the series. Not because Butcher failed me, but as the natural consequence of the delay. I've moved on, and my thirst for the next book has dampened....a lot. I'll still buy it, but I won't go back and re-read he series in advance like I have previously, I won't buy the hardcover AND the kindle, and I'm not particularly excited about it. I'm not rushing out to read the short story, either.

Yeah, that's more or less where I'm at. When (if) Peace Talks is released, I'll buy it, I'll read it, but the magic's gone.

Short story was pretty good, though.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

torgeaux posted:

Real life harassment is bad. It's not the inevitable result of people here bitching though, and the online bitching in a thread like this shouldn't receive the same condemnation.

Yeah and it's not getting the same condemnation from me at least. Literal harrassment would be worthy of a little more than "y'all are overreacting and sound like doctor Doom, chill out" which is all I've said at this point. I'm aware it's not inevitable but it's possible, especially with nobody saying "hey maybe cool it a little, it's a book that you haven't even paid for yet". I don't feel like that's an unreasonable concern or an unreasonable response, but hey I could be wrong about it.

Edit: Also I'll definitely say, after looking back the tone of the original post I was referring to reads a lot less severe after being awake for a few hours than it did when I'd just gotten out of bed.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 26, 2018

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

That Christmas story was great. Question though, I'm assuming (potentially spoilers for Peace Talks) the deaths they refer to are something that happen in Peace Talks, a book we haven't gotten yet? They say "peace talks", but it's weird to reference something that hasn't happened yet. I guess that means Molly, Mab, Michael, Mouse, Maggie (that is a poo poo ton of M names) all get out of Peace Talks alive?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
At what point does it become finantially viable and socially considerate to just find some up and coming author/fan-fiction wizard to just pen the whole back eight for him?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

At what point does it become finantially viable and socially considerate to just find some up and coming author/fan-fiction wizard to just pen the whole back eight for him?

Schaefer, ghost write the Dresden!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

M_Gargantua posted:

Ah yes, the James Patterson approach.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I didn't mind waiting for the next Dresden until you guys pointed out how long it's been. I guess I never realized he might never finish the series and some of you have already accepted the series' demise. That's a bummer but I guess I treat book series like video games in early access. Have I gotten my money's worth already? Hell yes so I don't care if it's never finished. Mind you, I do want the series to be finished, but I hope Butcher sorts through his many things to do and churns 'em out. I'd rather wait a long time for Peace Talks and then hopefully have a semi-regular release after once he finds his stride. At the very least, if we never get a conclusion in the 10+ books he's promised us, I hope at least the big metaplot gets spoiled at cons.

I just finished Lies Sleeping. Man Kobna Holdbrook-Smith knocks it out of the park every time. Maybe it's because I just listened to Percy Jackson series, but boy Rivers of London is great. Some of you complained it was a bit too meta-heavy and while granted yes, it's also exactly what I wanted? I wanted the overarching thread to move forward and that book was it. I distinctly remember the thread complaining that The Hanging Tree did too little to move the plot forward. Regardless, Aaronovitch did a good job of reminding my dumb self what happened in previous books.

It sure seems that the book series is winding down. Do we know how many books are left? Also, (mild spoiler) sign me the gently caress up for short stories/spinoff in Peter's Met in 5 years with bureaucratic nonsense for weird bollocks. Kind of the promise I wanted from The Rook, but with more mundane events..

Also, what the gently caress do I read now? I want something fun and light to listen to while walking the dog. I don't mind dabbling in YF. Maybe some dumb schlocky power fantasy? Percy Jackson was okay even if twice the age of the intended audience.

Read and loved: Rivers of London, Alex Verus, The Rook + Stiletto, Libromancer (eh decent). I bounced hard off of Laundry Files #1 and Daniel Faust #1. Maybe I should give LF or DF a second chance?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Xtanstic posted:

Read and loved: Rivers of London, Alex Verus, The Rook + Stiletto, Libromancer (eh decent). I bounced hard off of Laundry Files #1 and Daniel Faust #1. Maybe I should give LF or DF a second chance?

I think you should try Laundry again, but skip the first two books (Atrocity Archive and Jennifer Morgue). Kind of like Dresden, it doesn't really find its feet until the third book.

Faust picks up pretty fast in book 2 and that whole universe is a rollicking good time except the first couple of Harmony Black spinoffs.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Rivers of London is my favorite of the London urban fantasy genre. It's genuinely creepy, the consequences are extremely dire, and it's a drastic departure from the sort of power fantasy narrative that's prevalent in this kind of fiction. There's a couple moments where I was saying out loud 'Oh God, no, don't do that!'

It is very very easy to bounce off though on account of a slow and confusing introduction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

If you want some more Percy Jackson, the Heroes of Olympus series (the sequel series) is better than the original IMO, especially the second book.