Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Justin_Brett posted:

The Sun at Night is a pretty cool game, and if you bought the Groupees Greenlight bundle it was in I'd give it a try. Just be warned the map sucks.
I wanted to like it, but the combat was not fun (since the dog always seemed to be moving at mach speed causing me to run into every enemy) and every time dialogue popped up it was just grating and verbose. I'm hoping that more polish goes into the rest of the series but the first game is hard to recommend without being frustrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
30 minutes into Tower of Guns and my first impressions are good, if a roguelike FPS sounds like your thing.

I started out in a room with one exit and a few coins scattered around. Shotted my gun a few times to see how it worked and it wasn't that great. First room was teaching me to shoot things and you get coins/health/gun experience out of it. My gun levelled up to level 2 and was shooting slightly bigger bullets.

The 'enemies' are guns and bullets. You have to go get from randomly generated room to the next and sometimes fight bosses (? few levels in I fought a skull shaped bull-horn gun thing that was trying to ram me while shooting at me. I killed it and got a thing that said it was giving me bonus gun xp each time I picked up a blue orb.

I went through another few rooms, found a secret area where I could fall down and either land in a lava pit or land on a pipe, walking across the pipe led to this metroid-gun-bubble looking thing that said it cost 100 coins to open, but I only had 85. I took the teleport back out of there and up a ramp only to get killed in the next room by these rotating 8-shot rocket launchers up in the ceiling that I had no idea would be spawning like that up there.

Lesson learned; this game is awesome.

edit: I got to choose a starting gun (both lovely, but lots more unlockable), and one 'perk' for that run. Only two perks were unlocked out of a dozen or so, 'no falling damage' and 'triple-jump'. Triple-jump is way better it turns out because you can use your jump(s) while falling if you need to.

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 18, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Ok so if you're talking about visual novels I'll believe you because when it comes to old school adventure games I don't think there's a single one that just had you talking to NPCs and not doing puzzles and poo poo with item combinations
Loom didn't have inventory items but it had that music note system.

Honestly though, The Colonel's Bequest is practically a visual novel because a lot of the gameplay involves eavesdropping on NPC's combinations. You can die in the game, of course-- it's a Sierra game-- but it's usually by doing really obviously boneheaded poo poo, like continuing to lean against a railing that's fragile or showering in a haunted house, stuff like that. Dagger of Amon Ra got way more into the 'slasher' vibes by having you constantly chased by a killer and such.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZv69lOWx2s

mr. nobody posted:

30 minutes into Tower of Guns and my first impressions are good, if a roguelike FPS sounds like your thing.

I started out in a room with one exit and a few coins scattered around. Shotted my gun a few times to see how it worked and it wasn't that great. First room was teaching me to shoot things and you get coins/health/gun experience out of it. My gun levelled up to level 2 and was shooting slightly bigger bullets.

The 'enemies' are guns and bullets. You have to go get from randomly generated room to the next and sometimes fight bosses (? few levels in I fought a skull shaped bull-horn gun thing that was trying to ram me while shooting at me. I killed it and got a thing that said it was giving me bonus gun xp each time I picked up a blue orb.

I went through another few rooms, found a secret area where I could fall down and either land in a lava pit or land on a pipe, walking across the pipe led to this metroid-gun-bubble looking thing that said it cost 100 coins to open, but I only had 85. I took the teleport back out of there and up a ramp only to get killed in the next room by these rotating 8-shot rocket launchers up in the ceiling that I had no idea would be spawning like that up there.

Lesson learned; this game is awesome.
It's a good game and you'll unlock different weapons that handle differently. I was never a fan of the starting one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Yaws posted:

How is Xenonauts?

Play either XCOM classic or XCOM Enemy Unknown.

I think someone in this thread described it as a nice attempt to modernize the old XCOM UI but still failed to fix a lot of problems or make the game engaging in any way other then "get missions, kill stuff, repeat"

This is from the top Steam negative review, seems to be someone who loved the old XCOM games

quote:

The ground combat really kills it.
Seriously, the line of sight/fire issues are horrible. I like playing games like this without saving (I did so with JA2) but here, to me, it seems impossible. It's just not intuitive. If I have a soldier crouch in the center on a warehouse rooftop, he shouldn't be able to get shot by someone hugging the warehouse wall. Or all the times I've moved a heavy for a slightly better position, only to be informed I now have 0% chance to hit, or something silly like a windowpane blocking 50% of my shots and not enough TUs to get back to my original position and fire. Also, I think the entire MG spray hit chance is calculated when you fire, because I've tried firing through those silly waist high walls with screens on them that you get in UFOs, which give you 0% chance to hit your target, because I figured ok, 1 round blows them away and the rest spray the alien behind... well, no, they all randomly hit the air where the screen used to be. This stuff kind of breaks a tactics game. JA2 didn't have these issues and that was 15 years ago...

Mission variety:
There really isn't any. I know there wasn't that much in the original game either, but if there's one aspect where I think the game could've evolved, it's this one.
There was just so much wasted potential here, extraction missions, coming to enforce local forces battle lines (I think they promised a static tank emplacement at one point), pilot rescue missions, I don't know, anything?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dominic White posted:

Half a day til' Elminage, then another half-day until Wasteland 2. loving hell.

+Roundabout, Endless Legend and Age of Wonders 3 expansion. SO glad I have no other purchase plans this year.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

pentyne posted:

I think someone in this thread described it as a nice attempt to modernize the old XCOM UI but still failed to fix a lot of problems or make the game engaging in any way other then "get missions, kill stuff, repeat"

This is from the top Steam negative review, seems to be someone who loved the old XCOM games
I mean I understand the granularity of stuff like Time Units can offer but holy crap did watching someone play it bore me because it was more like they were doing accounting homework or something when it was their turn.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

Ok so if you're talking about visual novels I'll believe you because when it comes to old school adventure games I don't think there's a single one that just had you talking to NPCs and not doing puzzles and poo poo with item combinations

Man, Final Fantasy 7 would be weird like this.

Use Door.
Cloud: It's locked!

Use Sword on Door.
Cloud: Hmmm, that doesn't work here.
Use Materia on Door.
Use Blonde Wig on Door.
Combine Blonde Wig with Materia.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Sober posted:

I mean I understand the granularity of stuff like Time Units can offer but holy crap did watching someone play it bore me because it was more like they were doing accounting homework or something when it was their turn.
It's actually quite engaging to play, though it does appear very bland just observing it. I honestly find it pretty tough to go back to early X-Com, even though it's got the stronger aesthetic.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Niggurath posted:

I wanted to like it, but the combat was not fun (since the dog always seemed to be moving at mach speed causing me to run into every enemy) and every time dialogue popped up it was just grating and verbose. I'm hoping that more polish goes into the rest of the series but the first game is hard to recommend without being frustrated.

Yeah, the combat is probably its biggest flaw but the game is still worth it. The devs are also working on a sequel and seems like they're trying to iron out most the rough spots of the first game (like adding a proper 2D map instead of the clusterfuck of a 3D map). It's called The Sky Below.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How many hours into ETS2 do I need before going "This is enough, time to buy a real Semi and drive for a living"

150 games in my inventory and somehow still end up playing this game every day.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, the combat is probably its biggest flaw but the game is still worth it. The devs are also working on a sequel and seems like they're trying to iron out most the rough spots of the first game (like adding a proper 2D map instead of the clusterfuck of a 3D map). It's called The Sky Below.
Aye, I think I made it through the prison and was just bumbling my way through air vents and similar rooms over and over again getting lost and not knowing how to finish side quests and just getting frustrated. Still I can't hate on because it's at least an original idea and it was worth the price I got the game for.

Also you guys should be super hyped for Roundabout : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA3Sm7mJLtE cause that comes out tomorrow!

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Hmmm. Looks like my Paypal login also doesn't work. Wonder if they reset a bunch of peoples profiles or something.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Niggurath posted:

Aye, I think I made it through the prison and was just bumbling my way through air vents and similar rooms over and over again getting lost and not knowing how to finish side quests and just getting frustrated. Still I can't hate on because it's at least an original idea and it was worth the price I got the game for.

Also you guys should be super hyped for Roundabout : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA3Sm7mJLtE cause that comes out tomorrow!

Oh poo poo, really? gently caress yeah, can't wait for my preorder key then! super hyped, was pretty drat fun when I tried it.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Harminoff posted:

How many hours into ETS2 do I need before going "This is enough, time to buy a real Semi and drive for a living"

150 games in my inventory and somehow still end up playing this game every day.

My dad is a truck driver. He says just keep playing the game, it's not worth it.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Little bit more info came out about Final Fantasy XV at TGS.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/heres-the-final-fantasy-xv-tgs-trailer/2300-9468/

As someone who hasn't really enjoyed the series for awhile, I'll actually buy this when it comes to PC? It looks like the four protagonists are also just sick of/confused by the Final Fantasy storyshit, and looks more like a roadtrip through what Japan thinks America is. Also no Nomura for the art design, so everything looks somewhat normal which is fine by me.

It looks like it's Final Fantasy for people who hate Final Fantasy, which makes me interested in it.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 18, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No Nomura? loving sold.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
There's been no word on a possible XV PC port. XIII, XIII-2, and Lighting Returns are the ones that are getting ported to PC. I am super hyped for XV, though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

pentyne posted:

Entirely separate things there, bub.

pentyne posted:

Modern XCOM really broke that mold, didn't they?

It's homage du xcom classique, so you'll get everything that has to offer, minus some of the bullshit, but plus the RNG that hates you personally. *It can get samey*, but it's moddable, and they did throw in a little spice around aerial terror attacks. An early game tip is the bludgeon aliens into submission, and avoid night missions.

The 76% metacritic feels deserved.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lance Streetman posted:

There's been no word on a possible XV PC port. XIII, XIII-2, and Lighting Returns are the ones that are getting ported to PC. I am super hyped for XV, though.

15's coming to PC.

And holy poo poo it looks nice.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 18, 2014

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Lance Streetman posted:

They've said several times now that "Well you know, IF IT WAS TO HAPPEN, and we can't say it will obviously, but well, it'd be a really beefy game! People would need really high tech PCs to run it. Just saying. You know. For 2016 when it's released, you might want to save up for better parts. *cough*"

Also how they always follow it up with a joke about how easy it would be to port, since it's being made with DirectX.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay, Shadowrun. There's the base game and Dragonfall? Should I play one before the other?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Okay, Shadowrun. There's the base game and Dragonfall? Should I play one before the other?

play dragonfall and never look back

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SynthOrange posted:

The base game is pretty good, but if it really starts to drag on you then feel free to just play Dragonfall.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Hav posted:

but plus the RNG that hates you personally.
want to emphasize this

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
So, has anyone tried Space Channel 5 on Steam? I used to love those games on Dreamcast back in the day.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Dominic White posted:

Looks like Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut was released a day earlier than I was expecting! Anyone with Dragonfall should find it in their games library now. I'm installing it right this second.

I really like the look of the new UI in this version. Looks a lot more like modern XCom, which is hardly a bad thing.

Half a day til' Elminage, then another half-day until Wasteland 2. loving hell.

Europe? Huh, Wasteland 2 is still $60? That's screaming wait for Christmas/New Years sale to me. I am still messing around with D:OS and just got Underrail.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

oblomov posted:

Huh, Wasteland 2 is still $60?

The price will drop when it releases.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Rookersh posted:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/heres-the-final-fantasy-xv-tgs-trailer/2300-9468/

As someone who hasn't really enjoyed the series for awhile, I'll actually buy this when it comes to PC? It looks like the four protagonists are also just sick of/confused by the Final Fantasy storyshit, and looks more like a roadtrip through what Japan thinks America is. Also no Nomura for the art design, so everything looks somewhat normal which is fine by me.

It looks like it's Final Fantasy for people who hate Final Fantasy, which makes me interested in it.

This looks hella cool but I'm very disappointed blondie is a dude.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The ending to Little Inferno is.. interesting. Rarely do you see a genre change happen right in the final minutes.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Disappointing... or super hot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Iron Rose posted:

I thought he was a girl until I heard the voice. But then it's Japan, where the girls are guys and the guys are guys. It's only a girl if it wears a skirt.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Niggurath posted:

Back in April I won copy of the game in a Goon Contest by unleashing my inner 10 year old and drawing a stupid picture. Been looking forward to it ever since. Let's go, Georgio! :getin:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rookersh posted:

Jesus Christ, its about loving time they released some actual game footage again. I'm feeling a lot more positive about the game seeing this, but they still need to do a lot more to work off their Duke Nukem Forever Vaporware King image 13x/15 has had going on for a near decade of development.

Also, I don't remember when I preordered roundabout, but it's going to suck waiting another 10 hours for it to unlock on steam. :saddowns:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Crabtree posted:

Jesus Christ, its about loving time they released some actual game footage again. I'm feeling a lot more positive about the game seeing this, but they still need to do a lot more to work off their Duke Nukem Forever Vaporware King image 13x/15 has had going on for a near decade of development.

They had released gameplay videos as far back as E3 of 2013. E3 of 2014 was big for them, too.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Rookersh posted:

Ungh. THis looks awesome. I am A ok with taking a road trip across fantasy country side and stopping to kill the wild life with your bros.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leper Residue posted:

Ungh. THis looks awesome. I am A ok with taking a road trip across fantasy country side and stopping to kill the wild life with your bros.

Looks like you have at least some control over the driving too. I'm totally down for just pulling up beside a paddock and going to town on the local wildlife :black101:.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Huh, Gods will be watching was pretty fun until chapter 5 when it turns into unfun bullshit as you try to navigate a randomly generated desert with a time limit and instant death events and no way to tell if you were actually close to the end goal or not. After trying the level ~10 times the game is now in my "Never gonna finish" category.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief any good? Just got a trio of 75%-off vouchers for it in my inventory.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The price will drop when it releases.

Wouldn't it make more sense to pay less if you're "backing" their game by buying Early Access, and then raise the price for the final version of the game?

I mean, I'm not one of those who sees the appeal of digital art books, so why shouldn't I wait for a more polished and cheaper version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Cable posted:

Wouldn't it make more sense to pay less if you're "backing" their game by buying Early Access, and then raise the price for the final version of the game?

I mean, I'm not one of those who sees the appeal of digital art books, so why shouldn't I wait for a more polished and cheaper version?
They keep the higher price to avoid bitching from the Kickstarter backers who paid the current price for the beta access ages ago.

• Locked thread