Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Agrikk posted:

I wrote a set of lambda functions to wget every page in a thread then use text to speech to create podcasts. Then I narrate responses using an Alexa skill.

The worst part of this poo poo post is that it's probably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm already on thin ice with the Mac thread, so I will not be changing the thread title to that.

Maybe we need to have a discussion about unmanaged conflicts of interest

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The Mac dudes pay him more. Haven't you seen the commercials? He's a Justin Long all day.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

tehinternet posted:

Did you give them rope to hang themselves or did you reach out to their manager?

It’s an outsourced helpdesk / MSP so they are given enough rope to breach the contract.

Some of the other bangers lately have been spending an hour trying to reset a users password only to declare our environment is too complicated (it’s azuread) and certificates they set up expiring around Christmas with no tracking.

They are getting paid around 180k/yr and we average less than 8 tier 1 tickets a month. Most of which they are incapable of resolving properly.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cyks posted:

It’s an outsourced helpdesk / MSP so they are given enough rope to breach the contract.

Some of the other bangers lately have been spending an hour trying to reset a users password only to declare our environment is too complicated (it’s azuread) and certificates they set up expiring around Christmas with no tracking.

They are getting paid around 180k/yr and we average less than 8 tier 1 tickets a month. Most of which they are incapable of resolving properly.

I'll give you my personal cell phone and handle your tier 1 tickets personally.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Cyks posted:

Speaking to my heart

Our MSP’s “integration” makes an API call for every single loving thing that gets changed in a ticket.

A separate API call.

Meaning one ticket that has maybe some automation attached to it can choke out about 50% of our calls per minute limit to FreshService.

It’s so loving irritating. The SD manager is a great guy, but he doesn’t get it and yeah. It’s just kind of become the new normal and I build around it (which I should have been doing anyways but yeah).

MSPs, man.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Cyks posted:

I will also gladly handle two password resets a week for $180k/year.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m just overly annoyed and ranting as I spend more time fixing things they do than services they actually provide at this point and I’m having to go through the services they “managed” prior to when I started and fixing it. They never got conditional access working; the only ones set up were incorrect and only ever deployed to their test account. All BYOD were enrolled using MDM but no MAM policies, with the only thing being checked was if they were rooted. Of course since they had no CA it didn’t actually matter and users could just not enroll and still have full access. No apps deployed using intune, just give everyone local admin access.

Users just straight up refusing to call and instead sending me a message on Teams, which I really don’t blame them, because you sit on hold for 20-40 minutes before tier 1 answers the phones and tries to resolve it themselves for over an hour until transferring you or giving up.

edit- That support cost is slatted go up another $145k over the next 18 months as we bring on 200 more users so I might need two car washes out of your offers.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 17, 2023

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Cyks posted:

Forget those other 2 guys, I'll wash your car and handle the password resets for 180k a year.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jaegerx posted:

Forget those other 2 guys, I'll wash your car and handle the password resets for 180k a year.

They don't want to bring their car to Texas to get it washed.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

KillHour posted:

They don't want to bring their car to Texas to get it washed.

For 8 tickets a month, I'll travel to wash your car.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

jaegerx posted:

For 8 tickets a month, I'll travel to wash your car.

Don't let him have access to your car, he'll put tens of thousands of miles on it driving to visit Clam.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
hire me and I will do nothing whatsoever, thus significantly increasing your overall productivity

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Cyks posted:

edit- That support cost is slatted go up another $145k over the next 18 months as we bring on 200 more users so I might need two car washes out of your offers.

I'll detail the inside as well.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I actually saw a tier 1 at a msp get fired for incompetence.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have a guy come onsite 1 day a week for $85/hr and all he does is unbox, image computers, re-box.

Worth it.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

GreenNight posted:

We have a guy come onsite 1 day a week for $85/hr and all he does is unbox, image computers, re-box.

Worth it.

still not enough to come into the office imo

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well he's from the MSP so how much of that he gets I don't know.

I'm in the office 5 days a week but I'm spending my life doing level 1-2 tickets and not what the job description said. It's fine for now but won't be for long.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Cyks posted:

I’m just overly annoyed and ranting as I spend more time fixing things they do than services they actually provide at this point and I’m having to go through the services they “managed” prior to when I started and fixing it.

This just sucks. The whole reason you’re hiring them is to make your life easier. If they don’t understand they’re doing the opposite while costing you money it’s time to :sever: and pocket their cut yourself via the LLC you’re setting up.

Edit: missed the gang tangs going up. Thanks for the hard work IE! And props to KillHour creating it

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

GreenNight posted:

Well he's from the MSP so how much of that he gets I don't know.

I'm in the office 5 days a week but I'm spending my life doing level 1-2 tickets and not what the job description said. It's fine for now but won't be for long.

Based on my old consulting rates he probably gets like $30/hr of it, tops

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I got 40% of my rate in my MSP days

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Just lol at $85/hour to unpack, image and repack computers

I need to get in on that grift (actually I don’t because that would be boring as gently caress)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I got 40% of my rate in my MSP days

When I worked $AWFUL_JOB where I worked 70 hours a week for $50k in NYC, the owner uncharacteristically agreed to pay us extra $50/hour if we billed hours between 7pm-6am for customers that agreed to pay extra. It was a surprisingly nice concession since typically everything was geared around taking advantage of us.

I used to save tasks for the customers that paid the extra, and do them in the evening after putting my kid to bed, since I was working like a dog anyways. The manager got super pissed and expected me not do that, and instead work afterhours on customers that didn't pay the rate instead of gaming the system. We had a huge fight about it, since the customer didn't mind paying the OT rate, and a lot of the tasks were somewhat risky and I'd rather do them afterhours, but noooo, the manager instead had to try a power play on me and stopped approving the OT, so I stopped doing the tasks. One comical thing he said was if I was better at my job I wouldn't have to worry about making changes/updates during working hours.

Then the owner got involved and tried to convince me that when I did OT work they actually lost money. His math was basically:
Normal rate = $150/hour
OT rate = $250/hour
So when he pays me the $50, it's actually costs him $150 due to taxes and other costs.
The end result being it's better for him personally if I work less and he pays me more, ok thanks!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

GreenNight posted:

Worth it.

I'll do it better for $84.95

Edit: I meant this as a joke but for that kind of money I'd do anything, anywhere, any hour of the day, and I'd make myself look pleased about it.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jan 17, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

I'll do it better for $84.95

Edit: I meant this as a joke but for that kind of money I'd do anything, anywhere, any hour of the day, and I'd make myself look pleased about it.

I told the boss I'll come in on Saturday to get this done for $85/hr.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i hosed up my back over the long weekend and never realized how much of my job requires me to sit up

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

i hosed up my back over the long weekend and never realized how much of my job requires me to sit up

I mean there are jobs where you lay down all the time, but not in IT.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I mean there are jobs where you lay down all the time, but not in IT.

lies

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

tokin opposition posted:

did a number on my right knee yesterday wrestling with my dogs and, hooooo boy, sitting with the legs at a right angle all day is NOT good for swelling

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nothing makes you feel old like back pain.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Internet Explorer posted:

Nothing makes you feel old like back pain.

I got up from the couch on Sunday and did the whole stretch/yawn thing and my upper back spasmed for no real reason and was sore till Monday.

Over 40 where you can just hurt yourself moving and not doing anything interesting.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I slept on the wrong pillow once and my neck hurt for 3 days.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

i'm not even 30 :(

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

GreenNight posted:

I slept on the wrong pillow once and my neck hurt for 3 days.

Been there, done that, ow. ow ow ow. :smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I suggest ice hockey. Did wonders for strengthening my core. And use a standing desk for an hour or two per day.

(the first month was rough)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Eh, I do martial arts 5 times a week. It helps a lot, my lower back pain from sleeping disappeared completely, but it still doesn't completely stop your body from reminding you that it's starting to reach design limits with random minor catastrophes.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Losing weight is helping my back. I kinda hate that I so clearly created this problem for myself in the first place and thus have nothing / nobody else to blame.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

i'm not even 30 :(

I hear you! I have a pretty hosed up back, so I deal with all sorts of poo poo. Even in middle school, I'd deal with awful stiff necks for weeks at a time. I think I was under 30 when I tweaked my back so bad I could barely get in and off the bus.

Just saying it makes you feel real old real quick.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jan 17, 2023

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm in my early 40's and it doesn't get any better. Take care of your bodies goons! I haven't been 100% in probably 4 years. Fractured my ankle and it hasn't been right in forever, if my ankle's fine my shoulder hurts. It's always something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Laid on the floor of my toddlers room serving as her human bed and kleenex while she battles a cold. Wanted to try and let my wife get some sleep and trying to avoid bringing her into our bed.

Woke up at 6am covered in snot and soaked in pee. Could barely get up and walk straight the rest of the day. Wife and kid are well rested at least.