Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Occultatio posted:

LEVEL 6

seriously, it feels like i have, literally, tried everything. I genuinely don't know what I haven't tried. AAAAAAGH.

I'm going to go blow some poo poo up now in an easier game with explosions, because I am apparently not smart enough for snakebird.

(though I am certain it's the sort of game i'll keep poking at until, weeks from now, i finally figure it out and can move onto level 7)
Yeah, I got back into Snakebird recently after not playing for months and managed to solve a single level after grunting and growling at the screen for at least half an hour. Wouldn't be surprised if it was a full hour.

I love Snakebird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Are there any mahjong games on steam? My mom loves mahjong and I'd like to get her it, and put it on the desktop some how.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Man the guy dealing the cards in Hand of Fate is a total jerkwad and I love it

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

HogX posted:

Are there any mahjong games on steam? My mom loves mahjong and I'd like to get her it, and put it on the desktop some how.

Mahjong Roadshow
Mahjong Quest Collection
LUXOR: Mah Jong

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dont forget http://store.steampowered.com/app/379960/

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Ciaphas posted:

Man the guy dealing the cards in Hand of Fate is a total jerkwad and I love it

Steam has so many games with snarky narrators in them, it's great.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Hmm, are there any that are just mahjong? No quests or anything like that.

Ah yes perfect, my 60 year old mother will love that! The perfect christmas present: magical girl wifu mahjong

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jamfrost posted:

Time Tenshi is a game about time traveling and breasts. It also has a plot twist.

freak futanaris haven't been a plot twist since the early 2000s

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Yeah, I was mostly just ranting about dying so many times.

The transformer-top trick though, is that you have to be in one specific yard, and if you pick the wrong one there's a zillion zombies in the doorway between yards. Anyway, after several tries I found the RIGHT yard to get into and beat the mission at night. I then spent a good 5-10 minutes picking up the stuff the zillion zombies dropped, less because I needed it, and more out of sheer spite.

I also finally got a break and found an American Beretta in a locked police van in the northeast. (Shortly afterwards a vendor at the Ferry Terminal had a German pistol for sale, but that's neither here nor there.) I'm glad that the guns don't seem to degrade and break like anything else. (Unless they DO and you just can't repair them at all. :v: )

Guns don't break, no, but they are also just kind of there. I picked up one gun as a quest reward in the first zone and it was better (by a few points of damage) than the rest of the guns I found in the rest of the game. Guns are only really for certain parts of the game.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rookersh posted:

Wait, you traded Onimusha 3 and Jericho for that? Christ, you can still find Onimusha and Jericho combined for like $45 if you scratch around looking for hard to find taken off Steam games.

If anybody has a copy of Infernal or Wanted : Weapons of Fate hanging around in their Steam inventory, that's where the big bucks lie. Both of those go for $200+ these days.

Hint, by the way, if you have a copy of either of those games in your inventory, let me know!

e: Commandos Strike Force, Anno 1701, Empires Dawn of the Modern World, and The Movies are all also really hot commodities, though at this point, most people assume they are all used up/gone.

Oh dude, I'd do filthy filthy things to get The Movies on Steam or in digital format at all.

Even on Amazon the few copies that are there are ridiculously expensive except for some Superstar Edition that's only for the friggin Mac?!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jordan7hm posted:

Over in the roguelike thread we've been voting for our favorite roguelikes and posting thoughts about them, and afterwards there were prizes to hand out (some cool devs handed out RL keys, some goons kicked in games, and the rest was from my absurd bundle game overflow). There are apparently not enough regular posters to run through all the free games though. So I thought I'd share the wealth with the steam threads.

In exchange for one (1) game from the premium game list or multiple (no hard number just be reasonable) games from the base game from my cool Google Sheet, I would ask that you do the following:

1) Write a short blurb about your favorite roguelike / roguelite game. Just your absolute favorite. Keep in mind that we are super open about what a roguelike is. Basically if a dev thinks they can call their game that, we'll accept it. The blurb should be like a paragraph long. You can also just quote someone else's post about their favorite if it is also yours and expand on their comment.

2) In the same post include the name of the game(s) you would like.

3) In the same post if you do not have PMs post your steam ID and I will eventually add you and send the keys. If you have PMs I'll just message you on here.

For the new year we're doing a new roguelike thread and I'm going to include all these selections in our voting under a "non-roguelike players like these games" section.

Looking through my history, it seems I buy a lot of rogue-lites, but don't have much time on them. I seem to give up pretty early, heh.

I'm not sure if it counts, but perhaps my favorite Roguelike/Rogue-lite game would have to be...The Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series for the Nintendo handhelds. They're generally piss-easy, but something about running around randomly generated dungeons, being assigned randomly generated missions, finding loot, recruiting one of several hundred unique dudes, evolving, getting ca$h-mone¥, and having a mostly likable cast and crew has had me play several hundred hours of that damned game. They play off of the Mystery Dungeon series and have been pretty successful on the (regular/old) DS. I bought the most recent one for the 3DS (Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon) and I'm trying to get into it. The story is nice but the fighting is...off. Still, I'm trying!

If that doesn't work (Because I needed to do a steam game?), then I'd point to Black Ice, one of the few FPS games I can play casually. Hack buildings, shoot cyberbugs, loot or buy interesting weapons from shotguns to lasers to tron-discs, use gadgets like mines and EMPs, or even just summoned minions. It's EA and I wouldn't push anyone to buy it, but it's a unique experience I really like, plus it's pretty as all heck. :pcgaming:

If either are somehow eligible, I'd love Murdered: Soul Suspect, please. c:

Morter fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Dec 30, 2015

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Deakul posted:

Oh dude, I'd do filthy filthy things to get The Movies on Steam or in digital format at all.

Even on Amazon the few copies that are there are ridiculously expensive except for some Superstar Edition that's only for the friggin Mac?!

I have this same thought every couple of months. I would love to re-play this game but I don't think it's ever going to see the light of day again, sadly :(

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

HogX posted:

Hmm, are there any that are just mahjong? No quests or anything like that.

Ah yes perfect, my 60 year old mother will love that! The perfect christmas present: magical girl wifu mahjong

well, it's those three or waifu mahjong

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Morter posted:

If that doesn't work (Because I needed to do a steam game?), then I'd point to Black Ice, one of the few FPS games I can play casually. Hack buildings, shoot cyberbugs, loot or buy interesting weapons from shotguns to lasers to tron-discs, use gadgets like mines and EMPs, or even just summoned minions. It's EA and I wouldn't push anyone to buy it, but it's a unique experience I really like, plus it's pretty as all heck. :pcgaming:

If either are somehow eligible, I'd love Murdered: Soul Suspect, please. c:

Pokemon mystery dungeon totally counts as a roguelike, I don't care that it's not on steam. The best roguelike out there isn't on steam either. If you haven't you should step your console rogueliking up with Shiren the Wanderer though. That game is awesome and roguelike hard.

I had Black Ice on my wishlist but it was a back of mind thing. I'll make sure to keep a closer eye on it now.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Sweet, now I get to be a Dead-tective

A Private Die.

A Flatline-foot.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Morter posted:

A Private Die.

A Flatline-foot.

You playing Murder Soul Suspect? Aside from teh demon poo poo, it was actually pretty good.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Morter posted:

A Private Die.

A Flatline-foot.

An Inspectre.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
A polter-GHOST lollolol
heh.

...wait, wha-

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Jamfrost posted:

An Inspectre.

:golfclap:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Morter posted:

A Private Die.

A Flatline-foot.

Jamfrost posted:

An Inspectre.

Fine fellows, both of you.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
According to the pause menu I am 90% done with Dying Light. I just wrapped up fixing a broadcast. I can now say I have played two games with great radio tower climbs: Dying Light and Tomb Raider. What other dilapidated radio tower games am I missing out there?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just started playing SR2 coop with the Gentlemen of the Row mod. It's still as incredible as ever, though it does crash every 25 minutes or so...

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Ragequit posted:

According to the pause menu I am 90% done with Dying Light. I just wrapped up fixing a broadcast. I can now say I have played two games with great radio tower climbs: Dying Light and Tomb Raider. What other dilapidated radio tower games am I missing out there?

Far Cry 3.

I'm playing The Walking Dead Season 1 and man, I thought Kenny was my guy but I asked for help and now he's like "Bud, because you don't agree with literally everything I did, nope, not gonna help." I think that's my main complaint about this game, is that the dialogue options you're given aren't explained very well. Like, it would be great to be reasonable and say something like "Hey man, maybe let's not drop a salt lick on this guy's head, let's try CPR or something first" but nope can't do that. Gotta be one or the other. Oh well.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

americanzero4128 posted:

I'm playing The Walking Dead Season 1 and man, I thought Kenny was my guy but I asked for help and now he's like "Bud, because you don't agree with literally everything I did, nope, not gonna help." I think that's my main complaint about this game, is that the dialogue options you're given aren't explained very well. Like, it would be great to be reasonable and say something like "Hey man, maybe let's not drop a salt lick on this guy's head, let's try CPR or something first" but nope can't do that. Gotta be one or the other. Oh well.

That's pretty much every Telltale game,just to warn you.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Over in the roguelike thread we've been voting for our favorite roguelikes and posting thoughts about them, and afterwards there were prizes to hand out (some cool devs handed out RL keys, some goons kicked in games, and the rest was from my absurd bundle game overflow). There are apparently not enough regular posters to run through all the free games though. So I thought I'd share the wealth with the steam threads.

In exchange for one (1) game from the premium game list or multiple (no hard number just be reasonable) games from the base game from my cool Google Sheet, I would ask that you do the following:

1) Write a short blurb about your favorite roguelike / roguelite game. Just your absolute favorite. Keep in mind that we are super open about what a roguelike is. Basically if a dev thinks they can call their game that, we'll accept it. The blurb should be like a paragraph long. You can also just quote someone else's post about their favorite if it is also yours and expand on their comment.

3) In the same post if you do not have PMs post your steam ID and I will eventually add you and send the keys. If you have PMs I'll just message you on here.

For the new year we're doing a new roguelike thread and I'm going to include all these selections in our voting under a "non-roguelike players like these games" section.

I'd have to say that my absolute favorite Roguelike-ish game of all time (just judging by hours played) is Spelunky. I played the poo poo outta the free version waaaay back when it first got released, and the Steam version takes that base experience and polishes the gently caress outta it, with shiny new graphics and music, along with adding stuff like new items and energy types. You play as the spunkiest spelunker, making your way through a ~mysterious cave~ full of treasure, traps, bats, and trigger-happy shopkeepers. The cave's made up of 16 levels, split into 4 different zones; each with their own distinct enemies and environmental hazards to overcome.

I think my favorite thing about the game is how fair it is. Though there is a small amount of RNG (if you can somehow get a free shotgun in the first area, you will become death, destroyer of worlds) it won't ever get you killed. Most of the difficulty comes from being careful and being able to judge risk vs. reward - do you scrounge up every bit of gold you can find in order to afford that shiny weapon in the shop, or do you just bomb the gently caress outta the shopkeep and get all his stuff for free? (at the cost of being hounded by his friends for the rest of the game, if you survive the initial robbery in the first place.) Every time you die, you'll know exactly how and where you hosed up.

An honorable mention for my favorite traditional roguelike goes to One Way Heroics. An innovative premise, varied classes, great music and fun writing all add up to make an awesome experience. It usually goes for cheap, too.

(If it's alright, I'd love Avadon 2 and King's Bounty: Armored Princess, please! Steam ID is http://steamcommunity.com/id/dmboogie

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

Zigmidge posted:

Are there are Dying Light 4-pack recruitments going on around? I need two copies...

Yo, I could pay for the other two copies if you are still looking for a 4-pack.

Ceive fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 31, 2015

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

That's pretty much every Telltale game,just to warn you.

Yeah, the only Telltale games I've played are the Back to the Future and The Walking Dead. I mean, the writing in the story/game is great. It's just, sometimes I pick the dialogue and it's like "Woah, that is not at all what I meant by that" and then you've pissed someone off, or told them to leave, or something like that. Oh well. Game rocks and I would highly recommend it if you've got it rotting in your backlog like I did.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

In Xcom how frequently can you lose units and still be ok? I just got someone killed on an early mission (mostly because I didn't understand the unit) and still got a "good" rating on casualties.

edit: oh and I seem to be out of the tutorial stuff so I take back my earlier bitching.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 30, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

In Xcom how frequently can you lose units and still be ok? I just got someone killed on an early mission (mostly because I didn't understand the unit) and still got a "good" rating on casualties.

Coming from someone who is generally not great at XCOM losing some rookies, squaddies, and corporals early in the game is okay as it doesn't take much at all to get someone up a couple ranks. But it was when my general terribleness lost me Lieutenants, Captains, Majors, and Colonels that I would reload. There just didn't really seem to have enough missions to really build up more than maybe a squad and a half but again, I'm bad at XCOM-ing.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

If I remember correctly the rating for casualties is just 0 = best, 1 = still good, 2 = good but not as good, etc.

You can lose units all the time and still be okay, BUT you need to be sure to be training up at least some mainstays. Just like you, the aliens are upgrading their tech.

Basically, if you keep losing mooks/fodder, that's not so good but still doable. If you lose all the units you rely on mission to mission, then you're probably toast in the long run, as the enemies will outpace you.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jordan7hm posted:

My favorite is FTL. I feel like it really nails the opportunity for every player to have completely unique stories about their experiences. It was like actually being in charge of a spaceship, alone in the depths of space with no one but my small crew. The difficulty was hard but I was obsessed with continuing to play it because it just felt...addictive. Maybe it's the lack of good, simple space captain sims, but to me the appeal wasn't even getting to the end, it was just seeing how far I could get and what my ship encountered on each run.

Steam. The Stanley Parable, please~!

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

PantsBandit posted:

On my first and so far only finished playthrough I lost a Major who also was my only Sniper that wasn't a Squaddie with total poo poo for stats because I forgot that jumping/climbing only costs 1 movement and thought he was safe when he definitely wasn't, which got him eviscerated.

That kind of sucked, but mostly because there was no replacement. As long as you don't lose multiple important people without decent soldiers ready to take their places around I wouldn't sweat it.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 30, 2015

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Jordan7hm posted:

Alrighty, I'll give this a go.

There are plenty of rogue-likes and lites that I've enjoyed and despised including Crypt of the Necrodancer, Ironcast, FTL, Rogue Legacy, Dungeons of Dredmor, Dungeon of the Endless and so on. If I had to choose one and only one as my absolute favorite, I'd have to pick Crypt of the Necrodancer with Dungeon of the Endless, a game that mixes turn-based and real-time strategy with a dash of tower defense, as my close second.

Crypt of the Necrodancer knows how to make the player feel really good with its sick tunes and rhythm gameplay. It even had the foresight to include The Bard for players like me that need a turn-based character to fall back on when tapping to the beat is too overwhelming. Plus, sometimes I just wanted to hop over to the merchant and listen to him sing and by sometimes I mean all the time. It's a nicely balanced game that hardly gave me frustration with my deaths unlike Ironcast and FTL where the RNG gods could completely kill your run. I always have a fighting chance with CotN and I appreciate how different it is compared to other games in the genre. If you need to change things up, just pick a different character or even change the music the game uses with your own songs. It's an unlikely blend of genre defining mechanics that works very, very well and should be pleasing to most.

I'd like Contradiction, if it's there. I'm also curious to see the results. All that data!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I need to actually beat Xcom one of these days. Just to make sure I am on the right track...

1) Build as many satelites as possible, and make sure they are up as close to the end of the month as possible in case a nation needs it.
2) Sell as many alien materials possible in order to facilitate 1.
3) Be sure to build up rookies so you aren't up poo poo creek if a wipe does happen.
4) Stop being a stubborn baby playing on Classic and switch to Normal.

Also, to PantsBandit, there should be a toggle to skip all the tutorial stuff on future playthroughs.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I know everybody likes games like Axiom Verge and Environmental Station Alpha, but I'm a big graphics whore, can you goons recommend any Metroidvanias or Mega-man-likes with modern graphics?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

-Blackadder- posted:

I know everybody likes games like Axiom Verge and Environmental Station Alpha, but I'm a big graphics whore, can you goons recommend any Metroidvanias or Mega-man-likes with modern graphics?

If you haven't got it already, Shadow Complex Remastered is free for this month (so, a few days left).

That too!
VVV

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 30, 2015

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

-Blackadder- posted:

Is Ori and the Blind Forest modern enough?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
There is no shame in Ironman Easy. And then gradually bumping it up. Also, don't forget that building placement gives bonuses and stuff.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

-Blackadder- posted:

Strider
:siren: Bionic Commando Rearmed :siren:
Abyss Odyssey (kinda)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

This game is hard.

• Locked thread