Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

SomethingJones posted:

Considering the uncertainty involved when Chris Roberts' Fidelity Engine tries to move a wheel across a ramp I'd say that everything from entanglement to random interference is already modelled pretty well.

More evidence that CIG has downscaled their CryEngine level. It's pretty obvious the clipping, de-sync, and strange balsa-wood physics are due to quantum effects.

edit: mo-cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Needs more felidity

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tokamak posted:

Nah, it's some form of dynamic instancing where they can partition a region of space and assign it to a new server. How it is going to work is completely up in the air because like the CIG employee said, they haven't even started on it yet and are working off Croberts imagination.

Here, Chris will explain it to you

From 10 for the Chairman: Episode 77
Feb 29, 2016 @ 02:29

Q: What type of work is being done to increase the server population capacity? Should we expect to see 24 or 32 player instances in the near future?

A: The answer to that is ABSOLUTELY, I think, ah, if you've been watching some of the chatter on the recent, ah, PTU RELEASES, and, ah, you know, what's gonna be in 2.2... eh, it is, ah, gonna be 24 players, so we've been working, ah, ah, HARD on sort of optimizing areas so we can sort of scale more, I think I've mentioned before that the, you know, the biggest issue that we have is uhm, uh, just the overhead that the ships have because they're very complicated, they have multiple... items that have all this functionality, they need to talk to each other over the network... they're attached to SHIPS, a ship isn't just one entity you know, in the case of a HORNET it can be fifty or sixty, in the case of a BIGGER ship it's a lot more than... fifty or sixty, so they're very heavy, ah, sort of PROCESSING WISE and the SERVER in terms of just SIMULATION and also in... in network, um, sort of TRAFFIC...

So, in general, that's, em, you know, more the limiting... FACTOR which... we've been WORKING ON, so we're... we're REFACTORING a lot of things to... make it much more, ah, SMART about when it has to UPDATE, ah, and all the other things and that sort of ties into the work that we've done in the past on the ZONE SYSTEM, we're doing sort of a, uh, whatever you wanna call it, a NETWORK LOD and an UPDATE LOD that sort of scopes depending on, you know, whether you can SEE THINGS, how FAR AWAY they are, whether they are ACTIVE, whether it's another PLAYER, whether it's relevant to YOU and... so hopefully all that stuff em, you know, helps... increase the load that we can do and we're doing things like we're... we're... you know, pushing more and more into MULTIPLE CORES, more... MULTI-THREADING to, you know, be able to do more... you know... PHYSICS PROCESSING at the same time as we're doing more sort of entity updating and simulation.

So ehm you know, part of the benef... part of the result of that is moving to more players in, eh, CRUSADER, we'll continue and we're expecting to continue to sort of push that over time, eh, to get more and more and uh, you know we're actually working on... some ah, BACK END SERVER MESH TECH uhm, that will allow us to ah, sort of MESH A LOT MORE... players all in essentially what will be kind of sort of the same, ah, INSTANCE, uhm so but that's sort of ah, you know a LITTLE further along, but, eh, it's ahh... yeah, I think EXCITING so I think we'll be able to DELIVER probably more players than we were thinking originally... in concurrent areas... ah... so... when I think, actually there's a question about that so... I maybe talk a bit more about it then...

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

SomethingJones posted:

They haven't touched the networking in 2 years, there has been no mention of it in dev updates or anywhere else. People have been snooping what the Fidelity Engine is actually sending and receiving from the servers for ages now and it isn't pretty. Also I'd love to know who their 'networking team' is, as far as I can see they don't have one.

From what I recall they have around 4-6 people, with at least two of them are maintaining the backend stuff. Another dude is writing Ooz, a custom scripting language for the backend stuff. Which I guess leaves us with a few people writing the actual networking improvements. It made me laugh when backers kept hyping up the new network code because they physically don't have enough people to work on it after accounting for what they are currently working on.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

SomethingJones posted:

They haven't touched the networking in 2 years, there has been no mention of it in dev updates or anywhere else. People have been snooping what the Fidelity Engine is actually sending and receiving from the servers for ages now and it isn't pretty. Also I'd love to know who their 'networking team' is, as far as I can see they don't have one.

Its up to 6 guys as of a few months ago. 3 of which are full time maintanence.

So they got 3 network guys on the revolutionary new mmo netcode. Out of 400.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Tokamak posted:

From what I recall they have around 4-6 people, with at least two of them are maintaining the backend stuff. Another dude is writing Ooz, a custom scripting language for the backend stuff. Which I guess leaves us with a few people writing the actual networking improvements. It made me laugh when backers kept hyping up the new network code because they physically don't have enough people to work on it after accounting for what they are currently working on.

There's a major networking rewrite pending and not started yet. Was confirmed recently by Ben the lighting guy dude who used to work at Frontier but I couldn't be arsed looking for where he said it. The current networking sends a big XML file out to the clients when a ship is spawned and they've been fiddling with that, but that's all I know about ongoing networking improvements.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
When your refund is lost
To a Cast Iron TOS
There's StreetRoller

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Tokamak posted:

Nah, it's some form of dynamic instancing where they can partition a region of space and assign it to a new server. How it is going to work is completely up in the air because like the CIG employee said, they haven't even started on it yet and are working off Croberts imagination.
Elite does this, in a p2p environment to boot.

Yet another of Chris' revolutionary and unique ideas that David Braben stole (and somehow managed to do first). It's a travesty!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Blue On Blue posted:

That reminds me. Did they just stop doing their weekly development schedule since 3.0 was squeezed out to the whales ?

They switched it to something called "Burndown" where they count down on the number of bugs remaining until 3.0 is ready. The thing is that it doesn't show all the bugs, only the ones from the set they are prioritizing right now so, when the counter would go to zero, it instead immediately jumps back to 50 or whatever for the next set of bugs. (And, of course, nobody knows how many sets of bugs there are in total).

So, basically, it doesn't contain any useful info at all but always appears as if they were about to remove all bugs shown.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

SomethingJones posted:

Meet the CIG network team.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

D_Smart posted:

When you glitch through the poo poo
and you Paarp like a bitch
you did Nazi it

Realtalk: Derek, things like this are why I like you. TBF, I'm actually enjoying learning and playing UC, so there's that :spergin:.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

trucutru posted:

They switched it to something called "Burndown" where they count down on the number of bugs remaining until 3.0 is ready. The thing is that it doesn't show all the bugs, only the ones from the set they are prioritizing right now so, when the counter would go to zero, it instead immediately jumps back to 50 or whatever for the next set of bugs. (And, of course, nobody knows how many sets of bugs there are in total).

So, basically, it doesn't contain any useful info at all but always appears as if they were about to remove all bugs shown.

Of course

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

biglads posted:

When your avvy gets changed
By a warlord deranged
That's you on the blocklist

:perfect:
:five::five::five:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

SomethingJones posted:

Q: What type of work is being done to increase the server population capacity? Should we expect to see 24 or 32 player instances in the near future?

A: The answer to that is ABSOLUTELY, I think, ah, if you've been watching some of the chatter on the recent, ah, PTU RELEASES, and, ah, you know, what's gonna be in 2.2... eh, it is, ah, gonna be 24 players, so we've been working, ah, ah, HARD on sort of optimizing areas so we can sort of scale more, I think I've mentioned before that the, you know, the biggest issue that we have is uhm, uh, just the overhead that the ships have because they're very complicated, they have multiple... items that have all this functionality, they need to talk to each other over the network... they're attached to SHIPS, a ship isn't just one entity you know, in the case of a HORNET it can be fifty or sixty, in the case of a BIGGER ship it's a lot more than... fifty or sixty, so they're very heavy, ah, sort of PROCESSING WISE and the SERVER in terms of just SIMULATION and also in... in network, um, sort of TRAFFIC...

So, in general, that's, em, you know, more the limiting... FACTOR which... we've been WORKING ON, so we're... we're REFACTORING a lot of things to... make it much more, ah, SMART about when it has to UPDATE, ah, and all the other things and that sort of ties into the work that we've done in the past on the ZONE SYSTEM, we're doing sort of a, uh, whatever you wanna call it, a NETWORK LOD and an UPDATE LOD that sort of scopes depending on, you know, whether you can SEE THINGS, how FAR AWAY they are, whether they are ACTIVE, whether it's another PLAYER, whether it's relevant to YOU and... so hopefully all that stuff em, you know, helps... increase the load that we can do and we're doing things like we're... we're... you know, pushing more and more into MULTIPLE CORES, more... MULTI-THREADING to, you know, be able to do more... you know... PHYSICS PROCESSING at the same time as we're doing more sort of entity updating and simulation.

So ehm you know, part of the benef... part of the result of that is moving to more players in, eh, CRUSADER, we'll continue and we're expecting to continue to sort of push that over time, eh, to get more and more and uh, you know we're actually working on... some ah, BACK END SERVER MESH TECH uhm, that will allow us to ah, sort of MESH A LOT MORE... players all in essentially what will be kind of sort of the same, ah, INSTANCE, uhm so but that's sort of ah, you know a LITTLE further along, but, eh, it's ahh... yeah, I think EXCITING so I think we'll be able to DELIVER probably more players than we were thinking originally... in concurrent areas... ah... so... when I think, actually there's a question about that so... I maybe talk a bit more about it then...

Crobber mentions both Smart and LOD when talking about his game.

'You are always on my mind...'

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

They're going to finish up the instanced servers before working on the mesh? That sounds about right for CIG.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

This is the latest one. Look! Only 22 more bugs to go! until the next set of bugs

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, I made it for autistic gamers like myself who don't mind reading manuals. :grin:

I loved the X3 games. Until they went to poo poo. They have a new one coming out though. I'm looking forward to that.

I don't plan on making another massive BC/UC game from scratch because it's a LOT of money. Which is why I lol at those guys making Hellion, Battlespace Infinity and Dual Universe, thinking they could ever make those games with the budgets they planned. I'm too old for that poo poo, and I'm semi retired. Read this dev update about that.

That's one of the reasons that I designed and started working on Line Of Defense. I wanted a change of pace, plus the industry has moved on from my type of games.

So with UC: The Lyrius Conflict, it's basically a new coat of paint, while retaining all the underlying tech that made the BC/UC great and my all-time bestsellers.

Welp. Apparently I'm a fan. huh...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug
When you realize the con
And the refunds are gone
That's an ELE

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SomethingJones posted:

I recall when this was announced and people were up in arms because 24 was a tiny number. But they convinced themselves it was just the alpha number and soon it would be 1000’s because Roberts was somehow a genius despite nothing he said making sense.

I hope the backers are pleased with the results!

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

loving lol

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
When you're sittin' on the loo
cause there's nothing else to do
That's Star Citizen

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

Lt_Tofu posted:

When you're sittin' on the loo
cause there's nothing else to do
That's Star Citizen

Don't doxx me.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ZekeNY posted:

When attention you hog,
'cause it's in your July blog,
You're a warlord

:boom:

and

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I have to admit I don't get the three stanza references you guys are making for the past few pages. But ticklegate sure brings back memories.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

This is exactly what CIG needs. More people to theory craft things for convention demos.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

toanoradian posted:

I have to admit I don't get the three stanza references you guys are making for the past few pages. But ticklegate sure brings back memories.

When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie
That's amore.

Here's card cat, just for fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefo5mW0JNs

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

On the other hand, Dead Space had really great doors as well as several kinds of door like things. And the monsters never got stuck in them!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

This guy is so good at sleight of hand he got disqualified from the World Championships of Magic (yes, that's a thing) because they thought he was cheating.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D_Smart posted:

When you glitch through the poo poo
and you Paarp like a bitch
you did Nazi it

I dont think you get joke development

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

peter gabriel posted:

These videos. They are discussing, in seriousness, their opinions of CIG not showing anything at all of the game they have been making for five years that they have never seen anything of at all, and the conversation didn't go: "are we insane?"

More people can podcast simultaneously across multiple continents than CIG can get in a room on a private server

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I don't think you really can DMCA video game footage. Maybe cutscenes. I mean, you can DMCA anything, but, by letter of law, it shouldn't hold up.

If anyone wants to send me Evocati footage through whatever means, I'll post it on my otherwise unused Youtube account. I'll even counterclaim against DMCA takedowns for you. On my end, I'll be posting it as critique.

You maintain exclusive responsibility for washing out any identifying information or watermarks.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

tooterfish posted:

This guy is so good at sleight of hand he got disqualified from the World Championships of Magic (yes, that's a thing) because they thought he was cheating.

Yup. He apparently developed his card techniques completely on his own, during down time as a doctor, so his techniques were outside of what the experts knew. At that competition, he got disqualified because he used audience members to help shuffle, and he was so good the judges decided he must've used plants. He came back and won by doing the exact same act, but had the judges shuffle instead.

The girl in that video I posted is dead, by the way. 2010, carbon monoxide from a water heater.

XK fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Oct 18, 2017

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I dont think you get joke development

All jokes die and becomes unfunny, so in a way he does.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Thread: if Derek does 64 player ucce update eventually as he currently tentatively and provisionally plans to do, will anyone want to play it as a thing for everyone to participate in?

It seems like it could actually be a fun thing to do, and seeing as it will be a while before he does such a thing, it could be the perfect ending to round out the star citizen experience.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Derek could fly around in his super carrier with 63 goons taped to the hull like spiders clinging to the back of their mother.

For truly, Derek is the mother of space games.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
If you talk with your hands
And Derek Smart's not a fan
You're Croberts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

McGiggins posted:

Thread: if Derek does 64 player ucce update eventually as he currently tentatively and provisionally plans to do, will anyone want to play it as a thing for everyone to participate in?

It seems like it could actually be a fun thing to do, and seeing as it will be a while before he does such a thing, it could be the perfect ending to round out the star citizen experience.

I don't think he has any plans for multiplayer, just to redo the assets and such