Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Jedit posted:

Someone sell me on this.

As someone who really wants to buy it but won't because the Goon-friend I will play it with the most is also buying it:

It's a tense little game that really requires you to think about the table dynamic. It's got that "once-removed" agency / victory thing going for it, where you're backing factions who do stuff, but you can change allegiances as their power shifts, and thinking down through those two layers is... tough. Good tough. The randomized tableau means strategies will change from game to game, but that's the only randomness, so it's all good randomness.

The physical components of this version are supposed to be top notch. I could give two wet farts about the theme, but there's no denying that it conveys it really well.

You should have it in your gaming group. If a friend isn't going to buy it, and your group likes that tense, back-stabby kind of fun, you should buy it if you can afford it. Is it worth $70? Absolutely. Is it the best $70 you can spend... maybe? But you should get it unless your collection is super tiny.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

nrook posted:

Diplomacy has still gotta be on the list of the greatest games of all time, right? It has huge flaws—the long play time and the incredibly specific, hard-to-manage player count stand out—but i can’t think of any game that wants to pulls off what Diplomacy tries to do better. Almost any game that comes to mind is much more complicated mechanically.

People are just not into back stabbing in this thematic, euro, hobby of the 2020's. Diplomacy is way more than just a negotiation game and that's why it's not more popular in the mainstream hobby. The time is meaningless since if you really want to play Diplomacy properly you're playing by email anyway.

E:Noting that the back stabbing in Pax Pamir 2nd edition is nothing like the back stabbing in Diplomacy. Not even close.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you want to cause workplace strife, start up an office Diplomacy game.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

BinaryDoubts posted:

Excited to hit my friendly local game cafe and try Tzolk'in tomorrow. My own collection has exactly zero euro or worker placement games, so I'm trying to broaden my horizons a little bit. I tried Great Western Trail last time (enjoyed it, probably a bit too fiddly to get to the table much if I owned it myself) and Concordia (thought it was fine, but wasn't remotely interested in playing another round).

Might also give Quacks of Qberg or Fury of Dracula a shot too, time depending.

Fury can take like 4 hours so it may be better to save that for another visit

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Jabor posted:

One of my best friends from High School is a Diplomacy world champion.

I played it with him once.

I do not like the game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jabor posted:

There's an online Diplomacy clone (Called Conspiracy) that's really good, it's a great one to get people you know to play.

There's also a Submarine one called Subterfuge which is a really fun mobile game, very different mechanics but a real friendship destroyer there.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've played an in-person game (or any game really) of Diplomacy exactly once. It got...interesting. My apartment did not allow much conventional privacy so they players got creative such as squeezing into my pantry which started to be called the War Room. Or they would have summits on the balcony. One player, not playing Germany, repeatedly threatened to establish the Axis as a scare tactic. Several of my friends still feel the scars from that game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

SettingSun posted:

I've played an in-person game (or any game really) of Diplomacy exactly once. It got...interesting. My apartment did not allow much conventional privacy so they players got creative such as squeezing into my pantry which started to be called the War Room. Or they would have summits on the balcony. One player, not playing Germany, repeatedly threatened to establish the Axis as a scare tactic. Several of my friends still feel the scars from that game.

That my experience of the game really. Like I think if you sit down and try to play it like a traditional board game where everyone sits round the table and discusses stuff then it's not going to really hit the high notes. Having time to wander around the house, go for side bar, private discussions etc that when it really starts to work. Even more so than when you play it in a play by mail sense, because you 'saw' France and Germany go into the closet so that's the low countries hosed for sure.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
Going to back this now and I will probably stump up for the metal coins as well. Do people bother sleeving this? It seems low wear but card centric so it's a tough call to make!

Also, is there any notable difference between the Amigo and Rio Grande version of Bohnanza in terms of quality/content or are they identical other than the language? I saw some comments on the store talking about a lower quality box and cheaper feeling cards so figured I would check before throwing down some money.

I have played Diplomacy once when I was about 13 years old. Nobody ever suspects that the innocent child will betray them... :unsmigghh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If you sleeve definitely use clear sleeves because the card backs look great. Cards are pretty low wear but I sleeved anyways because it’s such a nice production I wanted them to stay pristine.

Side note, a friend tried a variant using the whole deck and shuffled the scoring cards in semi-randomly. It was a 5 hour game 4p. :stare:

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Redundant posted:

Also, is there any notable difference between the Amigo and Rio Grande version of Bohnanza in terms of quality/content or are they identical other than the language? I saw some comments on the store talking about a lower quality box and cheaper feeling cards so figured I would check before throwing down some money.
e: i have no idea what i’m talking about and this post actually notes the differences between an older RG edition (circa 2000) and a newer RG edition (circa 2016) which I mistakenly refer to as the Amigo version

I don’t know how many different editions there are, but I have seen A Rio Grande edition, and own an Amigo edition, and the big differences I recall are:

Both editions contain the “Three New Types of Beans” expansion, which adds some new bean types. I forget how many exactly. Amigo calls it out as an expansion, with its own setup instructions and rules for end-of-turn card drawing. RG on the other hand simply includes all the beans in its standard ruleset, and lists which beans to remove to bring it in line with the expansion rules as a variant on the back page. It does not include rules for playing the base game.

The economy is slightly differently balanced: Cocoa Beans (the rarest bean type) in RG are: 2 beans for 2 coins, 3 beans for 3 coins, and (all!) 4 beans for 4 coins.
Amigo drops 2 cocoa beans to be worth only a single coin.

Finally, the RG edition has, for player counts where players begin with two bean fields, the option to purchase a third in exchange for coins. Amigo does not have this mechanic.

e: Amigo also includes some little paper play mats to indicate your fields, and some turn reference cards which include a First Player marker (used for tiebreakers).

Some Strange Flea fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 10, 2020

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Redundant posted:

Going to back this now and I will probably stump up for the metal coins as well. Do people bother sleeving this? It seems low wear but card centric so it's a tough call to make!

I have played Diplomacy once when I was about 13 years old. Nobody ever suspects that the innocent child will betray them... :unsmigghh:

I sleeved it, but I sleeve everything. I've got a fear of scuffs and sticky tables, and I much prefer shuffling sleeved cards. True to their word I can still fit everything into the insert it came with.

Back Alley Borks
Oct 22, 2017

Awoo.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I sleeved it, but I sleeve everything. I've got a fear of scuffs and sticky tables, and I much prefer shuffling sleeved cards. True to their word I can still fit everything into the insert it came with.

I used to be a chronic sleever, but I do still like sleeving a game with a lot of shuffling as I agree that shuffling sleeved cards is just so much better.

For the tables though, I just keep an extra tablecloth around to use for boardgames. I don't bring unsleeved games to work, though- half the tables there have weird residue all over them.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Some Strange Flea posted:

e: i have no idea what i’m talking about and this post actually notes the differences between an older RG edition (circa 2000) and a newer RG edition (circa 2016) which I mistakenly refer to as the Amigo version
I appreciate the write up anyway. A bit of research shows me that the Amigo version is 3-5 players and the RG version is 2-7 so I assume that is because of an expansion being rolled into the base game in that version. Prices have gone up from yesterday which is a shame but I will keep an eye on it to see what I can work out.

Back to sleeve chat, any recommendations? I have sleeved a few games but other than getting swan sleeves for Wingspan I haven't really paid that much attention to what I was buying. Getting a perfect fit has been challenging (my sleeves for Wingspan and Sushi Go Party are too big, for Flamme Rouge they're slightly too small) and that can make shuffling awkward. I checked sizes and bought things that should have been pretty much perfect so rather than take a gamble I'm willing to listen to people with hands on experience with them.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There's an insane geeklist on BGG with recommended sleeves for so many games, and the ones not on there usually have a thread in their game-specific forums. A quick search should get you there. Most cards are standardized (to about 7 different standards) and the sleeves follow suit, so it's just a matter of recognizing standard European or whatever and then buying those. I believe FFG gives their sleeves like 1.5-2mm leeway and Ultra Pro aims to be more exact.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Redundant posted:

I appreciate the write up anyway. A bit of research shows me that the Amigo version is 3-5 players and the RG version is 2-7 so I assume that is because of an expansion being rolled into the base game in that version. Prices have gone up from yesterday which is a shame but I will keep an eye on it to see what I can work out.

If you're going to play with 3-5 I would recommend pulling out the expansion cards to bring it back to the original deck. I found it dragged on quite a lot with the full deck so I stripped it and I felt it worked a lot better. I haven't really played it since I got Sissi: Die Bohnenkaiserin, which is an excellent variant but hard to find.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr. Squishy posted:

There's an insane geeklist on BGG with recommended sleeves for so many games, and the ones not on there usually have a thread in their game-specific forums. A quick search should get you there. Most cards are standardized (to about 7 different standards) and the sleeves follow suit, so it's just a matter of recognizing standard European or whatever and then buying those. I believe FFG gives their sleeves like 1.5-2mm leeway and Ultra Pro aims to be more exact.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/164572/card-sleeve-sizes-games/page/1

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
GF9 are reprinting Spartacus but with all the licensed material gone.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

cenotaph posted:

If you're going to play with 3-5 I would recommend pulling out the expansion cards to bring it back to the original deck. I found it dragged on quite a lot with the full deck so I stripped it and I felt it worked a lot better. I haven't really played it since I got Sissi: Die Bohnenkaiserin, which is an excellent variant but hard to find.
It probably would be 4-5 most often with the occasional game at 6-7. Good to know it's better to slim the deck down in that event.
I've seen the big geek list of sleeves and used it for other standard 63x88mm cards with the issue of them still being a bit big. Admittedly that is probably me opting for a safer one with a bit of wiggle room but the list itself goes up to 66x91 sleeves which doesn't help much. The sheer quantity is a bit of a pain when it comes to figuring out quality as well so I was wondering if there were any goon approved sleeves of choice that are good value to avoid any trial and error.

Basically I'm being a bit lazy and hoping somebody has already done the heavy lifting for me.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I sleeve everything I own, period. I will never go back.

This of course puts me into cold sweats whenever I think about getting Millenium Blades and sleeving its 2k+ cards

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I'm about ready to buy a new Dominion base set because copper, silver, gold, and estates are getting noticeably worn out in my unsleeved collection. I'd like to sleeve them all but that's like 2000 sleeves for me and I'd have to find a different storage solution to haul them all around in.

Official Dominion big box storage case when.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Redundant posted:

It probably would be 4-5 most often with the occasional game at 6-7. Good to know it's better to slim the deck down in that event.

I forgot that I wanted to mention that I have the Rio Grande edition (not sure what year but I bough it on bgg a few years ago) and the card quality felt OK to me. There's a semi-functional insert but the box lid warped slightly and I have a rubber band around it.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm about ready to buy a new Dominion base set because copper, silver, gold, and estates are getting noticeably worn out in my unsleeved collection. I'd like to sleeve them all but that's like 2000 sleeves for me and I'd have to find a different storage solution to haul them all around in.

Official Dominion big box storage case when.

...my local store has a collection it sometimes brings out for in-store use only, and it takes two of the big wooden boxes that were marketed for the purpose. I don't think a single box could ever hold all of Dominion, especially with yet another expansion coming out in a week.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Roluth posted:

I don't think a single box could ever hold all of Dominion.

I have a single Dominion box dedicated to all the Dominion cards I don't even use to play Dominion. Randomizers, redundant base cards, first edition cards removed from the second edition, most of Alchemy, etc.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I use the Alchemy box to hold lots of other card games lol

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Roluth posted:

...my local store has a collection it sometimes brings out for in-store use only, and it takes two of the big wooden boxes that were marketed for the purpose. I don't think a single box could ever hold all of Dominion, especially with yet another expansion coming out in a week.

And even if you could, you'd give yourself a hernia lifting it.

Also, for Pax Pamir: I sleeved the cards and everything just about fits in the box. No, you're not going to shuffle them much, but they're so pretty.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Yeah that's why I sleeved Pax Pam 2e as well.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The End posted:

GF9 are reprinting Spartacus but with all the licensed material gone.

While replacing the photos with art is not necessarily a bad thing, the art is frankly terrible!

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Grey Hunter posted:

While replacing the photos with art is not necessarily a bad thing, the art is frankly terrible!

I've only seen one or two episodes of the show, so I can appreciate losing the license is going to suck for some people, coz it's a great show, and it seemed like it was tightly themed with the source material, which is really cool. My absolute fave game is Dune, and can totally appreciate that Rex: Final days of an Empire was a pale imitation.

AND YET!

I loving love the board game of Spartacus, and since I don't actually give a poo poo about the HIDEOUS art in the old game looking like anything in particular, for me this is FANTASTIC news! I've been meaning to do a Spartacus theme day for a long time (everyone in robes, loads and loads of wine and grapes and cheese, chez lounges, etc etc) now with this not-fugly version maybe I finally will!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Do y’all have The One Guy in the group who is always coming up with dumbest goofy-rear end ideas for a house rule for a game and won’t shut the gently caress up about it until you have to try the rule to prove that it does indeed suck

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I do not, he sounds awful.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

jesus WEP posted:

Do y’all have The One Guy in the group who is always coming up with dumbest goofy-rear end ideas for a house rule for a game and won’t shut the gently caress up about it until you have to try the rule to prove that it does indeed suck

Thank God no. We accept the rules as written and if we all have a problem with a certain thing we maybe try to come up with a solution but I don't think that has happened in like forever.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Yeah, we're a passive lot. E take the rules we're given and are thankful for them.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

jesus WEP posted:

The only house rules we ever come up with are when over an extended time of doing something, it becomes universally apparent, I don't think anyone ever really suggests one unless it's something we've all been thinking. Just stuff like when we play big multiplayer games of magic, you can just mulligan until you've got a decent hand at no penalty. Sure, someone could abuse that, but we play enough games that we'd see a pattern and dogpile them such that it wasn't a good idea anymore, it's kinda self fixing. Or like in batllestar galactica, everyone has to look at your loyalty card for a minute / in spyfall you all have to pass around the location menu and read it for a bit while you play etc.

I'd absolutely LOVE to hear about some bananas cockamayme "I know better than the designers" type stuff!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

The latest one was when he was convinced that A Fake Artist would be “more interesting” if instead of a blank slate the imposter got the wrong thing, so... they didn’t know the imposter? And then it’s unclear what the imposter’s win condition would be, but in the end it didn’t matter because it’s really loving obvious if one person is drawing Groucho Marx while everyone else is drawing Joan of Arc

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Sounds like he doesn't actually like board games much.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

The one house tile for Battlestar Galactica that we use in all our games which I agree with is that all the dials start 1 number higher.

This gives the humans a chance.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Roluth posted:

I don't think a single box could ever hold all of Dominion

I did once meet someone who stored all of Dominion (or at least a *lot* of it) in one of those toolboxes that fold open to reveal more space. It was heavy as gently caress

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

I played March of the Ants last night. It was a lot of fun. I got left alone in a corner and managed to rack up a pretty powerful little empire. I eventually got attacked in the last round but could fend it off reasonably well. It ended up with the inevitable one person who decided they didn't have to listen to the rules and then weren't really sure what they were doing. I've kind of resigned myself to that being par for the course and it was their inability to contest my borders that meant I could run away with things. A vaguely hollow victory in retrospect but about 2 hours for a 5 player game of entirely new players isn't bad all things considered.

No rules doctoring allowed in my game groups! They only make things worse like when people wanted to randomly pick a click or bang in Cash n Guns. Why even bother making a decision when everything can be goofy random (not so) fun times?

Sorry to keep banging the sleeves drum but do people generally prefer matte or shiny? I haven't used matte ones yet so I'm tempted to try some if they're not terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

jesus WEP posted:

Not quite, though I used to play with someone who was very quick to judge a card/unit/strategy as over/underpowered and would sometimes propose "fixes" halfway through their first game.