Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
cars? mehhhhh

I'm down for characters and organic bidness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Heeeeyyyyy ceebeeeeee... Your comfort zone is shooooowwiiiing...

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
hahahah

I can model cars they're just boring, should be an open ended theme to appease everybody

i'll still woop yall asses makin' cars

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm in!

The poly limit seems a bit low for someone who works in ad stills though... I'd probably struggle to keep it under 2 million

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
It was really just an example!

I was actually looking for feedback there..

Edit:

Also, should we do it in this thread or make another?

If anyone has ideas send me a PM

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Jan 4, 2015

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I'd do it here, it's not that fast a thread.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Amended.

Vilgefartz fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 5, 2015

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Can anyone give me some tips to salvage this mess of polygon flow?

Ref is this

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Why is there a 4k polygon limit on a car? What's the hardware this is targeting?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Not sure if I can make a car in 2 weeks, it's a tough balance between too long and boring or not enough time so no one does it.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Sigma-X posted:

Why is there a 4k polygon limit on a car? What's the hardware this is targeting?

A phone apparently.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
i thought the car idea was a joke >_>

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Sorry to go off topic from the contest ideas, but I had a question:

Is a degree in any sort of computer generated art worth it? Besides hopefully learning a lot of things (that I could potentially learn on my own that is), does a degree actually help chances of employment these days?

I've heard so many bad things like there being too many artists, overseas shipment of art jobs, very hit-or-miss job satisfaction/quality, etc. etc.

(I'm in the UK by the way, I assume that'd make a difference!)

edit: I do not mean any sort of 'Game Development' degree, purely computer generated imagery.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
It was a joke, and them someone took it seriously. Poly limit was arbitrary. If you'd prefer something else (or at all), post some ideas.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Ceebee, what's a good poly limit for current gen games characters these days? That's probably not a bad target for characters or large "hero" props like a car, even for the film or arch vis people.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Honestly for a competition for a group of people this small I wouldn't even limit the polycount. Just set a theme and have people make cool images with 3D representing whatever theme people came up with.

ickna
May 19, 2004

ceebee posted:

Honestly for a competition for a group of people this small I wouldn't even limit the polycount. Just set a theme and have people make cool images with 3D representing whatever theme people came up with.

This.

I already have a concept in mind and would love to participate, but I'm still and intermediate modeler without a lot of free time in the coming weeks and don't want to be bogged down dealing with additional work on normal maps and other technical details to hit a polycount for a one-off image show piece. It could still be a dick measuring contest for bragging rights among the regulars, but I'd rather focus on being creative.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002

Jewel posted:

Can anyone give me some tips to salvage this mess of polygon flow?

Ref is this

It can be handled a number of different ways. Is this going to be subdivided? If so, the easiest way to clean this up would be to make your circular object a hexagon instead of an octagon. Eliminate the middle segment, space out your remaining points, and then those edge loops that are currently creating triangles can be removed. It'll still smooth out just like an octagon would.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Hazed_blue posted:

It can be handled a number of different ways. Is this going to be subdivided? If so, the easiest way to clean this up would be to make your circular object a hexagon instead of an octagon. Eliminate the middle segment, space out your remaining points, and then those edge loops that are currently creating triangles can be removed. It'll still smooth out just like an octagon would.

It's not, but thanks for the help! I ended up deciding to just texture the eye on anyway, because it's only for a game.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Ah, in that case your polys are better spent elsewhere. Good call.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
Ok then. Same poo poo, due in by the 18th. No poly limit. gogogo.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

KiddieGrinder posted:

Sorry to go off topic from the contest ideas, but I had a question:

Is a degree in any sort of computer generated art worth it? Besides hopefully learning a lot of things (that I could potentially learn on my own that is), does a degree actually help chances of employment these days?

I've heard so many bad things like there being too many artists, overseas shipment of art jobs, very hit-or-miss job satisfaction/quality, etc. etc.

(I'm in the UK by the way, I assume that'd make a difference!)

edit: I do not mean any sort of 'Game Development' degree, purely computer generated imagery.

I have a BA in Computer Games Art from a UK university and five years industry experience subsequent to that, so hopefully I can be helpful here. You are right that you can learn pretty much everything relevant to making games art on your own, via internet tutorials and art communities like Polycount. The usefulness of a games art degree is not so much that(although personally I felt like having time dedicated to learning rather than stuffing it in on the side of a full-time job was valuable) but everything that happens around that learning. Networking, mostly - I have uni friends who work/have worked at various studios across the world, and provided I stay in touch(which I am bad at, but that's just me) they make both valuable contacts when it comes to jobhunting and useful sources of info or critique when I'm learning something new.

With that all said, you can always network with game-related-degree people while doing a non-games degree(or while not even doing a degree and just turning up to mixer events anyway and being that guy) but going to class and doing group projects and complaining about that one lecturer etc is a great bonding experience :v:

Having any kind of degree is useful for HR-tickyboxes at larger studios or when thinking about working abroad, too.

I've actually been thinking about my decision to do a game degree a lot recently(being unemployed leaves you a lot of time for reflecting on how you got there) and while I don't regret it, I do also sorta wish I'd just done a more general fine art or fashion degree of some kind. Games degrees are terribly narrow.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

floofyscorp posted:

Games degrees are terribly narrow.

Which is why I was opting for just plain CGI. :v:

Thanks for the reply, good information there.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In terms of how important a degree in CG is for getting employed I'd say "not much." It's all about your body of work and preferably some good references. Now, if you're training, then a degree program can provide a good opportunity to focus your efforts on learning the programs and techniques rather than trying to do it on your own. But the benefit there is the time, resources, training and most of all accountability... not necessarily being able to put a degree on your resume.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

KiddieGrinder posted:

Oh! I forgot what thread I was in there :v:

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

If you want to work in CGI and have a good chance of getting a job, you need to go to Bournemouth. Both when I worked at Framestore and MPC, we would host their degree show and we were told to go down to watch and take notes and hand them to the recruiters, who would pretty much try to hire people the same evening.

Learning how to use the tools and generate pretty pictures is only about 25% of the job. The rest is learning how to work on specs, deadlines, pipelines, in teams, etc and Bournemouth stands out in that not only did people leave there with decent technical skills, but they were more or less 'production ready'.
Granted, it's been 6 years since I worked in the UK, but the breakdown of the UK-native staff would be 15% Middlesex (old schoolers), 75% Bournemouth, 10% others (mostly self-taught and old-school).
Most other unis/colleges who have gaming/CGI/etc degree course do it because it's very profitable and most likely don't have the staff, nor the industry connections to make it worthwhile.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I did a post-grad program at Sheridan to get a Canadian work permit, but I also did a course at iAnimate and CG Workshops (yay spending money ;_;)

Skills taught in the latter were more useful and acquired cheaper, but I wouldn't have gotten work without connections I made at Sheridan. Also, if I'd just done iAnimate and CG Workshops and studied on my own at home 16 hours a day for a year (which is the amount of time I spent in the lab at Sheridan), I would have shrunken into a completely asocial hermit mole person unable to communicate with the outside world. Going to a lab with people kept me sane.

Dunno if this is happening in the UK, but in Canada places like Sheridan and VFS are starting to get a lot of international students who already have several years of work experience in India and China and are just going to school for the work permits and chance of a better work/life balance in a developed country with labor laws. So the students really know their poo poo, sometimes more than the people teaching the courses.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

It looked interesting until I got to this bit:

Required subjects:
One creative subject such as Fine Art, Graphic Design or Photography and one technical subject such as Maths, Computing or Physics

That works out to £27,000 a year for three courses. :negative: I'm not rich enough for that, nor have the brains to also handle two extra courses at the same time (competently at least).

edit: Solent Uni has an open day coming up during the middle of next month, I guess I'll get a feel for them then.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 6, 2015

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Just finished this Winchester Model 1876 model that I’ve been working on.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kanine posted:

Just finished this Winchester Model 1876 model that I’ve been working on.

thats a loving sweet burned/welded metal texture

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

Required subjects:
One creative subject such as Fine Art, Graphic Design or Photography and one technical subject such as Maths, Computing or Physics

That works out to £27,000 a year for three courses. :negative: I'm not rich enough for that, nor have the brains to also handle two extra courses at the same time (competently at least).

edit: Solent Uni has an open day coming up during the middle of next month, I guess I'll get a feel for them then.

Then do 1 course a year?. Pick a cheap(er) place for art & maths?. (Or do they all charge £9k/year now?).
If you are serious about working in the industry, it will be time and money well spent, as your job & career prospects will be a multitude higher than if you go elsewhere to get a 'CGI degree'.

(edit)
This might also be helpful:
http://courses.creativeskillset.org/pick_the_tick_degree_courses/accredited_animation_courses
The DNeg recruiting page points to Creative Skillset as a source for educational information.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 6, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ImplicitAssembler posted:

(edit)
This might also be helpful:
http://courses.creativeskillset.org/pick_the_tick_degree_courses/accredited_animation_courses
The DNeg recruiting page points to Creative Skillset as a source for educational information.

I think they're pretty much all £9k and up annually for the UK.

Though this did look interesting. Since it's on that list, I take that as a good thing, right?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

When you go to see a school make sure to ask very pointed questions about their portfolio quality requirements, the expertise of their faculty, and their job placement rates. It also helps to ask how they track students placement in the industry and the statistical method used. I know this makes it sound like you'll come off like a pompous jerk, but so so many of these schools are trying to scam you. And in this situation, unlike when you'll try to get your first job, you're in the position of being the "client" and you have solid bargaining power.

Don't be tricked by glitzy ads about nice computers or the fact that they teach ZBrush or some other software package. Focus on whether they produce professional students who have careers in the field.

Other topics you can ask include how critiques are conducted and how available instructors are to answer questions/concerns outside of class.

And if the college/university doesn't require a portfolio for entry, avoid it at all costs.

Edit:
Also, from searching around I can't find any demo reels from Solent grads. It seems to be a new program, untested. Risky to put down a bunch of cash on something like that unless the instructors are actually the best in the world or something.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 6, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

See what former students have to say about the course too. Not just from the testimonials pages.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'm thinking I'm gonna send this off to be 3d printed.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

SynthOrange posted:

See what former students have to say about the course too. Not just from the testimonials pages.

Thanks guys, I'll try to keep that in mind. :)

Kanine posted:

I'm thinking I'm gonna send this off to be 3d printed.

Looks nice, but I'd consider adding some polys between his legs like so:

This will help poly flow if you decide to smooth it. And I'd also add some more polys to the tentacles, as they're a bit light considering the movement and flexability they'd be capable of.

(Unless it's like that for stylistic reasons, in which case awesome!)

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009

KiddieGrinder posted:

Required subjects:

Talk to admissions.

They're trying to state that the entry requirements of this BSc/BA include A-levels in the listed subjects. Probably for a total of three A-levels at ABB or better standard?

Usually if you talk to admissions they're willing to waive part of the requirements if you can provide a good reason (e.g. if you did all technical A-levels you could ask for a portfolio of independent work to count, or if you did all humanities you could point out good GCSE's in the listed areas).

Of course I might be misreading this and you're a Mature student/ going for a Masters? In which case universities see you as a profit opportunity (moreso than undergrads!)

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Nullkigan posted:

Talk to admissions.

Ooooh I see, I think. I guess that makes more sense, after all you couldn't work at three degrees at once after all. :doh:

And for what it's worth I would be a mature (34) student. Bournemouth still looks almost too prestigious, don't think I'd even make the cut to be honest.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

Ooooh I see, I think. I guess that makes more sense, after all you couldn't work at three degrees at once after all. :doh:

And for what it's worth I would be a mature (34) student. Bournemouth still looks almost too prestigious, don't think I'd even make the cut to be honest.

So, if you can't make the cut at student level, how will you make the cut at job level?.
Talk to admissions, ask about mature students, etc.

Also, ignore that list from Creative Skillset.
An acquaintance of mine got made redundant a few years back, got a huge severance package and decided to change careers into VFX. Despite my advice to go to Bournemouth, he went to one of unis listed and his student reel is not that good and he's mostly been doing low-level freelance rotoscoping jobs since.
(I couldn't recall which uni it was, but found the emails just now).

Finally, also bear in mind that to work at name companies/productions , you need to have talent. Hard work/study is not enough.

Not trying to bring you down, but unless you think that you have the aptitude, are willing to work hard, you could easily just be throwing your money and time away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Not trying to bring you down, but unless you think that you have the aptitude, are willing to work hard, you could easily just be throwing your money and time away.

Good advice, thanks. :)