Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't been following anything about the Nook really, but I've been thinking about getting a used NC and installing a custom ROM on it. This is for my 2 1/2 year old daughter.

She's awesome using our phones (A Gnex and an Atrix), so she can use it just fine, but I was wondering if there's anything weird you have to do with the device that will make it more complicated for her. Like...the lack of hardware buttons (I guess that's not an issue if I can run ICS on it).

So...is this a bad idea?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Thermopyle posted:

I haven't been following anything about the Nook really, but I've been thinking about getting a used NC and installing a custom ROM on it. This is for my 2 1/2 year old daughter.

She's awesome using our phones (A Gnex and an Atrix), so she can use it just fine, but I was wondering if there's anything weird you have to do with the device that will make it more complicated for her. Like...the lack of hardware buttons (I guess that's not an issue if I can run ICS on it).

So...is this a bad idea?

It's way heavier than a phone, that's the only issue I can foresee. Unless it's propped up or she uses it while sitting, I can see her dropping it a lot.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
CyanogenMod has a new mascot. It's loving terrible.

Edit: Here's a page full of words about this terrible new thing.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/introducing-cid

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 5, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maker Of Shoes posted:

CyanogenMod has a new mascot. It's loving terrible.

Edit: Here's a page full of words about this terrible new thing.

http://www.cyanogenmod.com/blog/introducing-cid

That is a lot of words. To expend much more than the length of this forum post talking about that ugly mascot is to be ridiculed.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

That is a lot of words. To expend much more than the length of this forum post talking about that ugly mascot is to be ridiculed.

I don't know if you looked through the batch of submissions they got for it, but they were all universally terrible. It doesn't excuse them picking this one, but it does serve to explain the mindset they were in after looking at a hundred anime/furry-esque "logos".

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Eh, whatever, the first thing I replace is the boot animation, so unless they start putting their dumb-rear end logo elsewhere in the ROM I don't care.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
CyanogenMod 9 - Angry Eyes Edition.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
First thing I did was to check the date on that article to see if it was posted 1st April. gently caress that's a terrible design.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Maker Of Shoes posted:

CyanogenMod 9 - Angry Eyes Edition.

Now with more angst on Google+ about having a life and not being able to support the device BUT HEY GUYS I JUST DID SOMETHING WAIT TILL YOU SEE WHAT I REALEASE AND DON'T ASK ME FOR ETA's.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
couple titanium questions:

Is there a way I can backup app data 2 or more times with different config settings for app x. Like I configure app x one way back it up and call that config a I configure app x a different way back it up and call that config b. I could switch between a few configs of dozens of different settings using titanium to just restore the correct backup.

Another, how can I restore app data backed up on one device to another? If I want an app to have the exact same config on the nook color as it does on my phone? I tried copying a few files with the app's name from my phone's sdcard/titaniumbackup to the same spot on nook but tibu on nook doesnt see any backups avail.

edit: something else unrelated. There's an aokp based ics rom for my phone I've been playing around with and when you get a call from a non-contact it shows you the city and state that # is coming from on incoming call screen. Is that an aokp thing? ics thing? Does it have a big db in the rom of that stuff or is it querying something over the internet? It has to be big db, there are area codes that might cover hundred of little towns but I guess it knows from the next 3 digits what town it is vs. just the state by area code.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 5, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mark Larson posted:

Now with more angst on Google+ about having a life and not being able to support the device BUT HEY GUYS I JUST DID SOMETHING WAIT TILL YOU SEE WHAT I REALEASE AND DON'T ASK ME FOR ETA's.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

LastInLine posted:

I don't know if you looked through the batch of submissions they got for it, but they were all universally terrible. It doesn't excuse them picking this one, but it does serve to explain the mindset they were in after looking at a hundred anime/furry-esque "logos".

You're right, they didn't receive one good submission. I browsed them all a couple times and was kind of shocked that not a lick of design sense made it through. But instead of saying so, they adopted this one, and now are furiously jerking off how to how great it is.

Really, they could have put a big C on the stock android robot and it would have been a more "professional, grown up" logo, since that's what they think they have now.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

IRQ posted:

BLN uses the softkeys.

That sounds like an app I had called NOLED (I think, been awhile). It lights up a small square of the screen at a time for notifications. On AMOLED phones this in theory doesn't take much power, but it's still waking up the phone and it definitely fucks with the on/off functionality of the screen because it's actually activating it rather than using the softkeys like BLN/CM9. It also had weird issues when it was in your pocket (again because it's turning the screen on).

NOLED also had an annoying tendency to kick the screen into the all-black-but-for-one-little-icon mode immediately after I'd turned the screen on to look at something.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mark Larson posted:

I know absolutely nothing about Android development, and I really appreciate the guys that take time to make ROMs for my phones. That being said, I wish the CM9 team would spend more loving time adding relevant features to the ROM and less time with bullshit like this, or turning off Root by default, etc.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The latest Andromadus Beta (2) for the G2/Desire Z is the first Ice Cream Sandwich rom that has a working camera. I've been using it for the past day and thus far it's a significant improvement over CM7 in most respects. The only thing that is missing are some of the more esoteric Cyanogenmod customization options.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Mega Comrade posted:

First thing I did was to check the date on that article to see if it was posted 1st April. gently caress that's a terrible design.

Thank you for the laugh. This post was funny!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

couple titanium questions:

Is there a way I can backup app data 2 or more times with different config settings for app x. Like I configure app x one way back it up and call that config a I configure app x a different way back it up and call that config b. I could switch between a few configs of dozens of different settings using titanium to just restore the correct backup.
I think you can by assigning multiple prfoiles to a particular app. Longpress an app on the app list and you'll see it's the last option. I've never used it but I'm interested to see if it works out for you.

Wagonburner posted:

Another, how can I restore app data backed up on one device to another? If I want an app to have the exact same config on the nook color as it does on my phone? I tried copying a few files with the app's name from my phone's sdcard/titaniumbackup to the same spot on nook but tibu on nook doesnt see any backups avail.
On the app list, longpress the app you'd like, select Send this backup... then use that to move what needs to be moved.

Wagonburner posted:

edit: something else unrelated. There's an aokp based ics rom for my phone I've been playing around with and when you get a call from a non-contact it shows you the city and state that # is coming from on incoming call screen. Is that an aokp thing? ics thing? Does it have a big db in the rom of that stuff or is it querying something over the internet? It has to be big db, there are area codes that might cover hundred of little towns but I guess it knows from the next 3 digits what town it is vs. just the state by area code.
I thought that was the level of granularity you get from mobile CID? Looking through the call list on my phone I see city/state for the ones I don't have in my contacts. I'm almost sure the level of granularity is particular to your carrier too but an expert on telephony like EB! could probably answer this definitely.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

The latest Andromadus Beta (2) for the G2/Desire Z is the first Ice Cream Sandwich rom that has a working camera.

They seriously fixed it? SERIOUSLY?! If the .com button works I might have a new rom to flash if I can figure out how to keep my Fish Live fishtanks.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Slopehead posted:

They seriously fixed it? SERIOUSLY?! If the .com button works I might have a new rom to flash if I can figure out how to keep my Fish Live fishtanks.

Panorama mode is sketchy, but everything else works just fine. Taking pictures seems much faster now too. My phone doesn't have a .com button so idk about that.

e: it looks like the options for setting the shortcut keys are still missing.

vvv I hear you. I've been pretty much done with this thing for a while now. I haven't been over to xda except for my monthly check to see if they've managed to work around the lack of support for it. It's a solid update and it'll be nice to use until I get my hardware upgrade in August.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 5, 2012

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Panorama isn't really a big issue and I don't use shortcuts so no big deal. Thanks for the heads up. I know at one point earlier in the thread I said I'd stay on top of the G2 dev scene but apathy in the face of how completely hosed everyone is when it comes to actually properly administrating their threads and sticking to bugreports ground down my will to even try.

Edit: I think you have the wrong quote there LastInLine. I don't have a Gnex nor would I have any knowledge of the rom scene. Ironic since I was under the impression that one would buy a so called "google flagship developer device" to avoid the need for a custom rom.

Edit 2: As a bit of an aside, although I realize you've likely quoted the wrong person I want to take a moment to address the populace at large how incredibly loving annoying it is when a user quotes a post directly above their own to reply. Especially when it's a short reply. Think before you post and edit what you're quoting. / :sperg:

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 5, 2012

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Slopehead posted:

Panorama isn't really a big issue and I don't use shortcuts so no big deal. Thanks for the heads up. I know at one point earlier in the thread I said I'd stay on top of the G2 dev scene but apathy in the face of how completely hosed everyone is when it comes to actually properly administrating their threads and sticking to bugreports ground down my will to even try.
Would anyone running CM9 on a GSM Galaxy Nexus mind giving a rundown on things that work, things that don't, and things that aren't yet implemented?

In something of a rarity, I found a genuinely useful xda post with a photobucket of most of the settings screens as of yesterday and I'll tell you that's just about everything I'd need but I really wouldn't want to lose anything from stock 4.0.4.

In particular I care about 180 degree rotation, statusbar mods (no clock, signal/battery as numbers), notification power widget, and inbuilt multicolor LED customization. Judging by the screenshots all but the LED control seems implemented but I don't want to go through the trouble of setting it up and then finding out system apps randomly stop working or GPS stops functioning or something ridiculous.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Flashed the latest cm9 nightly release on my Galaxy S2 today, looking pretty good without touchwhiz, unfortunately the google music app is a horribly unstable piece of poo poo compared to the stock Samsung player.

So, anyone know how I can get that one out of the official firmware or the apk? :negative:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

LastInLine posted:

Where are the other submissions at?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Cyanogenmod Mascot Submissions: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17JdH74Nl3E1JFYBkU8YAgs-7Brz_mHEjmjDP7PauQ5E/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p

Yeah. If that thing shows up during boot I may just have to change it.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

ZShakespeare posted:

Cyanogenmod Mascot Submissions: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/17JdH74Nl3E1JFYBkU8YAgs-7Brz_mHEjmjDP7PauQ5E/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p

Yeah. If that thing shows up during boot I may just have to change it.

Those are all pretty terrible.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

LastInLine posted:

I think you can by assigning multiple prfoiles to a particular app. Longpress an app on the app list and you'll see it's the last option.

I've never used it but I'm interested to see if it works out for you.
On the app list, longpress the app you'd like, select Send this backup... then use that to move what needs to be moved.

I thought that was the level of granularity you get from mobile CID? Looking through the call list on my phone I see city/state for the ones I don't have in my contacts. I'm almost sure the level of granularity is particular to your carrier too but an expert on telephony like EB! could probably answer this definitely.

Thanks for the info. From some that I'm reading, that multiple profiles thing looks pretty neat. It's even more powerful than I was imagining, you create data profiles not for an individual app but for multiple apps assigned to that profile. You change the profile, it changes the config of however many apps you added to the profile. I'll eat my hat when something as awesome as titanium happens on windows.

huh, I never even thought about it coming through cid. I've never got it on gingerbread or froyo. A guy here at work is saying his 3GS has done it since it was brand new. Why they give us city/state but still no cid names? Caller id for landlines 1st happened when I was a middle schooler, a year later it had names displayed, we still got no names on cell phones.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wagonburner posted:

Thanks for the info. From some that I'm reading, that multiple profiles thing looks pretty neat. It's even more powerful than I was imagining, you create data profiles not for an individual app but for multiple apps assigned to that profile. You change the profile, it changes the config of however many apps you added to the profile. I'll eat my hat when something as awesome as titanium happens on windows.

huh, I never even thought about it coming through cid. I've never got it on gingerbread or froyo. A guy here at work is saying his 3GS has done it since it was brand new. Why they give us city/state but still no cid names? Caller id for landlines 1st happened when I was a middle schooler, a year later it had names displayed, we still got no names on cell phones.
The reason you don't get names is because the carriers don't pay for that lookup service. The phone company does because they're the phone company and therefore they have the data available to them already. Notice that even on a landline CID doesn't give names associated with mobile numbers. Now that nearly every number is a mobile number without a name attached in the lookup, there's no incentive for cell companies to provide it. Because no one buys access to the lookup, cell companies don't do it or offer it, so it's a vicious circle.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

The only one I like:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

LastInLine posted:

The reason you don't get names is because the carriers don't pay for that lookup service. The phone company does because they're the phone company and therefore they have the data available to them already.

ahh didn't think of it like that, with lookups being needed. I thought of it as data that was already being transmitted to the receivers provider from the callers provider that the receiving provider, if a mobile, was simply stripping out.

LastInLine posted:

Notice that even on a landline CID doesn't give names associated with mobile numbers.

SBC (now AT&T) as well as Cox landlines in my area show names for most mobiles for probably close to 10 years now, or if not a name sometimes "AT&T Wireless" or "Sprint PCS"

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Slopehead posted:

Have you, or ZShakespeare, played with the GPS much yet? The 2 main things I use on my phone are camera and gps. From the XDA Thread (This is the ROM your talking about right?) it looks like both of those are "kinda" working. How've your experiences been?

I've got a T-mo G2 and I just run the CM7 stable right now. I got tired of flashing ROMS every other day, and now I'm just with 7.2.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I just woke up so no, I haven't had the chance to play with the GPS. That's actually a question of mine since I have the directional sense of a duck flying through a tornado. Perhaps ZanderZ would be kind enough to enlighten us on gps lock speed and reliability.

I too got tired of loving around with it and have been sitting on Virtuous Sense 2 which is based on the DZ software. If you're ever in the mood to change it up, that's about the only other rom I'd suggest.

Edit: I'm mulling through those cyanogen mascot submissions and I'm surprised that they chose the one they did. There are a few decent ones in there. Thank god they didn't go with the blatantly furry bullshit.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 5, 2012

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

deong posted:

Have you, or ZShakespeare, played with the GPS much yet? The 2 main things I use on my phone are camera and gps. From the XDA Thread (This is the ROM your talking about right?) it looks like both of those are "kinda" working. How've your experiences been?

I've got a T-mo G2 and I just run the CM7 stable right now. I got tired of flashing ROMS every other day, and now I'm just with 7.2.

The GPS works just fine for me. It seems to actually lock on faster than before. Keep in mind I have a Desire Z, not a G2 and I don't know what minor differences there are between the two models with regards to radio firmware.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

I think the owl looks pretty cool. But not very Android like.

The rest are just terrible looking, it's gotta be a huge troll.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Yeah and for what it's worth I've been reading back on the Andromadaus Beta 2 thread for Dz/G2 and it seems there is still a lot of work needing to be done. lovely market connection, lots of wakelocks everywhere, stock browser lags out almost completely, and Exchange support is spotty.

Then again, in true classic XDA style any complaints of stuff being broken is met with waves of "BUT IT WORKS FOR ME YOU MUST BE STUPID" so who knows.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I did think the browser was awfully slow, but I was having the same issues in CM7. I've been using Opera Mobile which is very smooth. How do I go about testing for wake locks?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Healbot posted:

Flashed the latest cm9 nightly release on my Galaxy S2 today, looking pretty good without touchwhiz, unfortunately the google music app is a horribly unstable piece of poo poo compared to the stock Samsung player.

So, anyone know how I can get that one out of the official firmware or the apk? :negative:

Iirc Samsung Music Player only works with Touchwiz roms. You can unzip a stock rom and look for it in system/app and try it for yourself

You might also wanna check out Poweramp or Ubermusic from the market, or MIUI music player which has an iOS-like UI and lyrics.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
To test for wakelocks use Better Battery Stats off the market. There is a free version up for DL on XDA itself but I do not know if that version supports ICS yet. Generally as a rule of thumb partial wakelocks will give you absolutely piss poor battery life too.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Slopehead posted:

To test for wakelocks use Better Battery Stats off the market. There is a free version up for DL on XDA itself but I do not know if that version supports ICS yet. Generally as a rule of thumb partial wakelocks will give you absolutely piss poor battery life too.

BBS works great on ICS.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
For some reason I can't run any commands from command prompt like "fastboot oem lock".

I've been trying for many hours now to unroot my loving Nexus S 9020T. First it was figuring out how to even run the SDK manager. I got that to work. ADB devices does list my phone when it's not in fastboot mode.

My command prompt keeps saying "waiting for device" when I try to flashboot anything on it. What do I do?

I was trying to do this http://theunlockr.com/2011/01/20/how-to-unroot-the-nexus-s/ and now I can't even go to recovery (I was on the last step, the fastboot oem lock which gives me "waiting for device" indefinitely)

edit: got it unrooted. Problem was drivers. Installing the google drivers through the sdkmanager.exe doesn't allow me to run command prompt actions while the phone is in fastboot mode. Going through the cumbersome task of installing the Samsung ADB interface drivers manually was the solution.

Now I'm back to 2.3.6. Is there a way to install the latest manually or should I wait for the notice whenever?

Dudebro fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm interested to know what ROMs people are running on the GSM GNex.

I was originally using AOKP but I would get occasional hard reboots when launching games and doing other sudden intensive tasks. I assume it was related to the CPU speed ramping up quickly or similar.

So I tried LiquidSmooth which fixed that, but instead I now have a general slowness when launching and switching between apps. It also sometimes just kicks me out of an app without any kind of error. Plus Wi-Fi toggle is slow and GPS is broken.

Are there any aftermarket ROMs which just work? Or is this likely to be a kernel thing? I'd try stock but I can't live without notification toggles!