Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m in a hotel with terrible lighting and having the paperwhite is, for the first time, a necessity. I’ve never needed the extra light, but I need it now and it’s wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Front page suggestions still relevant? I’ve been thinking about getting an e-reader lately primarily for checking out library ebooks (I have about three library cards in the SF Bay Area so holds aren’t a big deal) and for traveling. Ideally something that’s relatively sturdy, and so think I want to go with e-ink. I don’t give a poo poo about PDF’s or whatever, just books.

Only thing is that I dont buy anything from Amazon. They’re union-busters who treat their workers like garbage. It’s a tiny, inconsequential thing, but whatever, it’s something. So I guess just go with one of the Kobos?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

idiotsavant posted:

Front page suggestions still relevant? I’ve been thinking about getting an e-reader lately primarily for checking out library ebooks (I have about three library cards in the SF Bay Area so holds aren’t a big deal) and for traveling. Ideally something that’s relatively sturdy, and so think I want to go with e-ink. I don’t give a poo poo about PDF’s or whatever, just books.

Only thing is that I dont buy anything from Amazon. They’re union-busters who treat their workers like garbage. It’s a tiny, inconsequential thing, but whatever, it’s something. So I guess just go with one of the Kobos?

How much research are you willing to put into researching Rakuten, or the vanishingly few other competitors?

Buy a barely used Kindle. Christmas presents should be popping up right about now.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
There's also the nook. I've got the glowlight 3, and it's pretty decent for an ereader. Got it on sale during thanksgiving? I think for about 90 bucks.

I'd recommend a case for whatever reader you get though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Do not buy a Nook, Barnes & Noble hasn't updated anything in years and they're in a really bad way business wise so you can't rely on them. If you're going insist on not buying Kindle, definitely buy Kobo.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Onyx makes my absolute favorite e-readers because they run Android, have good hardware, and are built adequately well. Unfortunately, they're more expensive than the comparable Kindle etc. The upshot is that I've been told they have the most even front lighting of any eReader.

I hadn't heard of these before, drat.

I lust for a 9.7" with frontlight now...

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
As a glowlight 3 owner, it's good. They can be rooted to load whatever you like anyway. I'll be using it long after BN tanks, which is probably in 6 months.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I have a kobo reader and it’s good.

Keep in mind that if there’s anything amazon-exclusive, you’ll have to strip the drm and then convert it to ePub. I've only had to do this for some of my more obscure romances, so it's unlikely you'll actually have this issue, but if you do calibre makes the process pretty painless.

Also kobo aura 2 is lower rez than the equivalent-sized paperwhite, so you might want to go with the h20 or aura 1. Or just get the aura 2 anyways, it's on the level of the 1st gen paperwhite so it's still decent.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

If your primary source of material is going to be libraries, the Kobo Aura 2 can’t be beat. Overdrive borrowing is built in natively. It’s also a pretty nice reader as well, waterproof, huge screen, though Kobo’s UI isn’t quite as smooth as Amazon’s.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I am trying to solve the conundrum of reading SA threads on my Kindle. I've been copypasting each page into .txt docs. I don't mind the messy formatting but its time consuming. Can anybody think of a better way to do this? I wish to be able to read SA threads offline and in .txt or a comparable format.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I'm 99% sure that someone made something that created epubs from SA threads but I can't find it anymore.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
I would say maybe try this software https://sourceforge.net/projects/forumdownloader/

Use it to rip the thread then use Calibre to make it an ebook

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
This is an interesting project which may or may not be functional.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
My library uses Overdrive but not the Kindle version. Am I SOL if I want to read books from there on my Kindle?

Calibre won't covert the epub (DRM) and my Kindle won't show up in Adobe Digital Editions.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I think your only option in that case is to use the calibre plugin that strips the drm.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm pretty confused about whispersync working with books purchased from outside Amazon. I've got books from Humble Bundle and I emailed them to my Kindle address, and they show up on my Kindle (as a document, not book, if that matters) and in my Kindle account, but not on my phone. I tried using Calibre to convert them to Amazon format but I guess you can't email Amazon format books to the Kindle? Which is weird to me but I guess that's how it is. Anyway, is there a way to get what I'm looking for? It's not a huge deal to not be able to, I just don't want to bring my Kindle to work and it would be convenient to sync to my phone.

Also additional question, if I buy a book from Google Play, can Calibre strip the DRM from it (and allow me to put it on my Kindle)?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Humerus posted:

I'm pretty confused about whispersync working with books purchased from outside Amazon. I've got books from Humble Bundle and I emailed them to my Kindle address, and they show up on my Kindle (as a document, not book, if that matters) and in my Kindle account, but not on my phone. I tried using Calibre to convert them to Amazon format but I guess you can't email Amazon format books to the Kindle? Which is weird to me but I guess that's how it is. Anyway, is there a way to get what I'm looking for? It's not a huge deal to not be able to, I just don't want to bring my Kindle to work and it would be convenient to sync to my phone.

Also additional question, if I buy a book from Google Play, can Calibre strip the DRM from it (and allow me to put it on my Kindle)?

Use Calibre to convert to mobi, they email just fine. I think you were probably using whatever the old format was, azw maybe? Once you do that right, it syncs just fine across Kindle and phone app.

And yeah, when I switched to Kindle, I switched from Play Books to Kindle app on my phone. I used some de-drm app, converted format in Calibre, and transferred over stuff.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Bingo. If you send it as mobi it'll show up across the board.

I use calibre to convert everything, and I strip the drm off everything I can, because I've owned about 6 different ereaders that used 3 diff formats, and I'm too cheap to rebuy the same book over and over again.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Red_Fred posted:

My library uses Overdrive but not the Kindle version. Am I SOL if I want to read books from there on my Kindle?

Calibre won't covert the epub (DRM) and my Kindle won't show up in Adobe Digital Editions.

How do you mean, "not the Kindle version?" Your library's website should give you the option to send an ebook to your kindle via logging into Amazon after checkout and transferring via wireless synch. The process ignores Adobe Digital Editions.

I'm not sure how your library could subscribe to Overdrive and not have the Kindle features, as Overdrive implements the platform updates themselves.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Space Fish posted:

How do you mean, "not the Kindle version?" Your library's website should give you the option to send an ebook to your kindle via logging into Amazon after checkout and transferring via wireless synch. The process ignores Adobe Digital Editions.

I'm not sure how your library could subscribe to Overdrive and not have the Kindle features, as Overdrive implements the platform updates themselves.
Kindle books are only available on Overdrive in the US, and it might not even be everywhere in the US.

If I want to grab international ebooks from my library in Denmark, they also use Overdrive, but only Adobe Digital Edition.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Fart of Presto posted:

Kindle books are only available on Overdrive in the US, and it might not even be everywhere in the US.

If I want to grab international ebooks from my library in Denmark, they also use Overdrive, but only Adobe Digital Edition.

Yeah this is me, I’m outside the US.

Anyway that Calibre plug-in worked a treat so thank you.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://us.kobobooks.com/collections/auraone-related/products/kobo-aura-one-limited-edition :eyepop:

Why am I lusting for it when I have a perfectly fine iPad Mini with 128GB of storage. :confused:

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

hnnngh that screen

I really can't justify that purchase when my Glo HD does everything I need it to but that screen

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh.... poo poo I need that.

I wonder if the full 32 is open up to side loading or if they are going to do some weird poo poo and only have a few gigs for side loaded books.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Oh.... poo poo I need that.

I wonder if the full 32 is open up to side loading or if they are going to do some weird poo poo and only have a few gigs for side loaded books.

I'd expect it to be fully available (after whatever the OS eats up), given how Kobos of the past have done it. Many of their other models support microSD expansion anyway, so 32 GB is not exactly mindblowing stuff.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If I wanted to read comics, would a cheap android tablet be enough? I have a paperwhite but it's annoying for that kind of thing.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah the only comic I ever tried to read on my new paper white was a Junji Ito horror comic someone sent me and it wasn’t good for reading it.

Also Junji Ito is super out there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I use a samsung galaxy tab 10 or whatever the gently caress it's called for my comic reading.

You can buy refurbished ones for like 100$ or so, and it's also a damned good android tablet anyway.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Looks like the Paperwhite is $80 (with ads) right now.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFIBRIE/

I'm going to pick one up for my daughter cause I'm sick of her trying to yoink my Voyager.

Is there a goon-recommended case/cover?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 10, 2018

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I'm going to pick one up for my daughter cause I'm sick of her trying to yoink my Voyager.

I got one yesterday for $40 due to a price mistake, it's a great upgrade from my 1st gen Paperwhite. I've been using this case and have no complaints:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07426BDV3/

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 10, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Man I saw that $40 deal, but by that time it was dead already. Did yours actually ship? Kind of coincidental that today it's $40 off instead of a flat $40.

That case looks great, and it comes in a bunch of awful girly patterns. She'll love it.

Can you fold the cover around back while you're reading? e: I guess so! "The cover is designed to fold back, so you can read comfortably with just one hand. "

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 10, 2018

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They changed the on device Kindle store to show actual prices in the list of books. Amazing!

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Man I saw that $40 deal, but by that time it was dead already. Did yours actually ship? Kind of coincidental that today it's $40 off instead of a flat $40.

That case looks great, and it comes in a bunch of awful girly patterns. She'll love it.

Can you fold the cover around back while you're reading? e: I guess so! "The cover is designed to fold back, so you can read comfortably with just one hand. "

Yeah, I selected free same day shipping and got it like 6 hours later. I haven't had any issues with the Fintie case (I'm using one of the fabric options) or using it one handed, I just didn't want to pay $40 for the Amazon case, although I assume the Amazon official one is pretty high quality.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

gmq posted:

If I wanted to read comics, would a cheap android tablet be enough? I have a paperwhite but it's annoying for that kind of thing.

Yeah, I'd recommend a 9-10 inch tablet for comics personally. I have a Nexus 7 that works okay for comics, but my Tab A 10.1 works a lot nicer for it. The kindle app has a pretty good zoom in by panel feature but even using that some of the smaller text can be difficult for me to read without zooming in further while I'm using the Nexus, but isn't a problem on the Tab A. I got real bad eyes though, so maybe you'd be fine with a 7 inch screen.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Circle Nine posted:

Yeah, I'd recommend a 9-10 inch tablet for comics personally. I have a Nexus 7 that works okay for comics, but my Tab A 10.1 works a lot nicer for it. The kindle app has a pretty good zoom in by panel feature but even using that some of the smaller text can be difficult for me to read without zooming in further while I'm using the Nexus, but isn't a problem on the Tab A. I got real bad eyes though, so maybe you'd be fine with a 7 inch screen.

I have a Nexus 7 as well and have read some comics on it, but it's really just too small to be comfortable. Get a bigger one, you'll be much happier.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

I use my Paperwhite naked but needed a sleeve to protect it when it's lying in my bag. This suede sleeve is very well-made and nice to the touch:

https://www.amazon.com/WALNEW-Kindle-Sleeve-Paperwhite-Protective/dp/B073GHJBS5/

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gmq posted:

Yeah, just install Perfect Viewer on it and go nuts.

I have a Lenovo Helix laptop/tablet hybrid, which is complete dogshit as a laptop, but with android-x86 and PV installed makes a pretty good comic reader.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FVU5VJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been really happy with this. It looks and feels a bit cheap but of course, it is, but it fits really well, is comfortable and provides good protection (I normally fall asleep reading and my Kindle gets thrown off the bed many nights).

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Three Olives posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FVU5VJE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been really happy with this. It looks and feels a bit cheap but of course, it is, but it fits really well, is comfortable and provides good protection (I normally fall asleep reading and my Kindle gets thrown off the bed many nights).

I have the fintie or some brand of this same case and agree it is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, just install Perfect Viewer on it and go nuts.

I have a Lenovo Helix laptop/tablet hybrid, which is complete dogshit as a laptop, but with android-x86 and PV installed makes a pretty good comic reader.

I love my asus chromebook flip for this, though I wish it had a 3:2 screen for a better comic reading aspect ratio