Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Out of morbid curiosity, I flipped through one of Dr. Sarno's books.

The gist of it is that everything that has ever troubled you with your body is due to repressed emotions, usually related to your dad beating you as a child or something, and all you have to do is acknowledge it and it goes away instantly.

And I do mean everything:

quote:

For years I have been allergic to whatever it is that cats exude
(we used to call it dander but now we're told it may be something
in their saliva which dries on their meticulously licked fur and then
floats into the air). If I walk into a house and don't know that a cat
lives there, my eyes begin to itch. I usually start rubbing them
without thinking. Then kitty walks into the room and I say, "Ah
now I know the reason for the itchy eyes", and they stop itching.
That happens because I know that allergic rhinitis and conjunctivitis
are two of my mind's tension repertoire, and as stated in chapter 4
on treatment, to recognize these conditions for what they are is to
invalidate them, and symptoms then cease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.
His ideas are generally thought of as wacky and aren't accepted by modern medicine.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Yeah, most of it is pretty out there.

Your back hurts? It's ok, it's just due to the time you had sex with your brother or sister.

quote:

By May 1989 I discovered the true unconscious conflict causing
tension . . . and pain in my back. It became clear that my back
pain/tension was part of a group of somatic symptoms occurring
during that time (gastrointestinal upset, repeated urinary tract
infections, frozen shoulder) that were the first signs of my body
remembering the tension and pain of early incest experiences.
Over this past year, I have had mild, brief flare-ups of back
pain as I resist remembering the painful feelings from sexual abuse.
But I know all signs of back pain will be gone when I have healed
the psychological wounds.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Psychosomatic symptoms are definitely real, as are "treatments" like placebo, but if Sarno thinks you can solve all physical ailments by seeing a shrink he's an idiot.

It's like how chiropractors are taught that all disease is due to a misaligned spine. You have diabetes? Here, let me crack your back.

It reminds me of Kevin Trudeau's books where he claims you can cure polio by drinking vinegar or something.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Two things:

• I have an extra voucher for 2 people for the Wednesday taping of America's Got Talent in NYC. It's the 5 PM taping. My name is on the voucher, but I don't THINK that matters based on any other taping of a show I have attended. First to yell out gets it!

• How serious it the "No cell phones" rule at the taping? We'll leave the heavy stuff at home (iPhone, BlackBerry, etc) but I want to at least bring in my husband's dumb phone. I was planning on putting it in my small purse. How carefully do they look?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Very serious. You can't do anything but sit there while they film. Most people are lost because they make you put your phone in your car or "turn them in" and if they catch you with one, they will kick you right out.

But then again, they kick people out for not looking good or acting the fool enough when on camera. You are a prop to them, you are the studio audience.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

AxeManiac posted:

Very serious. You can't do anything but sit there while they film. Most people are lost because they make you put your phone in your car or "turn them in" and if they catch you with one, they will kick you right out.

But then again, they kick people out for not looking good or acting the fool enough when on camera. You are a prop to them, you are the studio audience.

We'll be in NYC, so we can't leave them in the car, ugh. If I stick it in my purse and don't touch it, will that be okay? I'm wondering how thoroughly they search you?

We look totally average and so I bet we don't even get in.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They don't cast Hollywood extras to sit in the audience, it probably just means you can't be 400 pounds with oozing sores and show up expecting to sit front row.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Crotch Bat posted:

They don't cast Hollywood extras to sit in the audience, it probably just means you can't be 400 pounds with oozing sores and show up expecting to sit front row.

There is not a person in my party who fits that bill. So, perhaps we have a shot.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Kelly posted:

There is not a person in my party who fits that bill. So, perhaps we have a shot.

Well yeah, the front rows are totally for the primo people, but the rest is standard auditorium seating, don't let that throw you if you actually just wanted to go to watch the show and see people.

Didn't consider the no car thing, in LA screenings are probably different for the reason then, everyone drives here.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm a fan of the word "friend of the family" on the Howard Stern Show.

chiz
Sep 28, 2002

kylej posted:

and what is your least favorite word?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

kylej posted:

Is that your least favorite word? What about your favorite word?

drat YOU CHIZ!!

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Can't you say Gravitas instead?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

DangerDummy! posted:

Either that or pulling a Willy Aames on Celebrity Fit Club. I can't help but think that a clearheaded Sam Kinison might've done some great stuff with the benefit of a couple crazy decades behind him, but a Sam/Dice seventh comeback tour reality show seems a hell of a lot more probable.

I would think Kinison would grow beyond the need for that sort of attention. Or rather, he would go to an extreme each way: either just go the Fox News route or become an even more hardcore (and liberal) Henry Rollins.

Bonzo posted:

Kinison was one of those guys that started to redefine stand up in the 80s and along with Dice, was the first "rock star" comedian. Carlin, Steve Martin and Robin Williams were the last ones to be able sell out arenas in the late 70s and very early 80s.

His routine changed quite a bit but that also went along with what he was into at the time. He was heavy into drugs and partying and the performance part took a backseat.

If he had lived, I could see him being more of a writer but he definitely would have toured the reality show circuit. I'm sure at some point he would have found religion again too.

The religion part is the real wildcard: Kinison knew the power of it (and knew how hellfire could appeal to his audience) but I'm not sure if he could stifle the greed in order to use it to push a valid point. The weird thing about this equation is how the '90s would have treated Sam: he would have been lost in the collapse of hair bands and possibly one of those people who would have given up on any other form of music out of spite. If he could have dealt with that in an effective and mature way, he could have become one of the best comedians ever on par with what Dennis Miller pretended to be in the '90s and what Jon Stewart became in the '00s. But we'll never know. Such a shame, too, since he had a lot of anger and hatred inside of him but had a lot of possibility to get around it and do some real good.

Ah, what may have been. :unsmith:

Vakal posted:

Yeah, most of it is pretty out there.

Your back hurts? It's ok, it's just due to the time you had sex with your brother or sister.

Okay, wasn't this mocked on a GTA game soundtrack? It sounds like something out of Vice City's talk radio station.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Kelly posted:

• How serious it the "No cell phones" rule at the taping? We'll leave the heavy stuff at home (iPhone, BlackBerry, etc) but I want to at least bring in my husband's dumb phone. I was planning on putting it in my small purse. How carefully do they look?

The security at the San Francisco show was just your typical event type pat-downs. If I wasn't front row I would have been much more upset over the fact that I gave some random rear end in a top hat my phone to store while the show was going on.

There was a lady sitting a few seats to my left that was openly using her phone, and my friend had a theory that she may have been a plant. The handheld camera guy would focus on her A LOT compared to most of the other people just a few seats away.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

-Atom- posted:

There was a lady sitting a few seats to my left that was openly using her phone, and my friend had a theory that she may have been a plant. The handheld camera guy would focus on her A LOT compared to most of the other people just a few seats away.

Hahaha, you mean like a product placement person? Was it a fancy phone? Did she display the logo a lot?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Robin's writing a cookbook? The woman who doesn't believe in solid foods is writing a cookbook.

Okay then.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

qbert posted:

Robin's writing a cookbook? The woman who doesn't believe in solid foods is writing a cookbook.

Okay then.

I'm already looking forward to the Amazon tags.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Chapter 8: French fries are a vegetable.

Chapter 12: Ayahuasca and Peruvian candy are a cure for Too Much Money syndrome.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

qbert posted:

Okay then.

I wonder if it comes with any beads.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'm already looking forward to the Amazon tags.

I'm looking forward to the Photoshopping on the book cover. They're going to have to clone what remains of her hair.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Recipe, by Robin Quivers

2 cups wine, pour in glass. Set aside.
1 telephone
$115,000

Using the telephone, call up your favorite contractor. Order $100,000 in professional kitchen appliances. Wait six months. Speak often about "chard", this will plant the idea that you are serious.

When your new kitchen is installed, use the telephone and hire an expert chef to teach you how to cook. Give them $10,000 for an afternoon's session. Ignore everything they tell you, write a book about your experiences.

Use remaining $5,000 to hire a professional caterer who is willing to let you take credit for the successful garden party. Baste with wine as needed.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I'm looking forward to the Photoshopping on the book cover. They're going to have to clone what remains of her hair.
Not to be confused with Howard wanting to call NBC and berate them for "Haven't you ever heard of Photoshop???"

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I tried watching a Lisa Lampanelli comedy show on Netflix. Lasted about 10 minutes before I had to turn it off.

She really is an awful comic, I don't know why people like her...

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chiz posted:

and what is your least favorite word?

The sound of a baby being called a friend of the family.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So is it just Artie or him, Nick and few other posting on @ArtieQuitter because the jokes are being beaten to death. Yes, Kim Kardashion takes a giant poo poo with her giant rear end. We get it.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bonzo posted:

So is it just Artie or him, Nick and few other posting on @ArtieQuitter because the jokes are being beaten to death. Yes, Kim Kardashion takes a giant poo poo with her giant rear end. We get it.

Jokes being rode into the ground on the back of a beaten to death horse, gotta be just Artie. He does in fact call a guy and dictates the queets to him.

edit - In as LaQueetaInn

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 10, 2012

jase1
Aug 11, 2004

Flankensttein: A name given to a FPS gamer who constantly flanks to get kills.

"So I was playing COD yesterday, and some flankenstein came up from behind and shot me."
I was listening to old Howard shows from late 90's and I came across the AJ Benza/Stuttering John fight which is awesome in itself but after everything calms down and they are taking callers, a girl calls up and says you know this would never happen if Artie Lange was on the show. She goes on to say how nice and calm Artie is and Artie doesn't hate anyone. That blew my mind.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jase1 posted:

I was listening to old Howard shows from late 90's and I came across the AJ Benza/Stuttering John fight which is awesome in itself but after everything calms down and they are taking callers, a girl calls up and says you know this would never happen if Artie Lange was on the show. She goes on to say how nice and calm Artie is and Artie doesn't hate anyone. That blew my mind.

The baby gorilla didn't get aggressive until he had enough time to get comfortable in his new surroundings. :)

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

kylej posted:

My favorite use of that particular word is when Artie is doing his Ed Torrian impression. Or when Ed himself is trying to sing "Can a Nigga Get a Table Dance?"

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I've been slowly listening to the week after the break on N&A, and either Artie is bi-polar (and on the high), or back on something.
He almost sounds like he's on speed.:ohdear:
I sure hope I'm wrong.

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Jokes being rode into the ground on the back of a beaten to death horse, gotta be just Artie. He does in fact call a guy and dictates the queets to him.

edit - In as LaQueetaInn

I'm not sure if he is doing the actual typing of the queets or not. I forget the context, but on last night's show in a moment of frustration he admitted to knowing how computers work.

The fact that he is at home in the mornings watching The View and queeting about it is some weird poo poo.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Szyznyk posted:

My favorite use of that particular word is when Artie is doing his Ed Torrian impression. Or when Ed himself is trying to sing "Can a Nigga Get a Table Dance?"

That was hilarious, I crack up every time that happens. But mainly I used to be upset Howard would queue up callers and let them call guests racial slurs without anything else behind it other than slurs. I guess letting people hate is just part of talk radio, but it was my least favorite part of his show.

He is a good interviewer and I think he pulled that poo poo just to be a "shock jock".

Also letting Gilbert and Artie run rampant over the news is always hilarious too.

Peter North
Apr 23, 2003
Wait a minute, you mean this isn't the real Dick Buffman?!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Peter North posted:

Wait a minute, you mean this isn't the real Dick Buffman?!

loving classic Gilbert. And some really great work by Richard Christy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zarD0yXiwIw

At about 5:20, there's this exchange:

Richard: "It's your arch-nemesis."
ETM: [realizing he's been had] "Oeh"

He was so disappointed when he realized he'd been fooled.

prefect fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Apr 11, 2012

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have probably listened to the Niggerwhat segment close to 100 times. It's what got me addicted to Stern.

This probably means I am a miserable racist rear end in a top hat but so be it.

Have a little respect for the friend of the family.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Anytime horrible news is played during the news segment, I get sad when Gilbert or Jackie are not laughing over it.

20 children died today (heee heeee)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AxeManiac posted:

Anytime horrible news is played during the news segment, I get sad when Gilbert or Jackie are not laughing over it.

20 children died today (heee heeee)

I miss Jackie so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ho2m5WY2Zw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
I FEEL LIKE BLOWIN MY MIND UP