Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Blindeye posted:

See the thing I hate about open floor plans for kitchen/dining room/living room is the fact that I cook a lot and few apartments have high cfm exhaust fans in the kitchen so if I say...cook a proper steak on a cast iron pan, smoke gets everywhere and leaves a film of grease as far away as my desk (over time if I am not OCD cleaning after every cooked meal.

I honestly have to change what I eat at home because of not having a kitchen I can close off, and it blows.

I will agree though that generally dining rooms and living rooms don't need to be separated if you're working with a small space.

Cakefool posted:

My open plan house has a similar issue, when I realised the kitchen extractor was doing nothing I found it was rated for about 190m/hr, the replacement I'll fit later this year with be 600+m/hr.

There is definitely a middle ground. Everything in my current rental apartment kitchen which isn't easily reached to wipe down daily is well caked in a layer of oil. We have no extractor and it's located across room from window (we could at least buy/install a fan then). And we cook a lot.

One of my good friends got an amazing two level dishwasher at his place--basically imagine the top and bottom rack were separated into their own dishwashers. So convenient for when you only have a few things to wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kid sinister posted:

What do you think the odds of this being a grow op are?

Not very high, they generally cut the main before the meter so the power company doesn't know about the electricity usage.

Our city had a lot of grow houses.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Slanderer posted:

This makes me think of a reddit post that made the pretend lawyers over there froth at the mouth. Some guy had some lovely neighbors who sold a large part of their land, which included the access road to their house. The neighbors then demanded access to his land, and a Sheriff tried to make him open his gates for them. The original poster went silent based on advice from his lawyer, and the gibbering masses were left wanting. I'm told that for months afterwards the neckbeards in the legal advice subreddit sperged out hard anytime someone said "landlocked". Well, it turns out there was a conclusion to that story earlier this year, so I figure I'll post it (since I think I found the original post in this thread)

Here are the 3 posts:
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2o3g9g/neighbors_stupidly_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/2ooy1x/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/4dci57/update_my_neighbors_caused_themselves_to_be/

Amazing. Do these rural places in the US allow amateurs to draw up and submit their own subdivisons? Any surveyor in NZ (and likely 90% of US jurisdictions) creating a landlock situation like that would have their license revoked immediately.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I doubt the seller subdivided. Probably just owned the two adjacent lots and sold the one he'd previously used for access to the toxic dump site.

e: Although I guess at some point someone had to create that situation, but there could be a pretty long history of land transferring/ownership to make it happen in a more incidental fashion.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

FCKGW posted:

Not very high, they generally cut the main before the meter so the power company doesn't know about the electricity usage.

Our city had a lot of grow houses.
They bypass the meter, but still have a panel, which they would then of course run horribly incompetent circuits from.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Bad Munki posted:

I doubt the seller subdivided. Probably just owned the two adjacent lots and sold the one he'd previously used for access to the toxic dump site.

e: Although I guess at some point someone had to create that situation, but there could be a pretty long history of land transferring/ownership to make it happen in a more incidental fashion.

In Texas the previous use of the land as access means that an implied easement would have gone with the land and a formal easement could be drawn up based on the previous use. You would need lawyers and the county to get involved, but that clearly wasn't an issue here. It is completely possible to buy a piece of land that has no access and that will be nearly impossible to force an easement. Even the state itself had some issues with landowners partially blocking access to donated lands because the landowners didn't want the land to be developed in to a park and have to deal with the increased traffic.

A friend worked on a ranch that had a 200 acre island in it that the owner couldn't get an easement too. He visited by helicopter a few times and then tried to sell it. I don't know if anything ever came of it.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Hee, surveyor misconduct hearings are fun:

Most are full of technical jargon, but I think you can get the gist of what's going on with this one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

162% is an amazing failure rate, ha. Took that poo poo to 11.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
https://i.imgur.com/g13orhX.gifv

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

"FFFFUUUUCCCCKKKK"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see the zipline goon is expanding his business.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

c0ldfuse posted:

One of my good friends got an amazing two level dishwasher at his place--basically imagine the top and bottom rack were separated into their own dishwashers. So convenient for when you only have a few things to wash.

They're a good idea in theory but they necessarily have less usable volume than a normal dishwasher and the F&P Dish Drawers (which are the only ones I am familiar with) are a huge pile of poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Prepping for painting, basically the state of every wall in the house is "just paint over it." Thanks previous owners.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm seriously thinking about just painting over the three layers of wallpaper in my house that wasn't primered before being applied to the drywall or between layers

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
We removed a bunch of wall paper in our kitchen and thr setting layer of plaster came off with it. Now i have to skim coat a couple of the walls to fix it.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Prepping for painting, basically the state of every wall in the house is "just paint over it." Thanks previous owners.

What's up with the line? The spacing is wrong for fixing a tape line and that's too high for filling the holes from a chair rail.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Maybe it's a very short room :v:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm seriously thinking about just painting over the three layers of wallpaper in my house that wasn't primered before being applied to the drywall or between layers
There is nothing wrong with that. Just be ready to cut out thousand air bubbles that will pop up when you start to roll. Use bonding primer before paint and skim coat air bubbles and seams. It can look like a car's fender if you put enough effort, everything's in the prep work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

kid sinister posted:

What's up with the line? The spacing is wrong for fixing a tape line and that's too high for filling the holes from a chair rail.

Maybe there used to be really tall wainscoting there. :v:

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR

kid sinister posted:

Home Depot 4' x 6' drywall to fit in a short bed truck?

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Could be a picture rail. Do you have those in the US?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

Wolfsbane posted:

Could be a picture rail. Do you have those in the US?

In very old houses they are common. My apartment was built in ~1910 and has one in the dining room.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Shouldn't picture rail be higher?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 16, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Could it be from a rail to mount cabinets?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I've seen picture rails no higher than the back of a couch in some living rooms.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Manslaughter posted:

I've seen picture rails no higher than the back of a couch in some living rooms.

That's a chair rail.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Minor poo poo but still a failure: My laundry is in the basement which has a drywall shelf running around the outer wall that covers up a sump pump and french drain system. It's got access ports, one of which is behind the dryer so you can get to the dryer vent. Repeat, there is hole, about 20x20 with a vent cover, behind the dryer specifically for getting to where the external vent pipe starts.

So where do they decide to run the hose from the dryer itself?

BELOW the giant one, through a rough cut hole that's not big enough for the vent hose to pass through without squishing it down. Even then it's not going to move with any kind of freedom, and when your appliances/floor are kind of

proper ventilation requires some flexibility.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
The first year I moved into my house it felt really cold downstairs all the time. That's when I found out that they just smashed a hole in the wall to the outside world for the dryer vent with no sealant/foam/anything. Bills went way down after sealing/insulating around that hose

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

moist turtleneck posted:

One of us! One of us!

Knocked out some 1940's cabinets in my kitchen to make room for a dishwasher, and discovered what I believe to be the original (1905?) wallpaper... Followed by wallpaper, wallpaper, lead paint, wallpaper, wallpaper, hardboard? And then shittastic drywall on top of that (but only around the cabinets). Since I didn't anticipate the scope of what lurked behind the cabinets, and I needed a level surface to redo the electrical box/faceplate, I may have committed my own crime and just screwed in drywall panel squares over the lath and plaster as a gently caress it, fridge is going in front, and I'll rip it all out to the studs when I redo the whole kitchen in a few years. :thumbsup:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its like tree rings or dirt layers.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Holy poo poo

https://i.imgur.com/o0E3Xoi.gifv

Fuzz1111
Mar 17, 2001

Sorry. I couldn't find anyone to make you a cool cipher-themed avatar, and the look on this guy's face cracks me the fuck up.

FogHelmut posted:

Take away the horizontal lines and multiply the other patch jobs by 4 and you have every wall of every non-master bedroom in my house, the little shits sure liked their posters.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It's OK guys. He's got lifting suspenders on.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

OSU_Matthew posted:

One of us! One of us!

The 1905 paper's cool, do you have any bigger patches you can get pictures of? I like old wallpaper.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Queue up the Wilhelm Scream, please

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sure, wrangling the AC unit is difficult, but the real feat is managing to get out there with those balls of his.

Or maybe they actually help by providing a lower center of gravity, like a weeble.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The thing that keeps striking me about that is that he's wearing socks. Shoes would make sense, barefoot I could understand, but he's in socks! Why would you worsen your traction like that?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The thing that keeps striking me about that is that he's wearing socks. Shoes would make sense, barefoot I could understand, but he's in socks! Why would you worsen your traction like that?

Plus his pants are so long that he could trip on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

kid sinister posted:

I have no idea what it is. It's in two of the bedrooms. Maybe 5" or 6" from top to bottom. It's got some chunky seemingly random patching, and built up paint lines at the top and bottom. I scraped down what I could, and am just making a smooth transition over it so theres no weird shadows or anything. The walls are all textured, so I'm just going to blend it all in with more texture spray.

The other patches are all big smooth or lumpy spots where they fixed old holes but it's obvious because they didn't match the texture.

There is a big patch at the bottom where they "fixed" a hole with one of those mesh things. But again, the plaster is chunky and lumpy and there's exposed mesh. A few of the rooms seem to have this for some reason.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 22, 2016