Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

GrAviTy84 posted:

Depends (and this has been discussed before), there are good ones and there are bad ones. I like the nong shim shin ramyun, the japanese nissin ones like the sukiyaki, tonkatsu, miso, XO sauce, and tokyo shoyu, the mama brand tom yum, and the tung-i chinese beef flavor. Eating them plain is always sad, add some bok choy, some shredded pork shouder, a soft boiled egg, scallions, wood ear mushrooms, shiitakes, etc and they're quite tasty when you're in a hurry/lazy/etc.

You're probably right, my only real experience with prepackaged ramen has been the kind you can get 5 for a dollar. I don't think they carry those brands you listed where I live :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

tarepanda posted:

To be fair, sesame oil + vinegar is not high on my list of "things to taste."

That may work alright for an "Asian style" salad. Throw some chicken, orange, and greens in a bowl and try it out. It should work alright as long as the sesame oil has been diluted enough.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Jmcrofts posted:

You're probably right, my only real experience with prepackaged ramen has been the kind you can get 5 for a dollar. I don't think they carry those brands you listed where I live :shobon:

Did you edit this to change 10 to 5? I'm suspicious of your luxury ramen. :P

Mach420 posted:

That may work alright for an "Asian style" salad. Throw some chicken, orange, and greens in a bowl and try it out. It should work alright as long as the sesame oil has been diluted enough.

My favorite Asian dressing (wafuu) actually uses sesame instead of sesame oil. It's just oil, soy sauce, vinegar, mirin, sesame seeds, maybe some onion.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

tarepanda posted:

Did you edit this to change 10 to 5? I'm suspicious of your luxury ramen. :P

"Quick, before they think I'm a Poor!"

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, myself I used to be able to get them for 10¢ each but they've gone up in price

THE ECONOMYYYYYY :argh:

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

GrAviTy84 posted:

Depends (and this has been discussed before), there are good ones and there are bad ones. I like the nong shim shin ramyun, the japanese nissin ones like the sukiyaki, tonkatsu, miso, XO sauce, and tokyo shoyu, the mama brand tom yum, and the tung-i chinese beef flavor. Eating them plain is always sad, add some bok choy, some shredded pork shouder, a soft boiled egg, scallions, wood ear mushrooms, shiitakes, etc and they're quite tasty when you're in a hurry/lazy/etc.

I can never, ever get home made to taste the same, and I have these bricks (warning: gooniest site you'll ever see)

http://ramenrater.wordpress.com/201...recipe-mash-up/

I would do the "throw poo poo in with ramen" thing more often but the sodium is just bad. I already have high blood pressure and I make it worse with the caffeine I drink, no reason to add sodium to the aggravating factors. I do throw in Nori Komi Furikake.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
What's a good marinade for grilled chicken breast?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

An observer posted:

What's a good marinade for grilled chicken breast?

I like cilantro, lime juice, honey, garlic, olive oil, s+p

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hey GWS, I don't do much baking. But my friend, who has wicked headaches, gets even wickeder headaches when she eats sugar, so I decided to whip up a batch of ginger cookies for her, with the sweet ingredients (sugar and molasses) replaced by sweeteners.

They were good! Actually tasty, though obviously a little different from the usual flavour. One key problem: I replaced the molasses with brown sugar sucrella. This removal of liquid made the cookies super dry (it was actually kind of interesting - they crumbled in your mouth, but when started chewing, they turned almost creamy).

So, is there something I can add to this that will either leave the flavour unaffected or make it better? More butter, some cream, something like that?

Remember, these aren't supposed to be 'healthy' cookies or anything like that, she just can't eat sugar.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do honey and agave give her headaches

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

dis astranagant posted:

I need ideas for pork braises besides chili and pulled pork (made heinous amounts of chili twice this month, pulled pork is definitely on the docket). My grocery store had boston butts on sale for circa 2006 prices and I went a little overboard.

Shred it up for some bastard green chile stew.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
Ok this might be a stupid question.

But i tried to follow a recipie call "boiled water" from "How to cook everthing" and what i dont understand is how to ad the garlic to the water. If i chop it into small pieces the water is still full of garlic and not very nice to eat

Inputs?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

So odd questions, but for you folks who work a desk job, what do you do for lunch? I got a bunch of decent ramen bricks and ate them but the sodium kills me and they're not very filling. Today I brought in one of my containers of slow cooked chicken, heated it up with some frozen vegetables I keep here and threw it on instant rice and threw some ginger sesame seasoning on top and it's pretty good. However, I'm weird and can't eat the same thing days in a row.

Just trying to eat a bit more healthy while saving money.

Thermos style bento boxes are great for avoiding stinking out your office by microwaving your leftovers. Also, cheap and delicious are Vietnamese sandwiches if you have one near you. Lunch for me for a long time was a $3 BBQ pork sandwich with misc leftovers from the night before.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fritzov posted:

Ok this might be a stupid question.

But i tried to follow a recipie call "boiled water" from "How to cook everthing" and what i dont understand is how to ad the garlic to the water. If i chop it into small pieces the water is still full of garlic and not very nice to eat

Inputs?

Here's the recipe for anyone else that was confused as hell about this post:

quote:

What You Need:
4 cups of water
6 to 10 cloves of garlic, crushed (I used minced garlic instead and used 2 Tbsp)
1 bay leaf (didn't have, so I added some oregano instead)
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 thick slices of French or Italian bread, stale (I used a baguette and did three small slices per bowl)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley for garnish (I skipped it)

How it's Done:
Bring to a boil the water with the garlic, salt, pepper, and bay leaf (or oregano). Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Toast bread in it. It's quick, maybe a minute total cooking time.
Put the bread in each of four bowls. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Bittman says to strain your broth here. I didn't strain mine. It's up to you.
Ladle one cup of broth over each bowl. Serve immediately.

It's basically cheezy garlic bread soup I guess?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
edit: I thought he was joking around

Ummm, I guess the recipe calls for lightly crushed garlic instead of chopped? So smash each clove with the side of your knife once and throw it in

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 5, 2012

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Here's the recipe for anyone else that was confused as hell about this post:

It's basically cheezy garlic bread soup I guess?

Sorry, I was not sure if those recipies was copyrighted.

Another stupid question, can i crush garlic with just a knife? edit2: I see Steve answered that already.

Thanks will try that next time.

fritzov fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 5, 2012

rkl
Jan 8, 2012

Don't give me a jerkoff handjob.

quote:

What You Need:
4 cups of water
6 to 10 cloves of garlic, crushed (I used minced garlic instead and used 2 Tbsp)
1 bay leaf (didn't have, so I added some oregano instead)
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
4 thick slices of French or Italian bread, stale (I used a baguette and did three small slices per bowl)
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
fresh parsley for garnish (I skipped it)

How it's Done:
Bring to a boil the water with the garlic, salt, pepper, and bay leaf (or oregano). Reduce heat, cover partially and simmer 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Toast bread in it. It's quick, maybe a minute total cooking time.
Put the bread in each of four bowls. Sprinkle with the cheese.
Bittman says to strain your broth here. I didn't strain mine. It's up to you.
Ladle one cup of broth over each bowl. Serve immediately.

(1) This seems like a more terrible idea than bagel broth. (2) Subbing bay leaf with oregano is like pooping on the floor and then rolling around in it. Bad dog.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

fritzov posted:

Another stupid question, can i crush garlic with just a knife? edit2: I see Steve answered that already.

They are copyrighted but using a segment of a post for discussion like this is almost certainly fair use.

You're straining it at the end so you don't really need to worry about having huge garlic chunks or anything, i'd just crush it with the side of a chef's knife or a pan or something.

That's a pretty weird recipe, but I could see it being good though. It would probably be even way better with good stock instead of water.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

That's a pretty weird recipe, but I could see it being good though. It would probably be even way better with good stock instead of water.

And with potatoes and clams.

maybe some bacon and celery, too.

and cream.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

They are copyrighted but using a segment of a post for discussion like this is almost certainly fair use.

You're straining it at the end so you don't really need to worry about having huge garlic chunks or anything, i'd just crush it with the side of a chef's knife or a pan or something.

I missed the strain part when making it i guess. Thats what i could not figure out if it was gonna be served with allt those garlic chuncks or not.

fritzov fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 5, 2012

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

fritzov posted:

Generally, a recipe cannot be copyrighted. Descriptions, illustrations and other stuff accompanying the recipe usually can be, though.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

taqueso posted:

Generally, a recipe cannot be copyrighted. Descriptions, illustrations and other stuff accompanying the recipe usually can be, though.

The actual write-up (description) is absolutely copyrightable, you just can't stop someone from explaining how to make your salsa chicken hotdish in their own words.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

CloseFriend posted:

Tonight I was reading Ratio and on a lark, I decided to make cookies where I used sesame seed oil instead of butter. I basically ended up mixing together the oil, the sugar, some flour, a splash of water, a banana, a hell of a lot of honey, and an egg. They came out tasting… weird. A bit salty, but with an eventual sweet aftertaste. I got the texture about right (at least fresh out of the oven, which they just exited a few minutes ago), but the sesame seed oil really creates this distracting incongruity between smell and taste. The balance is really wonky between the three "main" flavors.

Anyway… Can I make this recipe work by balancing it out more? The book didn't get into using plant oils for the fat component, so should I give up on trying? I mean, if I got the texture right, then I don't see a problem with it, but I also haven't done this a lot, either.

I guess my main question is… Can I make cookies with plant oils for my fat component?

I make cookies with the following ingredients:

1 cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 cup sugar or Splenda

Beat eggs, mix all ingredients, and bake at 350 for seven minutes.

I'm pretty sure sesame paste could be incorporated, or maybe even replace the peanut butter entirely.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

What's the best way to eat kippers? I got a tin just for the gently caress of it.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Upmarket Mango posted:

I've got some Italian sausage links and sliced Portabella mushrooms that are about to go bad and I was wondering if you fine goons have any ideas for recipes? Thanks in advance.

dude...

Onion, green bell peppers, some celery all fried up in butter in a pan. Chunk up some garlic then throw it on top of this nice base. Toss in the mushrooms and get them good and cooking. Put the sausage links on top of all this fine hot mess so they get a little browning and start to cook. Mix it all up then add a cup or so of red wine and cook down for a little bit. Throw in some red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Add a couple cans of stewed tomatoes or one can of stewed and a can of tomato sauce.

Heat to a boil, turn down to a simmer and walk away for an hour or two. Come back to fuckoff brilliant sauce to pour over whatever pasta you have around PLUS bigass sausages to guzzle. Oh hell yes.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Pan-fry the sausages, eat.

I haven't had an Italian sausage for over half a decade. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

tarepanda posted:

Pan-fry the sausages, eat.

I haven't had an Italian sausage for over half a decade. :(

They're easy to make for yourself if you can't get them where you are - you just need pork, parsley, salt, pepper, and fennel seeds. Add red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.

I can't imagine going five years without Italian sausage :(

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

RazorBunny posted:

They're easy to make for yourself if you can't get them where you are - you just need pork, parsley, salt, pepper, and fennel seeds. Add red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.

Haven't seen fennel, parsley's hard to find, can't find any loving sage for regular sausages... and I'd have to get casings and a meat grinder.

Japan is not a meat country.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RazorBunny posted:

It's been two years for me but now I'm gonna dig up some fennel seeds.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

It's really weird that you of all people aren't tearing "boiled flavored water and bread" apart, but I too see some possible hope for it.

It just seems way too drat watery, not even broth will fix that. It needs to be thicker.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

tarepanda posted:

Haven't seen fennel, parsley's hard to find, can't find any loving sage for regular sausages... and I'd have to get casings and a meat grinder.

Have you tried going into your local Koreatown area? I know when my friend lived in Osaka he bought his pork there. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't have Italian parsley, and I have no idea how Korean parsley (minari) compares flavor-wise.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

RazorBunny posted:

Have you tried going into your local Koreatown area? I know when my friend lived in Osaka he bought his pork there. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't have Italian parsley, and I have no idea how Korean parsley (minari) compares flavor-wise.

Parsley's the easiest of them all if I go to the right grocery stores.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Man I haven't had any italian sausage since I came back from Italy in 2008. I'm sad.

I could try making some, but have no idea where to start. I have never made any sausage.

Sweet As Sin fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 6, 2012

Appl
Feb 4, 2002

where da white womens at?

tarepanda posted:

Fish are made of meat..

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Kenning posted:

What's the best way to eat kippers? I got a tin just for the gently caress of it.

On toast, with scrambled eggs. They are the best breakfast food.

And a good way to test whether a girl is a keeper or not.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

On toast, with scrambled eggs. They are the best breakfast food.

And a good way to test whether a girl is a keeper or not.
Or fried or poached eggs. NOT BOILED, FOR GOD'S SAKE NOT BOILED!

I'd gently pan fry them in butter and remove the skins before serving. Be warned: they'll stink your house out.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

therattle posted:

Or fried or poached eggs. NOT BOILED, FOR GOD'S SAKE NOT BOILED!

I'd gently pan fry them in butter and remove the skins before serving. Be warned: they'll stink your house out make your entire house smell delicious.

Much better.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The Datil pepper harvest was good this year! Any suggestions/recipes? I use them in salsa but this is a freaking ton of peppers and not the kind you just throw in there by the handful else you will pay for it, dearly. The yellow peppers are the killers, they eventually turn purple and will eat through plastic.

Those are the big Ziploc bags too..

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

You could make really hot pepper jelly, and then spread it on brie and put it in the oven until it's melty, and then spread that on crackers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

I'm trying to make hummus to this recipe.

This One

I have been unable to find any Tahini, but as far as i understand its just sesame seed paste. Would i be able to substitute it with sesame seed oil? If i could would i need to make any changes to the recipe because of that and what would be a reasonable substitution ratio for the 100ml suggested in the recipe?