Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

They do define what she does in the BFZ fat pack guide - Emrakul is the Titan of Corruption.

"Emrakul is the Titan of Corruption, the largest and most fearsome of the Eldrazi. She does not affect unliving matter - rocks, water, etc...but twists all things living, be it plants, animals, or sentient beings. She causes silent terror wherever she soars, embodying desolation, emotional and physical distance, the chill of the void, and the terror of being alone."

I don't think we see Emrakul, just the effects of her presence on Innistrad, at least in the first set.

This is pretty legitimately cool, but is there any explanation for how this lets her cast time warp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deftest
May 7, 2011

JerryLee posted:

This is pretty legitimately cool, but is there any explanation for how this lets her cast time warp?

Maybe she paralyzes her enemies with fear. Not so much a "time warp", but a super powerful "falter"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I didn't realize that warping wail was an eldrazi making an AT-field. Did we ever get a card of an Eva Eldrazi goatse-ing through one?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Sickening posted:

I don't think they are pulling the plug on legacy and vintage. If that was so they wouldn't be looking to monetize it with this whispered new sealed product for legacy/vintage.

Eternal Masters is A) a rumor, B) might be a Magic Online only product, and C) Won't include the reserved list staples like the Duals no matter what.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Emrakul's so powerful she distorts space-time.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Emrakul's so fat she distorts space-time.

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, Emrakul is just an unnatural sink in the space time continuum such that time gets hosed in her vicinity.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Huh? Both CC and Hierarch were about double what they were after the reprint. Goyf was the only one that didn't move as much but as I recall, vendors had an interest in keeping the prices high so made sure they had high buylist values for them at GP vegas.

You're right, my memory is bad. And yeah, gp Vegas buylists were like 120-130 for goyf when I was there.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
What are the barrier-to-entry Legacy money cards that are on the reserve list besides duals? It seems like a bunch of them are weird cards that only go in one or two specific decks, like LED or Candelabra.

If you could solve the duals problem somehow, and did some aggressive reprints, there'd be a ton of Legacy decks unlocked, making the format not that much more expensive that Modern. (Though increasingly that's not saying much.)

C'mon wizards, print Legacy Masters in 2017 with Snow Duals, Force of Will, Snapcaster, Lili, Karakas, Wasteland, and a third reprint of Bob & Goyf.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Entropic posted:

What are the barrier-to-entry Legacy money cards that are on the reserve list besides duals? It seems like a bunch of them are weird cards that only go in one or two specific decks, like LED or Candelabra.

If you could solve the duals problem somehow, and did some aggressive reprints, there'd be a ton of Legacy decks unlocked, making the format not that much more expensive that Modern. (Though increasingly that's not saying much.)

C'mon wizards, print Legacy Masters in 2017 with Snow Duals, Force of Will, Snapcaster, Lili, Karakas, Wasteland, and a third reprint of Bob & Goyf.

I believe you are right. While there are a few cards, I believe the entirety of say Miracles for Legacy is no reserve list except for the Duals.Cut the 1000 dollars in Duals and you get closer to modern decks prices.

I think we can call Vintage unsupportable though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Lands, Elves, Alluren, High Tide, MUD, and ANT die a quick death. None of those are really tier 1 decks aside from Lands and really that's no big loss.

The rest of the,decks can go right on moving along without duals. Shocks would make games a bit different as life totals would be tighter. Burn would be brutal with other decks needing to run shocks.

All in all I wouldn't be that upset to just make a format without the reserved list. It would still be legacy, just a little different.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Lands, Elves, Alluren, High Tide, MUD, and ANT die a quick death. None of those are really tier 1 decks aside from Lands and really that's no big loss.

ANT isn't a tier 1 deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Foil O-Stone is $200. Boom/Bust is $10. Foil Crack the Earth is sold out everywhere and Flagstones of Trokair are sold out on SCG and CFB. WTF am I missing?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

suicidesteve posted:

Foil O-Stone is $200. Boom/Bust is $10. Foil Crack the Earth is sold out everywhere and Flagstones of Trokair are sold out on SCG and CFB. WTF am I missing?

The reason for both is that people expect Tron to be the new Splinter Twin in modern. The former is stylish jank for it, the latter stylish jank to fight it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

That's going too far. It's uncommon, like wasteland.

Now if they reprinted mishra's workshop at uncommon like they were originally, I could finally get 3 morefor my play set.

Same but for Bazaar of Baghdad and I need 4.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Lol at calling lands t1 over ANT and Elves.

Also without NO or Cradle elves is still a powered-up version of a deck that won a PT with two very powerful engine cards. It is probably ok. Sacland Tendrils will probably also be ok although it is obviously not ANT.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jan 21, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

suicidesteve posted:

Without Twin, Tron/Eldrazi supremacy is assumed, so Land Death is the "next level" deck.

Also Boom/Bust plays nicely with the new goblin that snapcasts 3cmc or lower for free out of your bin when you cast him, because Boom/Bust has a cmc of 2 and 6, and when you cast it you can for free you can choose which side you're casting.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Don't y'all remember when BBE was cascading into Boom/Bust and casting Armageddon

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

The rest of the,decks can go right on moving along without duals. Shocks would make games a bit different as life totals would be tighter. Burn would be brutal with other decks needing to run shocks.

All in all I wouldn't be that upset to just make a format without the reserved list. It would still be legacy, just a little different.

You're really lumping the best deck in the format in with jank like MUD and high tide?

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

mcmagic posted:

You're really lumping the best deck in the format in with jank like MUD and high tide?
Fun fact, you can read either the first or last sentence of his post and figure out that he doesn't know much about Legacy.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
Yeah, I'm suuuper unconvinced that SaffronOlive no-reserve-list Legacy looks anything like Legacy. If the loss of "true" duals alone doesn't change it significantly (it does - burn gets a lot better, Daze decks take a huge blow, etc.), several popular and very real decks get completely wiped out of the format.

But then, they already named several of those decks and decided they're "no big loss" so either their local Legacy metagame is really dull or they have a much higher threshold for what constitutes a major format change than I do. I just don't see how losing Elves, MUD, Lands(!), ANT(!!), Loam, Post, Tezz, LED Dredge, etc. in one swoop, plus whatever changes result from losing duals, isn't huge. It's not like we're talking about losing Dragonstorm or Sylvan Plug or whatever.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jan 21, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

You know I don't know why I typed ANT and didn't state ANT/TES/Storm as T1. Probably because I was drinking and binge watching Narcos with the wife without really paying attention to what I was saying.

Also High a tide is awesome shut your whore mouth.

Also also I quite legacy when TCruise was running around so Lands was a T1 deck at that time when everyone else was playing Omni and Miracles. We can argue about it if you want but that was its prime time as a deck in my opinion.

Hopping Ghost posted:

Yeah, I'm suuuper unconvinced that SaffronOlive no-reserve-list Legacy looks anything like Legacy. If the loss of "true" duals alone doesn't change it significantly (it does - burn gets a lot better, Daze decks take a huge blow, etc.), several popular and very real decks get completely wiped out of the format.

But then, they already named several of those decks and decided they're "no big loss" so either their local Legacy metagame is really dull or they have a much higher threshold for what constitutes a major format change than I do. I just don't see how losing Elves, MUD, Lands(!), ANT(!!), Loam, Post, Tezz, LED Dredge, etc. in one swoop, plus whatever changes result from losing duals, isn't huge. It's not like we're talking about losing Dragonstorm or Sylvan Plug or whatever.

I guess our meta was just boring. We had basically 2-3 flavors of Delver, CounterTop/Miracles and Omni/SnT. There would be appearances of Lands and Jund. Occassionally elves or enchantress would pop up. We had a girl who just played fish and a guy who just played storm (albeit poorly) and the modern guys who would sleeve up artifact lands to play affinity.

90% of people played Delver/Omni/Miracles and that's it. During the TCruise days everyone else just stopped showing up to play. So we quit playing and began playing modern.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jan 21, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean the thing is almost none of the fair decks that make up the majority of the format give a poo poo. It would kill off a couple of T1 decks but acting like it would become modern seems dumb.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Also also I quite legacy when TCruise was running around so Lands was a T1 deck at that time when everyone else was playing Omni and Miracles. We can argue about it if you want but that was its prime time as a deck in my opinion.

But the lands/miracles matchup is abysmal for lands with the new Karakas builds.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean the thing is almost none of the fair decks that make up the majority of the format give a poo poo. It would kill off a couple of T1 decks but acting like it would become modern seems dumb.

I agree, it would be dumb to act like that! Nobody said it'd become modern, we just don't think it'd "still be legacy, just a little different" either.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I guess our meta was just boring. We had basically 2-3 flavors of Delver, CounterTop/Miracles and Omni/SnT. There would be appearances of Lands and Jund. Occassionally elves or enchantress would pop up. We had a girl who just played fish and a guy who just played storm (albeit poorly) and the modern guys who would sleeve up artifact lands to play affinity.

90% of people played Delver/Omni/Miracles and that's it. During the TCruise days everyone else just stopped showing up to play. So we quit playing and began playing modern.

I am admittedly pretty lucky to live in an area with an atypically active and apparently diverse Legacy meta, I suppose. It was significantly less so in the Cruise/DTT days but it's back to being a pretty mixed bag nowadays.

I still think y'all are underestimating the impact losing dual lands would have a bit, but not valuing the rest of the reserved list so much makes sense if you're just seeing a bunch of fair decks and miracles all the time.

Johnny Landmine fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jan 21, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Hopping Ghost posted:

I agree, it would be dumb to act like that! Nobody said it'd become modern, we just don't think it'd "still be legacy, just a little different" either.

I am admittedly pretty lucky to live in an area with an atypically active and apparently diverse Legacy meta, I suppose. It was significantly less so in the Cruise/DTT days but it's back to being a pretty mixed bag nowadays.

I still think y'all are underestimating the impact losing dual lands would have a bit, but not valuing the rest of the reserved list so much makes sense if you're just seeing a bunch of fair decks and miracles all the time.

I would say 3 (wow almost 4) years ago when Delver first showed up in threshold lists we had a hugely diverse meta. We had the RUG decks, countertop, affinity, charbelcher, storm, jund, SnT, D&T, burn, elves, fish, enchantress, doomsday, infect, MUD, high tide and BUG. We had FNM with 30 legacy players every week and it was a blast. Over the next 2 years it completely died. No idea why. Suddenly we couldn't get 8 people to show up and when they did it was all TC powered decks.

It was very odd. But you know it is what it is. My legacy decks are in binders now except for what I need for modern.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think angels as manufactured beings is one of the few interesting and unique parts of magic lore, so I'm actually looking to seeing more Emrakul Angels on Innistrad.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I think it's more likely Avacyn has been vampirized somehow given in the literal only piece of media we've seen the far the Avacyn symbol gets twisted and inverted into something that resembles fangs and there's bloody feathers etc. My bet was the vampires have done something ill-advised while Sorin was on Tarkir with the aim of making them #1 on Innistrad again but it's gonna be more than they bargained for.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Wurzag posted:

I think it's more likely Avacyn has been vampirized somehow given in the literal only piece of media we've seen the far the Avacyn symbol gets twisted and inverted into something that resembles fangs and there's bloody feathers etc. My bet was the vampires have done something ill-advised while Sorin was on Tarkir with the aim of making them #1 on Innistrad again but it's gonna be more than they bargained for.

It's going to end up like a DnD campaign.

"My guy is a half vampire, half angel, half eldrazi fighter wizard thief"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Avacyn was always pretty goth for an angel.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cynic Jester posted:

It's going to end up like a DnD campaign.

"My guy is a half vampire, half angel, half eldrazi fighter wizard thief"

Also half Namekian.

Don't worry about it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would say 3 (wow almost 4) years ago when Delver first showed up in threshold lists we had a hugely diverse meta. We had the RUG decks, countertop, affinity, charbelcher, storm, jund, SnT, D&T, burn, elves, fish, enchantress, doomsday, infect, MUD, high tide and BUG. We had FNM with 30 legacy players every week and it was a blast. Over the next 2 years it completely died. No idea why. Suddenly we couldn't get 8 people to show up and when they did it was all TC powered decks.

It was very odd. But you know it is what it is. My legacy decks are in binders now except for what I need for modern.

Wasn't Legacy not allowed as an FNM format until recently?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Wurzag posted:

Yeah, something like this seems more likely to me.

Is there actually any evidence that the Eldrazi are on Innistrad, beyond "Emrakul is still missing and also the title could possibly be a Lovecraft reference?" Honest question. I'd like it as much as anyone, but there seems to be very little evidence for it and a lot of circumstantial evidence against it, not least of which is the fact that staying focused on the same villains for more than one block in a row is virtually unheard of in the modern era.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think they'll probably do someone unrelated for SOI. But you never know, it could be Nicol Bolas overseeing an Eldrazi-Phyrexian allianc./

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Id be shocked if they left out Emrakul then immediately burned that story capital the next block.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, something like this seems more likely to me.

Is there actually any evidence that the Eldrazi are on Innistrad, beyond "Emrakul is still missing and also the title could possibly be a Lovecraft reference?" Honest question. I'd like it as much as anyone, but there seems to be very little evidence for it and a lot of circumstantial evidence against it, not least of which is the fact that staying focused on the same villains for more than one block in a row is virtually unheard of in the modern era.

It's such an obvious Lovecraftian reference that I'll be upset if it's not Emrakul. The Shadows Over Innistrad = Shadow Over Innsmouth similarity and the fact that Emrakul is the Cthulthu of Magic in appearance and actions make it so obvious. I'd be thrilled if they had Innistrad be freaking out in the first set while the planeswalkers try to figure out what's going on, followed by Emrakul's invasion in the next set. More Eldrazi, Wizards gets to push colorless mana more, more Wastes (this time Innistrad flavored!), etc.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

Avacyn was always pretty goth for an angel.

Angel designed by a Hedonist vampire

so yeah, the leather n' cleavage get up is at least understandable in this one instance

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

It's such an obvious Lovecraftian reference that I'll be upset if it's not Emrakul. The Shadows Over Innistrad = Shadow Over Innsmouth similarity and the fact that Emrakul is the Cthulthu of Magic in appearance and actions make it so obvious. I'd be thrilled if they had Innistrad be freaking out in the first set while the planeswalkers try to figure out what's going on, followed by Emrakul's invasion in the next set. More Eldrazi, Wizards gets to push colorless mana more, more Wastes (this time Innistrad flavored!), etc.

Agreed 100%. The seeds are there for a great mix of the gothic and the eldritch. Also it would allow us to focus a bit more on one of the only interesting planeswalkers, Sorin, and how he deals with the Eldrazi encroachment on his home turf.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

I really hope it isn't Emrakul for the sole reason I'll be really burned out on eldrazi by the time SOI comes out and two entire blocks about the same thing in a row seems really dull.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think they'll push colorless mana in Innistrad, I think that was a Kozilek-specific thing.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Oraculum Animi posted:

I don't think they'll push colorless mana in Innistrad, I think that was a Kozilek-specific thing.

There were wastes in the vein of both Eldrazi, so it's possible. They have stated that they were an OotGW thing, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

BJPaskoff posted:

Surprise, it's actually the Marit Lage, the original Lovecraft reference in magic

• Locked thread