Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Lmao, gently caress. The tinned sardines and anchovies I've gotten look the same to me, now my brain lumps them into the same tiny fish experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

anchovies, sardines, tuna and smoked oysters all come from the same plant, just different parts of it harvested at different times

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Isn't there something with canned anchovies actually being sprats in some cases

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The anchovy part of the plant is not great to eat over the sink like an animal

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

hazardousmouse posted:

https://www.alisoneroman.com/recipes/caramelized-shallot-pasta

I've been shocked that none of the anchovies I've been buying have tasted like the stuff they put on pizzas

Yeah the only grownup fistfight I’ve had (meaning one wherein I didn’t fold over after some random dude emptied my lungs with a punch when passing me on a Juliet, Il sidewalk) was when I worked at a pizza place and some dude didn’t put the anchovies away.

Pizza store anchovies are not respected or stored right, so they turn into gross fuzzy salt monsters.

Spend $6 on a jar of Ortiz choves and drape one over each piece of pizza you or other cool people eat.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The first time i ever had anchovies it was a pizza i ordered on a whim. It was amazing, the anchovies were melty and oily and salty and it was perfect.

Every other time I've tried since, even from the same place, they've been dry, curled-up, fishy, nasty little chewy bastards and it's so gross

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
That first one was the first time they opened a can and every other time it's the same can. Even other pizza places. You got the one good one up front

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

currently eating lemon + oil sardines with rice, cucumber, and tomatoes for breakfast. lots of pepper, too.

why, yes, i am a dad.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
general 'chovy protip: wash them in the sink after taking them out of the tin to cut down on the saltiness

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Breakfast was a can of "chicken of the sea sardines in Louisiana hot sauce" over the sink at 2am and coffee in a thermos

It was so much tastier than I was expecting it to be. Should have done it earlier in life. I have like 7 different brand sardines that have been staring at me for way too long in my cabinet, something finally made me say gently caress it. Do it.
It was probably this thread and whoever posted some video from this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEcIsZFTPw

I've watched way too many videos on sardines recently and I love it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Anyone had the smoked rainbow trout from whole foods? It's expensive at 6 bucks a can but I'm curious about it.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Hollismason posted:

Anyone had the smoked rainbow trout from whole foods? It's expensive at 6 bucks a can but I'm curious about it.

It’s really good.

That’s much higher than it’s used to be.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I watched a couple of those vids, and the YouTube algorithm went insane. Dine review, dine review, rant about how dines are woke and bad actually, dine review, cyst popping video, dine review. Cool recommendations thanks

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
The smoked trout at Trader Joes is excellent and closer to 3-4 bucks a tin. (I think. My wife goes to TJs and I do the Costco runs.)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
So like how are smoked oysters and whats a real good brand?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Yep, the TJ's trout is good at that price. I'm not a fan of their smoked dines though, but I don't really like any of the smoky flavor dines anyway.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Hollismason posted:

they're like cooked really really oilly smokey oysters. a little rubbery

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Hollismason posted:

They're good. Eat on crackers w dill and hot sauce

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010

Tendales posted:

rant about how dines are woke and bad actually

People ruin everything, but trying to wrap my head around this. The hot girl fad push some over?

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Hollismason posted:

I really like Otter Kingdom packed in olive oil, I've only seen them on sale at Amazon though. I like tiny ones the best, but I'm not going to buy Chinese brands (tried a few, they're all very muddy tasting) or anything packed in cotton seed oil, I hate the taste of it. Crown Prince are okay, not as good as the OK.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

They're good. Eat on crackers w dill and hot sauce

I see this suggestion all the time. What type of crackers do people like?
Like..."stay home sick from school as a kid" the Ritz crackers? Saltines?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

sock it to me! posted:

The smoked trout at Trader Joes is excellent and closer to 3-4 bucks a tin. (I think. My wife goes to TJs and I do the Costco runs.)

Yeah these are really good!

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Ritz for me but pick your poison

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Black pepper & olive oil Triscuits for me. Can make a plate of sardines with guacamole and hot sauce on the crackers and they won’t get soggy

Do not make my mistake of trying sardines on cheddar cheese Triscuits

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Triscuits, Carr's water crackers, Club/Ritz crackers, everything bagel chips, pretzel thins, matzoh, white bread toast, uncooked ramen brick and sourdough crostini are all good options

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually really enjoy those rice crackers with kipper.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Soul Dentist posted:

uncooked ramen brick

Ok I gotta try this

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Don’t sleep on a good saltine as sardine transport, either

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Saltine with cheap Louisiana hot sauce is my go to dine preparation.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Now I’m thinking about getting out of bed for some dines, but instead I’ll save them for lunch.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Grocery store near me has wild planet sardines with lemon on sale for 1.69. Got one ton to try. If they’re good will go back

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Got one ton to try

this is a dedicated sardiner

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Wasa Crispbread sourdough variety is my favorite, big enough for kippers.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

if the seafood comes in olive oil, decent bread to soak it up is the go-to move.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Just discovered Triscuit tadziki. Good with a dine

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Patagonia roasted garlic mackerel, Francisco Providência small mackerel in olive oil, RugenFisch smoked herring fillets in vegetable oil & own juice. Will be eaten in salads next week.

As for the herring, I remembered that I had pickles herring in wine sauce around Christmas when I visited family friends in Ohio. The husband of one of my friends is from Wisconsin and I guess this is a Nordic treat. Kind of sweet for my tastes but I enjoyed it.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

Pickled herring rules. My Norwegian as hell buddy introduced my to it.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Pickled herring on top of a dollop of egg salad on a ritz cracker is a Swedish tradition with my family during the holidays or whenever really and it slaps

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

i own every Bionicle posted:

Pickled herring on top of a dollop of egg salad on a ritz cracker is a Swedish tradition with my family during the holidays or whenever really and it slaps

Must lead to absolutely legendary farts too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

My sister brought me back a 1 pound tub of pickled herring in curry sauce from Denmark like 15 years ago and I've been chasing that high ever since.