Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

woodenchicken posted:

So he's resetting his terms count to zero, huh. Just as well, honestly. Better just come out and say "Yeah I don't give a gently caress what anyone thinks.", than continue to trash the entire political system in order to "conceal" it. They were legitimately considering annexation of Belarus ffs

Strictly speaking, deputy Valentina Tereshkova is resetting the term count of the current president at the time of this constitutional change to zero. Putin has nothing to do with the deputy's proposal, and it just so happens that he's the current president. Pinkie swear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

With Putin now poised to remain in power for another 16 years, Russians would not mind him becoming Tsar.

I mean sure, but this really feels outta left field.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Malofeev is hardly new, and neither is poor work by NYT.
(Also Zhirinovsky has been on the whole monarchy thing for a while, hasn't he?).

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
A real Tsar needs to decline the crown three times though, before humbly accepting it, not trip over his own feet to agree.

No class.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

A Tsar without male heir!? That will not do!

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Strictly speaking, deputy Valentina Tereshkova is resetting the term count of the current president at the time of this constitutional change to zero. Putin has nothing to do with the deputy's proposal, and it just so happens that he's the current president. Pinkie swear.

I knew that name sounded familiar... She's a former astronaut. That's some CV! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_Tereshkova

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Doctor Malaver posted:

I knew that name sounded familiar... She's a former astronaut. That's some CV! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valentina_Tereshkova

Yeah that was real weird to read about the first woman in space anointing Putin dictator for life.

goethe42
Jun 5, 2004

Ich sei, gewaehrt mir die Bitte, in eurem Bunde der Dritte!
Forgive my lovely photo-manipulation skills

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
i cant tell if this is about the anti-fascists or pravii sektor

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
It seems that Poland closing it's borders means that they have to search every truck for contraband and tourists wanting to infect Polish people. Or whatever their problem is.. It's putting the Baltic states in a pinch.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So, Zagreb and nearby goons, how are you handling things?

For those unfamiliar with the situation, in addition to covid crisis, Zagreb also got hit by a pretty nasty earthquake yesterday. No deaths so far (a teenager is in critical condition though) but a lot of city got damaged, with some people losing their homes. Now that's a hosed up situation.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm fine, we just had a messed up kitchen because of broken bottles. We flew the building after the second quake and had a chaotic morning/day. We are still a bit shaken, of course, and small quakes that appear occasionally don't help with that. I know several families that left their homes and went elsewhere. Fortunately, all of them have family or other places to go.

What worries me above all is how this will affect the spread of the virus. Town squares and parks were full of people like there was a summer festival or something. And once we survive all that, then comes the economic part. Loss of tourist income is a huge blow for Croatia, plus fighting the epidemic, plus repairing all those buildings, many of which are historic, museums, hospitals, etc.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I know there is a recent Russian law that forces Russian software to be installed in all devices.

I also remember there being some kind of regulation/law that gives Russian government access to all software or hardware in the country, I don't remember details. Can't someone point me in the right direction? Every time I try to search for it, it brings me to the recent events.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Nitrox posted:

I know there is a recent Russian law that forces Russian software to be installed in all devices.

I also remember there being some kind of regulation/law that gives Russian government access to all software or hardware in the country, I don't remember details. Can't someone point me in the right direction? Every time I try to search for it, it brings me to the recent events.

You want to read The Red Web. One of the topics covered is SORM, the lawful intercept system Russian ISPs are required to install. The rest of the book is great as well.

There has been a bunch of recent legislation around internet stuff, though I'm not sure how much has resulted in practical changes. The sovereign internet stuff was supposedly tested, but I'm not seeing much beyond officials saying "yep, we tested it and it worked, and we gave Putin the results", so it's anyone's guess as to what they actually did and/or how much they faked the results.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Wells Folks, Russia has deployed an Oil Rig in the Odessa EEZ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy-ji_X1dcs

Russian/Donbass lines are about 12 KM from Mariupol at this time.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Looks like all the worst people are trying to exploit the crisis. :(

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
The Russian ruble looks to be in worse shape than at any point since the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Just a result of the plummeting price of oil and uncertainty over the economic consequences of the coronavirus, I assume?

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Cugel the Clever posted:

The Russian ruble looks to be in worse shape than at any point since the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Just a result of the plummeting price of oil and uncertainty over the economic consequences of the coronavirus, I assume?

For my day job I reached out to some experts about investment patterns in Russia. March 5th or so I got a bunch of replies like "It's getting better and stabilizing and Russia doomsayers are wrong again." About 2 days later basically everyone got back to me with "scratch that." If it is as bad as it is in the US, Russia might be hosed. Only hope now is the BCG vaccine and effective distancing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

For my day job I reached out to some experts about investment patterns in Russia. March 5th or so I got a bunch of replies like "It's getting better and stabilizing and Russia doomsayers are wrong again." About 2 days later basically everyone got back to me with "scratch that." If it is as bad as it is in the US, Russia might be hosed. Only hope now is the BCG vaccine and effective distancing.

What's this about the BCG vaccine? I'm Norwegian and not Eastern European and it was mandatory to get it here when I was a kid. Don't know if it still is, but AFAIK there has been pretty much no mention of it in relation to the coronavirus epidemic at all here.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Randarkman posted:

What's this about the BCG vaccine? I'm Norwegian and not Eastern European and it was mandatory to get it here when I was a kid. Don't know if it still is, but AFAIK there has been pretty much no mention of it in relation to the coronavirus epidemic at all here.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-04-02/fewer-coronavirus-deaths-seen-in-countries-that-mandate-tb-vaccine

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Huh. That's interesting. I wonder why I haven't really seen it mentioned in the news at all here really. Especially considering the Norwegian death toll compared to Sweden's (though that one could also very well be explained due to the Swedish authorities' resonse or lack of). Maybe I just haven't noticed, unlike many I've been lucky to actually be pretty busy with work these past few weeks so I haven't really gotten anything close to 24/7 coronavirus news.

e: Seems it was mandatory in Norway from 1947 to 1995, only recommended now. I do remember getting it together with everyone in my class though, in the early 2000s (I was in the 6th or 7th grade IIRC), so I guess it was more that you might have had a posssibility to opt out rather than having to specifically opt in at that time, probably as a result of getting gradually phased out.
Anyway most elders here should have gotten it then, though not the oldest and most vulnerable. That is if it really turns out to matter.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 2, 2020

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Vasukhani posted:

The rouble crashing has nothing to do with corona, it's crashing because of the Saudis deciding to crash the price of oil as a giant gently caress you to Putin and US shale. If anything the Russian government might be looking forward to corona killing off some population as that means less pensions to pay

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Somaen posted:

The rouble crashing has nothing to do with corona, it's crashing because of the Saudis deciding to crash the price of oil as a giant gently caress you to Putin and US shale. If anything the Russian government might be looking forward to corona killing off some population as that means less pensions to pay

Nothing is probably overstating it. Saudis opening up the taps wasn't successful in killing off shale investment because the economy was good in 2014-15 and people figured they could just weather the storm. With covid-19 and the associated global bear market that might change.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

twerking on the railroad posted:

Nothing is probably overstating it. Saudis opening up the taps wasn't successful in killing off shale investment because the economy was good in 2014-15 and people figured they could just weather the storm. With covid-19 and the associated global bear market that might change.

That's completely true, the oil demand crashing is due to the global pandemic, but the person I was quoting was saying that the Russian economy is hosed by the corona, while the rouble started crashing and oil prices cratering before corona reached Russia and was just starting to shut down the Western economies at the start of March. Now the corona epidemic in Russia is another crisis, additional to the first one.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
lmao

Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko: “You should probably also take in 40 to 50 grams of the equivalent of pure alcohol to kill this virus. Just not at work.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/world/europe/russia-coronavirus-alcoholism.html

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

So how is the vodka and sauna regimen working out for Belarus? I read about that a while ago and saw pictures of Easter church celebrations yesterday. Those folks are not social distancing at all.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

So how is the vodka and sauna regimen working out for Belarus? I read about that a while ago and saw pictures of Easter church celebrations yesterday. Those folks are not social distancing at all.
They stopped updating number of confirmed cases two days ago and there were increases in double digits in days before... so, badly.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Dwesa posted:

They stopped updating number of confirmed cases two days ago and there were increases in double digits in days before... so, badly.

They've just released the total number of confirmed cases, and it's up to 6,264 as of Monday.

It's not too bad all things considered. Regular people don't trust the government, so they actually practice social distancing and wear masks without any state-mandated quarantine. The ministry of healthcare didn't take Lukashenko's stupid jokes as policy, and actually prepared the healthcare system to accommodate rising numbers of patients. Schools and universities had their spring break extended, and all large events were cancelled until May. There is no word yet on the Victory Day parade, if I'm not mistaken, but since even Russia decided to postpone it, I expect Lukashenko to follow Putin's example on that one.

There were very few churches (both Catholic and Orthodox) that didn't adjust their Easter services at all. Most either had services without any lay people present, or ensured that people could keep the distance. On top of that, the attendance was already very low, almost 70% down compared to 2019.

It is however, troubling, that reporting got a bit spotty for three whole days. It's probably just a cock-up on the data gathering end, rather than the government trying to cover up huge numbers, because if they wanted, they could just report any numbers that would make them look good and completely ignore WHO from then on. We'll see what WHO says about the new data, though.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 20, 2020

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Well, scratch the part about spring break. Lukashenko's suddenly decided that it's time for kids to go back to school.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Paladinus posted:

Well, scratch the part about spring break. Lukashenko's suddenly decided that it's time for kids to go back to school.
Well, that's stupid. Not sure whether it will make parents more happy or unhappy.

I checked number of cases for past few days and there is some decline in percentual increase, which might look suspicious but it might be just natural decline.

Anyway, it seems that forest fires (or remnants of them) near Chernobyl are now heading towards Belarusian borders.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Good news everybody! According to recent polling, only 18% of Russians still support "liquidating" gay people!

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 16, 2020

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Dwesa posted:

Well, that's stupid. Not sure whether it will make parents more happy or unhappy.

I checked number of cases for past few days and there is some decline in percentual increase, which might look suspicious but it might be just natural decline.

Anyway, it seems that forest fires (or remnants of them) near Chernobyl are now heading towards Belarusian borders.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ChNeKxIqI

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You spend the day at post office. Nothing happened

You found a barrel of oil. Nobody wants it, neither do you.

Amazing

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Nitrox posted:

You spend the day at post office. Nothing happened

You found a barrel of oil. Nobody wants it, neither do you.

Amazing

пакет надо?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Xerxes17 posted:

пакет надо?

Да

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU