Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Speaking of communities, guilds are a thing now right? So we'll have a Goon Squad going I'm sure.

Yep.

Squads can have up to 50 members. I have a feeling there will be two or even three PS4 squads all filled with just goons. Squads even get their own hubs, so you can pop in to a room with up to 18 other goons in it. Organizing whatever hunt you need in World will certainly be pretty simple, even without hopping on the Discord or whatever, at least for the first few months.

As an Xbone player, I do worry a bit that the population of goon players will be pretty low on that side, but at least the squad system will make it easier to get a list going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Aren't urgent quests marked as being such on the lobby browser? Which means it's basically charity for people who don't have that urgent to help with them instead of just finding a regular lobby killing that monster which will have better players?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I forget which youtube video it was on, but it sounded like you could be a member of multiple squads. That sounded optimal.

Trick Question posted:

If I could join a queue and just guaranteed get into some random hunt instead of having to faff about in a lobby, I'd do it instantly, so I'm really hoping that's how it works.

My immediate response was "what about having the wrong loadout?" and then I remember capcom already covered that by letting you change in camp. :v:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mailer posted:

My immediate response was "what about having the wrong loadout?" and then I remember capcom already covered that by letting you change in camp. :v:

In restrospect, letting you change gear in base camp was probably intended to better facilitate drop in co-op.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kill the key quest system along with urgents and Mon Hun will be great again

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Kill the key quest system along with urgents and Mon Hun will be great again

I dunno about urgents, but key quests and optional quests have separate menus in World, so you can totally ignore everything that doesn't offer progression if you want.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Neo_Crimson posted:

In restrospect, letting you change gear in base camp was probably intended to better facilitate drop in co-op.

I figured that not being able to change gear in- mission was a hardware limitation of the PSP and 3ds.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Wait I just realized are we like two months away from MHWorld? I've been avoiding all hype/videos but now it's really close!

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

bbcisdabomb posted:

I figured that not being able to change gear in- mission was a hardware limitation of the PSP and 3ds.

PS2, but yeah there are decisions that are "traditional and vital to the game" that were just limitations of the hardware available. I'm sure when Tri came out using the PSP control scheme that there were people saying clawing was vital to the monster hunter experience and capcom was ruining the game.

empathe posted:

Wait I just realized are we like two months away from MHWorld? I've been avoiding all hype/videos but now it's really close!

There's no reason to avoid it for spoilers, since it's Monster Hunter, but if you want to not get super hyped then definitely continue to not watch videos.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

BMan posted:

On the other hand they added even more urgent-like quests in Gen, so maybe they don't know what they're doing :shrug:

God that sucked so bad. Hub Village Requests acting like Urgents is the dumbest loving thing. I have a bunch in my Generations playthrough that I've never finished because it's a pain in the rear end to do them. I tried doing some of them by myself and... no. I am not good enough to solo multiplayer content.

If Worlds scrapped that system, the game will be well rid of it. Seems like the game in general took out a lot of annoying bullshit. Can't wait to play! In several months when it comes out for PC...

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|

Mailer posted:

There's no reason to avoid it for spoilers, since it's Monster Hunter, but if you want to not get super hyped then definitely continue to not watch videos.

Are there good videos that just show gameplay and aren't big walkthroughs?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Mailer posted:

PS2, but yeah there are decisions that are "traditional and vital to the game" that were just limitations of the hardware available. I'm sure when Tri came out using the PSP control scheme that there were people saying clawing was vital to the monster hunter experience and capcom was ruining the game.

There were a lot of them. Freedom Unite created a bunch of MH elitists for a variety of reasons: It was on an unpopular system, required you to learn an unintuitive and uncomfortable grip, it had the highest density of absolutely hosed hitboxes in the series, weapons had much more limited movesets, it was bereft of most of the later quality-of-life improvements and features, and the game was pretty difficult (partially because of the aforementioned factors). People who persisted through the bullshit often developed superiority complexes about it, as is pretty common with difficult games. As soon as Tri came along and made changes, most of those guys lost their poo poo. Not to say that Tri was a great MH game, it had a boatload of problems, but it played so much better than anything on PSP that I never looked back, personally.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

claw rules dual analog drools

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

empathe posted:

Most of the footage is from the demo version (nearly 100% chance this will be our "beta"), with a bit from filtering out from a recent event where youtube superstars were invited to play the real game and were allowed to take video. Everything has talking over it, but you can mute that if you want zero information and just want to look at the pretty environments.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I think not being able to swap gear within a lobby or anywhere around other players was actually a netcode limitation rather than a system one. They were very minimalist with their netcode in order to ensure the greatest number of people could actually play together at once while on the go so they always cordoned off the area where you could change gear to a place where no other players could possibly be around. Otherwise they'd either have to deal with people spam changing gear or checks to make sure you wouldn't update if they were, both of which would slow things down.

Now that it's not on a portable and people should be using their home internet they're being a bit more ambitious, I guess. Maybe even small monster locations will line up now!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Given MHW's imminent (in monhun terms) release, is it worth it getting Gen or 4U? Which one is better for a solo experience considering multiplayer's prolly dead?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Given MHW's imminent (in monhun terms) release, is it worth it getting Gen or 4U? Which one is better for a solo experience considering multiplayer's prolly dead?

mhxx with a translation patch

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
4U is a super solid singleplayer experience

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

4U is the better game overall imo. Has an actual story and whatnot. Better monster roster. Less bullshit gathering quests.

Gen has styles/arts and prowler mode though, which are both fun. Neither will be in World though. Gen probably has a more active online population.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Gen has styles/arts and prowler mode though, which are both fun. Neither will be in World though. Gen probably has a more active online population.

all of which are reasons why I'd suggest gen

4 has a story but trying out styles is also super fun. I don't know if 4u will be a comparable experience to mhw but gen is so far in left field compared with the other mh games that it's real good

just get both imo lol

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

If you're not down with haxing your 3ds or playing in moonspeak, then 4U would be the one to go for. It has got village high rank and a storyline so in terms of solo content it'd have more.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
4U seems more solid for single player but aerial style looks like so much fun :saddowns:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Play Insect Glaive in 4U, problem solved

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

4U if you want a cohesive solid experience,

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

mhxx with a translation patch

if you want Too Much Stuff (not in a bad way)

I feel like both can complement world since world has so many changes.

Zore posted:

Play Insect Glaive in 4U, problem solved

Aerial insect glaive rules, though

That said I'd recommend 4U if you had to pick just one

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

4u with insect glaive and you can sleepwalk through all of the content solo

get tired of it while you can because it's been nerfed into oblivion unless mhw brings it back from the depths

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

AttackBacon posted:

There were a lot of them. Freedom Unite created a bunch of MH elitists for a variety of reasons: It was on an unpopular system, required you to learn an unintuitive and uncomfortable grip, it had the highest density of absolutely hosed hitboxes in the series, weapons had much more limited movesets, it was bereft of most of the later quality-of-life improvements and features, and the game was pretty difficult (partially because of the aforementioned factors). People who persisted through the bullshit often developed superiority complexes about it, as is pretty common with difficult games. As soon as Tri came along and made changes, most of those guys lost their poo poo. Not to say that Tri was a great MH game, it had a boatload of problems, but it played so much better than anything on PSP that I never looked back, personally.

This was my observation with a few MHFU grogs as well and it was definitely reflected in certain YouTube stars' expressed opinions like mazereon until he posted his "I quit" video about 3U.

He was really skilled and good at explaining action mechanics that I can only wordlessly intuit usually, and it's disappointing to see guys like him succumb to elitism or drama or real-life changes

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

4U also has better pacing in its monster selection and teaching compared to Gen, which just throws all the old classic monsters at you at once, before you get to the good ones. Also 4u's story campaign is cool. I like Gen a lot for its styles, but 4u is a lot better balanced.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Your first encounter with Batman Wyvern in 4U is also amazing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
I've only ever done multiplayer with my little brother, but this time around it won't be possible. He's deciding to get an xbox one so he can play overwatch with his friends, which since he does have actual real people who play on that console, makes sense. RIP Monster Hunter tradition though.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
In case anyone needs to ramp up for the release, Amazon has PS4s for $200 and a year of PS Plus for $40 right now

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Boco_T posted:

In case anyone needs to ramp up for the release, Amazon has PS4s for $200 and a year of PS Plus for $40 right now

Has it been confirmed that PS4Pros aren't going anywhere in price?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Has it been confirmed that PS4Pros aren't going anywhere in price?

Gamestop supposedly will have them for $50 off on actual Black Friday day.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

If you've played earlier games and want a quick nostalgic romp, get Gen.

If you want the latest poo poo, get XX (and optionally a translation patch).

If you want to warm up for World, or if you want a discernable story, get 4U.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 20, 2017

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Fuzz posted:

Gamestop supposedly will have them for $50 off on actual Black Friday day.

Excellent! Thanks for the heads up.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

empathe posted:

All you really need to see is this video right here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335oefBy-9Q

It's the new farm, baby!
(It's exactly the same as the current farm system. That's the takeaway from that five-minute video.)

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So Dauntless is getting a big revamp in December along with a wipe.

https://playdauntless.com/news/sharpen-your-skills-preview

The big things are revamping how missions work, how loot works, and introducing the new weapon, the War Pike.

https://playdauntless.com/images/WarPike4.mp4

The pike seems to revolve around freeform combos and using side dash attacks to reposition yourself. You get a meter that increases damage as it fills, but it drains automatically and will be lost completely if you get hit. You can also spend your meter to shoot off a laser from the butt of the pike.

Ohh and they're finally implementing different damage types and damage resistance on behemoths.

Blunt staggers and breaks.
Cut severs parts.
Pierce creates temporary weakpoints that everyone can benefit from.

Ohh and optional damage numbers.

Ohh and 2 new monsters.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 21, 2017

Fuzzykins
Nov 24, 2013

bbcisdabomb posted:

It's the new farm, baby!
(It's exactly the same as the current farm system. That's the takeaway from that five-minute video.)

Minus the felynes :(

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Having played the beta, I wouldn't hold my breath for Dauntless being any good. The combat is janky even by monster hunter standards and they tried way too hard to make the weapons distinct from their MH counterparts. The hammer has a poorly explained gun mechanic that doesn't jive with the playstyle and the sword is extremely simple except for a pointless power up mechanic where you gain charges and then release them for a temporary boost. This would be fine if the weapons themselves were satisfying or had any oomph to them, but the animations themselves lack any weight and it feels like you're whacking monsters with wiffle bats. In the current build monsters also stand around for periods of time literally not doing anything while you beat them to death. It's unsatisfying to play on just about every front and I can't see future builds really turning this around, having seen what their philosophy on weapon design is. It's even more pointless now that we're only two months away from World.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Terrific Accident posted:

Having played the beta, I wouldn't hold my breath for Dauntless being any good. The combat is janky even by monster hunter standards and they tried way too hard to make the weapons distinct from their MH counterparts. The hammer has a poorly explained gun mechanic that doesn't jive with the playstyle and the sword is extremely simple except for a pointless power up mechanic where you gain charges and then release them for a temporary boost. This would be fine if the weapons themselves were satisfying or had any oomph to them, but the animations themselves lack any weight and it feels like you're whacking monsters with wiffle bats. In the current build monsters also stand around for periods of time literally not doing anything while you beat them to death. It's unsatisfying to play on just about every front and I can't see future builds really turning this around, having seen what their philosophy on weapon design is. It's even more pointless now that we're only two months away from World.

I feel like most studios have problems with adding weight to combat animations like monster hunter does. As a heavy weapon lover, it is something that I always notice. Of all the hunting games, only maybe soul sacrifice and freedom wars got it right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

nerdz posted:

I feel like most studios have problems with adding weight to combat animations like monster hunter does. As a heavy weapon lover, it is something that I always notice. Of all the hunting games, only maybe soul sacrifice and freedom wars got it right.

This is the problem I have with every MH knockoff. Theres no weight behind it. The first World trailer with the greatsword golf swing just game me the tingles. Thats MH. I cant wait.

• Locked thread