Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Durandal1707 posted:

doesn't help that Henry Cavill has all the charisma of a street lamp too

Like the weirdest thing about that movie is I don't dislike any of the individual elements (with the exception of the first 20 minutes)

But once you throw it all together Snyder just has no idea what the gently caress he's doing

like in b v s why does jimmy olsen need to be a cia agent who get's merk'd in the first ten minutes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Wait our moms have the same name? Holy poo poo dude im so sorry here lemme help you up

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

with the nolan movies i can definitely see a group of talented writers, actors, and producers sitting around, tossing ideas back and forth, having an idea of what their goal is, and achieving it.

with snyder it's like a bunch of teenagers stole mom's pills and talked about how they could make explosions bigger

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Blitz7x posted:

Wait our moms have the same name? Holy poo poo dude im so sorry here lemme help you up

the worst part is ben affleck was a loving great bruce wayne

way better than anyone since michael keaton

he also rewrote most of his dialog because he's legit a fan

but snyder was insistent upon the martha scene.....

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Huh, I hadn't really noticed all those movies Snyder directed.

I saw 300 and thought it was pretty funny, and Watchmen was decent, but man, everything past that is just a mess.

I kind of want to see this because what on earth could it be going by everything else he's done? CG Owl's just slow-mo fighting with hawks for 88 minutes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Guardians:_The_Owls_of_Ga%27Hoole

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Huh, I hadn't really noticed all those movies Snyder directed.

I saw 300 and thought it was pretty funny, and Watchmen was decent, but man, everything past that is just a mess.

I kind of want to see this because what on earth could it be going by everything else he's done? CG Owl's just slow-mo fighting with hawks for 88 minutes?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Guardians:_The_Owls_of_Ga%27Hoole

it's complete loving nonsense

owls with corinthian helmets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8RKCmkOyB4

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

it's complete loving nonsense

owls with corinthian helmets

Yeah, I remember seeing the trailer for that once. That looks like some fantastic poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

Yeah, I remember seeing the trailer for that once. That looks like some fantastic poo poo.

do you want to see slow motion owls doing flying combat in front of a setting sun?

THEN DO I HAVE A MOVIE FOR YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I thought the Owl in Secret of Nimh was really cool, so uh... no, not really I guess.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

swickles posted:

Also, Lego Batman was the best Batman movie. My favorite part about it was it having all these absolutely ridiculous villains THAT ACTUALLY EXISTED IN THE COMICS. Looking at you Condiment Man.

That's Condiment King to you, peasant.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

FizFashizzle posted:

the worst part is ben affleck was a loving great bruce wayne

way better than anyone since michael keaton

he also rewrote most of his dialog because he's legit a fan

but snyder was insistent upon the martha scene.....

I have this theory that Ben Affleck was the best Bruce Wayne, and they should have two different actors. Like how great would it be to have Affleck as Bruce Wayne and Keanu Reeves as Batman. Hell, Clooney said he wants another crack at Batman, he would make a great Bruce Wayne, just have someone else play Batman.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Affleck's Bruce Wayne had all the personality of a brick. I'll somewhat forgive it for the fact that the Wayne/Batman they portrayed in BvS seems worn down and has only a gently caress or two to give at that point. He made a better Batman than expected though.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I went huge on the Celtics ML tonight

John Wall buried a 3 right in my rear end in a top hat.

gently caress me in the face

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Affleck's Bruce Wayne had all the personality of a brick. I'll somewhat forgive it for the fact that the Wayne/Batman they portrayed in BvS seems worn down and has only a gently caress or two to give at that point. He made a better Batman than expected though.

i mean the most charismatic non keaton bruce wayne was clooney, who has admitted to playing it gay

affleck sold me on "yeah i need to kill superman because something this powerful can't be allowed to live"

also you guys should watch the half in the bag analysis of the superman movies they're fantastic.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

FizFashizzle posted:

affleck sold me on "yeah i need to kill superman because something this powerful can't be allowed to live"

Really any government would make tracking down and eliminating super "heroes" priority number one. They gently caress up the state's monopoly on the legitimate use of force within its borders, which is the sine qua non of statehood (per Max Weber).

Plus they look like idiots and cause insane amounts of collateral and property damage.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Magneto was right.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalli posted:

Magneto was right.

Also self-evident.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I would love for them to make a live action The Dark Knight Returns movie, that was the Batman vs. Superman movie we should have got. Imagine Clooney playing a late 50's Batman out of retirement for over a decade, coming back to deal with a threat, political talking heads rallying the populace against him leading to a final fight with Superman where he fakes his death only to go and lead a new gang of Batman cultists bent on keeping Gotham safe. The Dark Knight Returns is such a great story arc and DC really blew Batman vs. Superman by not making that the story line. Unless the Apokolips/Darseid storyline they are angling for turns out to be good, but you know it will be poo poo. Its hard to convey the supreme badness of Apocalypse in Marvel and Darkseid in DC in movies. Both DC and Marvel have great planet killing villains and they don't do poo poo with them. The only one that has promise so far is Thanos.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The mid to late 90's was the beginning of the best decade in musical history ever

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Is the world ready for a live action Batman Beyond

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

I love most of the DC Vertigo titles, and do not care if you judge me

That's not really a controversial opinion, though.

I mean, you're probably talking about the old Vertigo titles, but I still can't help but be amazed that the dude from loving My Chemical Romance does a decent Grant Morrison impersonation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think I'd like a batman movie with a pitiable character study villain like those old batman cartoon episodes of the with Mr. Freeze or Mad Hatter or Riddler

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Kalli posted:

I think I'd like a batman movie with a pitiable character study villain like those old batman cartoon episodes of the with Mr. Freeze or Mad Hatter or Riddler

Have you read/seen The Dark Knight Returns? The DC Animation movie is a super faithful adaptation of the comic.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Guess what nerds, DC decided that Watchmen is totally gonna be part of the main DC universe now, also it's all Dr. Manhattan's fault that the past like 10 years of DC comics have completely sucked poo poo.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/VP/status/863182608552906755

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mr. Hands faked his own death to become VP, it all makes sense

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

I haven't seen Logan yet but apparently it's good.

But yeah once singer bounced to do super man returns (lol) xmen fell to pieces.

It's a little overrated in that some people were jizzing themselves about it being the greatest comic movie ever made, but it's definitely a very good movie and very much worth seeing. It's violent but has a lot of heart and the performances from ol' chuckles picard and from huge jackedman are amazing.

Also, the best Bruce Wayne was Christian Bale but I thought Affleck was a better Batman. Bale being a dick to just about everyone was loving amazing. The smug "great slogan Harvey" was grouse.

Alien Covenant was pretty cool too. Danny McBride did a good job.

FizFashizzle posted:

post your routine

Monday - Squats or Dead lifts on alternating weeks, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, walking lunges, kettlebell swings, abs
Tuesday - Shoulder press dumbells, military press barbell, side laterals then bench press dumbells, incline press with dumbells, decline with barbell, flys - calf stuff
Wed - Rest
Thursday - Chin ups, cable rows, rows with a barbell, pull downs (front), pull downs back (light weight) - abs
Friday - Curls, Preacher curls, hammer curls, Tricep extensions, skull crushers, rope pull downs - calf stuff

I also work in kettlebell stuff in place of other poo poo to help the stabilising muscles so sometimes I'll do shoulder press with kettlebells and turkish get ups etc. Work in club bells / mace bells and some rope stuff here and there.

I try to change between slightly higher reps and less with more weight and sometimes to extra sets of certain exercises depending on what feels like what but I try to track what I can do based on 3 sets of 10, 10, 8 of all of the above. I stretch every night to keep my flexibility too.

I also try to keep it flexible if somethings hurting or feeling sore I'll go a little easier. I used to just blow myself out and end up injured so I tend to sometimes cut those reps to as low as 6 or 7 if I'm getting elbow or wrist pain or something. I got some miles on the tyres from MMA for years so I gotta be a little easier as I approach 30. First time I've ever hit a plateau but I'm carrying more lean muscle than ever in my life atm.

Food wise I mostly eat Keto but it's very much almost all plants and sources of fat from stuff like MCT oils, meat, nuts, avacado, and condiments. I eat a lot of fatty cuts of meat and dark fish like tuna and salmon. Minimal carbs only about 50 grams or so of a night time before work out days. Saturday I eat whatever I want but don't go stupid. I get a blood test about every 6 months because it's free on my insurance and I seem to naturally be low in vitamin d despite getting a lot of sun.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 13, 2017

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i need more information like what you're stalling on, rep schemes + weight lifted, etc

before you respond, your weight training should go something like this

aesthetic progress is up to you. whatever you think, it's completely subjective and it's really a silly thing to use it to drive your training. treat it as like a secondary effect.

strength gains are easy to track.

you need to base it off the three primary lifts: deadlift, backsquat, and press.

Everything else is an accessory to those three lifts.

There's also olympic weightlifting but that's a whole different monster.

Find a program that focuses on those main three lifts and does all the other things as simple accessories. Like instead of rotating around a gym doing various machine exercises, find a program that prioritizes actual squatting for like 60% of the day, then do some other things if you want to attract highschool girls.

you might have to be taught how to do the lifts properly but that's not hard anymore if there's a decent crossfit gym in your area.

I spent a lot of years designing non crossfit workout plans for people. i'd have them squatting three times a week and even people that had never done power/oly lifting in their lives loved it and the progress they made.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Monday - Squats or Dead lifts on alternating weeks, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, walking lunges, kettlebell swings, abs
Tuesday - Shoulder press dumbells, military press barbell, side laterals then bench press dumbells, incline press with dumbells, decline with barbell, flys - calf stuff
Wed - Rest
Thursday - Chin ups, cable rows, rows with a barbell, pull downs (front), pull downs back (light weight) - abs
Friday - Curls, Preacher curls, hammer curls, Tricep extensions, skull crushers, rope pull downs - calf stuff

I also work in kettlebell stuff in place of other poo poo to help the stabilising muscles so sometimes I'll do shoulder press with kettlebells and turkish get ups etc. Work in club bells / mace bells and some rope stuff here and there.

I try to change between slightly higher reps and less with more weight and sometimes to extra sets of certain exercises depending on what feels like what but I try to track what I can do based on 3 sets of 10, 10, 8 of all of the above. I stretch every night to keep my flexibility too.

I also try to keep it flexible if somethings hurting or feeling sore I'll go a little easier. I used to just blow myself out and end up injured so I tend to sometimes cut those reps to as low as 6 or 7 if I'm getting elbow or wrist pain or something. I got some miles on the tyres from MMA for years so I gotta be a little easier as I approach 30. First time I've ever hit a plateau but I'm carrying more lean muscle than ever in my life atm.

Food wise I mostly eat Keto but it's very much almost all plants and sources of fat from stuff like MCT oils, meat, nuts, avacado, and condiments. I eat a lot of fatty cuts of meat and dark fish like tuna and salmon. Minimal carbs only about 50 grams or so of a night time before work out days. Saturday I eat whatever I want but don't go stupid. I get a blood test about every 6 months because it's free on my insurance and I seem to naturally be low in vitamin d despite getting a lot of sun.

But what did James Harrison say?

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Just watch Justice League Unlimited again and ignore the live-action DC movies.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Need a movie recommendation. Streaming or rent. Not comedy and Very good

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Need a movie recommendation. Streaming or rent. Not comedy and Very good

in bruges

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaPzN2gD3PQ

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

"Why didn't you wave hello to me today when I waved hello to you today?"

I've seen it like 30 times and it's one of my favorites. May have to now that you say that

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4vLFwWosCM

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

loving FINE

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

i need more information like what you're stalling on, rep schemes + weight lifted, etc
before you respond, your weight training should go something like this
aesthetic progress is up to you. whatever you think, it's completely subjective and it's really a silly thing to use it to drive your training. treat it as like a secondary effect.
strength gains are easy to track.
you need to base it off the three primary lifts: deadlift, backsquat, and press.
Everything else is an accessory to those three lifts.
There's also olympic weightlifting but that's a whole different monster.
Find a program that focuses on those main three lifts and does all the other things as simple accessories. Like instead of rotating around a gym doing various machine exercises, find a program that prioritizes actual squatting for like 60% of the day, then do some other things if you want to attract highschool girls.
you might have to be taught how to do the lifts properly but that's not hard anymore if there's a decent crossfit gym in your area.
I spent a lot of years designing non crossfit workout plans for people. i'd have them squatting three times a week and even people that had never done power/oly lifting in their lives loved it and the progress they made.

So ideally I should be tracking bench press, squats and deadlifts in terms of weight lifted and reps and treat everything else as accessories to improve those lifts?

I've mainly stalled out with my Squat being that I can half rep 120kgs but I can't get full rear end to grass and drive from there. 100kg I can quite easily and at 110 I can get 8,8,8 done with good form. My Bench is similar in that with a spot I can get reps out but I struggle at the bottom, keeping the weight stable and at the top is fine but the lower part of the lift I stall out - my gym doesn't have chains either.

I'm only fairly light (72kg) and my form is good, I got taught by a guy who ran a lifting program for a college rugby team - I don't need instruction on form for the big three. I know my program is more of a body building routine but I do try to keep most of my focus on working the most muscles and keeping it as functional and practical as I can around that. Just trying something different from years of doing functional lifts with a lot of flexibility work while trying to keep my weight low for competition. I'm not going to be huge into numbers in terms of what I can lift, but I like to continue to improve in that area, being able to lift heavy stuff is cool.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
We are watching In Time because we had a morbid curiosity about how absurd it is

Its pretty loving absurd.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Watching Hidden Figures, it's a feel good movie, but I feel it could have been a lot more intense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

BlindSite posted:

So ideally I should be tracking bench press, squats and deadlifts in terms of weight lifted and reps and treat everything else as accessories to improve those lifts?

Basically yes. Now, there are a million different philosophies on this, but just to give you a bit of my thinking....

The reason for this is that between those three lifts you're going to recruit roughly 99% of the musculature in your body. Without getting into the biochemistry of it all these lifts produce the best effects in your body. At the end of the day you've evolved to basically push a plow, and all movement in the human body is some variant of a push and a pull.

Squats, deadlift and press are going to be very stable lifts relative to other things. Your accessory lifts like curls, or shrugs, or whatever, they can vary day to day and are very hard to track. They're also very hard to plan for. Getting into your curl weights is a realm you don't want to get in to. The other four lifts are very easy to track and plan for.

I'm not saying don't do them. I personally do not because I found i made greater gains both in physique (although I kinda stopped caring about that completely) and strength when I adopted a more olympic style training regimen, but not everyone wants to learn to clean and snatch and poo poo and that's totally fine. to each their own. At the end of the day you have to find something you enjoy doing.

Now, i did not say bench press; i said press. However the difference between the two negligible, and i'll let you read up on the difference if you so desire. However, there are many articles about the benefits strict press (or military press) have on your bench.

Full disclosure: my bench is very underwhelming relative to the rest of my lifts. I have poor proportions and makeup for bench, but its kinda sad that I'm stuck around 110k 1RM considering everything else.

quote:

I've mainly stalled out with my Squat being that I can half rep 120kgs but I can't get full rear end to grass and drive from there. 100kg I can quite easily and at 110 I can get 8,8,8 done with good form. My Bench is similar in that with a spot I can get reps out but I struggle at the bottom, keeping the weight stable and at the top is fine but the lower part of the lift I stall out - my gym doesn't have chains either.

So most men in my experience can easily get into the 110-120k range on their backsquat without much trouble, then they hit that giant wall. Without seeing a video of your squat it would be difficult for me to assess. However, since you say 3x8 at just 10k less is easy, I suspect the problem is going to be form, simply because struggling at 120k v easily doing a set of 8 at 110k doesn't make much sense.

There are other factors as well: diet, drinking, sleep, etc. Again though, that's such a large discrepancy I'd bet the problem is actually in technique.

quote:

I'm only fairly light (72kg) and my form is good, I got taught by a guy who ran a lifting program for a college rugby team - I don't need instruction on form for the big three. I know my program is more of a body building routine but I do try to keep most of my focus on working the most muscles and keeping it as functional and practical as I can around that. Just trying something different from years of doing functional lifts with a lot of flexibility work while trying to keep my weight low for competition. I'm not going to be huge into numbers in terms of what I can lift, but I like to continue to improve in that area, being able to lift heavy stuff is cool.

I mean again it sounds like you're doing something that makes you happy and that works for you.

I'd be more than happy to watch a video of your squat or whatever to see if there's something obvious that sticks out to me.

Spoeank posted:

We are watching In Time because we had a morbid curiosity about how absurd it is

Its pretty loving absurd.

that movie would have been so much loving better if they hadn't cast timberlake.

the script is loving fantastic. Just imagine it if it was some gritty indie film.

yeah I know that sounds like angsty teenage film major .txt or whatever but I feel like it's just too pretty for how good the screenplay is.

• Locked thread