Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Maybe this will finally get me to play some of the solo games I've bought and never played.

I'll almost certainly just play video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Time to clip counters.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Looks like all of my boardgaming for the next while will be with my two little kids and wife.

Finally started putting the latest design bouncing around in my head onto paper too.

Though, I'm in the metro Detroit area, and the guy that starts most of the bigger gatherings here said that games are still on! And had a big gathering at a local bar on Friday night. Cool, cool. It's not like all schools were just cancelled here for the next three weeks, and we've got 25 known cases here now, which means hundreds to thousands of unknown ones.

Xia Expansion added some side board which controls how many cubes are on the planets, and affects prices I think? To cut down on the 'shortest merchant route wins' bit. Also added single square addons for your ship which just add +1 to the roll for whatever it's attached to, so if you hate rolling 1's, great, now it's a 2. It also added a bunch of random stuff, like armor you can hang off the side of your ship to take extra hits, and cube storage that hangs off the side of your ship and can only carry cubes. Added a new kind of thing like 'relics' which you can dig up and sell or turn into points, and also frost damage that slowly spreads through your ship until it's fixed. It also removed the 'you die, lose a turn' for my 'you die, respawn with some damage' or something.

I haven't tried it since it came out, but it did fix a bunch of things while adding its own problems. Like, there's now just so many tiles that a bunch of the cool ones won't show up in a game unless people are fervently expanding. It also didn't fix the broken combat where a certain combination of ship mods are needed to make combat useful (and in the case of that combo, ridiculously overpowered). Combat is still mostly 'invest in a good shield and ignore people shooting at you'.

So, it's still broken, but not quite as broken. I'd call it an experience generator, it's just long with tons of down time.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Time to clip counters.

Ive been eyeing one of them fancy edge clippers for awhile now and I'm tempted.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Ghetto clipper works too

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

They're finally releasing an English version of Sticheln and they're calling it Stick 'Em. I'll just keep playing with my $2 rage deck.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'd consider it if the new version is more colorblind-friendly, because the rage deck is useless for playing with my brother.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

El Fideo posted:

I'd consider it if the new version is more colorblind-friendly, because the rage deck is useless for playing with my brother.

Looks identical to the current German edition aside from the localization.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Quixotic1 posted:

Ive been eyeing one of them fancy edge clippers for awhile now and I'm tempted.

I got a corner rounder from Michaels that has been a lifesaver for pointy sleeves and cardstock. Best 8 bucks I've spent

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I have a bunch of credit to my flgs and they have the Root Underworld expansion Kickstarter available. Can anyone share opinions on the new deck, factions (we just have base Root currently and have only played a few times), and the adorable vagabond meeples?

Actual content: played Nemesis yesterday. Theme is neat and the board looks cool but I haven't played a game that reminded me of 2010 FFG in a long time. Tons of different decks, counters, tokens that mean different things at different times, a modular board where the rules of each space needed to be referenced on a cheat sheet. It was exhausting to learn and play, and incredibly fiddly. This was exactly the type of stuff that got me into the hobby 11 years ago but I hardly have patience for it now. I wouldn't say I hated it but I'm not chomping at the bit to play it again.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ravendas posted:

Xia Expansion

Cheers for that. I think I'm going to be shelving it for a while, which bums me out as it was such a great kickstarter game for me.

The minis and metal coins are just a delight to play with.

Perhaps playing it back to back with TI4E was it's downfall :v:

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Radioactive Toy posted:

I have a bunch of credit to my flgs and they have the Root Underworld expansion Kickstarter available. Can anyone share opinions on the new deck, factions (we just have base Root currently and have only played a few times), and the adorable vagabond meeples?

The new deck is a significant improvement over the base deck. The crafted card abilities are much more powerful and impactful on average, but they removed the Favor of X cards that could really gently caress up a game. I doubt I’ll ever play with the base deck again.

The factions are also great. They’re a bit more complex than the base factions but they’re balanced, and they open up a lot of variety in faction combinations. The Moles have a little bit of a tableau building feel, and should appeal to anyone who likes that. The Crows play a bit of a Netrunner shell game, which is delightful.

The Vagabond meeples are, in fact, adorable, but I haven’t played with any of the new Vagabonds so I have nothing to add there.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How is Root?

I've wanted to add it to my collection, but SU&SD ambivalent about it and one of my strategy friends said it sucks (But he is also a highly opinionated arsehole about certain genres)

Like it looks great, the meeples are adorable, and I think I'd enjoy it :ohdear:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Root is truly incredible. I've been playing 1-3 games a week of it with a pool of around 20 players between my coworkers and the kids at work. The Underworld expansion's new maps, along with the new deck, are must-haves. The factions are charming and engaging all over. Buy it and expand it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I get the feeling Quinns burnt himself out on Root and got frustrated by people with less experience than him.

Biggest problem with Root for me is that the second expac is still weeks or months away from arriving here.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Root is fine if you don't already have a deep bench of dudes on a map game. It feels just a little too basic and rote if you do have other choices though.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I got to play Cartographers at the most recent local board game meetup (we'll probably stop going for a while). Excellent little game - you get to draw areas on your own little graph papery-y pad (your map) based on a common deck of cards. One card is drawn each turn and all players have to put a tetris-like shape on their map. Sometimes you can choose from one of two shapes, and sometime you choose what type of area this is (water, forest, village etc. as well as monsters). There are four common scoring cards (drawn from a larger deck at the start) of which two are scored each phase (similar to Isle of Skye).

I've ordered a copy myself now, it's a really fun little game. It gets better when you bring along a set of coloured pens so you can make your map look pretty :)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Hmm. Haven't played Root yet, but based on people's reactions it seems like a highly accessible but somewhat simplified asymmetrical strategy game. Theme makes it easy to get people interested who might not otherwise play COIN or something with a density greater than lead, and with most of the subtleties and oddities of that sort of genre stripped out the gameplay can get a bit topographically similar for those experienced in that design space.

What interests me here is moving the conflict from goal to method. I wonder if that's how you build an asymmetrical game. Have to give that some thought. And maybe find someone to play Root with, haha.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
My group has been back and forth on Root. First it landed really well, then we had some bad experience with it so it got shelved until the latest expansion came back out and we've been enjoying it again. If you've played Vast one of my friends prefers it to Vast because it's not one faction holding another in check and the victory point track makes it easy to see who is winning and needs smacked. Personally I'm really fond of it but it's my only dudes on a map game.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
"I have a game coming that is about cute and cuddly animals, that all behave differently, having a huge war" gets a very positive reaction when I describe it to my friends. I imagine at some point I will add some extra DOAM games to my collection but this will be my first and seems like a good way of luring people into some slightly heavier games. I'm hoping I can even spin it with "remember the cute and cuddly war game? I have another game coming from the same designer that's even better!" and then I will dump Pax Pamir into their lap before they have time to think about it.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Pax is such a great game, both in the actual game play, but also in its implementing a war-ish game that includes indigenous people in a realistic way. The inclusion of Afghans in the conflict immediatly makes it a far better game than without Afghans for me.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Infinitum posted:

Cheers for that. I think I'm going to be shelving it for a while, which bums me out as it was such a great kickstarter game for me.

The minis and metal coins are just a delight to play with.

Perhaps playing it back to back with TI4E was it's downfall :v:

Oh yeah, the expansion had some orange 2k coins in it too. They're such nice coins.

I take the coins out of games, put them in bags and hang them on my shelves. The Xia coins have seen more use outside of Xia than in.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ravendas posted:

Oh yeah, the expansion had some orange 2k coins in it too. They're such nice coins.

I take the coins out of games, put them in bags and hang them on my shelves. The Xia coins have seen more use outside of Xia than in.

I have a set of the coins made for Hegemonic, and I don't even own the game. They're really good coins and come in a ton of denominations, so I used to use them for Netrunner - the Runner used the regular 1/2/5/10 denominations, while as Corp I'd multiply everything up by a thousand.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Root has been my group's most played game for the past year by a long shot. And when I say "my group" I mean a revolving group of 20 or more people. Only one or two of them don't enjoy it, most will still jump at any opportunity to play. We've had meetups with 2 simultaneous games running. I own 5 COIN games, and at this point I'd rather play Root than Cuba Libre or Pendragon. I personally rank it up with Kemet and Inis.

I agree that the new maps are more interesting and the new deck is a no-brainer. The Crows are a lot of fun and a nice change of strategy from all the others. The Moles are a decent substitute for Cats or Birds, but their tableau really only offers the illusion of variety. I have never played a game yet with Moles in it that they didn't win.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

Pax is such a great game, both in the actual game play, but also in its implementing a war-ish game that includes indigenous people in a realistic way. The inclusion of Afghans in the conflict immediatly makes it a far better game than without Afghans for me.

The latter would be the version Pfister releases.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Having played both viticulture and castles of burgundy a few times now I think that viticulture is just a straight up better game. It's faster, plays smoother, the theming is great and aids understanding and I think that the slightly simpler rules help most people come up with more coherent strategies rather than just making legal plays.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

pointsofdata posted:

Having played both viticulture and castles of burgundy a few times now I think that viticulture is just a straight up better game. It's faster, plays smoother, the theming is great and aids understanding and I think that the slightly simpler rules help most people come up with more coherent strategies rather than just making legal plays.

Those seem like very different games to compare as like things.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

They’re similar in that they’re both bland as hell and not worth playing.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I actually got to play the new castles of burgundy, I still like the game. More importantly, I got to try the trade routes, the expansion that gives you a bonus if you ship that color good in that order, and quite enjoyed that aspect. The timing felt a little Trajany.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Been trying out Tabletopia while my group is on Coronavirus lockdown its nice but I can't convince any of them to give it a shot.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

socialsecurity posted:

Been trying out Tabletopia while my group is on Coronavirus lockdown its nice but I can't convince any of them to give it a shot.

I just sent out the call to my group. Here's hoping they are more amenable to it. Board Game Arena is good too, if you haven't tried it. It's mildly less pretty but is not a physics toy, and has the rules and all that.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

They’re similar in that they’re both bland as hell and not worth playing.

Given only those choices, I would also choose Viticulture, as long as it used the Tuscany board.

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Just wanted to plug Trains if anyone is looking for a deckbuilder-with-a-map that's not Clank or Quest for El Dorado. It's not a surprise that you don't hear much about this game since the name is so bland and unsearchable, but the game is really interesting (and cheap!)

Some parts are familiar - we have Dominion-style Gold/Silver/Copper and victory cards (instead of provinces, you buy Apartments/Towers/etc.)

The map is a tight area-control affair, as you get points by getting your rail into cities and then building train stations on those cities (route-building scores zero points, not what you might think from the game's name, unless you get the Rising Sun expansion which adds route bonuses)

The mechanic that really spices it up is Waste. Whenever you lay rail or build a train station, you add a Waste to your discard pile - a card that literally does nothing. If you do so on a space your opponent occupies, you add another Waste. Since you'll place dozens of rails/stations throughout the game, this bloats your deck greatly. Unless - you invest in Landfills, which do nothing besides allow you to trash all Wastes currently in your hand. But now you have Landfills clogging your deck, which have no self-removal mechanism.

It's a game which is hard to get into because of so many downside mechanics, but if you're ok with a cut-throat, obstacle-laden experience, I enjoyed my first play quite a bit.

(Note: played with my wife under self-quarantine)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

I just sent out the call to my group. Here's hoping they are more amenable to it. Board Game Arena is good too, if you haven't tried it. It's mildly less pretty but is not a physics toy, and has the rules and all that.

BGA is getting absolutely swamped just now because of the number of new users signing up. Making my Terra Mystica games all slow!

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
After Season's 2 lukewarm reception, I realise Rob Daviau really wanted to think outside the box for the 3rd installment and hit it right out of the park, but this is something else...

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Those seem like very different games to compare as like things.

they are both worker placement games (some people seem to split hairs on this on bgg but imo castles plays a lot like one) where you build up a personal board to win VPs?

I've been trying to buy Dominion but it seems to be almost completely sold out in Europe, only overpriced italian and German versions of the base game are available. I had to order from the US in the end.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

hoiyes posted:

After Season's 2 lukewarm reception, I realise Rob Daviau really wanted to think outside the box for the 3rd installment and hit it right out of the park, but this is something else...

Do tell!? I've heard nothing at all at pls3, not even non spoiler stuff...

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
I'm assuming it's a Covid-19 joke.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Redundant posted:

I'm assuming it's a Covid-19 joke.

Oh, well, there you are then. It's not a very good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I can't believe I've missed Covids 1 through 18.