Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
lol, I never looked into it but had been kind of wondering who that guy was who has been standing behind Trump often lately, mean-mugging for cameras, constantly looking like an angry, pouting child whose mother just told him he can't have another cookie. It's Blanche, huh? lmao this dude's stupid face...

e: He's pulling a George Costanza where he thinks if he looks angry and frustrated all the time, people will think he's actually doing something productive, isn't he?

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

kazil posted:

We keep making GBS threads on his lawyers but have we considered that Trump is so loving guilty that he's impossible to defend?

For us looking at the trial, sure. But the job of the lawyer is to get the jury to vote not guilty and they are sell the case to the jury that Daniels and Cohen have the motive to lie and to create resonable doubt. They have a poo poo hand to play with in this case but only takes one person on the jury to vote not guilty (does this require a full unanimous verdict or can they convict on a majority 11-1? IN that case, two required) to win.

What doesnt make sense to us isnt necessarily wrong as we aint the audience the lawyers are playing to.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Hollismason posted:

I mean their basic argument is that Cohen is a big giant Liar and that Trump had no idea the check he was signing was for hush money

And given what we know of Trumps actual mental facilities... It could have happened... If not for the documents and audio saying otherwise.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
No idea why that would be

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

:lol::gas:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

gee I wonder why

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

Linn Wood was, at one point in his life, a respectable attorney

Yeah, not by that point though. He was representing racist little poo poo Nick Sandmann earlier that year and all of those lawsuits eventually got thrown out. Well, aside from CNN who stupidly paid a settlement.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I refuse to believe this is real

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

For us looking at the trial, sure. But the job of the lawyer is to get the jury to vote not guilty and they are sell the case to the jury that Daniels and Cohen have the motive to lie and to create resonable doubt. They have a poo poo hand to play with in this case but only takes one person on the jury to vote not guilty (does this require a full unanimous verdict or can they convict on a majority 11-1? IN that case, two required) to win.

What doesnt make sense to us isnt necessarily wrong as we aint the audience the lawyers are playing to.

Yeah, I've never really followed that, lie about what? That Cohen was secretly a great attorney engaged in hundreds of thousands of dollars in legitimate legal work for Trump pursuant to his retainer agreement? That Stormy hosed a gross old married man with a weird dick? The easy and clearcut way to discredit Cohen is produce all this expensive legal work he was doing for Trump.

No one is disputing that the checks are real and Trump signed them.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

I like seeing Maggie Haberman's twitter account getting absolutely lit up with nonstop vicious comments crapping on her and calling her out for being in Trump's pocket.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Why does everyone say everything :fart: smells around me?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

Had a storm last night and have no power so I have one bar of Internet on my phone. Can anyone please give me a tl;dr of today’s events? :tipshat:

Prosecution went line by line of Cohen's time at Trump org up until he left.

Defense cross examination is trying to sell the idea that Cohen is just a meany head who hates TRUMP!!!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

the thing is though the lawyers don't get to do that stuff in a vacuum - the judge gives the jury instructions at the end that clearly outline what the relevant facts to the case are and how to approach coming to a verdict. those instructions will very much include it not mattering whether stormy wants to see him in jail since she has no power over that except in being the primary motivation for trump to commit them, and that cohen is a huge liar but that also has no bearing on the material facts of the case but establishes that trump hires liars and criminals to do crimes and lie for him.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
how can trump be both in prison and whitehouse?

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Prosecution went line by line of Cohen's time at Trump org up until he left.

Defense cross examination is trying to sell the idea that Cohen is just a meany head who hates TRUMP!!!

I swear Trump will try to make not liking him a punishable crime if he wins the election.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

SilentChaz posted:

https://twitter.com/IanJaeger29/status/1790460705142882373

Rep. Anna Paulina Luna is leading a handful of GOP colleagues in a push to award a Congressional Gold Medal to former President Donald Trump.

quote:

Among the clauses in the resolution are “the greatest of President Trump’s foreign policy achievements was that no wars were started while he was in office.”

seems like an easy enough fact to verify on wikipedia...

quote:

2017: 2017 Shayrat missile strike: Tomahawk missiles launched from U.S. naval vessels in the Mediterranean hit a Syrian airbase in Homs Governorate in response to a chemical weapons attack against civilians south-west of Idlib. Seven were killed and nine wounded.
2018: missile strikes were launched by the U.S. and allies on military targets in Damascus and near Homs in response to the Douma chemical attack against civilians in April 2018.
2019: Operation Sentinel: U.S. Central Command was developing a multinational maritime effort to increase surveillance of and security in key waterways in the Middle East to ensure freedom of navigation.
2020: Response to attack on the U.S. embassy in Baghdad. The U.S. embassy in Baghdad came under siege on December 31, 2019, following U.S. retaliation for an attack by the pro-Iranian Kataeb Hezbollah in which four service members were wounded and one civilian contractor was killed. In response, Marines and aircraft were immediately dispatched from Kuwait for defense of the embassy and overwatch. On January 2, 2020, the U.S. launched an airstrike on a convoy, killing Iranian Quds Force Major-General Qasem Soleimani and Iraqi militia leader Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis. An additional 4,000 U.S. troops were mobilized to the region, including some 750 from the 82nd Airborne Division. In an annual report released by the Pentagon on May 6, 2020, it cited that approximately 132 civilians have been killed in 2019 as part of US military operations in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia and Syria. The Department of Defense (DoD) added that no civilian casualties were reported under the US military operations in Libya and Yemen civil wars respectively.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

seems like an easy enough fact to verify on wikipedia...
ah but he didn't declare war (one easy trick us presidents love)

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Lol that it's been almost 10 years of Trump and republicans literally can't find someone more qualified yet.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Trump constantly complaining about the temperature of the courtroom

ITS SWO COOOLDDD IN THWERE

loving milk baby lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Ghostlight posted:

the thing is though the lawyers don't get to do that stuff in a vacuum - the judge gives the jury instructions at the end that clearly outline what the relevant facts to the case are and how to approach coming to a verdict. those instructions will very much include it not mattering whether stormy wants to see him in jail since she has no power over that except in being the primary motivation for trump to commit them, and that cohen is a huge liar but that also has no bearing on the material facts of the case but establishes that trump hires liars and criminals to do crimes and lie for him.

There is a thing most people who have never heard a serious legal case as a juror fundamentally don't seem to understand that I think might sink Trump, even with a sympathetic juror or two.

Juries don't decided if people committed a crime, they decide if a person did something. It sound a bit like a distinction without a difference, but it isn't when you get sent off to deliberate. The jurors aren't going to be asked if they think Trump is guilty, they are going to be asked if the checks were for a legitimate retainer agreement for an attorney, or they were being used to reimburse an attorney for a hush-money payment and if Trump knew the difference. It's much, much, much harder to look a person in the eye that you have gone through days and weeks of poo poo for and tell them with a straight face that Trump was actually paying his scumbag attorney for legitimate legal work.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Professor Shark posted:

loving milk baby lol

uh yeah, New York calls it Da Icebox for a reason

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Maryland: Alsobrooks vs Trone is going to be really close

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

didn't trump imply that he was the king of the jews after he moved the embassy? i know roger from american dad also said that, i swear trump said something along those lines too

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

kazil posted:

uh yeah, New York calls it Da Icebox for a reason

Apparently all New Yorkers have called courtrooms “da icebox” for decades

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

Linn Wood was, at one point in his life, a respectable attorney

I can't find a good copy of it now but do you guys remember when Lin Wood posted a pictorial tour of an empty white house, searching everywhere for Biden before finally discovering Trump back in the oval office? Such a dignified and not at all deranged exercise in fantasy.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Blanche is actually a really good attorney; in the sense that he’s a former prosecutor with decades of experience and was a partner at one of the most respected law firms in the world. He actually had to resign and start his own firm to take on Trump as a client here (because Trump is the worst client of all time: he lies to his own attorneys, he wants them to break their ethical record obligations, and he won’t pay them). Blanche has been doing stupid stuff in the courtroom, but he hasn’t been violating his ethical obligations, he’s been sticking to the facts, and (presumably) he’s been paid in advance.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

loving milk baby lol

I got a paper route in Wisconsin when I was 11. I had to deal with 100+ degree temps and -40 degree temps, there. What I did was learn to dress appropriately for the conditions and temperature that I'd be subjecting myself to.

I was 11 and figured this out, DONALD. Get your poo poo together. Little kids can run circles around you regarding understanding how clothing works.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

kazil posted:

lmao ok well this will be entertaining

I really hope this gets recorded in law textbooks as an amazing way to start off a cross examination. Really a great reminder that everyone involved here are tremendous assholes, the absolute worst people, and richly deserve every minute they're forced to spend together.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The hell's the point of wearing a wool jacket all day every day if it can't keep you warm

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Data Graham posted:

The hell's the point of wearing a wool jacket all day every day if it can't keep you warm

do you want to be seen at a baseball game in a t-shirt!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
My understanding is that Trump wears suits made of silk (because it is the most expensive fabric, the therefore the best) despite it being a bad choice for his body shape (it flows in ways that emphasize his fatness and sunken shoulders, which a suit made of material with more body would let his tailor do some work to hide that). Silk also doesn't hold heat in very well. So Trump is in there shivering because he refuses to wear a suit jacket made of something warmer.

He's never had to deal with this before because for his entire life any time he felt uncomfortable he could yell at someone to make the discomfort go away (and they'd scramble to do it) or he'd just get up and leave. He can't do either right now, and it's loving him up.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I always assumed that Trump wears cotton suits based on the way it wrinkles all over on hot days from his disgusting sweaty fat body lumps

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Donald "TRUMP": dresses fatly

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://x.com/ryanjreilly/status/1790546982538244528?s=61&t=-vp9P7i8Kl2W3uKiLPEWrA

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

lol he's getting schlonged by like 30 points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Now that's a fuckin' lol