Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

swanage posted:

I've driven by their place before but never stopped in I think I will go check them out some time.

Forgot you were the other Baltimoron for a sec ;) It's small but they have a lot of gear and are supposively down on stock until spring. The owners are nice though and they seem willing to work with prices, and they do the cheapest tire changes that I've found around so far ($20 off bike).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

teknicolor posted:

So I see heel, ankle, and upper shin support, is that all its got? What about inside ankle, or lower shin? It's a big boot, so I would hope more of the leg would be protected. And is there any room up top for people with big calves? How adjustable is it?

The Sidi Saber boots have heel, ankle, achilles, upper shin, and toe protection. They are by no means a fully hard plastic armored boot. That doesn't mean they won't save some broken bones. I think the general idea is that having the leg tightly wrapped up limits the amount it can move in the wrong direction and also spreads out the forces of impact. I doubt you'll find very many people in MX boots who have bones sticking out of their legs.

The main reason, besides the fact I like high boots, that I bought the Sabers is because I have large calfs. I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs off of Mapless a while back (thanks by the way, gave them to my brother as he's starting to ride) and while they 'fit' the zippers pissed me off and the calf wouldn't adjust big enough to fit in them. The Sabers have very adjustable buckles and no foo-foo zippers. Each buckle can be tailored to fit that area and they just plain fit and work great. I recommend trying some on and seeing how you like them.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo

Terminus Est posted:

The main reason, besides the fact I like high boots, that I bought the Sabers is because I have large calfs. I bought a pair of Sidi Vertigo Airs off of Mapless a while back (thanks by the way, gave them to my brother as he's starting to ride) and while they 'fit' the zippers pissed me off and the calf wouldn't adjust big enough to fit in them. The Sabers have very adjustable buckles and no foo-foo zippers. Each buckle can be tailored to fit that area and they just plain fit and work great. I recommend trying some on and seeing how you like them.

That's great news. I have big calves too, so I am relieved, and will try some on asap. :)

iroc_dis
May 11, 2006

swanage posted:

I've driven by their place before but never stopped in I think I will go check them out some time.

I'm mildly local to them as well (Northern VA) so I ordered my 1pc MotoGP suit from them. Really cool guys. They helped me a ton with getting the sizing right. Very prompt service as well.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
I just want to third the non-race boots for road riding. I wore my way through a pair of A* SMX's, which I thought were truly great ... until I replaced them with these:

http://www.alpinestars.com/Vector_Boot/pd/np/112/p/20802.html

Alpinestar Vectors. They're both incredibly comfortable and incredibly mean. I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't go on a killing spree whilst wearing them just because.

Revenant.Eagle
Oct 4, 2005

I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said, but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

Infinotize posted:

There are no air vents but I wouldn't really call them insulated either, although there is a ton of padding throughout the glove. It's been warm the past 2 days here so not sure how they stack up in the cold but they definitely aren't a winter glove. Kinda like an all purpose track glove I guess.

I got them from https://www.motonekoparts.com , which is conveniently located about 15 min from me.

Sree @ motoneko is a cool guy. Very helpful with ordering stuff. He got me fitted into my first 2-piece/first piece of gear perfectly :)

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

All this talk about boots made me seriously consider getting these: http://www.newenough.com/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/sidi/scorpion_air_motorcycle_boots.html

They have a good review on the site, and pretty much everywhere else, so what do you guys think? Anybody have a pair of these, or something similar?

free bowl of soup fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 6, 2008

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ I prefer a taller boot with shin protection.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

bung posted:

^^^ I prefer a taller boot with shin protection.
How about something like this? http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/boots/oxtar/ss_performance_2_motorcycle_racing_boots.html

My main worry is comfort, since I ride pretty much everywhere. I imagine that they're very comfortable while riding, but what about walking around? Can I wear a pair of boots like this all day long, or at least, half a day?

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

I have these and having only worn them once and I would say they could be comfortable enough to wear IF you get some sort of insole replacement--the bottoms are flat and hard but were pretty comfortable otherwise.

free bowl of soup
Jan 14, 2004

ChiliMac posted:

I have these and having only worn them once and I would say they could be comfortable enough to wear IF you get some sort of insole replacement--the bottoms are flat and hard but were pretty comfortable otherwise.
OK great. I usually wear insoles anyway because I have flat feet, so these should work perfect.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Is this kind of stuff effective at reducing fog? My RF-1000 fogs up at stops. At night it's bad enough that I have to open the visor a notch, which makes it a bit chilly at speed.

How about balaclavas? I put one on at the army surplus store, but it made my glasses fog up instantly. Maybe a tighter or looser one would have worked better?

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

Zenaida posted:

My RF-1000 fogs up at stops.

I have about seven hundred anti-fog sprays, gels and wipes, and there are only two anti-fog options I've seen work; the Pinlock system (which I own and highly recommend), and the Fog City Hyper Optiks visor insert. The Fog City inserts are also available with the photosensitive darkening material. Pinlock makes predrilled visors for Shoei helmets, so if you go that direction life is easy for you.

I haven't found anything that works more than a few minutes to keep glasses from fogging while wearing my Buff in the winter.

Antifederalist
Jan 16, 2006
Hardcore like Charles Bronson
I got a bag at the store yesterday!

I wonder what's inside?

Why it's a new Knox Stowaway Spineguard!

I pulled out the back padding in my riding jacket last week(a Tourmaster Flex which I actually really like) and found that this was the only thing protecting my spine:

Not only does it feel like pretty cheap foam, as near as I could tell it isn't CE rated at all, and it looks disconcertingly like a wiener.

That was old and busted, this is new hotness:

PI/AI CROSSOVER!

Sorry, no doggles.

So I got the Knox Stowaway Spineguard for $50 on closeout from the local bike gear shop (http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydir...REET%20PRODUCTS - awful site, awful commercials, pretty good prices, really nice store). I have yet to actually ride with it on, as I need to pull and clean the carbs on my GS500 and we just got about a foot of snow today, but I've worn it for a couple hours around the house and walking around the neighborhood and so far I'm pretty impressed.
I'm a pretty skinny dude (6' and 165 lbs), with a long torso, so I ended up getting the large. It's definitely made for someone with a bit more gut than I, but the waist strap is adjustable on the sides and across the belly, and with a bit of work it fits quite well. The store also had the Joe Rocket back protector ( http://www.newenough.com/armor/back_protector_worn_on_the_body/joe_rocket/speedmaster_motorcycle_back_protector.html ), but I had a hard time getting it to fit snugly.
It fits under my jacket pretty well even with the insulated liner, though the bottom might peek out a bit when riding if you don't zip your jacket into your pants. That's probably a motorcycle fashion faux pas.

My biggest complaint so far is that the wait belt rides up a bit when I'm standing around, which is kinda annoying and I have a feeling it might be worse when riding.

I Dream of Tetris
Oct 11, 2007
Sorry for not wanting to go through 25 pages to look for information about this, but what does everyone think of helmet speakers? And if you use helmet speakers, what is your setup like?

I ask because although I am a fairly new rider, at some point in the future I would like to take longer trips. As much as I love riding and enjoying the road distraction free, I sometimes find myself wanting a little bit of entertainment. I have a bad habit of getting really mediocre or just plain awful songs stuck in my head while riding. As I live in a state with no restriction on helmet speakers, I was thinking that at some point I would get speakers so I can listen to music.

Are helmet speakers an awful idea? I wasn't planning on blasting my ear drums out with them, maybe just some "quiet" music playing in the background while I ride. So, opinions?

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Obvious Paranoia posted:

Are helmet speakers an awful idea? I wasn't planning on blasting my ear drums out with them, maybe just some "quiet" music playing in the background while I ride. So, opinions?

The wind noise inside a helmet is substantial, ~90dB depending on your helmet. I haven't actually tried speakers, but I think you'd be blasting your ear drums just trying to hear poo poo.

Sound isolating earbuds work pretty well, though it's a bitch to keep them in while you put the helmet on.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Antifederalist posted:

PI/AI CROSSOVER!

Sorry, no doggles.

You must have the most patient and well trained dog in the world because my family dog would've started chewing on the back armor if I tried strapping it to her.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Obvious Paranoia posted:

Sorry for not wanting to go through 25 pages to look for information about this, but what does everyone think of helmet speakers? And if you use helmet speakers, what is your setup like?

I ask because although I am a fairly new rider, at some point in the future I would like to take longer trips. As much as I love riding and enjoying the road distraction free, I sometimes find myself wanting a little bit of entertainment. I have a bad habit of getting really mediocre or just plain awful songs stuck in my head while riding. As I live in a state with no restriction on helmet speakers, I was thinking that at some point I would get speakers so I can listen to music.

I've been down your road, and I actually made some 'speakers' out of larger headphones (velcro'd them in my helmet) and well.. while I could hear the music, it was quite faint, and I found myself trying to adjust them while riding. I quickly realized this was a great way to end up off into the woods, so I succumbed to the suggestions in the thread, and used my in-ear headphones.

These are the ones that I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-Black/dp/B000BQSGMM/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204998022&sr=8-1

Etymotic Research ER-6i in ear monitors (they work fine powered by an iPod, so no headphone amp is necessary). Apart from being fantastic headphones for when you aren't riding (they don't have a ton of bass though, everyone calls them "accurate"), the strength is that they offer superior noise blocking. This allows you to 1) save your hearing from wind noise (which is harmful in the long run) and 2) allow you to not have to listen to the music too loudly, so you can still somewhat hear your surroundings.

I'd still recommend using ear plugs for a couple hours before listening to music, so you get used to using your eyes more and your ears a little less. Don't get me wrong, you can still hear your surroundings, they're just muted, so you have to trust your eyes more, and be more aware of your surroundings.

edit: Oh, the trick to getting them in under your helmet is to get them in there nice and firmly, and then pull the straps outward on your helmet as you put it on, and put it on slowly. They should stay put if you have a good seal.

Fantastipotamus fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 8, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Fantastipotamus posted:

I've been down your road, and I actually made some 'speakers' out of larger headphones (velcro'd them in my helmet) and well.. while I could hear the music, it was quite faint, and I found myself trying to adjust them while riding. I quickly realized this was a great way to end up off into the woods, so I succumbed to the suggestions in the thread, and used my in-ear headphones.

These are the ones that I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-Isolator-Earphones-Black/dp/B000BQSGMM/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1204998022&sr=8-1

Etymotic Research ER-6i in ear monitors (they work fine powered by an iPod, so no headphone amp is necessary). Apart from being fantastic headphones for when you aren't riding (they don't have a ton of bass though, everyone calls them "accurate"), the strength is that they offer superior noise blocking. This allows you to 1) save your hearing from wind noise (which is harmful in the long run) and 2) allow you to not have to listen to the music too loudly, so you can still somewhat hear your surroundings.

I'd still recommend using ear plugs for a couple hours before listening to music, so you get used to using your eyes more and your ears a little less. Don't get me wrong, you can still hear your surroundings, they're just muted, so you have to trust your eyes more, and be more aware of your surroundings.

edit: Oh, the trick to getting them in under your helmet is to get them in there nice and firmly, and then pull the straps outward on your helmet as you put it on, and put it on slowly. They should stay put if you have a good seal.

I have a set of these as well and just want to say they are absolutely worth the money. A great solution with combined earpluggy goodness and music.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I am also looking at getting the ER6i headphones because my X11 doesn't get along with my E2cs. Would someone who owns the ER6is be so kind as to post s picture of them next to a quarter or something so I can get an idea of size? There are no local Etymotic dealers in my area.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

bung posted:

I am also looking at getting the ER6i headphones because my X11 doesn't get along with my E2cs. Would someone who owns the ER6is be so kind as to post s picture of them next to a quarter or something so I can get an idea of size? There are no local Etymotic dealers in my area.

Sure thing.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

^^^ Thank you kind sir!

mhsneon
Jul 2, 2005

I work for Intel but AMD makes me hot
I went to the BMW dealer today and ordered a pair of the Olympia Mesh overpants. I have looked at them a few times over the last couple months and had a friend who picked up a pair and really likes them, they seems to be good for weather down into the high 20's and hopefully without the liner will be decent into the 90's.
I also tried on the mesh jacket that Olympia makes, I was very impressed, it has lots of adjustments, you can crank the armor down on the elbows and bring the sides in. I am considering ordering one. The local police department is purchasing the same model and they seem to be happy with it as well. I was going to purchase a leather jacket, since I already have a textile Tourmaster jacket.
Anyone here have the pants or jacket, and how do you like them? Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Over Pant and the Airglide Jacket.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

mhsneon posted:

I went to the BMW dealer today and ordered a pair of the Olympia Mesh overpants. I have looked at them a few times over the last couple months and had a friend who picked up a pair and really likes them, they seems to be good for weather down into the high 20's and hopefully without the liner will be decent into the 90's.
I also tried on the mesh jacket that Olympia makes, I was very impressed, it has lots of adjustments, you can crank the armor down on the elbows and bring the sides in. I am considering ordering one. The local police department is purchasing the same model and they seem to be happy with it as well. I was going to purchase a leather jacket, since I already have a textile Tourmaster jacket.
Anyone here have the pants or jacket, and how do you like them? Airglide 2 Mesh Tech Over Pant and the Airglide Jacket.

I have this thing: http://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm which generated some discussion of Olympia gear a couple pages back. (p. 23 with standard settings, if I'm not mistaken)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

mhsneon posted:

Honestly, I'd pop over to ADVrider and do a search for Olympia Airglide.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Thought i'd pop in here and offer you guys my last set of leathers. The for sale section doesn't seem to get much use. Joe rocket speedmaster suit, in good shape with the exception of very minor scuffs on the left arm from a 5-10mph lowside. Besides that it's a little worn from about 30k miles worth of use, but in great shape otherwise. Perforated across the entire front.

200$ + shipping, it's a size 44.

Don't have any pictures of the suit on it's own, but here's me at the track in it. Doesn't have sliders on it at the moment but i could probably dig up a pair that's still got something left on them if you really want them :)

Edit: Or gently caress, you could just look at my avy, i suppose. :hurr:

Z3n fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 10, 2008

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Z3n posted:

Thought i'd pop in here and offer you guys my last set of leathers. The for sale section doesn't seem to get much use. Joe rocket speedmaster suit, in good shape with the exception of very minor scuffs on the left arm from a 5-10mph lowside. Besides that it's a little worn from about 30k miles worth of use, but in great shape otherwise. Perforated across the entire front.

200$ + shipping, it's a size 44.

Don't have any pictures of the suit on it's own, but here's me at the track in it. Doesn't have sliders on it at the moment but i could probably dig up a pair that's still got something left on them if you really want them :)

Edit: Or gently caress, you could just look at my avy, i suppose. :hurr:

If its not sold yet, how big are you? I'm 5'10" 145lbs and might be interested if you think it would fit.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

If its not sold yet, how big are you? I'm 5'10" 145lbs and might be interested if you think it would fit.

I'm 5'10-11 but around 165 pounds and it's big on me. I have pretty broad shoulders so it fits nicely there but i was pretty much swimming everywhere else.

OMGWTFWALLHACK
Jan 28, 2004

Hated by the internet.

Is is 44 the chest or the waist measurement?

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate

mhsneon posted:

I've been riding with a pair of the olympia airglide 2 mech tech overpants for the past few weeks now, and love them. They are very warm still below 30 just because they block so much wind. They are also cut much better than the firstgear air 2.0's I had. Those pants were really baggy in places that didn't even help, were not tapered well, and they rode up too high when I was sitting on the bike with just my 32" inseam. They weren't built for a riding position. The airglides are much more slim fitting than the firstgears, and actually look more like riding pants rather than snowboard pants. They also have about a 33" inseam or so that fits me just perfectly when I'm on the bike. And if you're too short, the bottoms are made to hem very easily. The armor in the knees is also adjustable. Without the liners, the pants fold up pretty tightly, with the liners they are kinda bulky.

The only things I don't like is that with the bottom being easy hem, the zipper doesn't go all the way down. It stops about 4" from the bottom of the leg, and then there is just velcro holding the pants together. There isn't a belt or anything included. And most annoyingly, there's no way to get inside your pants without unbuttoning them and pulling them down. A lot of overpants have another zipper at the top so that you can zip it down and reach inside to get to a pocket or something on your jeans or whatever you're wearing underneath. These don't.

That aside, I love them. My firstgear air 2.0's are poo poo compared to these olympias. In fact, when I went down at about 30-35 mph, the side zipper on the firstgears exploded and busted open. If you're short and stubby though, the first gears might fit better, and the liner in those was less bulky than the olympias.

Jolci fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 12, 2008

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

OMGWTFWALLHACK posted:

Is is 44 the chest or the waist measurement?

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_racing_suits/joe_rocket/speedmaster_5_one_piece_motorcycle_suit.html

It's the chest measurement.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
I'm taking my MSF course May 9, 10, 11, so I'm preemptively buying some basic gear. Since the course I'm taking is free, I figured it can't hurt to get some now and get a bike later...right? So far, I've purchased the following:
Jacket
Helmet
Gloves
I'm going to pick up a pair of overpants and some boots after the course (assuming I pass). Would I be sufficiently prepared by assuming a pair of Docs and some Dickies should be okay for the MSF course?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yeah, that should be okay. If you get above 25 mph in your MSF course, I'd be surprised. Most of your time will be spent at very low speeds.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

laymil posted:

I'm taking my MSF course May 9, 10, 11, so I'm preemptively buying some basic gear. Since the course I'm taking is free, I figured it can't hurt to get some now and get a bike later...right? So far, I've purchased the following:
Jacket
Helmet
Gloves
I'm going to pick up a pair of overpants and some boots after the course (assuming I pass). Would I be sufficiently prepared by assuming a pair of Docs and some Dickies should be okay for the MSF course?

All they required for my MSF course was jeans, long-sleeve shirt, and shoes over the ankles. I wore some cheap hightops I bought for $20 for the occasion. If it's anything like my course most of your time will be spent sitting on the bike, so I really wouldn't worry much about gear. Dickies and Docs would be fine, although one of my instructors seemed really bent on denim.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

laymil posted:

Jacket
Helmet
Gloves

Wow, for only $40 I might just buy that jacket for the hell of it. Could use a textile jacket for those really warm days around town.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
What do you guys think about https://www.leatherup.com
I'm going to be getting my first bike in the summer, this site seems to have inexpensive gear. Is this a 'you get what you pay for' type site, or is the gear quality?

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004

wescreweleven posted:

What do you guys think about https://www.leatherup.com
I'm going to be getting my first bike in the summer, this site seems to have inexpensive gear. Is this a 'you get what you pay for' type site, or is the gear quality?

I've seen some awfully posed models in motorcycle gear before, but I think this takes the cake:

That said, if you can bear the stigma of giving money to a site with that on it, it looks like there might be a few pieces of halfway decent gear available. It can be hard to trust no-brand stuff like this though.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
I just got these Sidi Sabers from RockyMoto (which I learned was formerly NewEnoughMotocross):

Terminus wasn't kidding when he said these things make your legs feel like tanks. They're positively awesome, although I am a tad bit afraid of taking the MSF in them since they aren't very flexible around the ankle. I'm hoping that walking around in them will loosen things up a bit before I take the MSF in the beginning of April. Or, at least I believe I'm taking it then because the guy in charge of our local MSF still hasn't contacted me about the date I'm registered for the course. :argh: I got the chance to sit on an SV650 over the weekend and I found that the previous owner had the brake and shifter set up at a really weird angle that I had trouble getting my street shoes around, so I'm hoping that the MSF bikes are set up better than that.

I can't say enough about NewEnough and RockyMoto. They're absolutely unbeatable in customer service, and I highly suggest anyone who wants to buy motorcycle related stuff give them serious consideration. I had to send back a oversized jacket to NewEnough (I did a lovely job estimating how big I am) and these boots back to RockyMoto (again my lovely measurments) and both times they were really quick on getting the new stuff back to me.

Zenaida
Nov 13, 2004
Hackaday posted an article of interest to motorcyclists: http://www.hackaday.com/2008/03/31/diy-heated-vest-clothing/

Seems a bit scary, but doable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I really do not think it is worth it to get gear just to take the MSF. By the time you're doing anything where any amount of motorcycle gear is going to be relevant you'll have been drilled out the wazoo and will be in a good mental state. You're going to be spending all that money without knowing if motorcycling is right for you (it probably is, but some people just can't get the hang of it), and there is no requirement for motorcycle gear.

If you own gloves, long pants, a long sleeve shirt and over ankle boots you will be more than fine and anything else you do is overkill for an activity you might never want to take up.

The gear will still be there when you graduate and need to get a motorcycle NOW NOW NOW! I am definitely in favor of riding atgatt on the street, but for the course its really overkill.

Ripoff in particular I would not wear those boots to the MSF since the unfamiliar act of riding a motorcycle combined with how much those boots will restrict your ankles is probably going to do you far more harm in learning than any amount of protection they'll afford you beyond a high top shoe in a very unlikely 25mph spill.