Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I'd recommend fluxxbb or something over mybb, it's pretty terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Namecheap for the domain and Lithium Hosting for the website would be my suggestion. I'm using both right now and am happy.

Keep your domain and host separate. This makes it very easy to switch hosts if they suddenly go to poo poo or whatever - just make sure to keep backups of your website for that reason and many others.

Lithium hosting is cheap (but good) so it's a good way to get started. They also have 11-12 different forums software packages that can be installed with a few clicks (including fluxxbb & mybb).

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Interesting. I just picked MyBB because a lot of people seem to be switching to it over phpBB, but I'll check FluxBB out, thanks.

And I've been looking at Lithium with Namecheap funnily enough, seeming like my most likely option. Cheers.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

tomm posted:

Interesting. I just picked MyBB because a lot of people seem to be switching to it over phpBB, but I'll check FluxBB out, thanks.

And I've been looking at Lithium with Namecheap funnily enough, seeming like my most likely option. Cheers.

The MyBB community in general is pretty lovely, and most addons "released for free" add three lines of links to your footer and are questionable and I've seen some that use base64_decode(gzinflate( type bullshit to add spam to the bottom of each post.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

my $60/yr VPS is awesome

too bad I've gone through 660GB of bandwidth in ten hours since that's most of my quota

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Seedbox?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

my $60/yr VPS is awesome

too bad I've gone through 660GB of bandwidth in ten hours since that's most of my quota

What provider is that from? what do you get, 1TB of traffic a month or less like 800GB?

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Seedbox?
posted a 10MB gif on reddit

Bob Morales posted:

What provider is that from? what do you get, 1TB of traffic a month or less like 800GB?
QuickWeb, but they no longer have prices that low. I got this price right when they were launching their US servers. I've got 1TB of traffic and usually don't really use any of it.

Went through something like 940GB in a bit more than a day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

posted a 10MB gif on reddit
QuickWeb, but they no longer have prices that low. I got this price right when they were launching their US servers. I've got 1TB of traffic and usually don't really use any of it.

Went through something like 940GB in a bit more than a day.

Their 512MB/25GB/500GB plan for $9.95 doesn't look bad, especially if you can sustain 20mb/sec on it. How is the disk/cpu performance?

http://www.quickweb.co.nz/supa-vps-plans.html

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Their 512MB/25GB/500GB plan for $9.95 doesn't look bad, especially if you can sustain 20mb/sec on it. How is the disk/cpu performance?

http://www.quickweb.co.nz/supa-vps-plans.html
I would have had a higher sustained speed, but it was at 1.00 load (being served over https). So that's the CPU perf.

Not sure about the disk/cpu other than that and can't test until I can figure out where the new recovery console is since SSH no longer starts on boot :suicide:

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?
Any suggestions on a low-end VPS for a site pulling in 30~80gb of web page traffic a month? I'd prefer something that is stable, but not all together overly pricey.

Edit: Researching into it, I have a huge headache from the sheer number of options, which wouldn't normally be the case but I need something that won't disappear tomorrow vs. the cheapest thing out there for some crazy game server.

Yuriki fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Nov 7, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
linode no other choice

Yuriki
Mar 27, 2004

Who the hell do you think I am?

Biowarfare posted:

linode no other choice

Thanks, seems to be the general consensuses, getting me one here soon.

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
I'm with Lithium hosting and very pleased. I'm just wondering how it is that HostGator's hatchling plan is still around 5x ($10 vs. $53.40 WITH discount applied) the annual cost of the Lithium Hosting simple plan. Is it just the "unlimited" storage and bandwidth HostGator offers?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have a a growing website (b2b) that's based on a rather complex platform. It needs MSSQL, ASP, as well as PHP/MySQL. It's a worpdress content site with a set of reports powered by MSSQL and ASP with Report Control. We also handle authentication via ASP (custom wordpress plugin) so everything needs to talk.

Does anybody know of a good managed host that can offer a dedicated box for MSSQL, and a managed vps for wordpress? The major issue I'm running into is most dedicated boxes only offer SATA, which won't be fast enough for MSSQL. I'm hoping to find a windows provider that will offer SSD's, but not much luck.

Has anybody heard of a company that does this type of blended hosting?

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 29, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EoRaptor posted:

I have a a growing website (b2b) that's based on a rather complex platform. It needs MSSQL, ASP, as well as PHP/MySQL. It's a worpdress content site with a set of reports powered by MSSQL and ASP with Report Control. We also handle authentication via ASP (custom wordpress plugin) so everything needs to talk.

Does anybody know of a good managed host that can offer a dedicated box for MSSQL, and a managed vps for wordpress? The major issue I'm running into is most dedicated boxes only offer SATA, which won't be fast enough for MSSQL. I'm hoping to find a windows provider that will offer SSD's, but not much luck.

Has anybody heard of a company that does this type of blended hosting?

How big is your DB? We run ours on SATA drives, RAID 5 of 4 disks for the DB and mirror of 2 disks for the web apps (stupid but I didn't set it up). Rackspace gives us a dual-quad Xeon with VMware on it so we can add or remove VM's as we need them (Private Cloud)

You can always add enough RAM to fit your DB in memory.

ichorclaw
Oct 31, 2010

by Fistgrrl

ichorclaw fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 29, 2013

Bodhi Tea
Oct 2, 2006

seconds are secular, moments are mine, self is illusion, music's divine.
Is there a windows VPS provider with quality similar to Linode?

auruspex
Oct 17, 2005

Bodhi Tea posted:

Is there a windows VPS provider with quality similar to Linode?

Totally whoring out my company:

http://www.hostdime.com/web-hosting/vps/windows/

If interested, PM me and I can toss you a coup for some discount of sorts

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I bought a 512MB Linux VPS from https://www.tailoredvps.com and it's been great so far. It was a little under $7/month

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I have a small website run on shared hosting, hosted by a US company. If SOPA becomes law in the US, how important would it be (if at all) to obtain new hosting outside the US? (The site is not focused on copyright-infringing activity, but users can post messages, which could infringe copyright and hence risk getting the site shut down.)

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Hammerite posted:

I have a small website run on shared hosting, hosted by a US company. If SOPA becomes law in the US, how important would it be (if at all) to obtain new hosting outside the US? (The site is not focused on copyright-infringing activity, but users can post messages, which could infringe copyright and hence risk getting the site shut down.)

What would these messages contain that would put you at risk of getting shut down under SOPA? If you aren't running a piracy site, or a fake Wellsfargo.com site, you aren't likely going to have issues. But even with the DMCA, if someone just claims to own the copyright to an image you have on your site, it can get you shut down instantly because as a web host, its easier to say "tough poo poo" and remove the content than it is to fight a DMCA request / order. At least with SOPA, it generally requires a court order before any action is taken. If it's people talking via online chat or message board, I would think Freedom of Speech should play a role in that, although I can't say for certain.

How would SOPA work?
It allows the U.S. attorney general to seek a court order against the targeted offshore Web site that would, in turn, be served on Internet providers in an effort to make the target virtually disappear. It's kind of an Internet death penalty.

More specifically, section 102 of SOPA says that, after being served with a removal order:

quote:

A service provider shall take technically feasible and reasonable measures designed to prevent access by its subscribers located within the United States to the foreign infringing site (or portion thereof) that is subject to the order...Such actions shall be taken as expeditiously as possible, but in any case within five days after being served with a copy of the order, or within such time as the court may order.
*shamelessly copied and pasted :)
SOPA - Not as scary as it sounds!

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 6, 2011

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
There is speculation in some quarters that rights-holders might take a scattershot approach to demanding sites be taken down. Whether they are likely to do that more with their new powers than they have under the DMCA is not something I can judge.

As for what people might post, how do I know! I'm sure if they posted, say, song lyrics or something, that might qualify.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Hammerite posted:

There is speculation in some quarters that rights-holders might take a scattershot approach to demanding sites be taken down. Whether they are likely to do that more with their new powers than they have under the DMCA is not something I can judge.

As for what people might post, how do I know! I'm sure if they posted, say, song lyrics or something, that might qualify.
I guess we'll all just have to see if this passes, and if it does how it applies to our situations. I'll have to worry more since I'll be the one sending out notices and shutting down sites. It's bad enough with DMCA complaints and malware / fraud / phishing sites. Either way, if you are able to remove the offending content, your site won't get shutdown. They seem to really only want to target the sites that actually contribute to the distribution of pirated material.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Quick question, does anyone here have any experience integrating google apps with an existing webhost and domain?
I'm not talking about transferring a website or domain to google, I just want the mail hosted on google and the website on the current host. Is this even possible? I'm not well versed when it comes to webhosts and emails and all that jazz.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Isn't SOPA largely about targeting overseas hosting? I think it won't really matter if you switch to non-US hosting or not.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-

organburner posted:

Quick question, does anyone here have any experience integrating google apps with an existing webhost and domain?
I'm not talking about transferring a website or domain to google, I just want the mail hosted on google and the website on the current host. Is this even possible? I'm not well versed when it comes to webhosts and emails and all that jazz.

If you mean having something like this:
  • All mail to yourdomain.com goes through Google Apps
  • mail.yourdomain.com goes to Google Apps webmail (optional)
  • yourdomain.com or www.yourdomain.com goes to your website
then yes, this is fairly trivial. You will need to know who does DNS for your domain though (the company that controls your domain's nameservers).

The basic part, setting up your domain so mail goes through Google Apps, requires changing or adding MX records. Google has pretty good documentation for this and even has a list of popular DNS providers and how to set up mail delivery with them.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

zachol posted:

Isn't SOPA largely about targeting overseas hosting? I think it won't really matter if you switch to non-US hosting or not.

It's basically a mandatory "great firewall of US" with very harsh penalties for anyone that assists in circumvention.

It doesn't actually result in an offshore host losing data on the server/affecting the offshore host. Unless all of your users are out/in of the US.

Impotence fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 7, 2011

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I registered a domain name last night (through Go Daddy which apparently wasn't the best idea) and I need somewhere to host it. I'm looking at basic hosting with Lithium as the price looks so reasonable - I don't want to spend much yet as I don't know what the hell I'm doing! :ohdear: I'm looking at Joomla to build it as it's supposed to be quite simple and I'm quite confused. I wish I hadn't agreed to do this, everyone thinks because I did a couple of terms of CS at uni I can obviously build great websites! :downs: It seems silly to keep turning people down so I'm jumping in and giving it a go.
Anyway, because of the nature of the intended site I anticipate a fair bit of traffic, at least at first, so will this set up be ok to start with? Any advice, help or hand-holding would be much appreciated!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Anaxite posted:

If you mean having something like this:
  • All mail to yourdomain.com goes through Google Apps
  • mail.yourdomain.com goes to Google Apps webmail (optional)
  • yourdomain.com or https://www.yourdomain.com goes to your website
then yes, this is fairly trivial. You will need to know who does DNS for your domain though (the company that controls your domain's nameservers).

The basic part, setting up your domain so mail goes through Google Apps, requires changing or adding MX records. Google has pretty good documentation for this and even has a list of popular DNS providers and how to set up mail delivery with them.

Thanks, this is very helpful!

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

zachol posted:

I was under the impression that US-based websites could be taken down in their entirety while sites hosted outside the US could become inaccessible through DNS, which isn't the same thing as being taken down.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

pants cat posted:

I registered a domain name last night (through Go Daddy which apparently wasn't the best idea) and I need somewhere to host it. I'm looking at basic hosting with Lithium as the price looks so reasonable - I don't want to spend much yet as I don't know what the hell I'm doing! :ohdear: I'm looking at Joomla to build it as it's supposed to be quite simple and I'm quite confused. I wish I hadn't agreed to do this, everyone thinks because I did a couple of terms of CS at uni I can obviously build great websites! :downs: It seems silly to keep turning people down so I'm jumping in and giving it a go.
Anyway, because of the nature of the intended site I anticipate a fair bit of traffic, at least at first, so will this set up be ok to start with? Any advice, help or hand-holding would be much appreciated!

Lithium Hosting's cheapest package is $10 for the whole year. Even if they turn out to be awful (they aren't, I'm using them now and am happy) you're not out much.

Unless you're going to be hosting videos or something I doubt the traffic will be an issue.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks Galler, good to know Lithium is decent. There will be quite a few audio files and some videos, but I guess I can use youtube for that instead of hosting them. I THINK there'll be a fair bit of traffic - some family do a rock show on local community radio but have discovered it can open all sorts of doors, and with sheer brass balls they've managed to score face to face interviews with some seriously MASSIVE recording artists, but who knows?

Anyway I think I'm derailing the thread with this, sorry guys! :ohdear:

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Someone made the joke that 'Made2Own' was an appropriate name for their lovely service. The name of the company that bought them out? 'Brutal Networks.'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

"The dangers of shared hosting"

Not sure if these issues have been cleared up or not, but it goes to show what kind of hazards you can run into with a shared host.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Regarding TLDs, what do you guys recommend for personal sites/blogs? I was reading about the .name TLD and think that may be the way to go, but I'm not sure if .com is better (I guess for SEO purposes).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone use GoDaddy/Dreamhost/Hostgator for a small company of like 25 people? They claim unlimited email boxes etc but I was just wondering if they were horribly unreliable or slow or what.

I've set up 3-4 person companies with them before but they're not huge email users, basically personal accounts.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

Does anyone use GoDaddy/Dreamhost/Hostgator for a small company of like 25 people? They claim unlimited email boxes etc but I was just wondering if they were horribly unreliable or slow or what.

I've set up 3-4 person companies with them before but they're not huge email users, basically personal accounts.
pay for google apps, office live, whatever

Never use web hosts for email. Just get hosted exchange or something at a reputable place like rackspace or Microsoft

Saving you some headaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

Fangs404 posted:

Regarding TLDs, what do you guys recommend for personal sites/blogs? I was reading about the .name TLD and think that may be the way to go, but I'm not sure if .com is better (I guess for SEO purposes).

Always get the .com out of preference imho.

It's annoying to have to settle for some poo poo TLD because the .com is taken; I don't know why you'd subject yourself to this voluntarily.

(Doesn't make a diff to SEO though)