Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Ebay has been dry on what I need for months, but I'll check out Bent Bike. I actually just got some work done by Jake last week. Poor guy got rear ended by an SUV and thrown into an intersection. He's ok, just a bit bruised.

I'll take you up on friday night drinking. I just asked for an invite to the FB group, hopefully I can make it out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

AquaticIguana posted:

Ebay has been dry on what I need for months, but I'll check out Bent Bike. I actually just got some work done by Jake last week. Poor guy got rear ended by an SUV and thrown into an intersection. He's ok, just a bit bruised.

I'll take you up on friday night drinking. I just asked for an invite to the FB group, hopefully I can make it out tomorrow.

Yeah, poor Jake :( He's back working again, but his Bajaj is totaled, from what I understand.

There's a group - which isn't very active, and which I don't run - but we also have an event page. We typically re-use the event page rather than create a new one every week, we just change the info a day or two after the last event. There's a chance I'll be late to (or even miss :() tomorrow's happenings, but there'll still be a group there.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 24, 2012

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Got my girlfriend's Buddy 50 2-t back from the dealership after getting it's fancy exhaust put on it. It's surprisingly quick, I can almost get 50 mph out of it on flat pavement. It has a big flat spot in the power band though, I think it's jetted just a little to fat.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Purgey posted:

Also, I'm not sure if it counts as a 'scooter' but I kind of like the SYM Wolf 150. I think its a clone of the old Honda CB series. The salesperson I bought my scooter from actually rode an old Honda CB125 and I thought it was really cool, despite being surrounded by fancy sportbikes and cruisers.

Pros:

Good mileage
Large tank capacity
Cheap to insure
Low displacement qualifies it as a 'scooter' for liscencing (in my state of Illinois)
Sharp looks (personal preference)

Cons:

Pricey for what it is (3k~)
Probably less than stellar gearbox
Ergos look a bit cramped for 6'+
Not as convenient as a twist and go, not as thrilling as a larger bike
Unknown reliability track record (SYM is pretty good overall, but who knows how this bike specifically is)

Having said all that I really would love one to knock around on. Heck it might be the way I finally master manual transmission bikes. Who knows though, maybe by riding season I'll change my mind.

Who else has seen this?

I was looking for something CB-ish and wound up with something similar (although only a 50cc), a Yamaha YB-1. It's got a 29" seat height, and as a fellow 6'1" dude, I can say it's a bit low... when I'm trying to make a sharp turn in a parking lot the handlebars will sometimes hit my knees. It's not really a huge issue in day-to-day riding, but if I was dropping $3k on a bike, definitely make sure you don't have similar problems.

Also, what does it mean by a "circulated" transmission? The YB-1 has a clutch, but is kinda backwards; neutral is at the top and you click down to shift up.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Feb 24, 2012

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Got my girlfriend's Buddy 50 2-t back from the dealership after getting it's fancy exhaust put on it. It's surprisingly quick, I can almost get 50 mph out of it on flat pavement. It has a big flat spot in the power band though, I think it's jetted just a little to fat.

Yeah 2t 50s are awesome, there was a Piaggio Typhoon on CL recently I was eyeing pretty hard. I'd love to pick up a cheap older Zuma to kit but everyone wants $1000+ for them, which is silly.

On the flat spot, this is something I actually had never considered before: 2 strokes with expansion pipes have peaky powerbands, where the resonance of the pipe works with maximum efficiency. If the pipe's powerband was out of sync with the RPM/wheel speed/CVT roller weight combination, that could make for some weirdness. I guess one would have to find the right weights to keep the engine in the power band.

Anyone have much 2t/CVT tuning experience that can chime in on whether this is actually an issue?

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
My pipe came with lighter variator weights and stiffer clutch springs to even things out a bit. Much like increasing the carburetor's main jet, it's pretty much a necessity.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I got the pipe from scooterworks.com, and they sent me an email asking to let me know how the pipe worked out. I'll have to send them an email and let them know my findings once I ride it a bit more. The flat spot I am talking about is weird, it pulls strong up to about 30 mph, then drags super slow to about 38-40. After 40 mph it feels like the vtec kicks in and it pulls hard up to 45 and then drags up to 50ish. It's surprisingly powerful above 40.

I'll look into changing the transmission next. I imagine she will just ride it like this over the summer (she weighs ~100 lbs) and I'll start playing with it next winter.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Also, just sent an email to the guy about this scooter: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/mcy/2820096466.html

I want a 2-t myself now. They are SO. FUN.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Looks like a sweet deal.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

That's a very good deal.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

max4me posted:

Well I joined the scoot club last week.

Awesome. You should buy one of those skirt things you can clip onto the bike so that your waist stays warm when you ride.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Don't bring that poo poo here. Start another thread for your retarded loving ideas

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

mootmoot posted:

Awesome. You should buy one of those skirt things you can clip onto the bike so that your waist stays warm when you ride.

From what I hear, those things are actually incredible at keeping you warm and dry. Somehow I doubt you're an all-weather rider, though, so wouldn't know/understand.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

From what I hear, those things are actually incredible at keeping you warm and dry. Somehow I doubt you're an all-weather rider, though, so wouldn't know/understand.

I don't doubt for one second they're anything but incredible at keeping you warm and dry, and if that's the length that you want to go to then I applaud your commitment. I am absolutley not an all-weather rider; I don't even go out when it's cold.

This bad boy:

Would look great with these puppies:

mootmoot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 26, 2012

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

mootmoot posted:

My girlfriend loves it! She rides every day all year round.

SEE DEEZ NUTZ
Jan 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is that like the motorcycling equivalent of the slanket?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Uh how do you put your foot down at stops with that thing clipped on?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

notZaar posted:

Uh how do you put your foot down at stops with that thing clipped on?

You just put them down? It's not fastened at the bottom, it's just an apron.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

I have handlebar mitts but just wear either thermals or snap-on track pants when it gets that cold, since I already had them before I bought the scooter.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

mootmoot posted:

Neat Idea but living in california cold weather isnt really an issue for me.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

max4me posted:

Neat Idea but living in california cold weather isnt really an issue for me.

Then I guess the point is moot.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

cheesebot posted:

Then I guess the point is moot.

:downsrim:

SEE DEEZ NUTZ
Jan 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

mootmoot posted:

Holy poo poo does everyone here hate mootmoot or is it just one mod with a banter failure?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You just put them down? It's not fastened at the bottom, it's just an apron.

Oh. Somebody said it clips to the bike itself, so I was confused. If it's just a dress you'd probably look less silly buying some warm chaps or baggy pants that clip on.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Gotta say been looking up on this mootmoot chap......I thought he was just trying to be helpful with his suggestion....cause its still kinda cold.....sigh

Hey cheese bot where your girl get pink jacket I think mine might like one like that.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

max4me posted:

Gotta say been looking up on this mootmoot chap......I thought he was just trying to be helpful with his suggestion....cause its still kinda cold.....sigh

Hey cheese bot where your girl get pink jacket I think mine might like one like that.

If she wants something that doesn't look speedracerish (is that a word?), there is always the GoGo gear stuff. From what I heard it is pretty decent stuff. I know my girl wants one.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No she wants pink. The go go stuff is a turn off for her.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot

max4me posted:

Well, I don't know how much riding your girl does but this is not really a casual jacket and it's kinda pricey. It's the Rukka Julia in Fuchsia we bought it from biker-land.de but their site doesn't have it listed currently - we asked and they got us one from the factory (the prototype actually because they were completely out of stock).

This store (fc-moto) has it listed so you can get an idea but DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. They are idiots who do not understand international ordering and customs forms: http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf...TEX-Jacket-0001. Like I said, it's pricey.

If you want something a bit more reasonable did you look at Corazzo? We also have a pink 5.0 jacket that I think she's ready to sell and maybe we could give you a good deal: http://www.corazzo.net/womens-5.0-jacket

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SEE DEEZ NUTZ posted:

Holy poo poo does everyone here hate mootmoot or is it just one mod with a banter failure?

He was pretty obviously trolling based on what he said about scooters in his terrible gassed thread.

The people in this thread actually managed to turn that troll into a conversation though.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

notZaar posted:

Oh. Somebody said it clips to the bike itself, so I was confused. If it's just a dress you'd probably look less silly buying some warm chaps or baggy pants that clip on.

I think some clip to the bike, like around the headset, but they're still open at the bottom. The ScooterSkirt specifically just clips around the waist, as far as I know. Either way they'd be much easier to put on or take off than another set of pants.

Honestly, they're probably one of the most utilitarian pieces of scooter gear, but I'll be sticking with warm pants myself.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

He was pretty obviously trolling based on what he said about scooters in his terrible gassed thread.

The people in this thread actually managed to turn that troll into a conversation though.

We're scooterists, man, we're used to taking poo poo. We just shrug it off like water off a duck's back, or mootmoot off a Triumph.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

We're scooterists, man, we're used to taking poo poo. We just shrug it off like water off a duck's back, or mootmoot off a Triumph.

Hey man, that offramp knew his ONE weakness! A gradual, controlled turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcrL6GUL5cY&feature=related

If you can't appreciate scooters, vintage bikes or oddities then you are a bad person. For example, a guy across from our work rode up on his CanAm Spyder near the end of summer and everyone complimented him on what obviously looked like an enjoyable and unique ride (he even did up paint and decals like a WW2 fighter plane. silly, but hey its his bike).

Then you get a "REAL RIDER" who would snidely put down the CanAm and its rider because its too slow, three wheels, etc, thus ruining a decent conversation and needlessly isolating another rider.

Elitism helps nobody and frankly the world needs more riders, regardless of what they are riding. Especially in the USA where people think bikes are just a novelty and have no utilitarian purpose.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

SEE DEEZ NUTZ posted:

mootmoot is a gormless tool that feels incredibly emasculated by scooters, while being unable to make a gentle turn on his bike and getting his rear end beat by a honda civic. It's hilarious because in spite of all his juvenile behaviour he still thinks he's hot poo poo and we're all haters.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I don't know if this has been posted before, but there's a company trying to re-create Cushmans. They're called K-Jack Motors, and the parent company made newspaper machines for ~50 years: http://www.kjackmotors.com.

They just posted on their Facebook earlier today that they passed EPA and CARB, so intend to begin production. No word on prices or timeline.

2 models, so far: the Cushman II Step-Thru:

And the Cushman II Highlander:

Their site is light on juicy specs, but:
-made in USA, they say
-14hp and 404cc moving a hefty 340lbs for the Step-Thru
-9hp and 265cc moving 278lbs for the HIghlander
-Brembo disks
-"variable speed transmission," so presumably some sort of CVT

Googling "14hp 404cc" and "9hp 265cc" bring up some generators and Gravely small machines. Apparently these are Robin/Subaru engines, specifically I guess the EX27 and EX40: http://robinamerica.com/series.aspx?sid=7

While I'd expect a Subaru-made industrial engine to be fairly unstoppable (but I have no experience here) I am curious about the application, as scooters tend to be ridden at full throttle a lot and these engines are designed to run in a more middle RPM range. I do know industrial engines are pretty common swaps for Cushmans, at least Briggs & Stratton plants.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Feb 28, 2012

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST

SEE DEEZ NUTZ posted:

No, mootmoot, judging from my inbox and all the reports, it's not just me. And registering yet another account to pretend to be a 3rd party is pretty classy, too!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

sigtrap posted:

No, mootmoot, judging from my inbox and all the reports, it's not just me. And registering yet another account to pretend to be a 3rd party is pretty classy, too!

Well, that's brought the tally up to $30 towards the ice cream party. Maybe we'll be able to get some apple pies for some a-la-mode poo poo.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
after getting to know mootmoot I have this strange feeling to out squid him....theres a busa on Craigslist.....

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I don't know if this has been posted before, but there's a company trying to re-create Cushmans. They're called K-Jack Motors, and the parent company made newspaper machines for ~50 years: http://www.kjackmotors.com.

Thats awesome!! I've always been a big fan of Cushman bikes, but they're so drat hard to find, and expensive when you do.

Plus the fact that they rarely had/have good working electrics and any semblance of good braking systems.

Hopefully they sell them at a reasonable price, it'd be cool to see them take off.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Cushman engines were originally produced to spend all day running a water pump, so it's fitting that the new iteration uses an industrial motor as well.

They are also a lot of fun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFVpcT3eJs&feature=related

Armyman25 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 29, 2012

CubanRefugee
Jul 1, 2003

El Jefe
Reppin' the Row since '26.

GND: Just dropped a request on the Happy Hour group. I'm over in West Seattle, and hoping to join you guys once I get off my lazy rear end and register my Stella in Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CubanRefugee posted:

GND: Just dropped a request on the Happy Hour group. I'm over in West Seattle, and hoping to join you guys once I get off my lazy rear end and register my Stella in Washington.

Sweet! Feel free to show up without your scooter, plenty of people walk/bike/drive/bus/whatever. We usually stay put, or maybe hop bars in walking distance, at least unless the weather is nice. Then we might ride between 'hoods.

Speaking of, AquaticIguana: sorry I didn't turn up last time, I had to go to a post-holiday party for my girlfriend's employer. I made her go to mine, so it was only fair. Hope you had fun!