Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
The game had way too many endings. How can one game end so many times?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Mulefisk posted:

I must say after having played this this might just be the most pretentious game I have ever played. I hate games that try and shove things down your throat and this game just excels at that. It's like it just screams "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT WHAT IM TELLING YOU STUPID! I AM SMART LIVE LIKE ME!" from start to finish. Had it at least been subtle it would have been acceptable but it is not. Sure it's funny in parts, has some cool set designs, and it plays around with the genre which is nice. But it's not even clever. It's not a clever observation that the game is trying to show you. It's trite at best. And it's just blasted in your face from start to finish.
You seem both extremely logical and extremely emotional.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Has the unfound secret that the developer mentioned in the Reddit Q&A been found yet?

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

RatHat posted:

Has the unfound secret that the developer mentioned in the Reddit Q&A been found yet?

I think the credits secret was found after that? But I'm not sure.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

God you just know on his deathbed he's gonna be like "I can't believe no one thought to click on the ceiling tiles in Stanley's office and escape through the air vents"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Everything we've found without having to be told, was found in the first week and a half or so. A sudden drop in "rate of finding stuff" probably means a sudden spike in "obscurity of things remaining".

In the reddit AMA, William told people to "type S-E-C-R-E-T on the main menu, then watch the credits". That's a thing I'm pretty sure nobody figured out until it was mentioned. That's our baseline for obscurity. It could be any number of entirely arbitrary things. Well, it's probably not like, "Walk through every major ending while looking straight up the entire time, and only moving with the strafe keys." But MAYBE????

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mulefisk posted:

I must say after having played this this might just be the most pretentious game I have ever played. I hate games that try and shove things down your throat and this game just excels at that. It's like it just screams "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT WHAT IM TELLING YOU STUPID! I AM SMART LIVE LIKE ME!" from start to finish. Had it at least been subtle it would have been acceptable but it is not. Sure it's funny in parts, has some cool set designs, and it plays around with the genre which is nice. But it's not even clever. It's not a clever observation that the game is trying to show you. It's trite at best. And it's just blasted in your face from start to finish.

I must say, nice post/title combination you have there.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
One thing I enjoy about games like this is the indignant responses by people who either:

1. don't get it because games are supposed to be "beaten"
2. do get it but pull out the "it's all very pretentious but not at all level card".

One of my favourite parts is when you walk onto the crane thing and then walk off again so it goes on without you, so the narrator makes fun of you and then goads you to jump.

I do think having the FPS ending (where apparently you and all the NPCs would realise it was all pointless and gang up against the "game" itself) would've added something, despite the explanations in the museum part about why it wasn't included.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

One thing I enjoy about games like this is the indignant responses by people who either:

1. don't get it because games are supposed to be "beaten"
2. do get it but pull out the "it's all very pretentious but not at all level card".

One of my favourite parts is when you walk onto the crane thing and then walk off again so it goes on without you, so the narrator makes fun of you and then goads you to jump.

I do think having the FPS ending (where apparently you and all the NPCs would realise it was all pointless and gang up against the "game" itself) would've added something, despite the explanations in the museum part about why it wasn't included.

The problem was that too many people got the wrong idea, and that idea was exactly opposite to what they'd hoped.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
For a lot of these reasons I think that The Escape Pod Ending actually does a lot for the game. Suddenly, it's not being shoved in your face, and you have to actually think about it and come to a conclusion on your own whether or not it was meant to be cut (personally, I think it's intentional, and I love it).

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
It'd be cool if the 'Choice' movie, when changed, the original ends up in the developer museum. It'd be a nice touch.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ambushsabre posted:

For a lot of these reasons I think that The Escape Pod Ending actually does a lot for the game. Suddenly, it's not being shoved in your face, and you have to actually think about it and come to a conclusion on your own whether or not it was meant to be cut (personally, I think it's intentional, and I love it).

It might be, considering that the texture that states that both you and the narrator should be in the pod together is smudged away.

But then, how would you think to even know that without having seen the texture unsmudged? No, I ponder if there remains a hidden combination or secret that can trigger it properly.

It seems to only trigger when you're leaving the boss's office again, so it could be any kind of in-joke, like 0666 or something.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Spaceking posted:

It'd be cool if the 'Choice' movie, when changed, the original ends up in the developer museum. It'd be a nice touch.

Now that you mention it, I would be surprised if they didn't.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ViggyNash posted:

Now that you mention it, I would be surprised if they didn't.

Given that part of the reason the choice movie is being changed is because a teacher wanted to show the game to children and felt images of a child being set on fire prevented them from doing this, I think moving said image of a child being set on fire somewhere else in the game wouldn't really fix the issue.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Is there any way to dislike this game without being dismissed as an idiot Raphael?

This game is the epitome of 'Emperor's New Clothes'. No one can criticise it without looking stupid and everyone wants to 'get it' and think they're an intellectual. It's amazing.

edit: I personally really like it and think most of this thread's analysis is interesting

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Not a Twat posted:

Is there any way to dislike this game without being dismissed as an idiot Raphael?

This game is the epitome of 'Emperor's New Clothes'. No one can criticise it without looking stupid and everyone wants to 'get it' and think they're an intellectual. It's amazing.

edit: I personally really like it and think most of this thread's analysis is interesting

There is, absolutely. Note the lack of the word 'pretentious' and no references to Gone Home or Dear Esther.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

I downloaded and played through the demo a couple of days ago, and have been reading through this thread and watching run-throughs of the endings on Youtube. I think the demo did the game itself a disservice, because nothing I did in it made any difference (except maybe the secret that I didn't find). TSP the game is about open-endedness, flexibility, and playing with your assumptions of what a game should be. But in the demo I felt like I was getting railroaded through a Monty Python sketch guest starring Wheatley. In the beginning, I didn't wait for my number to be called before rushing to the green room; I didn't try to stand still for 20 minutes; and I didn't even bother moving my mouse during the "dance" bit, things I did specifically to try and get a reaction out of the game. I had some hope when the Narrator specifically tells me to ruminate on my failings in life and what I've done to get where I am, but near as I can tell that happens regardless of what you do earlier in the demo.

It was funny and entertaining in it's own way, but the demo didn't make want me to pay for the full game. And since I've spoiled myself on pretty much everything and have watched the game being played out, I don't want to pay for the game NOW, either. :(

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Yeah, the demo had a really hard job: show off the game without having any of the actual game's content in it. I feel like it worked in some respects (the humor and metacommentary) and failed in others (no choices, none of the darker bits that I feel are the best parts of the game), but I feel that for what it attempts it pulls off really well.

Regarding your spoiler: The narrator does comment if you wait for your number when you revisit that room, you do get alternate dialogue depending on whether or not you stay still or not when he asks you to, and there are a few other spots where he does change what he says depending on what you do like sticking around to play the 8 game or not. Those changes are definitely not as obvious as they are in the main game, though.

But yeah, if you've already watched people play through the entire game on Youtube then you've already watched the entire game and I can't blame you for not wanting to pick up the full game after that. I do kind of wonder if you have seen all the endings, though.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I'm surprised, when watching videos of people play the demo, that most people seem to actually wait for their number to come up in the empty waiting room. It'd be interesting to see some stats for how many people did what.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

A shrubbery! posted:

It's clever, witty humour that pokes fun at video games. If you were expecting actual gameplay you'll be disappointed, it's essentially a self-aware parody. You get the endings for taking each path (and each off-shoot path) and maybe some of the random event permutations, and that's it (until more gets patched in.)

Best non-endorsement I've ever read. So it's like a hipster's explorer's game. Pop some molly and run around hallways, you just don't get it maaaan.

Make it free and I'll appreciate your self-aware parody that has no gameplay.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Bluedust posted:

Best non-endorsement I've ever read. So it's like a hipster's explorer's game. Pop some molly and run around hallways, you just don't get it maaaan.

The current game is an updated version of a Source mod that is, in fact, available for free.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It has more interactivity than a movie and less interactivity than SimCity. I found it quite entertaining. I'm fine with calling it a "game" because it fits that category better than other arbitrary categories, and making up new words for stuff like this (it's an ~interactuve experience~, not a real game like Far Cry or Mario Party) is actually more pretentious than just rolling with it.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Opposing Farce posted:

The current game is an updated version of a Source mod that is, in fact, available for free.

.... okay?

e: In case I actually need to be clearer, The Stanley Parable is not free.

e2: poo poo I already see the "not a game" derail. It is a game, it's just that it's boring and doesn't have anything to it besides a british man who tries too hard to be witty.

Bluedust fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 30, 2013

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Bluedust posted:

e: In case I actually need to be clearer, The Stanley Parable is not free.

He's referring to the original mod that's free, not the updated version on Steam.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

A Bystander posted:

He's referring to the original mod that's free, not the updated version on Steam.

I know, but it made no sense to what we were talking about.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Bluedust posted:

I know, but it made no sense to what we were talking about.

I think he said that because of your comment on making it free so that you'll appreciate it when the original version was already free and I guess he thought you didn't already know or something I don't know this discussion is stupid.

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

A Bystander posted:

I think he said that because of your comment on making it free so that you'll appreciate it when the original version was already free and I guess he thought you didn't already know or something I don't know this discussion is stupid.

The "in fact" made him sound like a dick I think. So I'm happy to know there's a free version, thanks.

Spaceking
Aug 27, 2012

One for the road...
Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation got the Broom Closet ending. The Broom Closet ending was his favourite.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10695-Beyond-Two-Souls-vs-The-Stanley-Parable

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Bluedust posted:

The "in fact" made him sound like a dick I think. So I'm happy to know there's a free version, thanks.

If you do end up giving either version a go, feel free to come back and post some thoughts, even if your opinions don't really change much.

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006

Reveilled posted:

Given that part of the reason the choice movie is being changed is because a teacher wanted to show the game to children and felt images of a child being set on fire prevented them from doing this, I think moving said image of a child being set on fire somewhere else in the game wouldn't really fix the issue.

It could, or at least it could broaden the range of acceptability a bit.

Since the museum acts as a sounding board for the developers, it could be justified to add a new room explaining why this scene was deleted from the regular game and what they learned from it. The museum does act as a living sort of post-mortem, so placing it there puts the image in an academic context and shouldn't offend anyone.

Not saying they should do it, just that I agree it would be the best place to put it if anywhere at all.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bluedust posted:

poo poo guys, I thought I found some gameplay in The Stanley Parable but I guess I must be wrong?

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Those On My Left posted:

poo poo guys, I thought I found some gameplay in The Stanley Parable but I guess I must be wrong?

It's a game, just a shallow game. Please don't derail this into another game vs non-game argument.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Bluedust posted:

It's a game, just a shallow game. Please don't derail this into another game vs non-game argument.

That would be a horrible derail indeed. Instead, I suggest we keep this conversation on track, and discuss whether or not the game has any gameplay (and also whether or not it's for hipsters - god I hate hipsters, they are just the worst).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
There should just be a giant disclaimer in the OP that says:

"Play the Stanley Parable Demo. Did you laugh at all during the demo? If not, please don't purchase the full game. If you ignore this advice and do, please don't get mad at the people who liked the game. Thank you."

There are plenty of people who'll tell you to "just play it, you just have to experience it", but you can still do research and see if the game is your type of humor. Watch a playthrough of one of the endings and forget about spoiling yourself. If you like what you see, the rest of the game is more of that. If not, don't buy it.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

There should just be a giant disclaimer in the OP that says:

"Play the Stanley Parable Demo. Did you laugh at all during the demo? If not, please don't purchase the full game. If you ignore this advice and do, please don't get mad at the people who liked the game. Thank you."

There are plenty of people who'll tell you to "just play it, you just have to experience it", but you can still do research and see if the game is your type of humor. Watch a playthrough of one of the endings and forget about spoiling yourself. If you like what you see, the rest of the game is more of that. If not, don't buy it.

But if I don't play it how will I be able to remind myself that I am better than hipsters and post about that on the internet

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

Those On My Left posted:

But if I don't play it how will I be able to remind myself that I am better than hipsters and post about that on the internet

Seems like I struck a nerve as you won't let it go even after I didn't reply, sorry if randomly insulting hipsters bothers you so much. Enjoy your game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Me reading Bluedust's posts: :psyduck:

I have no idea what the problem is. You said you would play the game if it was free, someone recommended playing the original, 100% free Source mod, and you started getting pissy.

Then someone makes a silly, sarcastic comment aimed at space, and you take it as a personal insult.

What?

Just either play the drat game or don't, and come back and post once you're done. Don't poo poo up the thread getting mad at people when you haven't even played it even after a recommendation that you asked for.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Spaceking posted:

Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation got the Broom Closet ending. The Broom Closet ending was his favourite.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/10695-Beyond-Two-Souls-vs-The-Stanley-Parable

He's not the first person I've heard compare this game to Beyond: Two Souls, or rather, talk about how the former feels like an unintentional response to the latter. It's really an amazing coincidence those two games came out at roughly the same time, as they both call into question the basic problems of trying to tell a predetermined story in an interactive format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedust
Jan 7, 2009

by Ralp

ViggyNash posted:

Me reading Bluedust's posts: :psyduck:

I have no idea what the problem is. You said you would play the game if it was free, someone recommended playing the original, 100% free Source mod, and you started getting pissy.

Then someone makes a silly, sarcastic comment aimed at space, and you take it as a personal insult.

What?

Just either play the drat game or don't, and come back and post once you're done. Don't poo poo up the thread getting mad at people when you haven't even played it even after a recommendation that you asked for.

I just really hate hipsters, you don't get it man.

• Locked thread