Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Fun fact: stomach acid contains 0.5-1% hydrochloric acid. Yes, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Aerdan posted:

Still better than hydrofluoric. There's a reason chemists call it "The bone seeker".

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aerdan posted:

Which works out to ~.05-.1M. (a measure of concentration where one mole of molecules (~6.02x1023) in one liter of solution is equal to 1M)Not very strong, you can wash your hands with it and be safe so long as you dont stay in it for hours, but it's really just there so the lower pH loving enzymes can work their magic.

For reference if you want to acidify a solution for chemical reasons you use .5 or 1M acid solution. the latter is still safe unless you get it in your eyes.
Things start to get more dangerous at 3M and above. Proper concentrated hydrochloric (37%) is 12M. anything above (40%/13M) and it starts to spontaneously evolve gaseous HCl.

Which is, obviously, not much fun to breathe.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Aug 2, 2016

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
There's a rule. Every time a dangerous chemical is mentioned this thread must be linked

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

I ain't got time to bleed. (You got time to duck?) We get the awesome Autocannon, but Kathryn gets grabbed by the arm and immediately develops Damsel In Distress syndrome. Time for a chase sequence! Or perhaps that should be 'rampage'.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

It's a surprisingly good chase sequence, all things considered. And the chain gun can really rip into guys!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Oh my God; I never cottoned on that the Autocannon only has like two bullets in the magazine. That's BRILLIANT.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So if the autocannon can make replacement bullets using E-99, can that technology be used to make more E-99? The possibilities offered by the autocannon are near limitless.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

So if the autocannon can make replacement bullets using E-99, can that technology be used to make more E-99? The possibilities offered by the autocannon are near limitless.

Replacements? What? It just rewinds the bullets it has already fired after they've done their work, back into the magazine. I really doubt you can rewind the E99 back into it, given that it uses... E99 to do it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I would imagine that you could revert E99 from "used" to "unused", but doing so would require more E99 to be spent than would be recovered.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Ariong posted:

I would imagine that you could revert E99 from "used" to "unused", but doing so would require more E99 to be spent than would be recovered.

There's those pesky Laws of Thermodynamics again.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

HenryEx posted:

Replacements? What? It just rewinds the bullets it has already fired after they've done their work, back into the magazine. I really doubt you can rewind the E99 back into it, given that it uses... E99 to do it.

I figured that's what it's probably doing, but the description your evil twin gave made it sound like it might have been reverting the empty magazine back to when it was full, instead of rewinding all of the bullets back into their unfired state. It would have been cool if there was an animation of all the bullets flying back into the gun, but that's expecting too much.

IronSaber posted:

There's those pesky Laws of Thermodynamics again.

Assuming disobeying the Laws of Thermodynamics is the one thing E99 can't do.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, so the Singularity and a whole bunch of E99 seeping into everything turned a lot of humans into mutants, Reverts and teleporting guys...not to mention all the other nasties crawling around... It's not hard to see how Demechev would be able to weaponize a lot of this crap, my only question is, how the hell did he get off the island long enough to turn this technology towards world domination? Every log we've seen suggests everybody on the island either turned into monsters or became monster food when trying to escape. (Also, does he have a time machine of his own? Maybe bigger, less portable than the TMD?)

Brayko must be seriously tough to have survived this long on an island that chewed everyone else up like jerky.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the one thing you can be sure with Soviet projects is that they have a special escape route prepared for visiting party dignitaries. Funny thing about communism there: it turns into the opposite of communism when applied.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Speedball posted:

Brayko must be seriously tough to have survived this long on an island that chewed everyone else up like jerky.

Remember there is a Russian scientist who has survived being shot in the face with a particle accelerator.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Speedball posted:

Okay, so the Singularity and a whole bunch of E99 seeping into everything turned a lot of humans into mutants, Reverts and teleporting guys...not to mention all the other nasties crawling around... It's not hard to see how Demechev would be able to weaponize a lot of this crap, my only question is, how the hell did he get off the island long enough to turn this technology towards world domination? Every log we've seen suggests everybody on the island either turned into monsters or became monster food when trying to escape. (Also, does he have a time machine of his own? Maybe bigger, less portable than the TMD?)

The schedule Evil Twin was looking at in the last video had reports of E99 getting shipped to Moscow and/or elsewhere for testing.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
And the next video is where I rage quit after putting eight loving hours into trying to beat that boss. I have not touched this game since 2010...

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Samovar posted:

Remember there is a Russian scientist who has survived being shot in the face with a particle accelerator.

Who was that again, and was it in Singularity? Because remember reading that in the very first particle accelerators scientists checked to see if it worked by sticking their head in with their eyes closed, and if they saw light it was working.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Communist Zombie posted:

Who was that again, and was it in Singularity? Because remember reading that in the very first particle accelerators scientists checked to see if it worked by sticking their head in with their eyes closed, and if they saw light it was working.

He's quite real, I assure you.

Apparently still alive today.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Katorga-12 Railways would like to apologise for the delay, caused by the wrong type of colossal monster on the line.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 23, 2016

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Been a while since I last paid attention to 40K, but the queen seems pretty much to be a Tyranid rip-off.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I love that boss fight. It's visually intense, the environment itself is being used against you, you're in about as perilous a situation as you could be, and yet, you're never in doubt for what to do because the boss has glowing weakpoints.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
That is the boss fight that made me rage quit this game. I tried for eight loving hours to beat it.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I did feel like they sold the "ok surely it's dead now ... oh gently caress no" expectation to me, with how many stages the fight had

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That is the boss fight that made me rage quit this game. I tried for eight loving hours to beat it.

Yeah I don't know why but I also had massive problems with the boss. Not multi-hour problems, but for how simple it is, it somehow can be really tough in practice. I blame the barely telegraphed attacks and how variable your max health can be at that point of the game.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

It is surprising how some people enjoy the boss fight and others find it to be a nightmare.

I think that when I first played the game (on Normal difficulty) I died several times in a row, but it didn't feel overly tough, it felt no less reasonable than a boss fight in an old game like Doom or Quake or Half-Life. I'm pretty sure I found the first encounter with the Phase Ticks much tougher than the boss.

I guess it could make a difference if you hadn't invested any E99 tech into increasing your maximum health bar, or increasing the number of health packs you can carry, or the amount of health they administer. If you no health upgrades then I can imagine getting stuck for quite a while. I can't see how anyone could do it for 8 hours though, that's pretty much the length of the whole game!

The only experience I've ever had similar to that was the final boss of Final Fantasy VIII when I was a kid, I spent a whole afternoon doing that over and over till I finally won.

your evil twin fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 2, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm thankful for any boss that has glowing weakpoints. If there's nothing obvious to aim for it gets a bit weird.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

your evil twin posted:

It is surprising how some people enjoy the boss fight and others find it to be a nightmare.

I think that when I first played the game (on Normal difficulty) I died several times in a row, but it didn't feel overly tough, it felt no less reasonable than a boss fight in an old game like Doom or Quake or Half-Life. I'm pretty sure I found the first encounter with the Phase Ticks much tougher than the boss.

I guess it could make a difference if you hadn't invested any E99 tech into increasing your maximum health bar, or increasing the number of health packs you can carry, or the amount of health they administer. If you no health upgrades then I can imagine getting stuck for quite a while. I can't see how anyone could do it for 8 hours though, that's pretty much the length of the whole game!

The only experience I've ever had similar to that was the final boss of Final Fantasy VIII when I was a kid, I spent a whole afternoon doing that over and over till I finally won.

I'm terrible at pattern boss fights. I always have been and always will be. When I see an end of game boss like the Joker at the end of Arkham Asylum or the final shoot out in Time Shift, I usually just quit right there. The Tick Queen is not near the end though so I kept trying to get through it until I got so pissed I uninstalled. I bought it the first day it was on sale and haven't played it since that time.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

Our train arrives at the Central Docks, where we need to find the E99 bomb that is sitting in the hold of a sunken freighter. While searching for the ship a random time wave sends us back to 1955!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like how 1955 is in a much different color scheme than the apocalyptic present. It's a nice touch.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
You missed a note on the left wall of the container in the docks that gave you the Seeker, just before you got 1955'd.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I can't help but feel that they should have taken longer on the raising the Pearl cutscene - it seems as though it all happens too quickly and easily, so it doesn't really covey the huge weight of a colossal cargo ship. And no-one comments on Renko swamping himself with seawater?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

That was one magic bullet at 18:32

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

The next part, "The Pearl", is currently rendering, hope to have it up for you in a few hours!

I've also gotten hold of old alpha/beta footage of the Docks / Pearl section of the game, so in a few days you can all look forward to a special bonus video as well! It's interesting to see how the earlier versions of the game were far more puzzle-orientated.

Pickled Tink posted:

You missed a note on the left wall of the container in the docks that gave you the Seeker, just before you got 1955'd.

Whoops! Yep that chrono-note reads "IT'S STILL NOT FIXED".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

your evil twin posted:

The next part, "The Pearl", is currently rendering, hope to have it up for you in a few hours!

I've also gotten hold of old alpha/beta footage of the Docks / Pearl section of the game, so in a few days you can all look forward to a special bonus video as well! It's interesting to see how the earlier versions of the game were far more puzzle-orientated.

Whoops! Yep that chrono-note reads "IT'S STILL NOT FIXED".

If you don't mind me saying so, the Pearl is one of the places it is nice to have the longer breath bioformula applied (whatever it is calls).

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That musical interlude near the start of the Pearl :allears:

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

We've raised the sunken freighter using the TMD and must find the E99 bomb in the cargo hold. However the ship is rapidly aging and falling apart! There's also hordes of monsters and soldiers to deal with, but fortunately we get a fun new weapon, the Dethex Launcher. Can we retrieve the bomb before the ship takes us with it to the depths?

Lack of Gravitas posted:

That musical interlude near the start of the Pearl :allears:

Hehe! You're quick off the mark, commenting on the video before I make the forum post about it! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

Samizdata posted:

If you don't mind me saying so, the Pearl is one of the places it is nice to have the longer breath bioformula applied (whatever it is calls).

Yep, and indeed I purchased the Iron Lung upgrade at the Augmentor that's in cargo hold of The Pearl itself. It's not essential, but without it you need to repeatedly bob up to the surface for air, and you have to swim quickly through the tunnel bits.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Better than V-Ice.

But beyond that, I would advise against pursuing a musical career.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

This was such a good level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Speedball posted:

This was such a good level.

Pretty much they are all, despite my nemeses being any of the on rail crane/cart areas.

(Also, despite, or perhaps because of, all my replays, I would love a New Game Plus option.)

• Locked thread