Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
so I'm thinking of firing up a server from AWS/Digital Ocean/etc. next month to play doom and quake and wanted to know what are the best multiplayer wads, modes, etc.

a few years back someone setup an nquake server over thanksgiving and it was as shitload of fun to play with people again. i'm thinking maybe the first 2 weeks of the month run the server with doom using zandronum and play specific mods like samsara, russian overkill, and just vanilla doom at certain times on weekends. then the last 2 weeks switch to nquake and play classic DM maps or whatever

anyone interested in playing next month? good multiplayer doom and quake maps that are a must to play too?

how much memory does a modern doom or quake multiplayer server need too? i'm guessing 2GB should cover it with plenty to spare.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

You can run a quake server on a low end unix box as it doesn't need much. I had a list of custom q1 dm maps but I need to find it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I'm thinking the $10/month Digital Ocean 'droplet' with plain old Ubuntu server would be perfect. Not sure how much bandwidth gaming takes, but it can't be thaaaat bad with just text and control messages being sent around.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

mod sassinator posted:

so I'm thinking of firing up a server from AWS/Digital Ocean/etc. next month to play doom and quake and wanted to know what are the best multiplayer wads, modes, etc.

a few years back someone setup an nquake server over thanksgiving and it was as shitload of fun to play with people again. i'm thinking maybe the first 2 weeks of the month run the server with doom using zandronum and play specific mods like samsara, russian overkill, and just vanilla doom at certain times on weekends. then the last 2 weeks switch to nquake and play classic DM maps or whatever

anyone interested in playing next month? good multiplayer doom and quake maps that are a must to play too?

how much memory does a modern doom or quake multiplayer server need too? i'm guessing 2GB should cover it with plenty to spare.

I never got to play vanilla Doom or Quake DM online back in the day so being able to play those would be cool

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah I'm thinking the $10/month Digital Ocean 'droplet' with plain old Ubuntu server would be perfect. Not sure how much bandwidth gaming takes, but it can't be thaaaat bad with just text and control messages being sent around.

man just host it on your own computer unless you are literally on dialup

even then its ok because that's what these games were designed for

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Yeah quake and doom have such a low over head and don't require much bandwidth.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
It's honestly easier to setup a cloud server. Less screwing around with my machine at home, less messing with the router to punch out the right ports, etc. And I can just leave it running with bots and such for people to play during the week at random times.

Also I just bought the domain unionaerospace.net for a few bucks so it will have a sweet name. Too bad the .com was taken. :(

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

It's honestly easier to setup a cloud server. Less screwing around with my machine at home, less messing with the router to punch out the right ports, etc. And I can just leave it running with bots and such for people to play during the week at random times.

Also I just bought the domain unionaerospace.net for a few bucks so it will have a sweet name. Too bad the .com was taken. :(

you just run it on your pc directly with basically zero resource usage and minimize the window (or run it inside a virtual machine if you're already equipped to run VMs) and then forward 1 port, it is honestly a lot easier than paying money to rent a server and set up remotely and poo poo

i mean do whatever you like and if you really want to play around with a cloud server then go hog wild but don't be misinformed about the reasons to use it

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Alternately, http://www.best-ever.org

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Anyone ever play Chasm? It's a Quake clone from Ukraine. I first played it from a 250 Best Arcade Games disc that we had for our K6-2 when I was a kid; it runs in DOSbox pretty decently, although nowhere near as smoothly as it did on the K6-2. It's got destructible environments, enemies w/ limbs you can shoot off, and killer scorpions.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Yes, I played it and it's pretty good, if primitve on the tech side (very simple maps and very little vertical movement), but definitely fun. Boss battles are quite quake'ish. I always thought that Vivisector: Beast Within from the same studio is Chasm's long-lost cousin.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Roguelike doom is another one, but it makes the game too much like diablo and the interface loving sucks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRLUFzQheE8

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Yeah quake and doom have such a low over head and don't require much bandwidth.

i think OG Doom LAN multiplayer actually sent out data with broadcast packets, which is such an insanely bad idea that it owns

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

oops, this is what I meant: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=37044

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh lol. That actually really reminds me of Raid Mode in RE Revelations.

some review because I can't find any footage that isnt a pro speedrun posted:

Each enemy drops an item when killed, which can be more ammo or health. Enemy drops are random, and if you're lucky enough, enemies will drop weapon attachments that can be used to upgrade your guns at the end of each stage.

Each kill and stage completion earns XP, which can be spent at the end of each level on higher-level guns to make tricky runs a little faster. Guns of the same level can have different stats too--two level-11 handguns may appear the same, but one will have a higher rate of fire whilst the other will do more damage.

I think the one I posted is pretty cool in theory but like all roguelikes it sucks balls to play.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Augh, I can't get this dumb wad to work, I always get a Decorate error :mad:

edit: Fixed it, my dumbshit lazy method of attempting file associations to run it wasn't working because they're associated with the non-beta version of ZDoom and weren't changing to the latest one.

and then it turns out you could run WADs by dragging them onto the executable, blugh wish I knew that earlier

Leroy Dennui fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 21, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Leroy Dennui posted:

Augh, I can't get this dumb wad to work, I always get a Decorate error :mad:

use the latest beta version of zdoom/gzdoom.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
oh my god i was just playing samsara a little bit to test it out, and holy poo poo does it look like fun. can't wait to get this going. the characters they added are really well done and super nostalgic

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Yo to whoever was asking for dope weapons wads,the best one I ever played was wwhc-diaz. Reloading, alt fires, good variety, and fairly balanced. It adds several new enemies too and is just a blast overall. Zen Dynamics is really good too. I wish there was a cacoward category for best gameplay mod, it seems the doomworld guys are only focused on level design which is a real shame because some gameplay wads are really fun.

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Speaking of, what are some other dope gameplay wads that don't change up the general formula of shooting dudes, but add in something more than just weapons? I'm thinking something like Stronghold(hella dope if you've never played it), rather than the F zero or Sonic wads. Modern Warfare, DoomRL arsenal, and Brutal Doom(it sucks but is worth trying out at least once)are all kind of examples of what I'm looking for.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Try Satanic.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

SoR Blaze posted:

I wish there was a cacoward category for best gameplay mod

there is. it's called

Best Gameplay Mod

http://www.doomworld.com/20years/others.php

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006

Yeah but there's only 1/year there should be like 3

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

SoR Blaze posted:

Yeah but there's only 1/year there should be like 3

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Russian Overkill is the reason I had so much fun with the Dark Tartarus WAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlmEYiW7J1c

(this vid isn't mine but it may as well be)

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

lmao

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

Zero Star posted:

Russian Overkill is the reason I had so much fun with the Dark Tartarus WAD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlmEYiW7J1c

(this vid isn't mine but it may as well be)

holy poo poo that wad has some nice tunes. like something out of unreal.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

coincidentally, a lot are by the same composer

alexander brandon is basically a cool guy

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Toilet Rascal

AHungryRobot posted:

the first tune is the title track for Crusader: No Remorse which is a brilliant game with brilliant music

and yeah, alexander brandon is cool as heck

EDIT: he didn't do the crusader score though, that was andrew sega (also cool as heck)

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

AHungryRobot posted:

It's funny you should mention Unreal, because one of the later maps in Tartarus is a remake of Facing Worlds, complete with the UT map's original music :D

also this is my new favourite FPS background tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBJuTybEejY

• Locked thread