Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

folder
Oct 9, 2016

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Good job, Prompto.

sometimes prompto gets it wrong and takes a big picture of a bush, or a close up of a leather jacket, but I think that just makes you apprecaite the good ones all the more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene
My prompto is obsessed with taking pictures of everyone mounting chocobos. rear end shots for days.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

I'm kinda rushing the story now so I can start over and build up my team with some sort of plan rather than spending points on whatever I can afford at the time.

I feel like cid's weapon quests bugged for me. I'm pretty sure I have the mats I need but Cid just gives me canned responses.

Go on a hunt or two... if you really think you're glitching, save and reload?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I think the reward feels in this game are spot on. It seems like everything in the game either levels up, upgrades or unlocks organically. It's very nice.

Agreed.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Dilbert Fanclub President posted:

I'm kinda rushing the story now so I can start over and build up my team with some sort of plan rather than spending points on whatever I can afford at the time.

I feel like cid's weapon quests bugged for me. I'm pretty sure I have the mats I need but Cid just gives me canned responses.

You can only hand in one at a time. Try making the quests your active one and look at the objective. They can't be seen in the actual quest selection screen, you have to go back out of the menus and look on the right side at the quest tracker. If there is one that say "wait for cid to finish" or something you should just go do quests and hunts and then camp and you should get a call. Otherwise try double checking the item name, make sure you have it in your inventory and talk to him. It can be finnicky.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Still in Chapter 3 and enjoying questing. Going to give the ppl around my spot in the game a professional tip: Upgrade Teamwork to get A+ finesse ratings on the regular.

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

I'm not really a big ff guy usually but this game is really great. One of my favorite RPGs in a while

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Still in Chapter 3 and enjoying questing. Going to give the ppl around my spot in the game a professional tip: Upgrade Teamwork to get A+ finesse ratings on the regular.

Some of those link strikes are monstrous too, and sometimes put you behind an enemy so you can follow up with a blindside. It feels so cool. I think I'm level 30 and still haven't left chapter 3 haha.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Some of those link strikes are monstrous too, and sometimes put you behind an enemy so you can follow up with a blindside. It feels so cool. I think I'm level 30 and still haven't left chapter 3 haha.

I'm lvl34 and haven't left Chapter 3.

Just caught the crag baramundi.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Professional Tip #2: Drive with first person camera while it's raining for some drivefeels.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

whats your playtime like still in chapter 3? i moved on around 18 hours just to keep the story going even though i still love the side stuff.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I'm at 17 hours now so yeah that sounds about right

I think I'm close to wrapping up the sidequests here

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Yeah the autosaving is great in this game

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I got my rear end handed to me by a coerl hunt. I guess they have a aoe move that was strong enough to at least kill prompto at full health. Tough fight.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I got my rear end handed to me by a coerl hunt. I guess they have a aoe move that was strong enough to at least kill prompto at full health. Tough fight.

Yeah i stumbled on a couerl at 31, its possible but the lightning magic it does will wipe the whole party at that stage.

i did long range warp strikes to keep it weak and knocked over.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Knuck how did u get the omegasword or w/e

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Knuck how did u get the omegasword or w/e

Theres 3 pretty easy quests for Cid to upgrade the engine sword. The first 2 items I came across naturally and the last one I got from a hunt.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I'm at 17 hours now so yeah that sounds about right

I think I'm close to wrapping up the sidequests here

I'm at 60 hours... I had the day off Thursday so I spent almost all day playing it lol, and I've spent all but like 5 of my free hours playing it. I love this game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dec 21 I'm gonna get XV, Last Guardian and the new Shantae and lose a day

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

In Training posted:

Dec 21 I'm gonna get XV, Last Guardian and the new Shantae and lose a day

Best of luck dealing with the surplus of win.

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

zen death robot posted:

I noticed the game glitches if you use sleep mode to suspend it for too long instead of saving and closing the app. I ended up with one save where Noct would fall through the hotel in Lestallum and through the game world no matter what. Luckily there was an auto save just 2 minutes earlier so it wasn't a big deal.

Speaking of glitches, I was happy to see after downloading the day one patch that nothing really big popped up; reviews mentioned game crashes in dungeons, which sounded hellish, autosave or not. I do think I got a version of this glitch at one point with an OP mob in the last level, but it was fairly freaking win because the enemy shot up into the air too and I beat its rear end a million feet above the ground. Game owns

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah i stumbled on a couerl at 31, its possible but the lightning magic it does will wipe the whole party at that stage.

i did long range warp strikes to keep it weak and knocked over.

I have killed 2 at a time, but it was 5 of the cunts haha. Another annoying enemy are those killer bee things. I hate how the only reliable way to hit them is with pistols or warp strikes...not to mention confusion status on my homie Ignis when I need him on heals. Some enemies that seem like they should be hard like wyverns or some of the bigger enemies are actually weak though. The recommended level thing is way out of whack.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

For those in chapter 3, meeting iris opens a few more side quests if you're running dry, but aren't ready to move on yet.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i've watched Brotherhood and I'm now watchin Kingsglaive as preparation... this will be loving Epic

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't know if it was scripted because of the hotel i stayed at or if it was because I nearly wiped to a bunch of couerls and the game decided it was a hard fought fight but prompto had a heart to heart on a roof that was supremely cool and he's the best char to me now.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 10, 2016

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Bolverkur posted:

i've watched Brotherhood and I'm now watchin Kingsglaive as preparation... this will be loving Epic

Kingsglaive is extremely epic.

I'm at 60 hours and just have the endest of endgame left now. Some pretty tough fights and dungeons here.

Are they gonna use this combat system in the ff7 remake as well?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't think there's been any details on the controls but the gameplay looks similar sans warp strike

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hah, one of your wishes comes true synthy, but I don't know how long this lasts.

travelling with iris

folder
Oct 9, 2016
I want to ride my chocobo all day!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
To the people who have beaten this game. Do the hot boys kiss or not? I need to know.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Uh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXJFbsQBvLw

What happened to Final Fantasy?

I remember the old games very fondly. I thought they were alright. Some of them were even good (some were really good.) Is that just nostalgia? Lower expectations of quality because I was an idiot child? Were FF games always bad?

In my opinion, in the early days of Final Fantasy each new game in the series built and improved off the ones preceeding it. Square seemed to learn from each game and make the next game better/more interesting in various ways. The constant improvements that came with each successive game meant that the world, the story, and the characters got more developed and interesting as the series progressed.

I could take the time to talk about every Final Fantasy. I could ramble on about the aspects of every game and how they grew and improved with each game but that would take forever and be :spergin: so the TL;DR is that the series started with composite characters with no real drives or any personality to speak of, a vague world, and an ultimate evil that came out of loving nowhere in FF1 and developed into a game with rich, well developed characters with their own drives and unique personalities, a deep and detailed world and history, a largely comprehensible story and plot, and a known villain with a history and purpose in FF6+

So what happened to Final Fantasy? Well, here's my diagnosis.

I feel the series really started to get its bearings with FF4 and reached its pinnacle with FF6, which is the best game in the series (fight me IRL.) And that the series loses its vision, goes off the rails, and completely jumps the shark with FF7. (There is a brief reprieve with FF9, the third best game in the series, before it goes right back to being either aggressively mediocre or downright lovely.)

If Final Fantasy VI is the first best and Final Fantasy IX is the third best what's the second best?
Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anyway, I think Final Fantasy VII is what happened to Final Fantasy. I could write up a long rear end rant about how FF7 not only sent the FF series into the toilet but also did irreparable damage to virtually all video games as a whole but I'm just going to keep it short and say that Square focused most of its energy and resources on making FF7 look as pretty and impressive as possible and the story, plot, and characters were obviously an afterthought. The game suffered for it, it really was not good and if you think it was you are wrong.

But, despite being not that good, FF7 was a commercial success. And because of FF7's massive popularity and profitability Square, along with almost the entire video game industry, embraced the trend of prioritizing graphics over actual substance with frankly depressing results.

Since FF7, the whole series has been getting progressively worse with each new game (with the exception of FF9. Also I have heard some good things about the MMO but. :shrug:) And Sqaure have made amazing design choices like padding out their games by adding in collectathon nonsense and nearly impossible to get ultimate weapons (gently caress dodging lightning.) Adding entire sections of "game play" solely designed to waste time. Where you spend actual hours of your life having no fun, doing nothing important, and not progressing the plot whatsoever. And adding in hours long battles, not boss battles, regular loving battles.

And Final Fantasy XV is shaping up to be the ultimate expression of meaningless, time wasting, unfun nonsense.

But hey, if you've got the time, check out Brainweasel's LP of FF X-2 because she makes a not good game look really good.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
seek help insane guy

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's not because we disagree on video games it's that it's not normal to do stuff like that I think

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The whole OP of my lovely thread.

Yes I posted that and I still feel like Final Fantasy has begun emphasizing graphics over characters and story and that that is why they haven't been as good lately.

I'm hearing a lot of claims that this game is going back to focusing on characters and having a coherent story. But I haven't checked it myself, I'm just saying what I've heard. If they have then this is a good sign.

Anyway, I'm not sure how pasting my OP from my dead thread lets me know if the boys kiss or not.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 11, 2016

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

You can hug a chocobo :kimchi:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This isnt a response to the weird ff thread guy above. Im just extremely happy that you can hug the giant birds

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can the aids guy please get out of this thread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Is FF Type-0 HD any good?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Just upgraded my drain lance. My dudes are getting swole. Also I'm getting decent at fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

When Prompto takes photos of Ignis driving, it looks like he's saying "this is loving awesome!"