Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the new york times site is so loving ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

this is rear end covering btw, dem votes for cloture don't mean poo poo if they don't add up to 60 total. all of the dem traitor votes are from deep red hellholes, most of which need to be defended in 2018

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/954582542585344001

whitey weisman

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Please quote and add your own comments, namaste

David Brooks: the Decline of Anti-Trumpism

Let me start with three inconvenient observations, based on dozens of conversations around Washington over the past year:

First, people who go into the White House to have a meeting with President Trump usually leave pleasantly surprised. They find that Trump is not the raving madman they expected from his tweetstorms or the media coverage. They generally say that he is affable, if repetitive. He runs a normal, good meeting and seems well-informed enough to get by.

Second, people who work in the Trump administration have wildly divergent views about their boss. Some think he is a deranged child, as Michael Wolff reported. But some think he is merely a distraction they can work around. Some think he is strange, but not impossible. Some genuinely admire Trump. Many filter out his crazy stuff and pretend it doesn’t exist.

My impression is that the Trump administration is an unhappy place to work, because there is a lot of infighting and often no direction from the top. But this is not an administration full of people itching to invoke the 25th Amendment.

:siren:Third, the White House is getting more professional. Imagine if Trump didn’t tweet.:siren: The craziness of the past weeks would be out of the way, and we’d see a White House that is briskly pursuing its goals: the shift in our Pakistan policy, the shift in our offshore drilling policy, the fruition of our ISIS policy, the nomination for judgeships and the formation of policies on infrastructure, DACA, North Korea and trade.

It’s almost as if there are two White Houses. There’s the Potemkin White House, which we tend to focus on: Trump berserk in front of the TV, the lawyers working the Russian investigation and the press operation. Then there is the Invisible White House that you never hear about, which is getting more effective at managing around the distracted boss.

I sometimes wonder if the Invisible White House has learned to use the Potemkin White House to deke us while it changes the country. [e- Yep, it's the he's so stupid he's a genius. David Brooks has now reached where stupid people on the internet were two years ago.

I mention these inconvenient observations because the anti-Trump movement, of which I’m a proud member, seems to be getting dumber. It seems to be settling into a smug, fairy tale version of reality that filters out discordant information. More anti-Trumpers seem to be telling themselves a “Madness of King George” narrative: Trump is a semiliterate madman surrounded by sycophants who are morally, intellectually and psychologically inferior to people like us.

I’d like to think it’s possible to be fervently anti-Trump while also not reducing everything to a fairy tale.

Kruger-Dunning falls in love with a black kettle and are on their way to David Brooks' swank condo with a shotgun
The anti-Trump movement suffers from insularity. Most of the people who detest Trump don’t know anybody who works with him or supports him. And if they do have friends and family members who admire Trump, they’ve learned not to talk about this subject. So they get most of their information about Trumpism from others who also detest Trumpism, which is always a recipe for epistemic closure.

The movement also suffers from lowbrowism. [Paragraph redacted: Brooks says it is vulgar and common to discuss the White House's vulgarity.]

We anti-Trumpers have our lowbrowism, too, mostly on late-night TV. But anti-Trump lowbrowism burst into full bloom with the Wolff book.

Wolff doesn’t pretend to adhere to normal journalistic standards. He happily admits that he’s just tossing out rumors that are too good to check. As Charlie Warzel wrote on BuzzFeed, “For Wolff’s book, the truth seems almost a secondary concern to what really matters: engagement.”

The ultimate test of the lowbrow is not whether it challenges you, teaches you or captures the contours of reality; it’s whether you feel an urge to share it on social media. [YEAH YOU FUCKIN' PEASANTS, DO YOU THING THE NEW YORK TIMES WOULD STOOP TO TRYING TO HARVEST CLICKS BY TROLLING?!?] Declasse, forsooth :monocle:

In every war, nations come to resemble their enemies, so I suppose it’s normal that the anti-Trump movement would come to resemble the pro-Trump movement. But it’s not good. I’ve noticed a lot of young people look at the monotonous daily hysteria of we anti-Trumpers and they find it silly.

This isn’t just a struggle over a president. It’s a struggle over what rules we’re going to play by after Trump. Are we all going to descend permanently into the Trump standard of acceptable behavior?

Or, are we going to restore the distinction between excellence and mediocrity, truth and a lie? Are we going to insist on the difference between a genuine expert and an ill-informed blowhard? Are we going to restore the distinction between those institutions like the Congressional Budget Office that operate by professional standards and speak with legitimate authority, and the propaganda mills that don’t?

There’s a hierarchy of excellence in every sphere. [Suggestion: thread title] There’s a huge difference between William F. Buckley and Sean Hannity, between the reporters at this newspaper and a rumor-spreader. Part of this struggle is to maintain those distinctions, not to contribute to their evisceration.

Words. I do not have them

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Nebakenezzer posted:

:siren:Third, the White House is getting more professional. Imagine if Trump didn’t tweet.:siren:

If Trump stopped tweeting the #NeverTrump conservatives would probably disappear overnight, along with half of the lib resistance. It's all about :decorum: for these idiots.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Nebakenezzer posted:

There’s a hierarchy of excellence in every sphere. [Suggestion: thread title] There’s a huge difference between William F. Buckley and Sean Hannity, between the reporters at this newspaper and a rumor-spreader. Part of this struggle is to maintain those distinctions, not to contribute to their evisceration.

*sighs deeply* more like william f. fuckley

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Omg Brooks is just jealous of the succsess of Fire and Fury isn't he

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Nebakenezzer posted:

William F. "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I'll sock you in your goddamn face, and you'll stay plastered." Buckley

A true patriot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/955179562492743682

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/955456721476096006

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lol who? i feel like i should know that

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

lol who? i feel like i should know that

bari weiss, probably? noted contrarian dishonest fuckwit whom even the tablet wouldn't have

the tablet being the right-wing jewish rag that ran interference for gorka like a year ago. "gee, how do you know this fella's REALLY a nazi?? listen to our anonymous source from within the white house who totally isn't gorka himself shut up"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AmirAminiMD/status/955079923919618049

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jose posted:

the new york times site is so loving ugly

what if, um, our website was organized like an old newspaper from 70 years ago??? thats cool right?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

bari weiss, probably? noted contrarian dishonest fuckwit whom even the tablet wouldn't have

the tablet being the right-wing jewish rag that ran interference for gorka like a year ago. "gee, how do you know this fella's REALLY a nazi?? listen to our anonymous source from within the white house who totally isn't gorka himself shut up"

yep it's Weiss

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
http://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/21/opinion/democrats-should-settle.html

Dems should throw Dreamers under the bus, because taking a stand for them might drive off the WHITE WORKING CLASS *honks, farts, shits self*

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

Dems should throw Dreamers under the bus, because taking a stand for them might drive off the WHITE WORKING CLASS *honks, farts, shits self*

Oh hey, I know what column a whole bunch of the cowards read. Seriously, what a useless party. The fact that even Nancy Pelosi, who is one of the most out of touch dems there is is calling this out should be a wake up call to these cucks.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

Main Paineframe posted:

DREAMERS are pretty easy to argue for and has strong support, this article is wholly based on attitudes towards immigrants as a whole.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...m=.272f3f845ef4

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guys is this the wrongest column ever?

quote:

Democrats Go for the Jugular! (Their Own)
[David Brooks]

David Brooks JAN. 22, 2018

The Republicans are led by a bigoted, incompetent president whose approval ratings are near historic lows. The Republicans in Congress embrace one unpopular policy option after another, so that all the signs pointed to a G.O.P. blood bath in the midterm elections.

All of this has left those of us in the pundit class with a frustrating problem. Obviously, the Democrats were going to find some way to screw this up. But no matter how much we pulled and stretched our imaginations, we couldn’t quite figure out how exactly they were going to do it.

Et Voilà!

In just one short week the Democrats have succeeded in failing with a brilliant five-part plan.

First, the Democrats embraced the always-promising Guy Fawkes option. The Republicans have tried to blow up the Congress and shut down the government several times over the past few decades. The strategy has failed every single time. The Ted Cruz shutdown of a few years ago managed to garner a pathetic 19 percent approval rating even when it was directed at a then very unpopular Obamacare.

Democrats looked at this unbroken string of self-immolation and concluded: Of course! This is what we should do! The problem, as always, is that the American people are, well, democrats. They believe that if a party wants to get its way, it should, you know, win an election or two, not blow the place up just because it lost.

Second, the Democrats focused all their energies on those all-important Michel Foucault swing voters. When Democrats get all excited, they go into a hypnotic trance and think the entire country is the Middlebury College faculty lounge. The American story is a story of systemic oppression. Since the cultural discourse that privileges white hegemony is the world’s single most important problem, of course it’s worth shutting down the entire government to take a stand on DACA.

It’s not that people don’t like DACA. They do. It’s that they just don’t recognize themselves in a party that thinks it’s worth closing the government, destabilizing the economy and straining the military for it.

Third, Democrats devised a brilliant Tao Te Ching messaging strategy. The ancient Chinese master informs us, “Being and not being create each other. … Before and after follow each other.” In this way, he teaches the paradoxical infinity of ultimate truth.

The Democrats captured this same paradoxical profundity with their superb messaging over the weekend: We bravely shut down the government to save the Dreamers even though Donald Trump is responsible for shutting down the government.

The ancient Chinese master bows in respect.

Fourth, the Democrats launched a series of devastating blitzkrieg assaults on themselves. Minutes after the Democratic leaders announced their capitulation, the entire left wing of the Democratic Party went into uproar. Kamala Harris was furious. Ezra Levin of the Indivisible Project called it “morally reprehensible and political malpractice.” I don’t even want to think about how many tears of rage must be streaming out of Cory Booker’s eyes.

But of course the problem was not that the leadership capitulated on Monday. It was that the Democrats talked themselves into this crazy position on Friday.

The Democrats are the party that believes in government. It doesn’t do them any good to make the federal government look dysfunctional. The Democrats are trying to defend a bunch of seats in red states. This immigration über alles strategy was never going to play well there. The Democratic presidential contenders are going to be a big problem for the Democratic Senate candidates.

Fifth, the Democrats have set themselves up brilliantly for future capitulation. Mitch McConnell had already promised Jeff Flake a DACA vote down the road. Now the Republicans get to hold it knowing that the Democrats are not going to want to walk into another shutdown buzz saw. Stephen Miller, Trump’s immigration aide, has always wanted to trade DACA in exchange for some onerous restrictions on legal immigration. Now it looks more likely he’s going to get them.

Democrats, when you lose a negotiation to a president who doesn’t know his own position, you’ve really impressed me.

It’s fitting that we had a government shutdown over the issue of immigration. Racially tinged conflict has been the defining feature of the Trump era. Most of the outrage has been caused by the president picking at the nation’s wounds. But by now both parties have racial identity wings, which believe that political life is inevitably a power competition between identity groups. Both parties build their coalitions by magnifying racial identity and exploiting racial difference.

But there are some of us who are uncomfortable with the whole identity-politics drill. We believe that while racism is the central stain on American history, racial conflict is not inevitable. By reducing inequalities, by integrating daily life, we can eventually make our common humanity more salient and our racial difference less so. We believe that America has already made strides in this direction and that it’s everyone’s responsibility to make racial diversity a creative spark and not a source of permanent hostility.

One of these days some party should pay attention to us folks.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

waaaaaah waaaaaah dont make me, a comfortable white baby boomer who should have choked on his own semen years ago, uncomfortable ever, you uppity POC

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
david brooks is a balding scold who holds up Strong Nuclear Families as the only path out of poverty and then left his wife for his secretary lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

When Democrats get all excited, they go into a hypnotic trance and think the entire country is the Middlebury College faculty lounge.

*proceeds to name-drop Guy Fawkes, Michel Foucalt, and Tao Te Ching*

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
it would be really funny if he got mugged or something, just the thought of his glasses being askew while his diaper fills up has me lol'n

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Shorter DB:

"[We] are uncomfortable with the whole identity-politics drill... Pay attention to us [rich white weenies that go on $50,000 vacations that are satisfying in an aesthetically tangible sense yet leave our soul feeling empty, who are also baby-boomer divorced Catholics with millennial second wives]"

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

First a column on how he's jealous somebody else wrote a best seller and now a column on how the democratic party isn't paying attention to him

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Over Easy posted:

Shorter DB:

"[We] are uncomfortable with the whole identity-politics drill... Pay attention to us [rich white weenies that go on $50,000 vacations that are satisfying in an aesthetically tangible sense yet leave our soul feeling empty, who are also baby-boomer divorced Catholics with millennial second wives]"

lol brooks is not Catholic

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

"Why do those DREAMERS get so much attention from the legislature? It is so vulgar, none of those people went to Yale"

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

GalacticAcid posted:

lol brooks is not Catholic

motherfucker, I could have sworn that I heard that he converted to Catholicism from Judaism for some series of reasons that added up to him enjoying the institutional nature of the church and his wife was catholic at the time

I believed that poo poo so hard

edit: not "you motherfucker" just "oh, this motherfucking situation is different than I thought"

Also, alright, I dug into it, and David Brooks teasing his messianic zone a bit back when he was doing the mega-vacations and having his my dinner with andre moment. here he is talking about how neat the idea of believing in jesus is. He did all this poo poo

quote:

“There’s something just awesome about seeing somebody stand up and imitate and live the non-negotiable truth of Jesus Christ,” Brooks told The Gathering, an annual meeting of evangelical Christian philanthropists, last October. He hardly hid his religiosity under a bushel there, telling the crowd, “I want you to know that I am for you and I love you,” he said, noting that he attends a Bible study class.

In the introduction to his new book, Brooks disclosed a personal reason for writing it: “I wrote it to save my soul.” Inspired by the authentic Christian joy of what he calls “incandescent souls,” Brooks decided to find out what makes them tick. Writing his book, The Road to Character, was his method.

Three people interviewed who know Brooks personally say he has taken steps to do just that. “I don’t know that he’s converting, but I know he’s gone to church,” one conservative associate said of Brooks. “No one knows where it’s going to go, but he’s not in the same spot as he was two years ago.”

Egg Moron has issued a correction as of 17:32 on Jan 23, 2018

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

I bet they have been waiting years to name drop Tao Te Ching and feel super smug about it

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

David Brooks posted:

The American story is a story of systemic oppression.

finally the nytimes prints the truth!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

there's so much to say about this

there's his perspective on the shutdown, which he apparently watched from the mirror universe where everything is opposite

there's his quiet admission that he just wants to reduce racial inequality, not eliminate it

and of course he finishes it up by insinuating that he'd just as happily vote GOP if they had better :decorum:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

david brooks is a republican

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I had to read and write on an old David Brooks column circa the Iraq War, and my conservative professor was concerned about how much I called him a hack idiot who's always wrong about everything - but she still gave me a good grade.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i took an "intro to political economy" course in undergrad and the professor assigned a couple chapters out of Lexus and the Olive Tree for one of the readings lmao

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

TRUTH

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Over Easy posted:

motherfucker, I could have sworn that I heard that he converted to Catholicism from Judaism for some series of reasons that added up to him enjoying the institutional nature of the church and his wife was catholic at the time

I believed that poo poo so hard

edit: not "you motherfucker" just "oh, this motherfucking situation is different than I thought"

Also, alright, I dug into it, and David Brooks teasing his messianic zone a bit back when he was doing the mega-vacations and having his my dinner with andre moment. here he is talking about how neat the idea of believing in jesus is. He did all this poo poo

So he’s treating Christianity as a fetish?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
crossposting from the zone du succ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

GalacticAcid posted:

crossposting from the zone du succ

Jaw dropping