Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

netbox: marry, gently caress, kill?

our network crew seems to love it. latest version spiffed the web UI up a bit.

personally im a fan because its URL search string is simple that ive added macros into my terminal to query it.

so if someone gives me a machine name and i dont know much about it. I can take the IP it resolves to and slam that into the netbox URL and hopefully get some context about what is and does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

110623_2
Nov 6, 2023
funny software on this router

110623_2
Nov 6, 2023

yummycheese posted:

our network crew seems to love it. latest version spiffed the web UI up a bit.

As-salamu alaykum!

111023_4
Nov 11, 2023
4 days later and nobody is talking about skyrocketing networking prices

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
im trying to figure out ipv6 poo poo on my home router and am loving how uninformative all the UX is. i configure pfsense LAN to track the WAN interface that is definitely getting an address, can see a router advertisement coming through and... have absolutely no feedback as to why the router is not picking up the advertised prefix and assigning addresses from it

go figure, i actually finally need it sorta, to help diagnose behavior for ipv6-only customers from a home lab

this is annoyingly complicated by my router inexplicably losing the ability to determine a media type correctly after boot. first negotiation properly selects gigabit and gets both family addresses, any attempt to release and renew after makes the interface flap constantly and somehow only get one address family at a time

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

im trying to figure out ipv6 poo poo on my home router and am loving how uninformative all the UX is. i configure pfsense LAN to track the WAN interface that is definitely getting an address, can see a router advertisement coming through and... have absolutely no feedback as to why the router is not picking up the advertised prefix and assigning addresses from it

go figure, i actually finally need it sorta, to help diagnose behavior for ipv6-only customers from a home lab

this is annoyingly complicated by my router inexplicably losing the ability to determine a media type correctly after boot. first negotiation properly selects gigabit and gets both family addresses, any attempt to release and renew after makes the interface flap constantly and somehow only get one address family at a time

which provider are you on?

sometimes you need to use various stupid tricks to get ipv6 to anything but the router -- sometimes 6rd, sometimes dhcp-pd

111023_4
Nov 11, 2023
various tricks to get lower prices :wiggle:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

nudgenudgetilt posted:

which provider are you on?

sometimes you need to use various stupid tricks to get ipv6 to anything but the router -- sometimes 6rd, sometimes dhcp-pd

webpass, so not a whole lot of info out there, especially for pfsense

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pretty sure they do dhcp-pd

make sure you have dhcpv6 turned on for your wan interface, not just slaac, then configure the lan interface to track the wan interface

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just got a new cage full of 20kw racks in kentucky

lets burn some coal!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

I was going to say I have a bunch of notes for going into stateless DHCP-RA in pfsense and setting it up that way, but this is for AT&T

Bruno_me
Dec 11, 2005

whoa

I'm on webpass, but using straight openbsd and wide-dhcpv6. SLAAC/router advertisements will only give your router information about its wan interface, your lan prefix comes from dhcpv6-pd. dunno how pfsense does it but dhcpv6-pd should just work (although when I first got connected I had to open a ticket because I wasn't getting any reponses to the solicit messages, and they had to fix something on their side. and their support techs seem to think dhcpv6 is only used for finding dns servers)

Bruno_me fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 11, 2023

111223_4
Nov 12, 2023
welcome to the high rollers lounge :fyadride:

111323_3
Nov 13, 2023
literally no one is doing anything to combat Price Increases

112423_5
Nov 25, 2023
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6DO_7px1I

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dec 2, 2023

Dec 10, 2023
running a 20 to 30 minute delay for the 3rd day in a row

121423_2
Dec 14, 2023
real sketchy poo poo goin on at bazaar tobacco

Porky
Dec 13, 2023

akadajet posted:

It's a bunch of windows services and asp.net sites tied to a big ol' self-hosted sql server instance. Maybe you could host it in Windows containers, but I was under the impression that k8s is really a linux game.

Please don’t bother trying to use windows nodes for k8s. Better to run wine containers than work around the limitations that come with windows node pools.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Porky posted:

Please don’t bother trying to use windows nodes for k8s. Better to run wine containers than work around the limitations that come with windows node pools.

wine containers? but I need to use WinRM

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i prefer boxes of wine

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

dont you need a gui for any kind of windows stuff anyway

its called windows not walls

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Progressive JPEG posted:

dont you need a gui for any kind of windows stuff anyway

its called windows not walls

but it feels like sweat drops down my balls

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
found an ebay seller dumping dual interface copper 10gig cards cheap, so i got 3 of those on the way. for now i only care about linking the two desktops and the epyc machine, so i won't need a switch till i build a new NAS

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'm thinking about going all fiber at the new place, with the exception of access points

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if i'm lucky enough to get into a house in '24 it's all glass all the time, yeah

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i have a couple years of penance left to pay, so i feel you on that.

nothing like having to make absurd offers like a year's rent as deposit to get anyone to talk to you about renting

121723_3
Dec 18, 2023

Porky posted:

121723_3
Dec 18, 2023
wine limitations

121723_3
Dec 18, 2023

Nomnom Cookie posted:

wine containers? but I need to use WinRM

121723_3
Dec 18, 2023

Armitag3 posted:

but it feels like sweat drops down my balls

121723_3
Dec 18, 2023

Jonny 290 posted:

all glass all the time yeah!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

guy on my team is on like week 3 of trying to get msbuild working with .sqlproj stuff because some dev team is tired of deploying to production from their laptops. afaict no one at Microsoft has actually tried to do this without having visual studio installed, so containerizing this poo poo is fun

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Nomnom Cookie posted:

guy on my team is on like week 3 of trying to get msbuild working with .sqlproj stuff because some dev team is tired of deploying to production from their laptops. afaict no one at Microsoft has actually tried to do this without having visual studio installed, so containerizing this poo poo is fun

this might be helpful but it doesn't use msbuild: https://github.com/microsoft/azure-pipelines-tasks/blob/master/Tasks/SqlAzureDacpacDeploymentV1/README.md

sqlpackage IS cross-platform ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

what kind of fiber cables is correct for a short distance, say 20 meters or less? both in terms of the ends to use and the wavelength for the transceivers

i assume the cable style to use would be this, paired with some sfp transceivers:

wanting to connect a garage to a house in a few months, targeting 10gbit because why not, but fine with going overkill to avoid needing early replacement. i assume trying to shove a prebuilt SFP cable through conduit is Incorrect

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

what kind of fiber cables is correct for a short distance, say 20 meters or less? both in terms of the ends to use and the wavelength for the transceivers

i assume the cable style to use would be this, paired with some sfp transceivers:

wanting to connect a garage to a house in a few months, targeting 10gbit because why not, but fine with going overkill to avoid needing early replacement. i assume trying to shove a prebuilt SFP cable through conduit is Incorrect

LC to LC multi-mode fiber is what you want for ten gig. they do 10GBASE-SR at 850nm, up to a few hundred metres. and yeah you don't want to use a direct-attach cable, those are meant for connections within the same rack basically. you could get away with active optical cables at 20 metres but they're more expensive than just buying the fibre and transcievers separately.

cables: https://www.fs.com/products/41734.html
SFP+ transcievers: https://www.fs.com/products/11552.html (choose whatever brand your devices are for compatibility)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

why bother with mm when single mode is so cheap and forward compatible

run some os2, terminate with lc, forget about it

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

FormatAmerica posted:

this might be helpful but it doesn't use msbuild: https://github.com/microsoft/azure-pipelines-tasks/blob/master/Tasks/SqlAzureDacpacDeploymentV1/README.md

sqlpackage IS cross-platform ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

he’s gotta build the dacpac though and afaik that needs msbuild on the sqlproj

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Nomnom Cookie posted:

he’s gotta build the dacpac though and afaik that needs msbuild on the sqlproj

there's effort underway to change this - it's not up to feature parity yet afaik though: https://github.com/microsoft/DacFx

we build on an actual windows machine though and use sqlpackage to deploy so i haven't used it yet

this guy covers dacfx a bit: https://erikej.github.io/ssdt/dotnet/2022/03/07/ssdt-dacpac-netcore.html

Cold on a Cob fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

1 gbps is enough for your home you nerds

if you “need” 10 gig just run 10gbase-t so you at least your house will look normal with normal ethernet jacks