Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
MikroTik is the answer these days if you’re not going all the way to say Cisco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

eschaton posted:

fs.com has some interesting choices as well at very good price points. But I'd rather go mikrotik if I had the choice.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

eschaton posted:

SwitchOS/RouterOS is not exactly great, but I trust Mikrotik a lot further than I do Ubiquiti.

I need to poke my Extreme rep and go SPB fabric at home. gently caress this stone age bullshit. 802.1aq is the future :eng101:

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I picked up Mikrotik's Wireless Wire and have been really happy with it, I have it mounted outside and it has preformed well throughout the winter. I think the product code is RBwAPG-60ad. Have been looking at their routers/AP for an eventual purchase but not there just yet.

e: Was looking for Zabbix template for it but wasn't able to find one, thinking I might put in the time to make one, maybe.

digitalist fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 9, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Wibla posted:

SwitchOS/RouterOS is not exactly great, but I trust Mikrotik a lot further than I do Ubiquiti.

It was quite jaring coming from a Cisco/CatOS/Juniper background. But it works. Meh.

Fortunately I don't have to interact with it much because those little boxes just work once they're configured. It's really hard to beat therm from a price/feature standpoint.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I like Microtik's hardware, but their OS is really oddly laid out and annoying to manage, Ubiquiti's router OS at least feels like a more classic router or like PFSense or OPNSense

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Mikrotiks CLI while not amazing is a lot faster to use than their GUI once you get a handle on it. Did you ever manage an Cisco fw via java app? Dumpster fire.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Aware posted:

Did you ever manage an Cisco fw via java app? Dumpster fire.

Not just the UI, but trying to get it to actually work was always a nightmare on the PIX divining the proper java version(s) and browser. And I did it repeatedly for years and multiple sites because the clients had this idea that maybe they'd want to administer this themselves some day and wanted the GUI. Almost any CLI commande will break the GUI sometimes in obvious ways, sometimes in silent ways, so I was stuck using the GUI.

At least using the CLI on Mikrotik doesn't break the GUI.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
FWIW 10-gig networking isn’t as far off as you might think.

The Dell Force10 S4810 switch on eBay runs $200-250 and provides 48 ports of SFP+ and four 40g uplinks. I doubt you’ll have a need for all 48 ports but I like it because I can space out my transceivers across the ports to keep them cool. I use four SFP+/RJ45 adapters and, with spacing, they stay cool to the touch.

I’ve been using this switch for years and it’s been a solid piece of kit in my home lab, running two TrueNAS boxes and three ESX boxes over five ConnextX-3 dual-port HBAs and four RJ45 links across my cat5e home cabling to other switches throughout the house. It does layer three switching and SNMP monitoring and the CLI is Cisco-like with some small variances.

For added home lab fun, I unplugged and removed the 40mm cooling fans and cut a 140mm hole on the top of the chassis for a single big fan for a much quieter experience.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
There's also some Ruckus/Brocade gear that works real well, there is a "license" for stuff like 10G and L3 support on some models but in later versions of the EOL firmware they added a "yeah totally bro trust me" command to the licensing that enables everything. Ran my whole environment off of it until I did some time working for a vandor and enjoyed the spoils of NFR gear.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
What's the cheapest way to get a homelab Kubernetes cluster up and running these days? I'm comfortable with PXE/netboot so I don't really care about storage whatsoever, I'm just looking for 4-8 dirt cheap hardware nodes on some well-supported architecture. I could even do without video output if the serial console is decent (though I would prefer not to, because it's a pain in the rear end). CPU speed is less important than memory capacity, within reason.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

What are your storage requirements and noise/heat tolerance? Do you need spinning disks at all? Do you have an interconnect in mind already?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Vulture Culture posted:

What's the cheapest way to get a homelab Kubernetes cluster up and running these days? I'm comfortable with PXE/netboot so I don't really care about storage whatsoever, I'm just looking for 4-8 dirt cheap hardware nodes on some well-supported architecture. I could even do without video output if the serial console is decent (though I would prefer not to, because it's a pain in the rear end). CPU speed is less important than memory capacity, within reason.

I set up a Talos play cluster on four Lenovo m93p i7/16g/256g nodes. Headless thanks to vPro IME (though I did need to buy dummy Displayport dongles).

Probably not the most energy efficient approach, but they're about as dirt cheap and space saving as you'll get IMO.

If I had to do it again I might spend a little more for units that can be upgraded to 10gig via pcie but that's neither here nor there because this is just a junk throwaway lab that gets re-installed every other month as I learn something new.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?

Vulture Culture posted:

Not strictly within the teams of self-hosted but it is possible to run a 2 or 4 node K8S cluster on Oracle Cloud within their always free tier. They give you 4 CPUs and 24GB of RAM on their ARM64 machines for this and you can divide it up how you like, I have a 4 node cluster that’s been running for a few years now and it hasn’t cost me anything. You also get ancillary stuff like a load balancer, s3 equivalent storage, and some database access as well.

its Oracle so who knows when the rug will be pulled but its been perfect for me.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

What are your storage requirements and noise/heat tolerance? Do you need spinning disks at all? Do you have an interconnect in mind already?
Zero storage requirements as long as the systems are netboot-capable, gigabit Ethernet is fine. I've got an old i7 running ZFS and serving iPXE from DHCPd, though I might move to provisioning with MAAS. I have basically no performance requirements besides leaving a huge amount of stuff idly running all the time. I have a bunch of old N3700 Intel NUCs that are getting kind of long in the tooth and flaking out. I don't really need to go much heavier in terms of horsepower.

Mr Crucial posted:

Not strictly within the teams of self-hosted but it is possible to run a 2 or 4 node K8S cluster on Oracle Cloud within their always free tier. They give you 4 CPUs and 24GB of RAM on their ARM64 machines for this and you can divide it up how you like, I have a 4 node cluster that’s been running for a few years now and it hasn’t cost me anything. You also get ancillary stuff like a load balancer, s3 equivalent storage, and some database access as well.

its Oracle so who knows when the rug will be pulled but its been perfect for me.
This is an interesting option and it's not my first choice but I'll definitely look into it

some kinda jackal posted:

I set up a Talos play cluster on four Lenovo m93p i7/16g/256g nodes. Headless thanks to vPro IME (though I did need to buy dummy Displayport dongles).

Probably not the most energy efficient approach, but they're about as dirt cheap and space saving as you'll get IMO.

If I had to do it again I might spend a little more for units that can be upgraded to 10gig via pcie but that's neither here nor there because this is just a junk throwaway lab that gets re-installed every other month as I learn something new.
I'm honestly kind of astonished at the price and ubiquity of this highly specific thing compared to, like, an Intel NUC. I'll certainly consider it if I can't find anything smaller

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 29, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Scruff McGruff posted:

I've been very much enjoying my PiKVM. I haven't had to use it a whole lot but the couple of times I needed it I was really glad I had it so I didn't have to go crawling around behind my rack to try and find my monitor's VGA cable and then try to get it to the right server.

Oh, so this is how they do it: Waveshare HDMI to CSI Camera Adapter $33.

Send the HDMI bits in through the CSI camera port, then use the GPU H.264 hardware to compress. Use USB OTG to fake the mouse, keyboard, usb drives. That's pretty cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Agrikk posted:

FWIW 10-gig networking isn’t as far off as you might think.

The Dell Force10 S4810 switch on eBay runs $200-250 and provides 48 ports of SFP+ and four 40g uplinks. I doubt you’ll have a need for all 48 ports but I like it because I can space out my transceivers across the ports to keep them cool. I use four SFP+/RJ45 adapters and, with spacing, they stay cool to the touch.

I’ve been using this switch for years and it’s been a solid piece of kit in my home lab, running two TrueNAS boxes and three ESX boxes over five ConnextX-3 dual-port HBAs and four RJ45 links across my cat5e home cabling to other switches throughout the house. It does layer three switching and SNMP monitoring and the CLI is Cisco-like with some small variances.

For added home lab fun, I unplugged and removed the 40mm cooling fans and cut a 140mm hole on the top of the chassis for a single big fan for a much quieter experience.

I really like Dell's switchgear, I have a couple Force10s.

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm honestly kind of astonished at the price and ubiquity of this highly specific thing compared to, like, an Intel NUC. I'll certainly consider it if I can't find anything smaller

Intel NUCs, while nice, are vastly overpriced for what they are. Dell/Lenovo/HP Micro Form Factors are incredibly cheap, upgrade-able (usually have socketed CPUs and DIMMs), and generally are not much more power hungry.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 30, 2024

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vulture Culture posted:

Any reason you don't want to virtualize this?

I've got a 5 node practice cluster set up that's provisioned with opentofu and cloud-init on proxmox. So if I gently caress up I can tear it down and rebuild the whole thing in about 5 minutes.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

As I’ve been reading docs and researching things and the best, low touch way to do everything I’d like to do, it’s starting to dawn on me that maybe my old gaming computer (i7-7700k + GTX 1070ftw + 32gb ddr4) is going to be way more than I really need, but I don’t really know for sure, and I won’t have a way to really test it fully until I finish researching setting up a PoE network. All I am really planning on hosting is

1.) 5-7 IP cameras with that interface with Shinobi, zoneminder, or if I go the proxmox route, blue iris in a windows VM. Preferably with object detection, tho I still haven’t figured out if the cameras that have on board motion detection can even interface with any of the above
2.) 2 icloudpd instances to back up me and my wife’s iCloud’s
3.) plex with transcoding for an absolute maximum of maybe 5 remote viewers and 3 local viewers concurrently
4.) pihole, although I’ll probably just go the network appliance route with opnsense and let that handle that side of things
5.) maybe a minecraft server and/or a valheim server with a max of 4-6 users concurrently. This would be cool but isn’t required, especially if it starts to choke out other services

I keep seeing posts on various platforms of people hosting proxmox VMs or a dozen heavy docker containers from a RPi stuffed in a shoebox, and my original intent was to use the Nvidia docker stuff to share the GPU between plex and the NVR software, but it seems that might not be a great solution, and proxmox doesn’t seem to support it. I also know that Plex runs mostly fine, if a little sluggish under higher load, from my Synology ds920+, and that thing just has a little celeron and like 8gb of ram. I’d also love to be able to give my brother the 1070 if the 7700k can handle everything on its own, since his birthday is coming up and the fella is currently playing helldivers on an ancient gtx 960 lol.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
iirc, you want an 8000 series intel chip because i think that was the generation that had a large jump in QuickSync quality? maybe i'm wrong about that...

e: might not be an issue for your purposes, though, if you are currently getting by with software encoding on lesser chips

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Kibner posted:

iirc, you want an 8000 series intel chip because i think that was the generation that had a large jump in QuickSync quality? maybe i'm wrong about that...

e: might not be an issue for your purposes, though, if you are currently getting by with software encoding on lesser chips

The DS920+ does have an iGPU that I exposed to plex from the docker-compose file, but I think the 7700k also has an iGPU. Looks like the Synology is a Intel Celeron J4125 with 4GB ram, not 8GB as well

But ya I haven’t really kept up on hardware since I built in 2017. I didn’t realise 6 cores was the minimum on low end CPUs until I started shopping for upgrades :v:

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Quicksync really changed the game for transcoding. The Intel N100 is really great and will have no problems as a Plex box CPU and is also very low power if you're looking for something more recent.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
A former coworker’s friend passed away recently and his family asked me to help with moving some of his homelab. There’s a web app he wrote for his family for sharing family photos and videos. It’s hosted on DigitalOcean and it’s running on a really old Ubuntu 16.04. It is backed by an AWS RDS MySQL database (also an old version that is now in extended support) and it’s on one of those tiny instances that is being phased out. Apparently the price jumped from ~$12/mo to some insane amount around $150/mo. They want to move it a Proxmox VM in his homelab in the house. From what I can gather it’s a CakePHP app. I know nothing about PHP. I also know nothing about MySQL other than the basics of running a Wordpress or similar apps that handle everything after I put in the DB info.

The most pressing matter of course is the RDS racking up a huge monthly bill. How would I go about moving that to a Proxmox VM? I did a quick look through the AWS RDS console and didn’t see any options to export a SQL dump but I assume I could just do it manually by connecting to the instance. Going to install a newer version of MySQL or MariaDB in a VM and just import the SQL dump. Would that work?

Second is how do I move the PHP web app. I was thinking just doing a clone of the instance but is that possible to do with a VPS? Could I just run DD on the disk and clone it that way? The app can run on their LAN so I’m not worried about security at the moment.

I have full access to all his infrastructure both in the home and in the cloud. He has some very outdated documentation so that doesn’t help. And a friendly reminder to everyone: update your documentation and have things in place if something happens to you.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

bsaber posted:

The most pressing matter of course is the RDS racking up a huge monthly bill. How would I go about moving that to a Proxmox VM? I did a quick look through the AWS RDS console and didn’t see any options to export a SQL dump but I assume I could just do it manually by connecting to the instance. Going to install a newer version of MySQL or MariaDB in a VM and just import the SQL dump. Would that work?

Yup! mysqldump is the way to do it. Be sure to take a snapshot of the DB in RDS before you do anything destructive to it as well, so that you have a backup that is easy to restore from. That snapshot is only useful in AWS, of course.

bsaber posted:

Second is how do I move the PHP web app. I was thinking just doing a clone of the instance but is that possible to do with a VPS? Could I just run DD on the disk and clone it that way? The app can run on their LAN so I’m not worried about security at the moment.

I have full access to all his infrastructure both in the home and in the cloud. He has some very outdated documentation so that doesn’t help. And a friendly reminder to everyone: update your documentation and have things in place if something happens to you.

I would just scp the code. I mean really it should be in version control and you are just doing a git clone on the new machine. Just tar.gz the directory and scp it over. I wouldn't mess with cloning the entire disk of the VPS, that sounds like it would be a hassle to actually get running in proxmox.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I know this isn't in the spirit of the question, but if I were in your shoes I would suggest that they just get a common dropbox or google drive and share their photos and vids through a less homebrew, more supported vehicle. You can certainly still help them move the content over in some way, but I think that would be setting them up for longer term success than moving some unknown code.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

fletcher posted:

Yup! mysqldump is the way to do it. Be sure to take a snapshot of the DB in RDS before you do anything destructive to it as well, so that you have a backup that is easy to restore from. That snapshot is only useful in AWS, of course.

I would just scp the code. I mean really it should be in version control and you are just doing a git clone on the new machine. Just tar.gz the directory and scp it over. I wouldn't mess with cloning the entire disk of the VPS, that sounds like it would be a hassle to actually get running in proxmox.

Good call on making a snapshot first. Will definitely do that.

Unfortunately to my knowledge the only copy of the code is on the server. I found an zip file that has a copy of the code but it looks MUCH older than what is on the server. I tried to copy the code over and get it running on a new Debian 12 install but couldn't get it running. Probably because it's running such old version? Or maybe I'm just ignorant to PHP/CakePHP and how to get it running. That's the only reason I was thinking of cloning the whole VPS.

I know this isn't in the spirit of the question, but if I were in your shoes I would suggest that they just get a common dropbox or google drive and share their photos and vids through a less homebrew, more supported vehicle. You can certainly still help them move the content over in some way, but I think that would be setting them up for longer term success than moving some unknown code.

Oh for sure. The former coworker that roped me in will handle that but at the moment the monthly cost is a bit... much.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

bsaber posted:

And a friendly reminder to everyone: update your documentation and have things in place if something happens to you.
Good reminder now that I'm middle-aged. I think I'll just stick to making it easy to turn off any automation stuff I've done and not have anything I host be necessary for my family. I plan on getting the home heating system hooked into Home Assistant over the summer, but I'm definitely going to have a big old switch on the wall to change it back to non-automated.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

bsaber posted:

Good call on making a snapshot first. Will definitely do that.

Unfortunately to my knowledge the only copy of the code is on the server. I found an zip file that has a copy of the code but it looks MUCH older than what is on the server. I tried to copy the code over and get it running on a new Debian 12 install but couldn't get it running. Probably because it's running such old version? Or maybe I'm just ignorant to PHP/CakePHP and how to get it running. That's the only reason I was thinking of cloning the whole VPS.

Oh for sure. The former coworker that roped me in will handle that but at the moment the monthly cost is a bit... much.

I mean you could try using the same old version of the OS it's been running on if you don't want to take on updating that part. Probably some other dependencies that need to be installed too, apt list of the installed packages can help figure out what to install. Probably some minor to major code updates needed too in order to get it running on a newer version of MySQL and PHP.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
I haven’t tried it yet but would I be able to install the old versions of the packages running on Ubuntu 16.04? Are the repos still online? Guess I can try that this weekend.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Good lord Facebook marketplace is dangerous to browse. There’s a few Proliant DL160 Gen9 with 2x Xeon E5-2620v4’s and 128gb of ram and quad port 1gb NICs for $200

I was just looking for used half racks :negative:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Get three, they're fine for a few more years.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The specs the guy sent me says it has (2) 550w PSUs; is this thing actually using a kWh, or did he mistype that? I legit wouldn’t be able to swing a $151 increase in my electric bill, tho I guess it would never be under full load

Idk it seems too good to be true. There’s gotta be a catch here lol

Edit: ok I found the spec sheet from HP, and god drat I guess it makes more sense to buy this, use my current 7700k with some NICs for the security appliance, and then give my brother the GPU. The system I have is a 650w PSU lol.

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jun 3, 2024

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Computers don't draw the full load from their power supplies at all times, that's just the rated maximum. That CPU has an 85W TDP which doesn't exactly mean how much power it will use but I'd guess you won't get more than 200W total draw for the two CPUs and motherboard even maxed out. Probably less when they clock down due to not being fully loaded. Beyond that is mostly HDDs and they tend to use a little more power when spinning up.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/sku/92986/intel-xeon-processor-e52620-v4-20m-cache-2-10-ghz/specifications.html

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The specs the guy sent me says it has (2) 550w PSUs; is this thing actually using a kWh, or did he mistype that? I legit wouldn’t be able to swing a $151 increase in my electric bill, tho I guess it would never be under full load

Idk it seems too good to be true. There’s gotta be a catch here lol

Edit: ok I found the spec sheet from HP, and god drat I guess it makes more sense to buy this, use my current 7700k with some NICs for the security appliance, and then give my brother the GPU. The system I have is a 650w PSU lol.

As Rexxed said - those are most likely going to operate in redundant mode, they won't normally max out even one of the PSUs normally unless you add a bunch of GPUs.

Example - My R730 only uses one of its 800w PSUs at any one time, and is only drawing ~300 watts from it nominally. The Dual PSUs are usually on separate power connections in a datacenter, so an A and a B power, so that if one fails the remaining PSU can take the entire server load without issue on single power rail.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

you folks are bad influences smh

Gonna pick it up tonight :toot:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 3, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Recycled ewaste acquired :getin:

Now to find a 1u or 2u rack case to throw my i7 board into and I got me a firewall appliance

Gonna see if work is scrapping any racks while I’m at it lol

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Every time someone says the word firewall I remember that my UDM-PRO exists only by the sheer grace of inertia and that it's "just good enough" to keep me from actively spending money and time replacing it with something I actually like.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Every time someone says the word firewall I remember that my UDM-PRO exists only by the sheer grace of inertia and that it's "just good enough" to keep me from actively spending money and time replacing it with something I actually like.

Unless you have phat wan pipes, udm-pro has still enough grunt for the average homelab. I'm getting a bpi-r4 in a few days just cause i'm pissed at ubnt, their router stock is close to none and they are incredibly pricy for sorta old kit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, the UDM-PRO hate on my side has nothing to do with the hardware, and is entirely based on the OS itself.

If I could blow it away and install opnsense or something, I would in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just got a cloud gateway ultra and it's good. But I don't really hate Ubiquiti so idk.