Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tiny Timbs posted:

I'd suggest that it's different if you get harvested by monsters but that'd just be guessing.

Would be pretty funny if Boyd's wife turned out to have been right and murdering everyone sent them home. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That was exactly the thought I had, lol

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Someone on reddit pointed out that the white space in the St. Anthony’s logo pretty much matches the symbol. Which means nothing maybe.

Tiny Timbs posted:

That was exactly the thought I had, lol

Once again, murder is always the answer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Seems like hundreds of people have died in the town over the decades. Would be a big deal in the real world if hundreds of people who vanished suddenly just reappear under mysterious circumstances months later and are all telling the exact same story about a creepy horror town. Mulder and Scully would be on the case and someone from the current characters would have heard about it somewhere.

Like, one or two people making it out over the years would make sense(like the bus driver's grandma who taught her the nursery rhyme). But not hundreds.

At a minimum I would imagine Victor’s sister has been an insane vagrant in that town since the 70s so that there are enough parallels with Victor for Tabitha to be able to recognize her, even though that doesn’t really make sense. Maybe she’ll just be a doctor or run a homeless shelter there or something. Although Tabitha should be able to just pick up her old life and run her search from home with her own resources, unless like 50 years have passed on the outside or she’s gone a decade into the past or something (it’s been like 10 days if time is the same inside and outside, barely enough time for anyone to know that they’re gone if they were on vacation). Maybe she will just act like she has no resources and can’t leave the town without the show ever telling us why.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
My money is 100% on sister made it out, presumably mom in some way taking the hit or distracting whatever deadly forces so daughter could get away.

I'm 50/50 on whether sister will be a local crazy long dismissed nobody believing her story or if Tabitha tracks her down and she's long suppressed and dismissed it all as traumatic delusion or otherwise is extremely reluctant to go back or gently caress with it at all.

0% chance it's all in Tabitha's dream or any poo poo like that. Nobody wants that, not interesting in the least with this setup so far.

Did just read an interview where they explicitly mentioned being traumatized by Lost and we're going into it with answers, in ten episode bursts. Up in the air now, but seems like they are very consciously trying to not Lost themselves.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Captured children possibly being used in a ritual in a dark tower gives me big, erm, Dark Tower vibes.

Was pretty down on the season overall but did like the finale and what it points to. Seems like it's definitely a standard good v evil supernatural horror story rather than some twisty alien escape room, which I'm quite glad about tbh.

Dick Swiveller
Mar 2, 2011

I was the poster who suggested 'oncology' and the second the kids were laid out in a circle on (hospital) beds made of rock I was like 'ah yep there you go', and Tabitha waking up in hospital therefore felt about right.

If anghkooey is anthony instead of oncology then this will count, technically, as the writers being a step ahead of me.

I'm usually pretty dog poo poo at theorycrafting so I'm going to hold onto this one scrap long after I'm proven wrong, twist my entire reading to suit it and thoroughly ruin the show for myself, if it gets a third season.

All the beats that aren't about meting out mystery details have felt pretty perfunctory I reckon so hopefully that register of the writing, as well as pacing, tighten up. The idea that they were making this season on a tight schedule feels pretty correct imo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dick Swiveller posted:

If anghkooey is anthony instead of oncology then this will count, technically, as the writers being a step ahead of me.

Who’s Anthony? I’m bad with names in this show

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Glad we're at the "moving the frozen donkey wheel gets you off the island/Kate, we have to go back!" portion of the tribute band playlist.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Who’s Anthony? I’m bad with names in this show

The hospital is saint Anthony’s

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
From Season 3: I gotta go (back)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
They haven’t even announced S3 yet and S2 is already over. Don’t they usually announce new seasons ahead of time?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

They haven’t even announced S3 yet and S2 is already over. Don’t they usually announce new seasons ahead of time?

They need to wait long enough to see if MGM+ is going to last to the end of the month.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's a writers strike + almost every streaming outlet regrets it and I'd trying to see if someone else will please buy their crap instead.

Even if they had announced it, even if they had already finished it, doesn't mean we actually get to see it.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
According to some Canadian trades, they were supposed to begin filming in July and end in December.

Of course that's not happening anymore.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
The set of the town is still there; it's just up the road from me. You can see colony house from the distance.

The last scene with Tabitha looking out the hospital window is weird. There appears to be an old-time ambulance in the parking lot of the hospital directly below, and a car parked in the bay below. But the hospital equipment seems mostly up to date. Also, her reflection didn't look like her, but maybe that was just me.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Overall, I enjoyed season 2, but I have same issues as many of you (certain characters acting very amateurish, pacing, the writing at times). I kind of wished they would have killed off several of the main characters, because some of they are annoying. Despite all that I think they nailed the final episode in the way they wanted to (get people to come back for season 3). So, despite a bumpy journey this season, it was well worth the watch and looking forward to season 3. I think next season I will wait to watch until the week before the finale (I just think it works better binging) but given the strike and no word on season 3 yet, my mind may change by the time (if) it rolls around again.

Argue posted:

I hope she's out for real because it's much more rare to see stories of people trapped in a magical location while someone on the outside tries to solve the mystery with resources they couldn't get on the inside; revealing that they're actually still trapped, just in a different way from usual, is a pretty common horror trope, I think, so I'm kind of tired of that.

My first thoughts after the finale was would she see anyone else from town in this new reality. Honestly it would be lame if death was the way out and she saw the priest for example. That would mean she has to go back and convince everyone to kill themselves. I don't see the show going in that direction. My last thought (which I think will happen), is she going to spend all of season 3 trying to figure out how to go back. I can see her retracing the route the RV took over and over in hopes of seeing the tree. Kind of reminds me of a certain thing that happens in my avatar.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I bet she’ll run into Victor’s sister, assuming she got out alive. Victor didn’t mention what happened to her so it’s up in the air if she survived.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She's deffo alive and either a local crazy loon or doing her best to not drudge up that old trauma.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Boris Galerkin posted:

I bet she’ll run into Victor’s sister, assuming she got out alive. Victor didn’t mention what happened to her so it’s up in the air if she survived.

She's the doctor treating Tabitha

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm guessing the end of episode one is Tabitha being presented with the belongings she had when she was found and it includes Victor's lunchbox, both proving to her and the viewers that the events in Fromville are real.

Then she eventually uses the lunchbox to prove to Victor's sister that she knows him and he's still alive.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

She has that weeble or whatever it is that Victor pulled out of his coat, right? The one that the sister originally had?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Huh, I don't remember her having Victors lunchbox?

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Khanstant posted:

Huh, I don't remember her having Victors lunchbox?

Yeah, he packed her some snacks in the lunchbox and sent her through the faraway tree

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Ah okay, definitely coming back up then.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So are we expecting anything from the bile bullets? Or was that whole thing just a pointless plot?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

So are we expecting anything from the bile bullets? Or was that whole thing just a pointless plot?

"So much for silver bullets" was all the payoff that one got haha.
Guess it's just confirming that the worms killing that one was not a tool in their arsenal, but just a byproduct of releasing Worse Monster™

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I apparently can't push down the urge to only watch mystery box trapped-in-a-town shows, so I started Wayward Pines. It's not great and also does something that Lost and From certainly didn't do. They answer the mystery in full with a huge exposition dump in episode 5. I was pretty baffled and will at least finish the first season but it made me realize I'm a sucker for how drawn out Lost was and From is proving to be.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I apparently can't push down the urge to only watch mystery box trapped-in-a-town shows, so I started Wayward Pines. It's not great and also does something that Lost and From certainly didn't do. They answer the mystery in full with a huge exposition dump in episode 5. I was pretty baffled and will at least finish the first season but it made me realize I'm a sucker for how drawn out Lost was and From is proving to be.

I just looked that up and, wow, that's a really weird decision. I guess, because it's based on a book, that they did it to keep the reveal in the same place within the story, but there are things that work in a novel that just don't in a TV show. You either let the audience in on it from the beginning, or you save the reveal for at least the end of the first season. I cannot imagine that getting to episode five and then going "actually here's what's really going on" worked in any way - although apparently the show did get a second season so... :shrug:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Tiggum posted:

I just looked that up and, wow, that's a really weird decision. I guess, because it's based on a book, that they did it to keep the reveal in the same place within the story, but there are things that work in a novel that just don't in a TV show. You either let the audience in on it from the beginning, or you save the reveal for at least the end of the first season. I cannot imagine that getting to episode five and then going "actually here's what's really going on" worked in any way - although apparently the show did get a second season so... :shrug:

I will at least finish the first season to see where this goes, but yeah it was really weird to have the barest of breadcrumbs and then a whole episode of exposition dumping fully explaining the mystery in the middle of the season.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

You can treat it as a single season limited series. Like Westworld.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kingtheninja posted:

Gave them hope and hope feeds the monster

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Gave them hope and hope feeds the monster

Seems weird to have such a specific and complex human emotion as their energy source. At least Monsters Inc. kept it simple, with “scream“ and “laughter“.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Same issue Silo is facing, but they opted to go the other way and just stretch everything to infinity.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Chicken Butt posted:

Seems weird to have such a specific and complex human emotion as their energy source. At least Monsters Inc. kept it simple, with “scream“ and “laughter“.

it's one of the strongest emotions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya-wSF-8w-E

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Is it that they feed on hope, or that they need there to be hope or everyone just offs themselves depriving them of whatever they need.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I wonder if they’re gonna keep the kid that played the son next season if there even is a next season or if they’re gonna cast someone that looks age appropriate.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I hope they just keep mentioning how he's somewhere off screen every episode and we just never see him again

Julie go tell your brother dinner is ready

Jim, I just saw your son throwing bottles at people, get that kid under control man

Sorry Boyd, he's just been emotionally absent since his mom vanished

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chicken Butt posted:

It can make a printer appear before your feet from two miles away. It's the most powerful human emotion. I'm sure a demon can get fed from it.

xerxus posted:

Is it that they feed on hope, or that they need there to be hope or everyone just offs themselves depriving them of whatever they need.

Building up people's hopes just to crush them is a thing sadists do. Someone who has checked out mentally and has nothing and no one to lose is probably not very fun to torture(psychologically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
“Oh no the monsters got Ethan but he’s ok, he’s just fifteen now and looks and sounds different.”

*voice audibly cracking* “It’s the cromenockle!!”