Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

godogg
Dec 29, 2008

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I got brutalized by the black deck for about 20 runs before I beat it. The early game was just loving brutal every time

Ain't it the truth. I've had bad beats on the first Ante with all the decks, but Black is hateful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

What a weird run with the Zodiac Deck. Just constantly buying and selling random Jokers, Tarot cards, and Planet cards from the shop for big multipliers for a Campfire (with a second obtained through an Invisible Joker) and a Constellation (who was supported by an Astronomer for most of the early-mid game for free planets), before capping it off with The Pair and the Abstract Joker. And that was with Three of a Kinds, Two Pairs, and Full Houses. I was half committed to trying to get $400, but if I'd gone all in I might have been able to hit Ante 12 or higher on this combination with shop cycling. It's not the most theoretically powerful build in the world, but it was really demonstrative of a playstyle that I hadn't thought too much of.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Ante 12 defeated on red stake. Never had a run where I got this strong this quick before. I was hitting million scores effortlessly at ante 5, before Yorick was even active. I fought the boss of ante 9 I think and played a single ace because it had a gold seal and I wanted to make sure I got the extra dollar. It was enough to quadruple the required, lmao.

By the end of this run my reroll cost 1 to start and I had both discounts on cards active, plus more likely planet packs. My Constellation is at X10.4 right now. I have become Galactus, eating all the planets, but only the Flush is worth playing, though. Yorick is the weakest cuttable thing in this deck and he's a X5 multiplier. I looked at the 47,000,000,000 required to beat the small blind on ante 13 and quaked in my boots, though. I'm not sure this deck could do that even if every single card was glass. You must need some far more ridiculously-scaling jokers, and some luck with getting at least 3 or 4 negative to even have a chance at that. Beyond 13 I'm guessing it's limited to one or two combos that are ludicrously busted, in combination with glass and steel.

I cant stop playing. wheel of fortune didn't trigger ONCE that game and I must've bought it 8 times

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Seltzer is so good why can't it last forever

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

You know, I might be able to win yellow deck black stake with some of these builds i've been making if the game offered me a single multiplier-multiplier or polychrome tag. That would really be nice

edit: oh NOW you offer me the x4 four-of-a-kind joker when the last run i was slamming down four fours whenever i could

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 25, 2024

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

whenever I am not playing Balatro I am thinking about Balatro or sleeping

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

smoobles posted:

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

So what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

They both just sit there. The Dagger does not gain any additional Mult as its' thirst for cards remains unsated.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

I suspect eternal is going to be very useful at times. On one hand, can't destroy the things. On the other, can't destroy the things.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yikes, you guys weren’t kidding about the black deck. :gonk: An extra joker slot is not worth the reduced hand count. I can’t think of any synergies the deck is good for.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arcanuse posted:

I suspect eternal is going to be very useful at times. On one hand, can't destroy the things. On the other, can't destroy the things.

Can confirm:

Note that madness, unlike the knife, does not actually need to destroy anything to get the boost every combat.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

man, that's a hell of a first shop. what do :saddowns:

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

ooooh. thats a tough one. good to burn money before grabbing a spectral pack, but its not guaranteed to have (rare joker/lose all cash) one, might even mostly seals.
then again the duplicate joker after three rounds is always powerful, but you have to make it long enough for it to work. and find a joker worth duplicating.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

hey......if you bought the reroll boss voucher and you have the money.....don't forget about it and then fail to reroll the exact boss that kills your entire run......

it was actually the psychic because it killed the "play 3 or less cards for +20 mult" which was critically important lmao

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

smoobles posted:

I've had the music stuck in my head since I downloaded the demo. :v:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pollyanna posted:

Yikes, you guys weren’t kidding about the black deck. :gonk: An extra joker slot is not worth the reduced hand count. I can’t think of any synergies the deck is good for.
It's good for tons of synergies, you'll just be so beat up getting there that it's hard to actually cap higher than other decks.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

People keep saying this, but I just won on Red Stakes with the Black Deck. This is about as far as I've gotten with any deck except Checkered, which is only one set of stakes further up (as I've been saying, been focusing on completionism and going wide rather than trying to stake climb). As with many other things in this vein that reduce your hand, you're betting on the one big play that destroys everything in its path. It is true that the Black Deck is much less forgiving in its on-ramp compared to other decks, but that extra Joker is really good at ensuring that if you can escape the early game that you won't die in the late game to some last-minute nonsense like the Violet Vessel.

...I'll concede that this may be entirely irrelevant if you're playing very high stakes Balatro though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Arcanuse posted:

ooooh. thats a tough one. good to burn money before grabbing a spectral pack, but its not guaranteed to have (rare joker/lose all cash) one, might even mostly seals.
then again the duplicate joker after three rounds is always powerful, but you have to make it long enough for it to work. and find a joker worth duplicating.

I went for the spectral and blew up 5 cards for $20 so I could buy all the other good stuff. Unfortunately I couldn't find any good cards for the joker to copy, I waited as long as I could on it and it ended up duping the lovely +4 multiplier per spade joker with no particular synergy for it. Got to ante 6 (even with the -1 ante to try to find something better) and fizzled on the boss blind.

Next run started with a mega buffoon pack that let me pick up both Baseball Card (rare) and Fibonacci (uncommon, meaning it triggered Baseball Card.)

Neither of them survived the run :unsmigghh:

So that's purple stake down for painted deck.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Pro tip for any newbies unaware: just like you can re-arrange your jokers to affect ordering, you can also do that with the cards in your hand before you play them. If you have cards that give multiplier thanks to your jokers (or holographic, mult enhance, etc.) you should make sure glass and polychrome cards (as well as any other card that will cause a multiplier-multiplier effect) are at the end on the right!

Order of operations is the scored cards (each triggering any relevant jokers left-to-right), then the cards left in your hand (each triggering any relevant jokers, etc.), then your general hand-related jokers, each left-to-right. (There are some exceptions or things that don't work the way you think they would, like Raised Fist.)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 25, 2024

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
This guys makes me look like an idiot at this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WovJ9ogVc

(there's another one out there on the plasma deck that somehow reduced his deck to 28 King of Hearts (some with Planet creation, some with Retrigger that the score needed Exponential notation 77 to show (to compare, a million million is just e12)

This is the video(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCcj4Agqm2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEsegOW8MCY

(warning, 5+hour run that goes from start to Ante TWENTY TWO)

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

I got brutalized by the black deck for about 20 runs before I beat it. The early game was just loving brutal every time

Yeah Black is giving me a real hard time too. My run that has gotten the farthest was also the stupidest where I only had 2 hands, 3 discards, 7 hand size but 2 copies of Raised Fist.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

SirFozzie posted:

This guys makes me look like an idiot at this game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WovJ9ogVc

(there's another one out there on the plasma deck that somehow reduced his deck to 28 King of Hearts (some with Planet creation, some with Retrigger that the score needed Exponential notation 77 to show (to compare, a million million is just e12)

This is the video(s)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCcj4Agqm2A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEsegOW8MCY

(warning, 5+hour run that goes from start to Ante TWENTY TWO)

t... twenty two? i know the mode says endless, but the game only having up through ante 16 in the collection kinda had me thinking it was, y'know, the limit? well. hm.
e: was that a whole nother flame color? jesus
e2: does the idol only select from owned cards? pretty much never touched the thing since it seemed so unreliable

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Feb 25, 2024

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder if it wouldn’t be faster to just restart runs until you get a pivotal joker in the first shop. Cause seriously, sometimes these things are just straight up useless.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

ngl i kinda dig the high color contrast cards despite not being colorblind

(e) gdi why the gently caress did i think KA234 is a straight :cripes:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 25, 2024

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Theres no Neow equivalent, so there's no downside to pitching runs that aren't working out. You can usually make it to the second & third shops with no jokers though, and you might hit a good tarot.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There should be a giant whale rubbing my face in the dirt. "At least reach the second Ante"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Picturing an actual poker player approaching the table, receiving their deal, and just like walking away. Everyone else at the table would be so curious to know wtf eldritch hand they bore witness to.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pray for my aunt posted:

Theres no Neow equivalent, so there's no downside to pitching runs that aren't working out. You can usually make it to the second & third shops with no jokers though, and you might hit a good tarot.

If you efficiently dig for straights/flushes you can clear the first boss pretty easily without needing any jokers or upgrades, although black deck does take more luck than most. At low stakes you can even gamble on taking out the small blind on ante 2 (and if you're using a strong starting deck like checkered or painted then it's not even a gamble, you can maybe even swing the big blind if you're still on white/red chip.) This gives you a lot of flexibility since you can bank money/take good skips and still buy good stuff if it shows up.

I found black deck a lot easier (although still the roughest deck to start with) when I gave up on trying to squeeze advantage out of the early shops and just started mashing skip on any halfway decent tag reward. If you beat the boss you should be set with a pretty strong start, and if you don't, well, there's no guarantee that the first two shops would have saved you (and there's even a risk of losing on round 2 if you flubbed your draws.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Picturing an actual poker player approaching the table, receiving their deal, and just like walking away. Everyone else at the table would be so curious to know wtf eldritch hand they bore witness to.
if it were hold 'em and i got deuce seven offsuit on my first hand i'd sure have considered it :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

is it ba-LA-tro or BAL-a-tro

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Ciaphas posted:

BAH-lah-troh according to wiki

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Then the wiki is fuckin wrong :colbert:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Its pronounced like the dadada from the 500 miles chorus

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

BAL-a-tro is the pronunciation in the trailers, sorry but that ship has long since sailed.

Just discovered the Cavendish, aka the Secret Banana while clearing out a Red Stakes run with Spectral. I laughed at the secondary condition attached to it.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

It's only one in a thousand. but boy, you will feel that one in a thousand.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Nihilarian posted:

Its pronounced like the dadada from the 500 miles chorus

:hai: you have to yell it excitedly

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Arcanuse posted:

t... twenty two? i know the mode says endless, but the game only having up through ante 16 in the collection kinda had me thinking it was, y'know, the limit? well. hm.
e: was that a whole nother flame color? jesus
e2: does the idol only select from owned cards? pretty much never touched the thing since it seemed so unreliable

The flame color thing is because plasma deck (which averages the chips and the multiplier before doing the score calculations, so instead of 100x1, it's 50.5 x 50.5. Really rewards unbalanced things (which is why his multiplier was in the stratosphere) and yes, the idol only selects from cards in your deck (I heard that in a video, either this one or another one)

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Ugh violet whatever just pushed my poo poo in on a deck that scored 200k. Feels bad lol.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I have only beat about 3-4 basic decks at white stakes and don't seem to have too much unlocked but I feel like blueprint is S-tier.

Was able to combo blueprint with burglar and ramen, and then move it to copy constellation during scoring. Even just high cards were getting me 30k+ despite building for flushes. This is the poo poo I live for and why Balatro is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

Wikipedia posted:

In ancient Rome, a balatro (/ˈbɑːlɑːtroʊ/ BAH-lah-troh) was a professional jester or buffoon. Balatrones were paid for their jests, and the tables of the wealthy were generally open to them for the sake of the amusement they afforded.