Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
battlebit m249 is insanely good g*ddamn. the bipod is sort of wackily forgiving considering it gives you pinpoint accuracy. then again you can't exploit it to peek around corners without exposing yourself so I guess its better than battlefield in that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

can I be kitted out in all explosives and blow up buildings?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Lpzie posted:

Yea

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
you can throw c4 really far. like just have that poo poo in your hand instead of a gun

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

the game devs for battlebit are cowards and some buildings just wont fall to rubble no matter how many fuckin rpgs i shoot into em.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

every time a herd of wookies plant their asses on top of a building i should be allowed to blow it the gently caress up.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Lpzie posted:

There's a suicide vest

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
lost hours of my life to Brotato

gently caress the king. I hate the king!

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Popy posted:

the game devs for battlebit are cowards and some buildings just wont fall to rubble no matter how many fuckin rpgs i shoot into em.

theyre cowards cause they wont add shotguns to the game

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Which is the superior (and correct) option: DLSS or FSR?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

depends on the game, I used DLSS in Forza and it was bad, used in CP2077 and it was good

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!
the soundtrack to ff 16 is incredible from the clips i watched but is this game really just kingdom hearts qte bullshit with very high production values

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

PostNouveau posted:

Why they make first-person shooters and third-person shooters but no second-person shooters? There should be a game where you're the one getting shot constantly.

there's an extremely brief second person section in cruelty squad proving once again it's the only good shooter

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

In a second person shooter you control the guy shooting you, so you line up the gun on yourself and pull the trigger.
Reminds me of the great second person novel, The Fall by camus

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Homeless Friend posted:

you can throw c4 really far. like just have that poo poo in your hand instead of a gun

the only issue is that sticks to objects based on some weird system. it's impossible to throw it over walls or through windows sometimes, no matter how you throw it it'll reverse course mid air to stick to the same side of the wall that you are on

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

like freshly fallen snow
by Odin's beard, that's one fine viking

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

battlebit m249 is insanely good g*ddamn. the bipod is sort of wackily forgiving considering it gives you pinpoint accuracy. then again you can't exploit it to peek around corners without exposing yourself so I guess its better than battlefield in that way.

yeah I’ve unlocked almost all the attachments for it now and it’s like a laser with infinite ammo good for wiping entire squads. I like the other viable support weapon - the G36C - well enough with its own basic attachments to improve it but unfortunately it just doesn’t stack up next to the M249

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
new Cities Skylines 2 dev diary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk29jhRlzzw

- people will now select their commute based on actual routes available to them, rather than on as-the-crow flies
- people will now periodically update their commute / pathfinding, instead of using whatever they had first established and using that forever (mind-blowing to me that this is how CS1 worked?!)
- support for multi-core / multi-threaded processors
- cars will use more than one lane
- car crashes will happen
- taxis will be in the base game (instead of a CS1 DLC)
- you can adjust car park pricing (urban planning enthusiasts will know this is a huge deal)

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

I got the first cities skylines base game, played it for like half an hour and never touched it again. I thought it was gonna be a city planning game but it seemed like mostly a traffic simulator. I wanna do big earthworks, gently caress a car

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

tenderjerk posted:

the soundtrack to ff 16 is incredible from the clips i watched but is this game really just kingdom hearts qte bullshit with very high production values

i'm about 65% through based on what the ps5 home screen thing tells me, though i have no idea how they map the main story events to that percentage, so take my opinion based on that. to me, there are some kingdom hearts vibes that start about a third of the way in, mostly with regards to characters, but unlike kingdom hearts the story generally remains as logical as a final fantasy game possibly can

the qtes get kind of old but the spectacle is perhaps unlike any other in a video game. there are also more total cutscenes in ff16 than either death stranding or mgs4, so if you don't like cutscenes then you'll hate it

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

as a rule I’d say use whichever based on your card, but in general DLSS. ymmv depending on if it’s DLSS 2 vs 3

3 is better performance than 2 but instead of upscaling, it’s AI dreaming up interpolated frames which can lead to weird artifacts

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

I got the first cities skylines base game, played it for like half an hour and never touched it again. I thought it was gonna be a city planning game but it seemed like mostly a traffic simulator. I wanna do big earthworks, gently caress a car

I spent an entire afternoon last month learning it and playing it to get far enough to unlock bike lanes and remodel my entire city around having them everywhere

at some point you either have to do large-scale remodeling of your city, or start building with an "endgame" layout in mind, and I wasn't really mentally prepared for doing that, but it was nice to pursue a more modest goal

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

* if you don't have a card that supports DLSS, then it doesn't matter, you will need to use FSR
* if the game you are playing only supports one of these options, then it doesn't matter, you will need to use the one upscaler that is available
* DLSS generally looks better than FSR, in cases where you can select from either

if you're thinking of buying a new GPU, it still doesn't necessarily mean you should aim for NVidia, because if the games you are playing (or expect to play) don't support DLSS, or already run so fast that upscaling isn't necessary, then AMD can still be better value-for-money

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

why do normal guys with swords keep on picking fights with people who can turn into godzillas

you would think that they'd begin to try to come up with another way to deal with the problem after the first million dead soldiers but no

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Hatebag posted:

It's not actually a traffic simulator, it's a city painter with an annoying traffic layer on top that's always trying to sabotage you. If it had an actual traffic simulator it would actually encourage city planning.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I spent an entire afternoon last month learning it and playing it to get far enough to unlock bike lanes and remodel my entire city around having them everywhere

at some point you either have to do large-scale remodeling of your city, or start building with an "endgame" layout in mind, and I wasn't really mentally prepared for doing that, but it was nice to pursue a more modest goal
This is why city builder should start you off at an actual reasonable founding of your city, or with like a base early 19th century one, so the developers are forced to make remodeling your city over time a core part of the gameplay that needs as much love as expanding.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

triple sulk posted:

i'm about 65% through based on what the ps5 home screen thing tells me, though i have no idea how they map the main story events to that percentage, so take my opinion based on that. to me, there are some kingdom hearts vibes that start about a third of the way in, mostly with regards to characters, but unlike kingdom hearts the story generally remains as logical as a final fantasy game possibly can

the qtes get kind of old but the spectacle is perhaps unlike any other in a video game. there are also more total cutscenes in ff16 than either death stranding or mgs4, so if you don't like cutscenes then you'll hate it

its loving beautiful but it looks like devil may cry and not final fantasy :hchatter:

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

err posted:

There's a suicide vest

lmao awesome

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

triple sulk posted:

It's like they made a PS2 action game with the best graphics money can buy, an insane sound track, and some great jrpgs schlock writing. I love it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Fortnite update today with 2 new weapons, 6 new augments, 1 new medical item, tons of quests, summer event starts the 4th of July, and new cosmetics including a new collab.
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1673618507462746112?t=_BTHAI1-_4E81QVMbfOp7w&s=19

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not actually a traffic simulator, it's a city painter with an annoying traffic layer on top that's always trying to sabotage you. If it had an actual traffic simulator it would actually encourage city planning.

it does encourage city planning, traffic is so easy to manage that it's basically a non issue. you need mods to make it even remotely challenging. fortunately CS2 seems like it'll make things more difficult which is good

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Hatebag posted:

just put roundabouts everywhere

your city needs more roundabouts than it needs houses

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JokerReview/status/1673685156274614273?t=ogEwIP1RjgGX46hpAHDKIA&s=19

:jerkbag:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 375 days!

looking cool joker

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

turn off the TV posted:

it does encourage city planning, traffic is so easy to manage that it's basically a non issue. you need mods to make it even remotely challenging. fortunately CS2 seems like it'll make things more difficult which is good
being a non-issue is precisely why it does not encourage city planning

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Joker's trick

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

A Buttery Pastry posted:

being a non-issue is precisely why it does not encourage city planning

You make it a non issue with basic planning though.

Don't build highways. Use a hierarchy of roads. Don't make stroads. Have any public transportation. Don't make industrial traffic ever drive on streets until they're at their destination. Build fewer intersections on grade separated roads.

I've seen tons of complaints about the impossible traffic sim from people with lovely planning saying that the game sucks because they can't fix traffic by adding more lanes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Workers and resources has pretty good traffic . It’s not a simulation. The traffic is actually agents doing things

The only thing abstracted out is commute to home after a work shift or shopping trip

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 78 days!
excited to see more from this guy

quote:

Just got an amazing birthday gift from my sister. I was skeptical at first when I heard a Youtuber was making a screwdriver,

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
to be fair in the first game cars will just sit in traffic when there are totally clear alternate ways for them to travel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the milk machine posted:

to be fair in the first game cars will just sit in traffic when there are totally clear alternate ways for them to travel

this is true to life urban driving I don't know what to tell you