Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.
Togashi Win

"You stand on your own land," Win says. "Would one of the Thunders flee his own home?" Win shakes his head. "If it is as you say," he says to Asano, "then we will flee into the trap. Perhaps the scorpion which stings the frog out of malice and nature ought to see that some frogs are poisonous as well."

Fight. If the others want to flee, Win can hold the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Matsu Itaru

Itaru stood up next to Win. "A Samurai's duty is to give their life to the Emperor and the Empire. If this is where mine is to be spent, then so be it." He said simply and sorely wished that he had his armour. Perhaps that would be his downfall, to be caught without the full vestments of war. Oh well, he was not afraid of death. That fear had left him when Sayaka had been killed, and he had been left alone.

"But they too shall learn a Lion is most dangerous when he is cornered."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Yoritomo Shou

"Looks like we're fighting. You should go, Yoritomo-dono. You can denounce the foul criminals and send some ships after us. The Laughing Storm is a fast one, might be able to catch us." Shou adjusts his obi and retrieves his kama from it, pipe still firmly clutched between his teeth.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"If we are to fight then we are to fight. My place is by the hand, not at the head. Still though...it will be nice to properly face against these agents."

Though he doesn't show it outwardly, Asano is grinning fiercely inside. He doesn't mind the underhanded work...but he had been wanting to bring the sword to the Scorpion for a long, long time. Maybe these inquisitors weren't personally the ones who had destroyed his clan and shamed his love. Maybe that didn't matter.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The door begins to splinter as Yoritomo pulls out his trademark kamas, grinning fearsomely. "Flee? I think not. None of them shall be left alive to say who slew them, and it is as Togashi-san says--Thunder does not flee!"

Then the Scorpion are upon you. There's a swarm of them, and at least one shugenja hanging back.

Let's have some initiative. Also, just a side comment, remember that Day of Thunder 2: Electric Boogaloo hasn't happened yet/may not even be A Thing in Scorpyverse, so I just had Yoritomo assume Win was talking about Osano-wo. There's enough Scorpions here that you can all have one if you like, though getting to the shugenja may be tricky. If you want to play around with them, there are crates and such in the room, and there's certainly a lot of Mantis here as well to join the battle for any noncombatants in the room.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

Initiative!: 6d10o10k3 36

Asano moves fast. drat fast. He's been waiting for this.

pre:
TNtBH: 20	 Init: 36	Stance: Attack    Void: 2/2
Wound Track:     [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOOOO]+3 [OOOOOO]+5 [OOOOOO]+10 [OOOOOO]+15 [OOOOOO]+20 [OOOOOO]+40 [OOOOOO] RIP

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Initiative: 3:12 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 35 = 5k3(9,1,7,7,[10,9])

Attack: Katana 3:21 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 25 = 6k3(5,8,3,4,4,2)+8
Damage: Katana 3:22 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 14 = 8k2(8,3,3,4,2,6,5,3)

Well it would have been nice if he'd had his Ono on hand but the Katana was a Samurai's weapon and there was always a certain familiarity with it. Maybe it had less raw power, but it certainly cut cleanly when you hit true. Itaru lashed out at the Scorpion he was fighting with, striking forth with his blade.

pre:
TNtBH: 20	 Init: 35	Stance: Attack
Wound Track:     [OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOO]+3 [OOOO]+5 
[OOOO]+10 [OOOO]+15 [OOOO]+20 [OOOO]+40 [OOOO] RIP

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

Settling in, he nods. This was right. An alliance cemented in blood.

Init: 5d10o10k3 26

pre:
TNtBH: 20	 Init: 26	Stance: Attack    Void: 3/3
Active poo poo: Scorp Tat, Void Dragon Kiho
Wound Track:     [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOOOO]+3 [OOOOOO]+5 
[OOOOOO]+10 [OOOOOO]+15 [OOOOOO]+20 [OOOOOO]+40 [OOOOOO] RIP

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

Shou twirls his kama and leaps into the fray, looking for a chance to open up some of the Scorpion to killing blows from his companions.

Init 22
[18:50] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 22 = 4k2(2,[10,3],9,3)

pre:
TNtbH: 22	Init: 22	Stance: Attack		Void: 2/2
OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO (+0)	OOOOOO (+3)	OOOOOO (+5)	OOOOOO (+10)
OOOOOO (+15)		OOOOOO (+20)	OOOOOO (+40)	OOOOOO (-)

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Mar 9, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
The shugenja standing behind the Scorpion begins to cast a spell, as Asano begins to do his thing.

Asano, do your thing. Itaru's gonna hit one of the Scorpion dudes, but it won't be enough. The Shugenja is casting something big, apparently, as it's not going off this round. There's Scorpions between you guys and him. They go last.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

Using No Boundaries; +1k0 on my scorpion, the shugenja, and Itaru's scorpion.

Attack; Damage: 8d10o10k3 26 7d10o10k2 20

Asano narrows his eyes and strikes out at paired targeted foe. It wasn't dead - but it was hurting now.

pre:
Wound Track:     [OOOOO OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOOOO]+3 [OOOOOO]+5 [OOOOOO]+10 [OOOOOO]+15 [OOOOOO]+20 [OOOOOO]+40 [OOOOOO] RIP

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 9, 2014

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

Shou jumps into the fray, kama slashing out and down in an effort to pull the one Ikoma is fighting off balance and open a way to shugenja.

Attacking the one Ikoma is going after.
[09:57] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 21 = 9k3(8,6,1,2,5,4,7,4,5)
If it still hits somehow, his TNtbH goes down by 5 for two rounds. This stacks if I hit him again, up to 10.

pre:

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

Stepping forward, Win focuses all of his might. Years of training, peaceful meditation, serene wisdom, and restraining from the pleasures of the flesh have honed him well. It has all come to this. His life's ambition, realized in this moment. The moment he was born to do.

Stepping forward in a shuffle, Win unleashes a kick that would shatter Akodo's balls. It is a kick for the ages. It is a kick that may take this Scorpion's head CLEAN OFF.

Kiho!: 6d10o10k3 23
PUNCHING A DUDE: 10d10o10k4 30
DAMAGE: 8d10o10k4 70 - Will also inflict DAZED

pre:
TNtBH: 20	 Init: 26	Stance: Attack    Void: 3/3

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
And take his head off it does. And the other Scorpion look none too eager to engage the Togashi. However, there are still several of them ready to act.

To attack Asano, Itaru, Shou, and Win:
[01:20] <Ridley>: .roll 5k3
[01:20] <Morphball>: Ridley: 32 = 5k3(9,7,1,[10,6],7)
[01:20] <Morphball>: Ridley: 23 = 5k3(7,7,1,9,4)
[01:20] <Morphball>: Ridley: 18 = 5k3(3,2,8,7,3)
[01:20] <Morphball>: Ridley: 32 = 5k3([10,6],4,9,7,2)

Asano is hit, Itaru and Shou are not -- Itaru's has penalties. Win's hits.

[01:22] <Ridley>: .roll 5k2 Asano damage
[01:22] <Morphball>: Ridley: Asano damage: 13 = 5k2(1,7,2,6,6)
[01:22] <Ridley>: .roll 5k2 Win damage
[01:22] <Morphball>: Ridley: Win damage: 10 = 5k2(4,1,2,6,4)

One Scorpion down, one direly injured, and at least four more not engaged by Mantis. Yoritomo is cutting them down left and right. The Shugenja continues casting...

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

The guy who hit him? A dead man. Win watches the head sail off, bouncing off of one of the rafters before he chops another man in the neck.

Voiding Damage
Kiho!: 6d10o10k3 26
BOOM: 10d10o10k4 32
DAMAGE: 8d10o10k4 41 - Will also inflict DAZED

pre:
TNtBH: 20	 Init: 26	Stance: Attack    Void: 2/3

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

Shou nimbly hops back out of reach as the Scorpion presses an attack, a maneuver well practiced in the close confines of ship board fights. He jumps back into the fray, raising one kama to keep the one attacking him on his toes, then lashing out with the other at the injured Scorpion.

Attacking the injured one. Still getting pretty poor attack rolls. Again, if it hits drops TNtbH by 5.
[21:16] Attack <+Morphball> Gorbash: 21 = 9k3(7,1,1,7,1,3,2,3,7)
Damage [21:18] <+Morphball> Gorbash: 13 = 3k2(7,3,6)

pre:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

With the Mantis jumping in to draw the scorpion's ire away from Asano, Asano takes the moment to move at the shugenja, attempting to stop the spell (through pure violence) before it can be cast!

Attack; Damage: 8d10o10k3 38 7d10o10k2 13

pre:

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Kenjutsu (Katana): 3:44 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 31 = 6k3+8(9,3,2,6,1,8)
Damage: 3:45 PM <•Morphball> HiKaizer: 20 = 9k3(7,3,5,1,2,2,8,4,2)

Following his clansman's lead, Itaru simply and ungracefully took advantage of his large frame and his massive strength to shove one of the guards aside and slash at the Shugenja with his Katana. No doubt that Kakita Shiran would see it as ugly and unfit for a Samurai, but a Lion knew well that life or death combat was not a place for niceties or polite etiquette.

pre:
TNtBH: 20	 Init: 35	Stance: Attack      Void: 1/2
Wound Track:     [OOOOO OOOOO]+0 [OOOO]+3 [OOOO]+5 
[OOOO]+10 [OOOO]+15 [OOOO]+20 [OOOO]+40 [OOOO] RIP

HiKaizer fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 12, 2014

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

Win throws punches in bunches.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Bunches of punches? I've got my hunches those bunches of punches cause crunches upon crunches!

Realtalk: That fight has clearly been resolved in your favor, do you wanna finish the actual rolling or do you wanna just narrate out how you kill the shugenja and other opponents before I pick up tomorrow?

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Narrative works for me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I will narrate the most Rokugani way to do an epic high five with Cirno.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
So narrate.

Yoritomo and his lads have cut down the other Scorpion troops as well. Yoritomo looks like he hasn't broken a sweat.

"You'd better hurry and get back to the mainland," he tells you. "They'll be blockading the port soon enough."

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

The shugenja falls to an exceptionally powerful slash from one side from HiKaizer, and the other side from Asano.

The head falls gently next to the feet. The torso also falls next to the feet.

The two Lions share a glance and a nod at each other.

"Agreed. We will bring word back to the hosts of the Black Lion. Let us hurry to the docks, and hope the Scorpion are not wise enough to assume failure and send soldiers there as well."

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

More than a little disappointed the pile of broken Scorpions near his feet is smaller than the one near Yoritomo, Win bows. "A pact sealed in blood. Fitting for such work, perhaps. Is there a message we are to convey before parting?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

Having run out of Scorpions to trip and drag into the way of Lion blades and Dragon fists, Shou spins his kama around and sticks them back into the sash at his waist. "Haven't seen a blockade I couldn't run yet, but no need to borrow trouble."

Shou heads over to the door and cracks it open, checking to make sure the Scorpion haven't left anyone out there to trouble them, ready to lead the others back down to the dock.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"How could you blockade the Mantis?" Win asks curiously. "They have all the boats, don't they?"

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

Shou chuckles. "Not all of them, just the best ones. The answer is you don't, not for long anyways. Unless the Yoritomo lets you." Shou heads out the door, waving for the others to follow. "Best be off with the tide though."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Itaru had been lucky he hadn't been injured in the combat. Without his armour he felt strangely vulnerable in combat, and after this he vowed never to be without it again. Well...he might make an exception for at sea. He didn't particularly want to sink after all and the armour would not be particularly buoyant he guessed. "We certainly will not return soon to these lands I would reckon Lord Yoritomo, so if there is any message that you cannot trust to an untested messenger we can ensure the safety of your clansman to deliver it himself." The Matsu added to Win's comments of messages.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
As the days of the reign of the Scorpion Emperor came to a close, certain individuals became known for their roles in spreading the word of the returned Hantei Emperor, and as they became more widely known the Scorpion became more desperate to stop them. Oddly, Shoju himself seemed to be less concerned than his Inquisition, and indeed, unsurprised to learn of the Hantei Emperor's existence...

Miya Shouko, as usual

Hey guys, have some XP! Take...three.

A hasty trip to the docks shows how to blockade the Mantis...the Scorpion troops are, evidently, firing the kobune. This is not going over well, and there is in fact a pretty nasty fight going on. Fortunately, you've got support from an elite cadre of Mantis, and shortly you're underway.

One slightly tense trip later, you're back ashore, in the lands of the Phoenix. The port you land at is...not especially large, though it's big enough that you need not fear being singled out as travelers should someone come looking.

The lands of the Dragon are...well, across the Phoenix territory. And it's late.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

"Of course we have to meet with the Dragon. Up some damned mountains. Most of them haven't even heard of the sea, I'd bet. Probably don't even have proper lakes."

Shou grumbles as he collects his things from the ship. "So, are we starting tonight or finding a place to stay?"

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"We cannot simple walk across Phoenix lands without announcement. We should spend the night here and, on the morn, make a formal request to travel across their mountains."

Temptation 2 -> 3
Katana emphasis
Seduction emphasis

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 9, 2014

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
You may thank a certain Togashi monk's supplications for this: upgrade that three XP to five XP.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Void 2-3
Heavy Weapons 5-7

I forgot to mark XP and spend it for a while.

Itaru thought about it and in the end agreed. "People will have no reason to report us to any Scorpion inquisitors or their servants if we do not act suspiciously. We should simply conduct our business, but try to avoid drawing attention to ourselves." There was a certain degree of self-awareness in the last comment, Itaru being aware he stood out both in appearance due to his large size, and to the way he acted.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"The lands of the Phoenix are quite beautiful, and the mountains we shall soon enjoy are refreshing. What a time to be alive, it is said."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Yoritomo Shou

"Whoever said that probably wasn't climbing a mountain at the time," Shou grouses, then sighs. "Well, even my complaints aren't going to give us enough wind to sail up a peak, so we might as well find some mats for the night and get on with it in the morning. Any of you familiar with this place? Otherwise we might as well try the second least interesting looking inn we can find."

Knives 3->4->5, Athletics 3->4 and Hunting 1->2 to spend this and the 10xp I had banked.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Togashi Win

"I think it was a Togashi who said it, so they probably were." Win looks around. "We could always sleep in the out of doors. Very good for the soul. At any rate, the mountains will not come to us, so it is best we are off."

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

The Lion mentally rolled his at the Mantis, but otherwise kept the polite mask on his face. "Lion are always ready to march Win-San, but I am concerned that an aversion to sleeping in an inn might draw attention." Itaru glanced at Asano for a moment, an implicit question of what he would suggest asked but not aloud. It was not that he thought his fellow Lion was better at sneaking and not being noticed, especially given the reputation of the Ikoma for being the opposite to that, but he knew the ways of courts and how intrigue worked a bit better than Itaru and so Asano might be better prepared to outsmart the Scorpions. Itaru would as a Matsu, be inclined to simply overpower them instead.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Ikoma Asano

"Samurai traveling unannounced is, at the very least, severely impolite. Besides which, the Phoenix have long been allies of the Dragon, and besides that we're in a town where we can go unnoticed. And besides all of that it is late, and it is time for proper people to be going to bed. I say we find a bed, and begin our trek in the morning."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
Matsu Itaru

Well the majority wanted to stay in town. "We shall be spending the night here then. If you wish to make a head start however Togashi-San, we would not think ill of you dedication to your duties. However it might be prudent to remain as a group for the time being." With that settled Itaru moved off to the inn to organise quarters for at least himself and his cousin.

• Locked thread