Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Khisanth Magus posted:

That is supposed to happen, but I don't think it does.

Meta references through bugs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy
As I recall, it's mentioned during the ending, but doesn't have an effect on actually going there.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Sneaking Mission: Update 4

"Snake.. how did you do that? You've never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

"You've got me. He asked me a question and I repeated it back to him and then he exploded."

"I think I see… anyway, you should have a car soon. Be careful taking it back to New Reno."

"Uh… Otacon, what makes you think I know how to drive?"

"Don't worry about it. The simulator will take care of most of it."

From there, the car gets stolen as normal in New Reno. It's been covered before, but when you pay off T-Ray you can just steal the money right back. In addition to that, he's got a few other goodies including condoms to prove that hope does spring eternal.

Heading over to the Wright section of town there's not very much to help ourselves to, but one of the kids does have a Mr. Nixon doll in case you're curious as to what they look like.

A little bit of experiencing gaining gets us another perk. Master Thief is actually a bit less useful than Thief, but it's a few more points that don't need to be spent on those skills and can be put elsewhere. For a run like this without a lot of combat that's a very valuable commodity.

Making a return trip to the NCR, it's time to do some pocket exploration. Gunther, Tandi's aide, has a unique item known as the Presidential Pass that's useful for another quest.

Most of the guards don't have very much to steal, but the Sheriff actually has some 2mm ammo and a super stimpack. Why the 2mm? We'll get to that in the Dakka play through.

While we're here we can go ahead and do the NCR Rangers quest. It.. uh.. doesn't go well.

"Otacon! I'm surrounded, and they're between me and the door. I'm trying to get out..."

"Snake? SNAAAAAAAKE!"

To make it a bit safer we can go around and take everybody's guns before we try to sneak through and free the slaves. Doing it at night is also helpful, especially with the Ghost perk.

"Do you need a bit of help there, Snake?"

"I've got this.. I just… need a minute. Computers are complicated."

I'm just impressed by the fact that the slavers aren't noticing all the slaves running out the front door."

"Alright Snake, your next mission is to infiltrate a military base."

"Finally, something I'm good at. How many guards are we talking about there? What kind of routines?"

"No guards, just killer robot turrets with miniguns."

"…okay, so I don't like my odds with a rifle. What else do we have?"

"These things aren't exactly state of the art. They've got about a second of lag time between target acquisition and being able to fire."

"A whole second? That's generous even by my standards."

"Keep rubbing it in for the rest of us who aren't legendary soldiers, why don't you."

"I'm just happy that something I'm good at actually works in here."

"Well… the design docs say there's another military base with actual troops that you could infiltrate…"

"Bring it on."

"Wait, what's this guy talking about? There's nobody with me!"

"That's not right… umm… this might not have been the best idea."

"Looks like talking my way through is out… luckily that's not my best skill anyway."

If you don't get the okay from Chris, you can always just go in here and sneak in the back door. We did this stealthfully, but you can also just straight up murder before he raises the alarm. We'll just do the minimum and pick up some stuff for later...

Once we're in the guards in Navarro don't have very much in the way of unique stealable items, but you can pick up a few odds and ends including a Stealth Boy and an H&K G11E machine-gun.

Poking around in a few other places in New California reveals a few more goodies. The super mutant is a muscle working in the bar outside of the gate, and the guy with the machine gun and grenades is the head of the guards at Westin's ranch. Too bad they didn't think

From there, we might as well move on to Vault 15. In some ways this is one of the easier ones for this kind of playthrough, with one major exception.

"Snake, even for you there's a limit…"

"Can't I get a Soliton radar or something?"

"The simulator can't handle it, but if you kind of picture it in your head…"

"I know I'm the one who suggested it, but I can't believe you pulled it off."

"They were all staring forward, and I think that the old man is pretty much deaf and blind."

"And the dog?"

"I can't explain everything. Downloading… okay, I've already got the parts."

"Otacon, I think I might be in love."

"You can't take it with you, Snake. You'll only be able to use that in the simulation."

"Why can't you science guys get on something useful like that?"

"We'll handle making virtual guns real after we deal with Metal Gear, nuclear proliferation, and world hunger."

"I can't help but feel that there's something wrong with your priorities."

"Just now the feeling is mutual. Snake, why did you turn the lights on!?"

"I'd explain, but I'm going to be busy running. It seemed like a good idea at the time."

"Uh.. Snake, I think they're not actually chasing you."

"Don't care. Still running."

Because we didn't kill all the raiders we can't work the deal with the NCR and the Squatters, but we get full experience for turning the parts in. We also get the reward for getting the information, and all of the money as well. The two payouts you can receive vary based on whether you ask about your compensation before accepting the job or not.

ddegenha fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 25, 2014

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

ddegenha posted:

"These things aren't exactly straight of the art. They've got about a second of lag time between target acquisition and being able to fire."

Poking around in a few other places in New California reveals a few more goodies. The super mutant is a muscle working in the bar outside of the gate, and the guy with the machine gun and grenades is the head of the guards at Westin's ranch. Too bad they didn't think

"I now I'm the one who suggested it, but I can't believe you pulled it off."

A few typos/omissions here.

Good to see a mission where Snake can really strut his stuff.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I can't imagine that's a very effective sneaking suit he's got there. I forget if this has been mentioned, but does your equipped armor have any impact on your sneaking ability?

rabiddeity
Jun 2, 2011

ddegenha posted:

"Snake.. how did you do that? You've never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail!

"You've got me. He asked me a question and I repeated it back to him and then he exploded."

:allears:

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Judging by the pictures, you took the bridgekeeper's robes. Do I recall correctly that they're on par with some of the higher level stuff in the game?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ratatozsk posted:

Judging by the pictures, you took the bridgekeeper's robes. Do I recall correctly that they're on par with some of the higher level stuff in the game?

Yep. They are just like combat armour in terms of defences, with only half the weight, but no radiation resistance. Pretty great in general, kinda overpowered if you get the encounter between, say, Modoc and Klamath, as happened in one of my earlier games.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is nice to see sneaking pay dividends!

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

MaskedHuzzah posted:

As I recall, it's mentioned during the ending, but doesn't have an effect on actually going there.

Sadly, the whole Enclave kill squad is a dead end that doesn't actually affect anything. All of the endings for Gecko depend on whether or not you fix the power plant, and the best ending (Vault City and Gecko forming an alliance because you got McClure the data disk) is bugged out and doesn't work. If there was ever an intent to have the Enclave possibly slaughter Gecko and have that as an ending, it never made it in.

Glazius posted:

drat, that is a lot of damage from the electrified floor. The power armor insulates you?

Slightly. The damage range on the electric floors and the red force fields is a bit weird, but you'll generally take half damage or less when you're wearing power armor. I've actually seen 0 damage from the red force fields in power armor once or twice, but you generally at least take something.

Schwartzcough posted:

I can't imagine that's a very effective sneaking suit he's got there. I forget if this has been mentioned, but does your equipped armor have any impact on your sneaking ability?

Armor doesn't seem to affect sneaking at all, but the game isn't exactly transparent about these things. Still, there's not much of an attempt at balancing armors so I would say probably not. Generally armor just gets better as you go along, with a few exceptions like the Tesla armor providing 90% DR to laser attacks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ddegenha posted:

Armor doesn't seem to affect sneaking at all, but the game isn't exactly transparent about these things. Still, there's not much of an attempt at balancing armors so I would say probably not. Generally armor just gets better as you go along, with a few exceptions like the Tesla armor providing 90% DR to laser attacks.

It does influence sneaking in tactics.

Also a lot of other skills.

Assuming nobody's shooting at you, late game it's a good idea to have anyone doing technical work strip down to their underwear.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
The Dakka Way - Update 5

Now that we're done with the Sierra Army Depot and have done the rest of the quests offscreen, it's time to go and get our Made Man status. For this playthrough we'll be doing the jobs for Bishop, which means going to the NCR.

Before we get started, it's worth taking a stop outside the gate to acquire some weapons from Buster's guards. As you can see, they're packing Bozars. This is another, possibly easier method to get one but you either have to steal it or pry it from their cold dead hands.

One thing led to another, and I… uh.. ended up going a bit overboard. That's okay, because we're gonna be double-fisting.

This also ends up killing Buster, but nobody cares about him. You can raid his shelves for some additional goodies that weren't in his shop inventory.

Also right outside the gate we have a guy named Merk, who's got a few.. morally questionable jobs for us. This is right up our alley, however, and this one is pretty easy. Just slipping three super stims in the Hubologist is enough, but unless you want the other Zeta Scan boost you just have to make sure you get your scan before you kill her.

While we're in town, we can also check in on how to kill Westin. The doctor has some information about his heart, as well as some pills on his shelf although it doesn't really matter if you take them or not.

Super Stimpacks don't work on Westin. 10,000 damage is impressive, but unfortunately even the most inept coroner can figure out that people generally don't explode from the inside out.

For a more believable murder, using Jet or Psycho is enough to finish him. Buffout might work as well, but Jet's the easiest option.

Going back to Merk, his next mission is to steal some papers from Doc Henry… which are in a desk in a desk in his front hallway. You don't even have to see the Doc to get them, so that one is a free thousand bucks.

Coming back to Bishop we can get our next job, which is killing another NCR bureaucrat.

To make things better, or worse, we don't have to use any kind of special tricks on this guy… we just have to make him die. But $500? $500 is an insult.

Luckily we can push for a bit more, and we do have a leg to stand on. Nobody's been able to handle business like Dakka can. Before we handle that, though, we might as well swing by the Military Base for some extra experience. We're going to need some more levels before we tackle this one.

If you don't go in there guns blazing, the chatter between some of the mutants is absolutely hilarious. They're actually talking about a recipe for "Rat Surprise."

The 'surprise' is better left to your imagination, but the process involves letting the rat ripen for a couple of days.

Finishing the Military Base gets us up to level 18, which means we can get our final perk to complete the meat of the build. With Bonus Rate of Fire our burst is down to 4 AP, which means that with 12 AP we can get 3 burst attacks per round. Having two Bozars means we can pull that off, but the need to reload means that our rate of fire is still a bit restricted. From 2/1, we've moved to 5/2 when it comes to attacks. That's quite enough to ruin just about everything in the game.

In case it's not enough to satisfy you, you can also find the Vindicator in shops sometimes. It fires 4.7mm ammo at 25 rounds per burst (7-14 damage per shot), and holds 100 rounds. $58,000 is a bit steep, though.

As a side note, Tandi's son (grandson?) is a drunken idiot who picks fights in the bar. We'll walk away… for now.

To get to Carlson, we'll have to talk to Merk. Since we did all of those jobs for him, he's more than willing to recommend us for a job at Carlson's. Another option is to steal the Presidential Pass from Gunther, but that's more Snake's line if we were going that way.

With that, we're able to get straight through the gate. Without one of those two methods, you have no real way of forcing your way through.

…I think I've selected my target to get the Childkiller Perk. Little poo poo.

Carlson's mansion is pretty much empty space, with the man himself in a tiny office.

There's no really clever way to get him, since he freaks out as soon as he sees you.

On the plus side, this is the highest damage I've managed so far. He's definitely dead, but we're going to have to shoot our way out. Carlson is actually packing a Pancor Jackhammer (the best shotgun in the game), not that he gets a chance to use it.

It gets a bit messy, since the only way to get out of combat mode is to kill everyone who sees you.

Once we start toward the police station, Sheriff Dumont is our first priority. We'll talk about that a bit more later…

Since we've got a lot of business to take care of. The entire police force of the NCR is standing between us and the exit.

That includes Jack, who busts out of his cell to confront us. That… doesn't end well for him.

And that's why Sheriff Dumont had to go first. A Gauss rifle will punch straight through power armor, so it's better for us if we don't let him get a shot off.

Jack, in addition to packing an assault rifle and a Desert Eagle, also has some Psycho on him. This explains a great deal.

Ironically, once we get out the gate guard chastises us about having a weapon out. I think he missed the memo… it's gonna be really awkward when he's waiting for his relief. With that, we're officially persona non grata in the NCR.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ddegenha posted:

Ironically, once we get out the gate guard chastises us about having a weapon out. I think he missed the memo… it's gonna be really awkward when he's waiting for his relief. With that, we're officially persona non grata in the NCR.

Universally, doing Bishop's jobs is going to get you on numerous peoples' poo poo lists, half due to the fact that you're openly subverting the government of NCR and Vault City alike, and half due to the fact that you can't "sneak" an assassination mission like that, meaning you end up gutting half the town just to kill a single person.

You'd think cities would be a little less universally aware of when there's a murderer in their midst. Baldur's Gate games had this exact same problem: Sometimes you just want to kill a single dude, not genocide an entire city.

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Come now! Look me in the eye and tell me - isn't this the face of a guy you can trust?
Lipstick Apathy

ddegenha posted:

This also ends up killing Buster, but nobody cares about him. You can raid his shelves for some additional goodies that weren't in his shop inventory.

You should be able to buy that stuff by interacting with those shelves - he's effectively three different shops. Same thing with the two tables at Red 88 and the other shop in San Francisco. Unless I have entirely misunderstood what you meant.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Welp. I suppose that in Dakkaland, there is no more NCR.

Or much of anything, really.

Except holes in many, many things from shots fired from his twin bozars.

TeerZombie
Aug 5, 2003

Crush all hu-mans!
Thanks for the great LP ddegenha. I thought I remembered another way to kill Carlson and according to the fallout wiki, it's possible to kill Carlson quietly by reverse pick pocketing timed dynamite onto his kid and then asking him to tell his father that you are there. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Murder_Carlson_in_NCR.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

One neat bug in Fallout 1 which I don't remember if it's still around in Fallout 2 is that you could end any conversation at any point by pressing 0 on the keyboard. This would end the conversation immediately and generally without the one you were speaking to turning hostile even if they would have at the usual end of conversation. I used this trick to kill the sergeant at the military base more than once. Does it no longer work in Fallout 2? It's been too long since I played.

Also I hope you do Fallout Tactics next, I never managed to finish that one.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Are any of the characters (Snake?) going to show off how to kill every New Reno family leader indirectly / how to become a Made Man for every family?

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Xander77 posted:

Are any of the characters (Snake?) going to show off how to kill every New Reno family leader indirectly / how to become a Made Man for every family?

Funny you should mention that, actually...

In other news, for the last couple updates I was actually on vacation and had written them ahead of time. I'll be resuming a more normal update schedule for these last few updates to close out Fallout 2.

TeerZombie posted:

I thought I remembered another way to kill Carlson and according to the fallout wiki, it's possible to kill Carlson quietly by reverse pick pocketing timed dynamite onto his kid and then asking him to tell his father that you are there. http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Murder_Carlson_in_NCR.

I knew I'd missed something! Well, that would have fulfilled my twin objectives of killing Carson and his kid, but this way was more fun.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Sneaking Mission - Update 5

"So… this is it? I kind of expected more… maybe some kind of giant machine I'd have to take down or something like that."

"I think you might need some help to deal with that issue, Snake, but whatever you do…"

"You snuck in and tried to steal it, didn't you Snake?

"Uh… little bit of help, here?"

"Give me a second… there. Now, this time get it on the up and up."

Some of you might have noticed the small grey Deathclaw hanging out in the shot above. That's Goris, and these are his stats. Goris is a bit of a strange NPC since you can get him here, but when the Enclave attacks Vault 13 he'll leave you and run back home. You can pick him up again at that point, but that requires a trip back. All that said, Goris is pretty amazing if you go through the trouble of picking him up. He can level up SIX times and he's an absolute monster in combat. He doesn't wear armor, but he does get damage resistance and absorption. For reference, here are his stats:

Level 2
ST: 8
PE: 9
EN: 7
CH: 4
IN: 5
AG: 8
LK: 6

HP: 134
Unarmed: 58%
Melee Damage: 1-30
AC: 28
Carry Weight: 225
AP: 11
Crit Chance: 13%

Level 3
ST: 8
EN: 8
IN: 6
AG: 8

HP: 145
Unarmed: 68%
Melee Damage: 1-32
AC: 28
Carry Weight: 225
AP: 12
Crit Chance: 18%

Level 4
ST: 9
EN: 8
IN: 6
AG: 9

HP: 155
Unarmed: 74%
Melee Damage: 1-38
AC: 29
Carry Weight: 250
AP: 12
Crit Chance: 18%

Level 5
EN: 9
IN: 7
LK: 7

HP: 166
Unarmed: 84%
Melee Damage: 1-41
AC: 34
AP: 13
Crit Chance: 24%

Level 6
EN: 9
IN: 7

HP: 175
Unarmed: 94%
Melee Damage: 1-43
AC: 34
AP: 13
Crit Chance: 24%

Level 7
ST: 10
EN: 10
IN: 8
AG: 10

HP: 187
Unarmed: 100%
Melee Damage: 1-47
AC: 35
Carry Weight: 275
AP: 15
Crit Chance: 29%

The most interesting thing to steal in the area is some armor and ammo from the guy in the computer room. Other than that, it's all stuff we've seen before.

"I'm not sure how I feel about this."

"You don't have to sneak around all the time, Snake. It's okay to actually deal with people."

"I think I'll leave that up to you, and I'll just handle the sneaky parts."

"I'm… not that good at that either. We'll work something out. Hey, why don't you go check out that abandoned military base some more? This would be a good time to check for more weapons."

"It's a good thing I'm used to backtracking."

"Wait… Skynet? Snake, get out of there!"

"Skynet?"

"Skynet! It's an artificial intelligence referenced from a movie, where it went crazy and wiped out humanity."

"Must have missed that one. Still, this one seems friendly enough…"

On the way there, we can actually disarm the traps in the hallway and avoid a missile to the face. Generally I haven't bothered with that, but with a character who knows their traps it's actually fairly easy.

Once we're done with all the stuff everybody's seen before, it's time to go back to dealing with New Reno for the extra experience points.

Going out to the stables for the Mordenos we can actually steal an access pass to go see Myron. That's not the only thing, however...

"Snake, what are you doing?"

"Getting shot down like a fighter pilot in World War II. I guess I'm doing this my way."

We can still get the information to talk about Myron and talk the access pass out of here that way, but stealing it is more fun.

Speaking of Myron, he's got a few goodies you can steal off of him. You'll notice that this is includes a condom, demonstrating the triumph of hope over experience. While we're here, I'll expand the conversation from Myron.

"Otacon, what the hell is he talking about?"

"It looks like pharmacology… I think I found the dev notes on this section. Just say what I tell you to. First off, answer me…"

"Two words: Brahmin poo poo."

"As fertilizer, right?"

"Very good. And that's all yer ever gonna learn, pal. You wanna know, you figure it out."

"Chemical properties in the brahmin poo poo that affect the nervous system?"

"Ah, Christ. Well… when I came across the Mordino family way back when, they were farming peyote cacti and trying to sell it to to rusts as the 'Reno Experience.' Total bullshit."

"Heh… bullshit. Anyway, go on."

"You mean like cocaine, or crank? Wait, what the hell is crank?"

"Problem is, in the new climate, we can't grow most of the veggies needed for the best drugs. Couldn't grow coca plants, opium poppies -- and man, did we try -- so we figured our best bet was shrooms."

"Ok…"

"Plus, hallucinogens have low overhead, so I start experimenting with derivatives of lysergic acid and diethyl amide and psilocybin."

"Once you get him started, he doesn't stop does he?"

"Still, I really wanted to whip up a hard-hitter that didn't rely on veggie extracts. Man, was I an idiot, 'cause the answer turned out to BE the extracts, or, more precisely, what they were growing IN."

"Wait, are we back to the brahmin poo poo again?"

"Well, wasn't too hard to come up with a good upper. A same of that pre-war protein extract, corrupt it and bam -- decent amphetamine."

"Protein extract?"

"Screwed? How?"

"The contaminated version acted like an amphetamine when ingested. Little side effect. Don't ask. It's, uh, technical"

"You don't know either, do you? How'd you get protein extract?"

"See, we start experimenting with the brahmin poo poo as fertilizer for the shrooms, except get this; then, we noticed the slaves working fertilizer vats were getting high from the fumes…by putting tons of brahmin poo poo in the vats, we found out that the fumes give more than enough of a kick. Eureka. Literally. 'Course, we had to test to get the mix right..."

"Wait… how much testing?"

"You're insane! And trust me, I should know!"

"Well, not on purpose. I mean, slaves are expensive. Still, we made the money back in the first few months, so the Mordino Family wasn't too pissed at me."

"Can I kill him NOW?"

"Not without having to fight your way out."

"Dammit. I'm going to go back to the Wrights before I start trouble."

There's a quest you can access with Mrs. Wright to wreck the stills under the station, and I tried to get it this time...

But I might have taken a wrong turn in the conversation tree. Oops!

Since we're being systematic about this, we might as well go to the Bishops...

"Do girls actually get that excited about boxers?"

"Looking for lessons? I don't think you really want all the head injuries."

"I guess you're right…"

"On the other hand, drugs are always an option."

While we're here, we can take a look at the Magic Eight Ball. As you can see, some of the advice is actually helpful. Other messages include:

"Go back and talk to Father Tully in New Reno after you have finished the game."

"There is an Easter Egg somewhere in New Reno."

"Yes, we KNOW Descent to Undermountain was crap."

"The code to activate the first terminal in the Vault in Vault City is 3PCF186"

"Somebody buried some cash beneath the cross labeled 'Trash' in Golgotha."

"Look in the first floor men's bathroom toilet in the Mordino casino in New Reno."

"You need a high STR *and* a high END to have a chance of beating Francis in the arm-wrestling contest."

Some of them are a bit more comedic. You need high luck (9-10) to get useful responses.

"Otacon, is going ahead with this going to bring trouble on my head?"

"Not if you do it right. I'm just thankful that it's a fade to black to represent sex instead of some kind of crazy virtual experience."

For the curious, this is the alternative method of killing John Bishop. You have to have a high enough skill to succeed at the check before you'll get the dialogue option.

You basically have to use either the Repair of Traps skill to reset the combination, then make your way out of Bishop's top floor. If you've pushed your luck with Bishop this might require some sneaking.

A few minutes later you'll hear an explosion noise and get a message about how much damage the explosion did to Bishop. The first time I did this it crashed the game, so it's a bit risky.

"Kind of weird, he's gone but all of his equipment is there."

"Heh, you can't see from my perspective can you? Trust me, he's… kind of all over still."

"At this point I've never been grateful for an isometric perspective."

MaskedHuzzah
Mar 26, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
"A few minutes later you'll hear an explosion noise and get a message about how much damage the explosion did to Bishop. The first time I did this it crashed the game, so it's a bit risky."

Something similar happened to me when I (spoiled because I don't recall if it was ever covered) Dropped the mine on Pretty Boy Floyd after he dug up the grave.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MaskedHuzzah posted:

Something similar happened to me when I (spoiled because I don't recall if it was ever covered) Dropped the mine on Pretty Boy Floyd after he dug up the grave.

It was covered, I think. In fact, I think that was in the original playthrough.

I'm pretty sure the game mostly is having problems processing explosion effects that happen on a screen other than the one the player is on; I remember a few crashes trying to blow up the outhouse in Modoc.

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

KataraniSword posted:

It was covered, I think. In fact, I think that was in the original playthrough.

I'm pretty sure the game mostly is having problems processing explosion effects that happen on a screen other than the one the player is on; I remember a few crashes trying to blow up the outhouse in Modoc.

I feel like this is also a thing that happens when you use your pipboy to wait out an explosion, as well. It used to crash on me all the time when I'd do that.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Man, Snake is going to be so stoked for the final boss of the game :allears:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how there are so many non-combat ways to deal with targets with a giant armed escort.

Well, except for that guy in Vault City.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Sneaking Mission: Update 6

"So this is the next set of missions? What's this guy's problem?"

"Roid rage, from the look of it. Okay Snake, your next mission takes you back to the Mordino casino. Wasn't there something hidden there?"

"At least it was in the toilet tank and not in the toilet bowl."

For a less direct method you can follow after Pretty Boy Lloyd, but this results in a fight rather than the dialogue driven option where you can make Lloyd dig his own grave. Since dropping a mine on Lloyd doesn't count as a kill, that's the option we'll go with.

Making our first visit after doing the Richard Wright quest I noticed this, which may or may not have been there before.

Once we've done the first couple of missions for Boss Salvatore we don't get anymore, presumably because of not meeting a CH requirement. With no other options, we might as well go ahead and kill him. The simplest way to do this is to steal his oxygen tank.

"Huh. This is taking a lot longer than you'd think."

"Wait, you've thought about how it would take for an old man to suffocate if you turned off his oxygen?"

"It seemed like the kind of thing that might be important someday."

"Uh… Snake, is there something you want to talk about?"

"Nope. Although I should probably sneak out before anybody notices this."

Being less than respectful to Big Jesus means he won't offer you a position as a Made Man. This avoids the necessity of turning him down and starting a fight. Alternatively, giving Big Jesus just about any drug will give him a heart attack and kill him.

With all said and done, it's time to go ahead and get a Made Man title. I'm sure some of you will see the reasoning for this name. That said, there's at least one more thing we can do this time, and it requires a trip to Bishop's casino.

"How'd she know it was me?"

"It might have been the way you snickered the entire way down the hallway after the explosion that killed her father."

We can also, while we're here, go ahead sand talk to Mrs. Bishop about her plans now that she's a widow. With an appropriate check you can encourage her to move on with her life. You get 1000 xp for doing so.

With the intelligence from Bishop's safe, we can go ahead and investigate another area, although it's usually more of a combative mission. I may have mentioned this before, but having the raider map always ensures that you can sneak in to the Raider camp.

"Otacon, is it me or these guys talking got themselves?"

"If these are the Vault City raiders, they've been out here for a while… they might be going a bit strange in the caves."

"Any further and they'll see me…

Reporting back about their location goes pretty similarly, with us being sent over to see Lynette.

"You have? Excellent! But the city guards are already stretched thin… What about you? Could you end the attacks? I'll pay you."

"Yeah, not my kind of gig. I deal with my crazed former bosses and freak teams of emotionally traumatized mutants exclusively. That's not your only problem, though.."

At this point, that pretty much ends our options with this quest line that don't involve mass carnage. I'm committed to a low single-digit body count on this one.

Instead, we'll go out west to do what we can in Redding.

One of the interesting things we can see with the use of stealing is that the various townspeople are carrying around mine scrip instead of cash. In addition...

"Huh… I knew that Redding had a jet problem, but I didn't think the mayor would be packing."

"Well, at least the Sheriff isn't carrying. Ooh, nice needle gun!"

"I guess you're… nope."

"His is in his desk."

"That could be evidence he's… uh.. saving for a trial?"

"This town has a sheriff and a mayor, not a judge or a trial system. I'm pretty sure they're not big on evidence."

Skipping right past the Widow Rooney, when we go to break up the fight in the bar the individual aggressor have their respective mine scrip as well as guns in their pockets.

"Asphalt cowboy? What does that even mean?"

"I've heard of a rhinestone cowboy… maybe she's just confused?"

"Dead or alive she's coming with me… and if I can keep up the bluff, it'll be alive. Much easier that way."

If you don't already know where to go to find the villain who cut up the whore at the Malamute Saloon, there actually is an attempt to turn this into a detective story. The evidence is a Morningstar Mine scrip that was in her hand when she was found. After that it's just a matter of heading over to the Morningstar bunks and finding the guy who'll confess to you.

If you don't know about San Francisco at this point either, the bartender will point you in its general direction… although south and kind of west isn't exactly very helpful.

"Wait, you want me to give me money? You've got to be 50 if you're a day. Isn't this supposed to be the other way around?"

"Starting to think about what you might do for a living if you stop being a soldier?"

"At least you know up front what you're in for."

Going on with the stealing theme, Doc Johnson is a good source of free medical supplies… and mentats. Is there any person in a position of authority who isn't on them?

He and his assistant are also a pretty good source of bizarre dialogue. Oh Ratt, don't ever change.

"So… this is where Jimmy Hoffa has been for the past 20 years?"

"Close, but no cigar. That's Jimmy Hoffy. One letter off."

"Whatever. I'm just surprised nobody wants me to kill him and then stash the body somewhere where it won't be found."

"Huh. Spoke to soon. Wrong guy, but same principle. Still not doing it."

"Well, there's still the mines themselves…"

"That doesn't sound too bad…"

"OTACON!"

"Uh… I was GOING to tell you about them, I promise."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
"You were critically hit for no damage. Feel the pain." is one of the best scroll lines I've ever seen.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Glazius posted:

"You were critically hit for no damage. Feel the pain." is one of the best scroll lines I've ever seen.

Interestingly, Wanamingos pretty much can not punch through anything better than Metal Armor without an armor-ignoring critical, and do pretty crappy damage aside (though still enough to wear you down if you're in crappy armor). Instead, they give you hefty doses of radiation each time they hit.

Unlike in the first game, though, I don't think Radiation is ever a life-threatening problem, unless you go for like, the entire game without ever getting cleansed or popping some RadAway.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Yeah, radiation only matters if you have a huge constant source like The Glow. The attacks of the Wanamingos are the closest things to that in this game but they aren't near that strong. Any dose that isn't life threatening won't do more than cause you to pop out of the travel map with some flavor text about your symptoms.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
They tried to increase the danger and relevance in Fallout 3, but they overdid it, so taking a bath in any pool of water is a death sentence.

I am fairly certain the developers of Fallout 1 & 2 actually did some research into the effect of fallout and radiation, while it doesn't seem like Bethesda grasps the subject beyond "magic juice hurts".

It's kind of ridiculous.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

They tried to increase the danger and relevance in Fallout 3, but they overdid it, so taking a bath in any pool of water is a death sentence.

I am fairly certain the developers of Fallout 1 & 2 actually did some research into the effect of fallout and radiation, while it doesn't seem like Bethesda grasps the subject beyond "magic juice hurts".

It's kind of ridiculous.

New Vegas handled radiation better than 3 I believe. Food and water would usually give you some minuscule rads, and there were non-irradiated bathrooms (not too common), and most bodies of water weren't radioactive. As for 'ambient' radiation, there were some pools of goo around, which would really irradiate you if you went too near.

It makes sense really, considering that the Mojave wasn't hit too badly (according to the Fallout wiki), and taking into account that it took place more than 200 years after the bombs fell (as did Fallout 3, which makes it make even less sense in that regard). Fallout 2 itself took place 80 years after 1, so it's not too surprising that radiation was less of a pain. Not sure how real-world accurate is, but we all know how closely Fallout sticks to real-world science. :v:

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
The Dakka Way - Update 6

Since we aren't actually hostile to the NCR people outside the gate, there's another quest that requires you to be a bit of a dickhead. Most people probably don't realize it, but you can actually do a quest for the slavers in NCR.

The map is on a bench in the garage. It'd be more of a problem if we hadn't already slaughtered everyone inside.

While we're at it, there's also quite a stash of ammunition stored away at the police station.

Somehow I don't think we really have to worry.

While we're in the neighborhood, we can also stop by Vault 13. We're not going to be helpful here, because this isn't that kind of playthrough. Amusingly enough, despite our status as a childkilling graverobbing mass-murderer Gruthar would be willing to let us in. Evidently the check references your total karma, not your specific actions.

Dakka still murders his way down to the bottom of the Vault. Instead of the carnage that resulted, think of fluffy kittens instead. Oh, and Goris decides to pick a fight with us. He's DEFINITELY not on the companion list. Then again, with two bozars we couldn't really keep friends anyway.

We're actually done with Bishop at this point, since delivering the briefcase to him counted as a quest as well.

We've got an offer on the table, but we can't actually accept without hearing more.

Bottom line is that Bishop doesn't give two shits about what we want, he just wants our capacity for slaughter at his beck and call. For this game, we'll go along with it.

Going to talk to the kids around the Wright household in power armor produces a couple of different conversations. There's a lot of motivation for slaughtering children in this game.

Or not. Kinda with you there, kid.

Now that we're Made Men for the Bishop Family, he starts to object to us nailing his wife. If you get caught this way you're pretty much going to have to shoot your way out. Alternatively you can try to sneak past and avoid notice if you have decent stealth skills. Now that I think about it, I don't know exactly how he reacts to you and his daughter at this point...

Moving on, we've actually done enough terrible things that we've started to attract bounty hunters. If you look closely they're wearing power armor and using miniguns, gauss weapons, and energy weapons. We actually can't handle these guys right now.

Now that we've finally made it to San Francisco we can support Lo Pan against the Dragon in the fighting tournament. Unlike the Dragon, Lo Pan doesn't give two shits about your qualifications and doesn't want you to test your skills. If you're willing to fight, he'll happily point you on your way.

Remember when I mentioned that this is one of the buggiest sections of the game? Somehow Lo Pan ended up stuck in the ring. I can't claim my reward, but he seems pretty happy in there with the Dragon's corpse.

Going on to the tanker, it seems our reputation has preceded us. Just… the wrong part of our reputation.

While we're working with different factions in San Francisco, we can do a few quests for the Hubologists and side with them against the Shi.

The first mission is to kill Badger, the guy who was able to help us with the fuel for the tanker. But how to do it...

Turns out Badger has a LOT of HP. I didn't have enough Super Stims to finish him off.

Killing him with our firearms would precipitate a fight with all the vagrants on the tanker. They've actually got some pretty serious weapons, so we don't want to go in that direction. One of them even has a unique weapon:

The XL70E3 fires 5mm ammo in an 8 round burst and has a pretty decent damage per round. It's still not that great for late game.

Instead, the simplest way to kill Badger is to ask him for a favor.

If you have him steal fuel from the Shi and wait a couple of days, they'll come to pick him up and drag him off to a fair trial followed by an execution. You still get credit for killing him.

Finishing that first quest unlocks a couple more. They want us to kill the Emperor, but they also need Vertibird plans. I kind of messed this one up, since I had already given the Vertibird plans to the Shi. You can get another copy… but that requires you to ask Badger to retrieve them along with the fuel. Since he's already dead, that path is closed.

Dealing with the Emperor we have a couple of options. Talking to Ken Lee he's quite willing to give us a code to access the Emperor Computer.

At that point we can just hit format c: and kill the Emperor off that way.

For some reason the Shi don't take that too well. On the plus side, they've got some sweet weapons we can pick up off of their perforated corpses.

The coding is a bit tighter here, and slaughtering the entire palace will also require us to shoot our way out of the city. That might be a bit inconvenient, so we won't do that.

There's an option in the computer to copy the Vertibird plans, but it's unfortunately bugged and doesn't actually do anything. We really are kind of stuck at this point.

Exploring a bit further in the Shi compound we can also find this gentleman, who'll pay top dollar for some hardened power armor. We don't have any, and he's kind of a jerk, so that's not happening either.

Luckily the Hubologists aren't terribly bright, and if Ken Lee dies they'll think that the Emperor was killed and give you full marks for completing the quest. His guards don't see anything strange about the fact that you put about 13 Super Stims into his back and waited for him to die.

Reporting our success back to AHS-9, we receive the unsurprising news that he's a huge rear end in a top hat and doesn't care about us now that we've finished his mission. There's a reason why most people only complete the Shi quests, aside from the whole Scientology thing.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Does the Hubologist decide to attack the big man in the power armor with the big guns? His emanations are not very luminous.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How are the Hubologists even armed, anyway? Plasma weaponry, or what?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Mostly FN-FAL rifles and a few scattered Pancor Jackhammers, if I recall correctly. Nothing that's going to put a big dent in a character wearing Advanced Power Armor. I think AHS-9 might have an energy pistol of some sort, but A) he's the only one who has one, and B) he usually dies before he gets a chance to use it, in my playthroughs at any rate.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Random encounter Hubologists tend to carry plasma grenades but I don't remember if the home office ones do. Those can itch a bit, even in APA.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!

Schwartzcough posted:

Does the Hubologist decide to attack the big man in the power armor with the big guns? His emanations are not very luminous.

Even he's not that dumb. He just tells you to screw off and ignores you.

Meaty Ore posted:

Mostly FN-FAL rifles and a few scattered Pancor Jackhammers, if I recall correctly. Nothing that's going to put a big dent in a character wearing Advanced Power Armor. I think AHS-9 might have an energy pistol of some sort, but A) he's the only one who has one, and B) he usually dies before he gets a chance to use it, in my playthroughs at any rate.

I think a few of them have assault rifles, but the Jackhammers tend to stick in your mind a bit more. AHS-9 actually doesn't have any weapons, but he apparently has small guns and energy weapons skills of more than 120.

ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Sneaking Mission - Update 7

"Snake, I'm starting to regret telling you about how those things work."

"Hey, the other alternative was starting a gunfight when I was already completely surrounded. That's actually crazier than jamming him full of medicine until he dies."

"I wish I could argue with you. Anyway, you still have to free the slaves out back… hold on, let me move the clock forward."

"Much better. I don't know what he was paying these guys or if he was paying them, but whatever it was it was too much. Even if it was nothing."

"Yeah, it was a pretty tough fight… not the toughest I've had, but pretty hard."

"I can't believe you're actually trying to sell that line of crap to her."

"Hey, I got a reward out of it didn't I? Besides, like most people she cares about results more than methods."

"Speaking of which, we need to head back to Vault City. Now, repeat after me…"

"Does this actually mean anything?"

"Don't ask me, I'm not a biologist. If we were talking about wires, gears, and nuclear weapons I could tell you more but I'm just using the designer notes."

"Forget something, Snake?"

"Shhh… I know he can't hear you, but the base commander is RIGHT there."

"You're the only one who could pull this off, Snake. You've got to be inches from being detected right now!"

"You'd think so, but I'm pretty sure he's deaf. Or has headphones on under there or something. There's no way he'd miss me trying to open this lock."

"Snake! The base is going into high alert!"

"I… ow… figured that out already."

"Looks like I'm in the clear… they're far enough back that they're starting to accidentally hit the faster guys who are chasing me."

"Keep going, Snake! For whatever reason they don't have anybody ahead of you. If you can get past the gas station you'll be able to evade."

"A water chip?!"

"That goes back to the previous version of the simulation. I don't know why these guys would know about it."

And with that, we're back to the beginning of the end again. This time we don't have any reason to leave San Francisco after we get started.

"Chinatown, huh? My kind of place..."

The guards and the doctor have some decent items that you can steal, including H&K G11s like the one you see here.

For some reason the merchants are also a bit bugged, and any money you give them ends up in their personal inventory rather than the shop inventory. Assuming you've got enough money to buy one of the most expensive things you want, you pretty much have all the money you need at this point.

Other than that, the peasantry running around here have absolutely nothing of value. And yes, I did check every single one of them. It took forever.

Moving ahead to the fighting tournament, you can see another outstanding bug right here. Snake is fighting the Dragon, but he's also outside the ring. It's not unusual for guards or other people nearby to react, and for some reason this time the Dragon decided he wanted to watch the fight.

Continuing on with the rest of San Francisco we head back into the palace. There's not terribly much to steal, but the guards are much better armed and have a pretty good supply of 2mm ammo. They're holding their weapons, however, so we can't just pick those off.

Next destination: The Tanker. Once we've talked with Chip and gotten his spleen replacement settled that creates a window to do some exploring.

The vagrants on the tanker are as well or better armed than the guards at the Hubologist compound and the palace guards, including the previously mentioned unique assault rifle. It makes a lot more sense why nobody's told them to shove off.

"Otacon, there's something wrong… there are people standing outside the walls of the tanker but I can still see them. It's weird as hell."

"What? Oh! Yeah, that's not supposed to happen. Just… uh.. try not to notice them and keep doing what you're doing. We're almost done!"

"This thing just keeps getting weirder and weirder… maybe next time we'll… ugh… talk about your feelings."

I decided to try and play both sides of the Hubologist/Shi conflict, since that seemed like a good plan. Unfortunately this included having Badger get the plans for me, like I mentioned before.

Unfortunately the next thing they need is oil, and with Badger having already gotten oil for the tanker we can't have him swap oil to the Hubologists. In theory we can hack into the computer that the Shi have and change this, but not with Snake's build.

On the way out, we can also pick up the best shotgun in the game from the Hubologist guards. With that we've reached the limit of what we can do here without mass combat, and the head of the Hubologists has WAY too much HP to use Super Stims to take him out.

"Alright Snake, this is it!"

"And you promise me there's not a Metal Gear in here?"

"Uh… nope, no Metal Gear. Not one."

"I know you're holding something back from me… fine. Let's see what it is."

"Sorry about that... I just don't know how to explain. It'll make more sense when you see it."

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, whatever's at the end of this mission certainly isn't the missing link between infantry and artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

The Dragon was watching himself fight Snake? Maybe he has a body-double. Or has mastered the Shadow Clone Jutsu.

• Locked thread