Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Everyone: the growling hiss of dozens of Mammona's Children rises behind you as Tony suggests you all get the gently caress out of there.

You all turn to face one last, awful horror. The Children are coming, fast, sprinting in a wide arc, destroying any human that has the misfortune to be in their path, which from what you can see, seems to be everyone in the cavern.

There are no survivors among the offers and families closest to the cave from which an unending horde streams forth. Tony's advice now seems sage.

Everyone make a pull- for Tony just one, for everyone else two due to Kays curse. This is for whether you escape the initial tide. You'll need to make another action after. I assume you're all running for the elevator, unless you want to go back to the courthouse? I will let tony soak caseys pulls if he would like given he's carrying Casey (so it would be three total)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

one from each deck

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

And yes ‘run’ for the elevator

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Oh and please feel free to rp in response to both Tony's kill and the wave of Children! :buddy:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tony

Someone get those lights on!

Tony starts running faster than he's ever run before (quite literally), Casey cradled in his arms

((Blue for mine, I'll leave it up to Casey if they want to rely on my luck to haul them out of here or do their own pull))

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

Mac
Joker: 0
Ace: 1

I think I blacked out.

That's the only explanation for what is currently happening.

Mammona had healed Tony but the method was so grotesque and overwhelming I mentally retreated to a safe space, not being able to cope with what my eyes were seeing.

I awaken to Tony punching Mammona in the loving eye, PUNCHING a loving DEMON! Jesus gently caress how??I hope I didn't make a mistake. I don't want superhero Tony, I want weird stoner Tony. Who knows what happens when Mammona's power influences you?

"The Children..." I realize our nightmare isn't over and sure enough, I can hear a chorus of angry hissing creatures racing toward us.

"There's flammable materials by that elevator, but I threw Kilgore's loving lighter away. I just want to destroy this whole loving room, this entire loving town." I look at Casey closely for the first time, who used to be so strong, unflappable, now shriveled and weak... Not only have I "paid" but my friends have had to pay as well, just to survive.

----
I feel lame doing the blackout to cover over everything that's happened but I am struggling to keep up as it is, lol

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac
Ace: 1

All sticking together is a bad idea, also being in the elevator feels unwise... Maybe we have better odds if we split up? I run toward the exit in the back of the cavern.

I'll use my ace and b&w for one card

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
holy hell Tony going all berserker is only made better because it loving worked hahahahahahaha

Tony is our MVP, no joke there. Sorry we left you behind!

Love the scene, so absurd. "Dear Reddit Friend won't stop sacrificing people to demon, what can I do? CHAAAAAAARGE!!!!"

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
Casey
Held Aces: 1
Pulled Jokers: 1

Tony's heroic lunge toward Mammona is probably the last thing Casey expected to see. "What the gently caress..." Casey mutters, eyes transfixed on the spectacle that is his friend recklessly attacking a demon. He picks up his broken glasses from the floor and slips them on, now watching through cracked lenses, as if he expects to see something different. "Don't you loving dare die now," he wills his friend under his breath.

Even more unbelievable is the grotesque, writhing worm Tony wrests out of the eye and stamps with finality as Mammona wilts like a rotting flower, long past its prime.

From all directions, angry chittering noises can be heard as the Children swarm to avenge their fallen Mother. This sound, coalescing into a restless hum, is reminiscent of something in a horror movie. The walls seem to come alive with emotion, with a certain voracity that can only come from evil. As Tony lifts Casey up, there's a rush of goblins that consumes everyone in sight, a wave of death unleashed upon the spectators. Razor teeth glint in the dying light of the torches held by the victims, until their bodies are no more, and the torches fall, unattended, to the ground.

"Tony, the switch!" Casey shouts, pointing a couple feet away from the freight elevator as they rush to avoid the mob of tommyknockers. "Hit the lights!"

---

This is madness lmao.
Also, Maer, Casey still had his lighter, you could've just asked him for it (or grabbed it, if Tony wasn't already running for his life) :P plus there were some torches in the room.

I do have a decent idea of what my next action will be, but it depends on how this pull goes. Obviously if Casey dies, the plan goes to poo poo, lol.

I'll burn my ace for one draw, and then I'll pull a card from the B&W deck.

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 13, 2022

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
:ghost:Kay:ghost:

Held aces: 0
Pulled jokers: 2

Let it all out.

You just want them to hurt.

To feel every inch of the pain you can inflict.

To stop being so loving powerless.

The rich kid, the one who wished for nothing, that was expected to do nothing, to aim for nothing.

We don't need you, just sit there and be pretty, and don't break stuff, the grown-ups are talking.

Powerless.

You can't save him. You can't save no one. You were so much of a stupid rear end to walk headfirst into a trap and die. A fitting end to an empty existance.

Useless.

Powerless.

Like always.

After what seems to him like an eternity of pent-up rage release, Kay comes back to himself. If he had a breath, he'd be breathing hard right now.

In between waves of the vaguely euphoric daze that follows pure extasis, he makes out Tony's figure in the center of the stage.

Then, everything explodes. Yet again. Soundless, painless, an energy explosion that knocks him down next to Casey, two pathetic figures sitting next to each other, hands touching.

Someone just punched a god.

Shellception fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Oct 13, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Almost Everyone:

You flee before the growing mass of chittering, grinding beasts. You dance among the other lost souls and between rocks, leaping, dodging, sprinting, Tony's strong arms cradling the withered Casey like a child. It is a daring dash, and there are several moments where you all get a chance to gaze into the abyss, only the abyss is a mouth full of sawing razors and it wants your appendages.

You split off as you reach the middle of the cavern.

Casey and Tony:

You reach the relative safety of the passage to the freight elevator, watching the bloodbath before you. The casualties are total. There will be no survivors but you- only Mammona's psychic hold kept the Children at bay.

You heave a breath for a split second while you try to figure out what to do next- looking at each other, thankful you're all alive, you can't believe it!

Wait... one, two, three, weren't there four of us? Where's Frank?!

Frank:

Your "friends" pay little heed to the fact that your ankle remains completely hosed. You watch with a sort of detached disappointment (surprised, but also not really surprised) as they fly away from you, leaving naught but dust in their wake. They didn't even say goodbye! Not even a "heyo, get hosed Frankyyy!"

It is with the same detached quality that you are knocked to the ground and watch your left leg (not the one with the hosed ankle, natch) disappear down the gullet of one of those loving little shits. It chomps down midway through your thigh and you quickly lose the detachment. Your face is covered in your own blood and the pain hits, a stream of glass shards shot into your groin and then stitching up your spine. Your muscles spasm and tighten, squeezing your back into a knot and pulling a scream from your mouth.

But the little poo poo doesn't stop at your leg. It continues chomping well into your guts, and as your back finally stops spasming you're able to lean up and see that just as suddenly as it starts, the goblin stops eating you and moves to a woman nearby. You mean nothing to it- you are just organic matter, and have been dropped like an old, broken toy.

There is still pain, but it is mostly mental anguish now, as you get to watch the pink, slimy sausages that are your intestines slide out of your body cavity and spill across the ground. Your hands grab them, feebly trying to put them back in, but you are open, now, and no amount of desire or hope will close you. Your life ends at the very moment that you realize no one is coming to help, no one to aid in pushing your bowels back in, that you have been abandoned, forgotten, a black sheep indeed. The agnoy is exquisite.

sorry, Frank:(

I need split second action from the last three

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 13, 2022

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Fraaaaaahnc 😭 seems his luck has finally run out.

Lets see... There's the light switch by the elevator, and Casey has a camera, a lighter, and Kay's phone. I'm guessing Tony ran for the elevator but Mac ran toward the courthouse? What's our (doomed) plan?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

jeeeeez, that is... a way to die, indeed. Poor Frank!

... we should stop forgetting to pick up people, huh.

Also just realized - it was Frank the last one who fled the house and left Tony alone with Nana... and it was Tony who fled the cave and left Frank with the demons. Lol.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Such irony, lmao.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Mac:

You reach the back stairs and sprint up them, maybe you're not quite at Tony's level but drat if a bit of juice does the body good. You move quickly up the track and as you round the final corner, a rifle shot deafens you and splinters rock a foot from where your head was a moment before.

The man holding the rifle looks terrified, as are the other two surrounding him.

The man who shot yells out

"Holy gently caress, I almost killed you! What happened down there?"

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey
Held Aces: 0

As Tony hoists him with purpose in the direction of the old freight elevator, Casey pulls out his camera. "Keep going," he urges his friend as he flicks on the camera flash and aims the apparatus at the dismal scene behind them, over Tony's shoulder. Maybe he can temporarily blind the creatures, if they come too close.

When they near the light switch, Casey elbows Tony hard. "The switch, doofus," he hisses, just as a gutwrenching cry rings out from the cavern behind them.

Frank.
Oh, poo poo. They forgot him.

And where the gently caress did Mac run off to??

We're all going to die here, Casey concludes grimly, lowering the camera as he glances up uncertainly at Tony.

---

Since Tony's the one doing the running, I guess I'm waiting on him to see what he wants to do.

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 13, 2022

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Next moments all play out in a blur. Darkness, coming out from everywhere at once, filling the cave in seconds like the smoke from an oil fire filling a kitchen. The Children are terrifying from human eyes - but from the other side, they are... balls of darkness. Chaos. Pure uncontrolled dark energy, the dam that kept them at bay having been broken in half by a single punch from a man.

How do you even kill a god?

Screams.

Hell coming for its share of souls. It has been long enough.

Darkness swirls around Kay, making him disoriented. Hard to see a thing, hard to move around.

Casey is gone.

Did they get him? Please, no.

Screaming and chaos fills the place as a mass of lost souls try to find an out, any out. A couple fallen torches have started very physical fires, too.

Where is he?

Please, no.

He... they must be alive. It can't just end like this, can it? Surely, he'd know if they had...

The thought hurts a bit. He tries his best to phase chaos out, to concentrate. And it pays off - he can actually feel a small signal, like a candle light, some distance away. Tony.

Turns out, gods are freaking powerful.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

wrote this as Mammona's power having made Tony into a bit of a god himself, but then realized there was a flash in play too, lol.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
this ghost posting is compelling af

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

ikr, I'm enjoying this too

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'm getting a little lost here do you need a pull from me?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Opopanax posted:

I'm getting a little lost here do you need a pull from me?

just an action at this point. Escape up the elevator, set a fire, turn on lights, etc. Pulls may come later.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tony

Tony hauls rear end up to the elevator, Casey in tow. He sees the switch along the way that Casey pointed out and turns it on, hoping to get the lights going.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Oh was I actually supposed to submit anything or am I good for now?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

WindwardAway posted:

Oh was I actually supposed to submit anything or am I good for now?

you are good. Tony's gonna hit the lights and you both are going on the elevator. What awaits you at the top... :shrug:

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Tony

Tony gets into the elevator and looks back.

Oh poo poo, Frank! No!

He scans around and spots Mac, and debates just leaving without her. Memories outweigh emotions though and decides to give her 10 seconds to catch up

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Mac ran up a different tunnel, back to the courthouse

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac
Ace: 0

I shout "RUN!" and continue sprinting up the tunnel. I don't know if those creatures are close to me but I'm not stopping to find out. If I make it outside I'll look for Tony and Casey... assuming it's safe out there. Who knows what could be happening beyond the courthouse doors.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Tony and Casey:

Tony flips out a hand in passing and flips the large, red-handled switch that powers the lights.

There is a metallic shuddering and then the lights burst into life. The glare is blinding for a moment, and then as your eyes adjust you see the Children panic, screaming like injured rabbits as they immediately flee back towards the safety of the cave.

Tony steps onto the elevator, setting Casey down and hitting the "UP" button.

The ride is slow, but you feel the exhilaration of what feels like finally getting out of this hellish landscape.

It takes 5 minutes as you rise through a lit column of rock, eventually rising into a short cave. Tony pulls Casey into his side and acts as his crutch, walking you both out into a gravel parking lot lit by spotlights. A scattering of vehicles is here, along with two men who have pistols on their hips.

They heard the elevator coming, and were expecting you.

"Who are you? Are things done already? Where are Jake and Pete?"

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

oh dear

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Mac:

"Oh gently caress!"

Everyone panics. The armed goons lead the way, crashing up through the trapdoor and leading you into the courthouse.

They slam the trap shut, and quickly lock it.

You push through them as they pester you with questions. Ignoring them, you jog out to the front of the courthouse.

You stop short of your SUV, as there is a beady-eyed woman in a shawl on the steps.

She stands as you come out, and then her eyes widen in surprise.

"It's you! Did it work? Are you the Ringer? Where is everyone else?"

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac

"Where is who? The Children devoured almost everyone I think. I need to find my friends if they even made it out. Who are you? Did what work?"

I start to panic being here alone; I still feel unsafe, I'll feel unsafe until this place is far far FAR behind me.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I got lost at some point and read things as Mac having come out from the passage on some cave or something and been almost shot by a passing hunter, so by my account she just time glitched back inside the courthouse and came out the proper way, lol. Ghost time may be coming a bit unwound somehow

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Shellception posted:

I got lost at some point and read things as Mac having come out from the passage on some cave or something and been almost shot by a passing hunter, so by my account she just time glitched back inside the courthouse and came out the proper way, lol. Ghost time may be coming a bit unwound somehow

Casey and Tony went out a side passage, basically, and are now halfway up the mountain. Mac split off and ran back out the way everyone came in, through the courthouse.

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

Casey

"At least you're putting my muscles to good use," Casey joked, attempting to lighten the mood as they ascended the elevator, but there was no levity in his voice. In all honesty, there wasn't really anything left that could be considered a laughing matter. Half of their group had suffered horrible, agonizing deaths, and the two standing anxiously in the elevator had swapped a good amount of body muscle, which felt all sorts of wrong.

The elevator dings eerily as it slows to a stop. Doors open to reveal... a loving nightmare.

Of course. There's no way it would ever be a cakewalk to get out of this hellhole, would it? Casey wears his unease on his face, a puff of smoke and disappointment escaping from his mouth.

That degrading voice in the back of his mind is whispering to him again. It's urging him to give up; there's always going to be something else waiting around every corner, so why bother?

But Casey pushes the unpleasant voice aside, choosing to ignore it. He steps toward the unfriendly men with Tony's help, and pulls the cigarette out of his mouth to speak. "There's a new Bell-Ringer," he tells them matter-of-factly, trying his best to keep up a pokerface. "Go find her if you want answers."

---

Casey is about halfway between terrified and beyond caring, lol.

WindwardAway fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 13, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Mac:

As you look at this woman, whose face is lined with worry, you realize you do recognize her. This is Marylou, a good friend of your grandmother.

As you say that everyone is dead, she becomes stricken.

"They're all dead?! You were supposed to help us! Wilma said you would fix it, you were strong, new blood! What have you done?!!"

Her panic is rising, and it makes your panic rise in turn. The men empty out of the courthouse behind you just as Marylou throws herself at you, clawing at your face with her frail hands. You grapple her easily; it would take barely any effort to heave her to the ground.

One of the men steps forward, a questioning look on his face.

"Uh..." He's not making any immediate moves.

You feel your car keys like a boulder in your pocket.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Casey:

The man narrows his eyes at you, and draws his pistol.

"Nah, that's not gonna work. How about you two just stand right there and we wait for Jake and Pete to get up."

He nods at Tony.

"Send that elevator back down, boy."

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Follow the light.

Kay is not sure if he's even allowed to leave the mine - how does this ghostly business even work, anyway? Should he stay here for all eternity and go all boo to tourists coming to Visit the Great Historical Ritual Site in like, 3022? Even for someone used to doing not much, the thought doesn't seem all that appealing.

He jumps in anticipation when he sees the giant figure of Tony, carrying Casey out. They did it, they got out!

... where is Frank?

He feels a sway of vertigo. Ok, no, don't think of it.

Did all those people die because you...?

Did Frank die...?

gently caress.

Don't lose control again.

Deep breaths.

He follows the elevator up, not exactly... inside it, but tagging to it, and to Tony, his soul somehow acting like a beacon. Doesn't seem like there is a problem to leave, for now.

Is Casey alive? He looks alive. Where is a doctor when you need one???

Kay relaxes when he sees him get on his own feet, even if aided by Tony.

Two goons with guns. Of course, it can't be so easy.

Kay bites his lip. As good as uncontrolled ghost cursing rage feels, people die when you do that. And right now, maybe, there's been more than enough dying around.

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

Mac

"You were sitting up here just waiting, waiting for what? I don't have time for this, I need to find my friends. If you weren't down there why don't we go together, you can see what you missed." I cry out "TONY!!"

If I go back and to the elevator the lights are on/no Children are there or there's still unlit areas? Also I imagine Casey/Tony are too far away but hope not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindwardAway
Aug 22, 2022

uh well apparently we're halfway up the mountain lol