Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If I was going to use my bike for all the things I use my car I would want storage that mounts to the bike, not just my shoulders. Stuff like liquid groceries gets heavy. For big loads you can always use the backpack as well.

Goretex gloves or no I would also think about heated grips or heated underlayers. Depends on local climate (if you're Cali it's probs unnecessary)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Goretex gloves do no work properly with heated grips. If it rains, the greater heat from the grips will force water vapor into the glove (same mechanism that allows perspiration to "breathe" out of goretex, just reversed).

The ideal approach is to limit water exposure at the exterior of the handgrip area, such as by using hippo hands or tusk hand mitts.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

So I'm doing a gear checklist so I can be completely car-independent from now until eternity since I 1. hate driving and 2. like riding motorcycles. Here's what I have so far:

1. Aerostich Roadcrafter (hell yeah bros) and helmet with a pinlock visor
2. Sidi Vertigos with Nelson Riggs waterproof overboots
3. Olympia Cold Weather Goretex Gloves and my Sedici regular leather gloves
4. Tire inflation kit
5. Kriega R30 Waterproof Backpack
6. Entire set of tools for doing every job on the bike, plus various lubes (aww yeah)
7. Baklava

Is there anything else I'm missing or should consider if I'm gonna be using my bike 99% of the time?

I would consider a down vest. Unless your hulk muscles are stretching the seams of your Roadcrafter, a down vest will loft up nicely in the dead space left around your torso and offer the best insulation-to-weight-to-convenience ratio of anything you can buy. It will also help seal up your neck/collar area. I got a $100 Marmot vest from REI while on the road, but you may be able to score something cheaper from Cabelas online.

Before winter starts I would treat the suit with Nikwax. Be very careful to not use too much product, use an industrial washer, secure ALL the velcro, and don't let it dry too long. Better to line-dry after you let the machine get rid of the sopping wetness.

I'd also recommend figuring out an easy way to secure your gear when you want to look like a normal human. A topcase that fits boots and suit is good most of the time. You could also get a long cable with crimped loop ends made at a hardware store, and run it through your suit and secure your boots somehow. The downside here is that you need to be careful about how you drape the stored suit over the bike, in the rain. A cable lock strategy pretty much calls for a motorcycle cover to keep the rain off. There are lightweight but durable covers out there that pack down into the size of a softball.

My personal experience with overboots is highly negative. I hate pulling over to deal with changing conditions, and overboots are a pain in the dick. I'd either recommend the Sidi Adventure Rain Gore-tex boots, or get some Klim Gore-tex socks/liners and just let your regular boots get wet on the outside. The Klim stuff is pretty innocuous once you put it on.

And for AP credit you should do something I never did: Put white LED strip/area lighting on your bike. Getting to your bike in the dark and fumbling in either routine tasks or in emergency maintenance is annoying. I wish I could flip a switch and have a bit of light around the bike.

What are you doing for moto luggage?

MotoMind fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Sep 16, 2012

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Xovaan posted:

I can't believe I typed this :eng99: it's stuck in my head from the guy at Cycle Gear correcting me from balaclava.

What I've found works well for lower face covering is something called a 'buff'. It's like a stretchy tube of fabric that comes in many different colors and styles and does an excellent job of keeping my neck warm. You can get them at REI or just order directly from the company that makes them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Thanks for all the replies, guys! Everything is helping a ton.

MotoMind posted:

I would consider a down vest. Unless your hulk muscles are stretching the seams of your Roadcrafter, a down vest will loft up nicely in the dead space left around your torso and offer the best insulation-to-weight-to-convenience ratio of anything you can buy. It will also help seal up your neck/collar area. I got a $100 Marmot vest from REI while on the road, but you may be able to score something cheaper from Cabelas online.

Before winter starts I would treat the suit with Nikwax. Be very careful to not use too much product, use an industrial washer, secure ALL the velcro, and don't let it dry too long. Better to line-dry after you let the machine get rid of the sopping wetness.

I'd also recommend figuring out an easy way to secure your gear when you want to look like a normal human. A topcase that fits boots and suit is good most of the time. You could also get a long cable with crimped loop ends made at a hardware store, and run it through your suit and secure your boots somehow. The downside here is that you need to be careful about how you drape the stored suit over the bike, in the rain. A cable lock strategy pretty much calls for a motorcycle cover to keep the rain off. There are lightweight but durable covers out there that pack down into the size of a softball.

My personal experience with overboots is highly negative. I hate pulling over to deal with changing conditions, and overboots are a pain in the dick. I'd either recommend the Sidi Adventure Rain Gore-tex boots, or get some Klim Gore-tex socks/liners and just let your regular boots get wet on the outside. The Klim stuff is pretty innocuous once you put it on.

And for AP credit you should do something I never did: Put white LED strip/area lighting on your bike. Getting to your bike in the dark and fumbling in either routine tasks or in emergency maintenance is annoying. I wish I could flip a switch and have a bit of light around the bike.

What are you doing for moto luggage?

A down vest sounds great but I'm kind of wary about Nikwax. Do I take it to a laundromat and do it there or what? How long does it last?

For securing gear, I was gonna use my long cable and a lock for the bike and if it's raining I'll just wear it around campus. I am not getting a job until after I'm completely done with college so I don't have to worry about looking presentable for at least another year. The next option for me would be a large topcase-- as you stated-- but that will be down the road after things I would consider more of a priority, including goretex boots, the vest, and replacing the head gasket/valves/clutch bucket/brakes on my bike for preventative maintenance since the bike has 60k miles.

I was also thinking about installing the LED's or at the very least having several powerful LED flashlights with magnets taped to them for placing around the bike.

Oh, and I already have a buff. They work great but the balaclava does the same thing from what I've discovered when I tuck it down into my suit.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I don't like a balaclava since my helmet actually fits on my head properly. ;) The buff is very thin but really cuts the wind chill as you might know. I have to wear woollen socks and handlebar muffs before the buff isn't adequate enough.

But when that time comes I've got two to wear. :q:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The Nikwax is something you do yourself at a laundromat with an industrial frontloader. Your suit is waterproof thanks to the liner. The nikwax gives the shell a DWR coating to reduce claminess, waterlogging and give the liner and seams an easier job. It is not necessary, you can wait until you feel it may help.

KARMA! posted:

I don't like a balaclava since my helmet actually fits on my head properly. ;) The buff is very thin but really cuts the wind chill as you might know. I have to wear woollen socks and handlebar muffs before the buff isn't adequate enough.

There is a turtle fur product that combines the best of both. The neck is thick, while the head liner is very thin. Still, there is a risk of pressure points.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

KARMA! posted:

The Rev'It balaclava I have has pretty awesome. The top is compression-type material and extremely thin so it works really well at ensuring the material doesn't slide around when I put on my helmet. The helmet pretty solidly tight, too, as a frame of reference. :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I never liked balaclavas because it's just a pain to get a helmet on over them without them bunching up and feeling uncomfortable. I've had a little luck with this: http://www.schampa.com/product_p/hlmskrt01.htm Although admittedly it's ugly as poo poo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I rolled with a helmet skirt tucked inside my jacket for toys for tots (December ride in Chicago) a couple years ago. At 20 degrees against expressway winds it was a godsend. Any exposed skin at lower temps gets so cold it stings, goes numb, and then starts to dully ache causing you to worry about frost bite etc instead of that big rear end truck that is pulling in front of you. Get whatever it takes to cover up everything.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Got my new helmet today, from eBay.

Helmet is newish, and the sticker on the shield says XL, but the tag on the inside says S and it definitely doesn't fit.

gently caress everything.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Don't wear this one outside and return it.

If you bought XL and the seller misrepresented the size based on the shield only you have recourse assuming they have any sort of seller rating they wish to protect.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yep, that's the plan. I can't find any other new EXO-1000s in matte online, so I might just make that my excuse to splurge on an 1100 or something. :haw:

Edit: Found a local shop that ordered me an 1100 for $264 including tax. gently caress yes.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 18, 2012

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Xovaan posted:

Maybe it's different for visors, but I've always hated Rain-X for cars.

My experience is limited even with the car side of things but years back I bought a car which I presume had something like Rain-X on the windscreen. On the drive home we drove through a downpour at night, and the raindrops smashed in to millions of tiny droplets instead of running off as they do on an untreated screen. It was loving terrifying, I couldn't see poo poo all of a sudden.

Erm, poo poo. I thought I was on the last page. Disregard!

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 18, 2012

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I never liked balaclavas because it's just a pain to get a helmet on over them without them bunching up and feeling uncomfortable. I've had a little luck with this: http://www.schampa.com/product_p/hlmskrt01.htm Although admittedly it's ugly as poo poo.

Don't care. This thing is going to solve all my problems. This plus a scarf and I'm going to be nice and warm.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Anyone know if the Delmar is getting discontinued? It's on closeout at Revzilla with only one size (too small) available.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Help me understand "Unisex" sizing for riding pants?

A lot of the pants I find online have a "Unisex" sizing menu. Where I have seen any chart for translating those sizes, Unisex must actually mean "Hobbit."

In grown-up pants, I wear a 34" inseam, and somewhere in the 34-36 waist (I continue to lose weight you see :smug:)

The Unisex charts don't list inseams above 31" or so, until you need a 40+ waist.

:wtc:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Ghostnuke posted:

Anyone know if the Delmar is getting discontinued? It's on closeout at Revzilla with only one size (too small) available.

What size are you? You seemed like you'd fit into a 52 and those are still available. A 50 was a bit short on the sleeves for me but it fit perfectly for my 39-40" chest and had a 52 Rebel before that and I know for a fact a 52 would fit you well because it was pretty baggy on me. I'd say if you had the cash it's worth checking out because worst case scenario you ship it back and get a refund. I was personally very happy with mine and my friend, who now has it, says it's the best jacket he's worn. Very high quality.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Any chance someone can identify this suit? I'm craigslisting for a one piece, and the seller is dumb and doesn't know what they're selling.

ninja edit: I've done much googling and can't find a match

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Xovaan posted:

What size are you? You seemed like you'd fit into a 52 and those are still available. A 50 was a bit short on the sleeves for me but it fit perfectly for my 39-40" chest and had a 52 Rebel before that and I know for a fact a 52 would fit you well because it was pretty baggy on me. I'd say if you had the cash it's worth checking out because worst case scenario you ship it back and get a refund. I was personally very happy with mine and my friend, who now has it, says it's the best jacket he's worn. Very high quality.

They only have perforated, black/black ones in that one size. I haven't tried on any Dianese jackets yet, but going off their sizing chart I'm a 52. I don't have my heart set on that specific one or anything, was just the first one I looked at since you mentioned it the other day. It's up on Dianese's website, so it might just be Revzilla.

What's that other website that has 10% off coupons sometimes? That's a bigger discount than my 10 Revzilla bucks anyway

Edit: Goddamn, they don't have the Rebel in my size either. The Rebel is basically exactly what I want except it doesn't have any reflecty bits, though I could probably fix that with some rim tape.

Ghostnuke fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 19, 2012

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Rebel definitely is reflective-- the tape is black, though, so you don't see it unless you shine a light on it!

I liked the Delmar's bubble liner better than the Rebel, personally. Also, I'd say black/black is the best way to go, because it won't really be that much hotter than any other color, goes with any color bike you get, and won't show dirt as easily. Perforated is also the way to go, because, barring crazy high temperatures which require you to seal yourself in to prevent water and hydration loss, it will be your best bet at warding off heat in 99% of the riding you do. In cold weather, you can always cover it with a cheap wind breaker, which will be way more than enough wind protection than you'll need.

Both jackets were nice, but despite its shortcomings (literally-- as you saw, I'm very lanky) I definitely liked my Delmar better.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Alright, F this. I'm going to the Dianese store in San Francisco.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

Can anyone recommend some good spine-protector gear? Vests or jackets or whatever.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

So, I just bought an Ogio Mach 5 backpack for riding, and I love it. Crosswinds have much, much less effect than with my old normal backpack. The hard shell makes it harder to fit a ton of stuff, but the improvement in riding comfort makes it worth it. Seems like it's gonna be really weather resistant, too, but I have yet to test that. The side belt quick access pocket is really handy for my wallet/phone/work badge, and I really like the helmet carry strap.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Chiming in on Roadcrafters, as someone who has had a 2-piece for a few years.

- Don't get the 2 piece, I've never worn half of the suit.
- It's not waterproof and nikwax will not make it waterproof
- It lets wind in and is generally not great in freezing weather
- It vents OK but in super hot weather it's not great

So in spite of spending big bucks on my do-it-all suit, I still have mesh gear for the heat, have no real gear for hot weather in the rain, and for cold or cold/rainy I just bought some BMG pants and jacket since it's properly warm and waterproof and I'm going to tour europe for a few months in fall.

So don't delude yourself, there is no magic suit that can handle everything. Roadcrafter is convenient for mild weather and is easy on/off, but it costs.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Grimes posted:

Can anyone recommend some good spine-protector gear? Vests or jackets or whatever.

I thought the consensus was spine protectors short of a rigid board which kept your body straight were basically worthless :confused:

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

slidebite posted:

I thought the consensus was spine protectors short of a rigid board which kept your body straight were basically worthless :confused:
Oh I didn't know that. :unsmith:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
That'd be weird, they're proven great in every contact sport I can think of (especially the C-spine "Paralysis Button Cover"-type protection). They won't help worth a drat against anything but impact damage but should be pretty effective for that.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Splizwarf posted:

That'd be weird, they're proven great in every contact sport I can think of (especially the C-spine "Paralysis Button Cover"-type protection). They won't help worth a drat against anything but impact damage but should be pretty effective for that.

That's exactly it. You're (hopefully) not taking direct spinal contact in a crash. If you are, you're probably so hosed it doesn't matter. Abrasion resistance and armor at common impact points are more important to me personally. Chances are you're going to lowside arguably in a typical crash like locking your brakes on the street or hitting gravel, etc - you need impact protection on your hands, elbows and knees and something to cut down on road rash. Highsides too are probably going to spit you onto your hands first and then knees and then you start tumbling around. Even if you landed on your rear end you're going to be tumbling around.

Chances are you probably aren't smacking anything back-first and no back protector is going to keep your spine completely rigid enough to protect it completely. That being said, they're cheap enough that it's probably not that much a waste to wear one if you feel it necessary.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Anecdotal evidence ahoy.

I flipped and landed on my rear end/back on a rock a couple of years back. Had a Dainese Wave back protector, and still broke my pelvis in two places and shattered my tailbone (the protector ends right at your tail bone if the size is correct). The lower part looked like someone took a sledgehammer to it and then afterwards stabbed it a couple of times with a knife. Now of course there is no way to know this, but I'd say that would have been my spine had I not worn it.

I include a back plate in my ATGATT.

Grimes
Nov 12, 2005

I would assume that it would be better than nothing, and back impacts are something that really do scare the hell out of me. Do they typically go over the jacket? Under? Are there reasonably priced jackets with them built in?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
They usually go under if it's a separate back protector, or inside the jacket's liner if it is something that comes with the jacket. Most middle range to low-highend jackets will come with a foam pad in back. AFAIK, only top tier race suits come with hard armor in the back from the get go.

If you want to wear one (I do, can't see why not), your best bet to maximize its effectiveness is probably buying a separate, wearable one. I've found they tend to stay in place better with their over-the-shoulder straps and waist hookups, etc.

edit: VVV forgot about the foam-replacing inserts you can buy

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Grimes posted:

I would assume that it would be better than nothing, and back impacts are something that really do scare the hell out of me. Do they typically go over the jacket? Under? Are there reasonably priced jackets with them built in?

Under, always under. Ones that have the straps and belts make me feel a bit more protected though most jackets will have a compartment for them. A*, Dainese and Forcefied (?) make pretty decent insert ones. You need to look for one that is EN 1621 compliant too.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Also, if you buy the kind that you strap on to your back, you can remove the foam pad that came with your jacket.

Me, I have a Dainese Wave back protector that stuffs into my jacket and covers my t-spine pretty well.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Aargh posted:

Under, always under. Ones that have the straps and belts make me feel a bit more protected though most jackets will have a compartment for them. A*, Dainese and Forcefied (?) make pretty decent insert ones. You need to look for one that is EN 1621 compliant too.

Might as well go for one that is EN 1621-2/CE level 2 compliant if you're buying one. And to whomever said there's no point because you're screwed if anything hits your spine, I find that very hard to believe. If nothing else you will at least lessen the damage. I have a friend who had a bad wreck in April and is now paralyzed from a C4 fracture. He had a brand new A* jacket but no back protection of any sort. While I certainly don't know if that would have saved him from being paralyzed, it could have been the difference between being able to feel his legs or not. He can't and his his life is pretty lovely right now. I personally went and ordered a SAStec level 2 CE back insert after this happened because I know I'll wear it all the time unlike a strapped on back protector. Another friend now wears a Leatt brace on the street which mostly helps protect against spinal compression.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

slidebite posted:

Shoulder and elbow pads are pretty limited in what they can do for you, too - they certainly don't prevent twists and pulls.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'm not saying it's NEVER going to save someone. Nor can you say that wearing a padded jacket and kneepads will ALWAYS save you from a broken arm / roadrash.

There's no guarantees in any crash and all we have are anecdotal evidence of either "oh I crashed in a tshirt and I was fine!" or "my friend was wearing a full suit of platemail and he broke 176 bones in the crash!".

I think you should ride with the most amount of gear that you'll comfortably wear every time you ride. If you think you need more, you should buy it and wear it. There's no absolutes in riding.

Personally, I hope you're all safe and never learn any more about whether back protectors are needed or not because you won't crash. While I hope this is true, stay as safe as you can in the meantime as there are no guarantees in the sport.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Southern Ontario folks: Royal Distributing is having their fall tent sale on next week, 26th to 30th. Lots of decent deals to be had from the looks of the flyer I got in the mail.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Of the following:
  • Kriega R25 (coming from a Timbuk2 messenger bag)
  • Shoei Qwest (coming from an LS2 flip face helmet)
  • Sena SMH-10
  • Teiz Mojave (coming form an Olympia two piece)
  • Recon HUD to play with

which would you buy first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Seems like the Kriega might be the biggest upgrade.