Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jose Oquendo posted:

There were maybe 10 people at mine. A lot less than the Room. I think summer just might not be the best time for these.
Conversely, my theater was nearly sold out :stare: There were more people at this one than I've ever seen at RiffTrax Live event. There were people sitting right next to me on both my right and left with no spaces in between. Never seen that happen at one of these before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
It was fairly dead in the DC theater that I went to. I missed the live showing of The Room and saw the showing the week after (first time seeing a replay); it was about on par with the replay showing of The Room. I expect that things will be significantly larger for Miami Connection, because Miami Connection is the greatest thing ever.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, that showing just wasn't very... good. It's probably the worst riff I've seen in the theater yet, and it's pretty much entirely due to the movie. :smith: It's kind of a shame since the Sharknado 1 riff was actually pretty fun, but that film was at least bad in an entertaining and corny way, while this one was just painfully self-reverential and gratuitous.

Theater was a bit less filled than usual but not that appreciably; the rifftrax shows tend to be low-sellers around here it seems.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
It's odd, the Sharknado 1 riff was a full house in the theater I was in last year. Granted, I went to a smaller theater this time (ones with those recliner seats, nice). There were a few empty seats, but a decent showing.

This was a weaker riff, mostly because it is much more self aware. I'm kind of annoyed that Vivica A. Fox died in this. As a character I liked her more than Tara Reid. I'm hoping they do not do Sharknado 3.

As far as worst riff, it's either this or Godzilla. I mean Godzilla had funny jokes, but the movie is really boring and far too long. I never did see the House on Haunted Hill or the Birdemic one.

Still, Miami Connection better deliver.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

PassTheRemote posted:

I never did see the House on Haunted Hill or the Birdemic one.

I saw the House on Haunted Hill live, but never bought the VOD. From what I recall, it was pretty good; a watchable movie with a good riff. Birdemic is like the Room's riff. It's not necessary at all, as Birdemic is just so drat goofy on its own, but it adds a lot on top of it. It's worth checking that out.

I'm hoping for a similar kind of riff for Miami Connection. That movie is on another level of weird, that it should hopefully make for a good riff.

EDIT:
VVVVV

Usually if I mention a Rifftrax live show to my coworkers, if it's not a Hollywood movie, they tend not to know about it. Manos for example is not exactly a well known title. But Sharknado? They all have heard of it, and nearly all of them have watched it. They just see it as a dumb bad movie though, not an intentionally bad movie. :shrug:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jul 10, 2015

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The problem with Sharknado X (where X > 1) is that they're deliberately made to be dumb and bad. They're not fun-bad, they're just bad-bad. The first one was fun-bad, but this one is just basically them telling the same 90-minute joke again.

They'll probably make another dozen because people keep watching it stoned/"ironically"/because there's nothing else on.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

The first Sharknado was deliberately dumb and bad too though.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
My theater actually lost the feed to the Rifftrax. :smith: I got free passes to the reshowing, but I'm bummed I missed it live.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
Probably the most full I've seen a Riff here in Orlando. Enjoyed it as always but I certainly wouldn't say it's their best.

Hoping that they come to Orlando to do it live for Sharknado 3, as a good deal was filmed here at Universal.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Do they have anything that shows ticket sales?

I swear their Christmas and Halloween stuff is always packed like sardines while the summer crap is sparse (except Godzilla which was standing room only).

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I watched Stone Cold last night, and it's a pretty crazy/epic movie.

Before I watched Stone Cold, I decided to re-watch the 30 for 30 episode on The Boz, and I'm glad I did. The Rifftrax reference to Bo Jackson was probably my highlight, and it probably would have been missed on me if I hadn't remembered that dumb game between the Seahawks and the Raiders. Clean up on aisle 4 references were also great.

Great stuff, would definitely watch again.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I enjoy the fact that the Boz completely fails to save anyone in the film and is basically a big old failure at everything.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I enjoy the fact that the Boz completely fails to save anyone in the film and is basically a big old failure at everything.

I know, seriously!! How was that plan heralded as a success when almost everyone of importance died. Also... all of the property damage!! BUT... Great job Boz, as long as we killed those couple of dudes, nothing else matters! Now hand in your gun and everything will be okay!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I just wanted to say that the Bridget and Mary Jo shorts were both hilarious, and I hope they keep popping up.

Favorite Stone Cold moment was definitely the establishing shot of the compound with the skanky chicks showering next to the kids running around. "Is this a hideout or a biker themed amusement park?"

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Sheldrake posted:

Favorite Stone Cold moment was definitely the establishing shot of the compound with the skanky chicks showering next to the kids running around. "Is this a hideout or a biker themed amusement park?"

That and the line about the movie's creators wanting to remind everyone boobs exist were two great lines.

Goddamn, that movie was a clusterfuck.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Canned Panda posted:

That and the line about the movie's creators wanting to remind everyone boobs exist* were two great lines.

Goddamn, that movie was a clusterfuck.

*This important message brought to you by the Boob Council.**

**The Boob Council is not affiliated with the Breast Council.

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
New release is Julie and Jack, James Nguyen’s first movie before he made Birdemic :aaaaa:

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ixnay posted:

New release is Julie and Jack, James Nguyen’s first movie before he made Birdemic :aaaaa:

I remember seeing this unriffed on EZ-Takes when that was still a thing, and I could not make heads or tails of it.

Oh man I'm so pumped :)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I figured it out. That film was James Nguyen's attempt at a Vertigo homage.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

I figured it out. That film was James Nguyen's attempt at a Vertigo homage.

I think his unreleased film Replica is supposed to be his Vertigo homage.

Also, now they have to do Birdemic 2 based on the fact that James Nguyen actually ripped off dialogue from Julie and Jack for his movie-within-the-movie.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I think his unreleased film Replica is supposed to be his Vertigo homage.

He has an unreleased film? My God that is some director's cut of Greed stuff.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He has an unreleased film? My God that is some director's cut of Greed stuff.

Yeah, just think about that. The guy who made Julie and Jack, and the Birdemic films has a movie that he has never released. I think it's actually that movie from The Ring.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, just think about that. The guy who made Julie and Jack, and the Birdemic films has a movie that he has never released. I think it's actually that movie from The Ring.

Fun fact about the "code" used in Julie and Jack, at 47:55

It's sample Ada code, with "Car" replaced with "Recognition" :laugh:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So how is Julie and Jack? I'm curious but since it seems a little different than most other VODs I'm hesitant.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Omnishambles posted:

So how is Julie and Jack? I'm curious but since it seems a little different than most other VODs I'm hesitant.

It's basically Birdemic but without, well, the Birdemic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't even read the description beyond the Birdemic connection so I had no idea what I was in for and then when the twist happens I was howling in laughter. I think somehow this was a better made and acted film (barely) but the plot may just be even more insane than Birdemic. The ending was hilarious for all the wrong reasons as well.

If you don't read a description and know what you're in for ahead of time I think this would be much more enjoyable. Because for the first half hour or so I was thinking it was an exact retread of Birdemic just with a few plot variances. But the ridiculousness of the twist was just beautiful.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 19, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Omnishambles posted:

I watched it last night and it's.... it's pretty wow. pretty, pretty wow. lol

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Really, movie? Really?

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

i saw the second twist, not the first oddly.

also dunno why Ngyuen thought it was good screenwriting to have mark talk about how horny watching a kindergarten teacher playing with kids made him

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Deadpool posted:

If you don't read a description and know what you're in for ahead of time I think this would be much more enjoyable. Because for the first half hour or so I was thinking it was an exact retread of Birdemic just with a few plot variances. But the ridiculousness of the twist was just beautiful.

Which one?

Also, my headcanon agrees that Jack is Nathalie's brother.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

PrinceRandom posted:

i saw the second twist, not the first oddly.

Based on this film and Birdemic, it would seem that Ngyuen believes in exactly two kinds of plot developments: the ones which you spend an hour painfully foreshadowing (and by 'painfully', I mean the viewer's reaction), and the ones that jump in with absolutely zero build up.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

gently caress it

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Aaand I just realized that in Birdemic right before Nathalie walked in....Rod was watching Julie and Jack.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Aaand I just realized that in Birdemic right before Nathalie walked in....Rod was watching Julie and Jack.

The pathetic part is that the only reason for it was so that Ngyuen could put Tippi Hedren into the credits for Birdemic.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
Watched Rock n Roll Nightmare finally. The last 10 minutes were ridiculous but the movie was so boring....

I thought Stone Cold was hilarious though. I'm amazed that Lance Henriksen has not aged in like 30 years (because he already looked like a drugged out 67 year old).

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

i dunno Aussie was pretty fun.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Spite posted:

Watched Rock n Roll Nightmare finally. The last 10 minutes were ridiculous but the movie was so boring....

I thought Stone Cold was hilarious though. I'm amazed that Lance Henriksen has not aged in like 30 years (because he already looked like a drugged out 67 year old).

Just got around to Rock n Roll Nightmare too. The last part makes it all worth it--but if the sound mixing were less poo poo, it would be a lot more watchable.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Paper Kaiju posted:

The pathetic part is that the only reason for it was so that Ngyuen could put Tippi Hedren into the credits for Birdemic.

Do you think it is mere coincidence that all of his lead actresses are blondes? Or in the case of Birdemic 2, that he made her bleach her hair?

edit: Also, remember that unreleased film I mention a while ago? GUESS WHO'S IN THAT TOO!!!

...As well as archival footage of Christopher Reeve which makes me uncomfortable for some reason.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 21, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
The woman who played Julie kept doing the most asinine facial expressions ever. It was really distracting. It reminded me so much of Kate Beahan's performance in The Wicker Man that I was kind of surprised to not hear a riff mentioning that locks are... strange... unlike mittens... which are not square, are you an onion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

2DCAT posted:

The woman who played Julie kept doing the most asinine facial expressions ever. It was really distracting.

I'm watching this right now and you aren't kidding. I just got to the part with the "twist" which is the most bafflingly stupid thing I've seen outside of a Shyamalan movie.

edit: The second twist was pretty predictable after that first one. Being a Nguyen joint, of course it had to take a boring, meandering path to get there.

raditts fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 22, 2015

• Locked thread