Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mootmoot posted:

I pay over £1000 and thats just third-party...

I certainly hope that's comprehensive and not just mandatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

KozmoNaut posted:

I certainly hope that's comprehensive and not just mandatory.

3rd party -> Mandatory minimum cover, pays out to the other party in case of a 2+ vehicle incident. He must've just passed his test, so no NCB discount.

KoeK
May 15, 2003
We dont die we multiply
Christ, I pay 140 euro a year for mandatory :o

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I'm paying just under £800/year for full coverage plus full european breakdown (which I will probably never use), reasonably low deductible (£250 or £500--can't remember off the top of my head). That's for a 34 year old male with a 2006 Aprilia Pegaso (insurance group 9) parked on the street in London, 2 years NCB, 3 years UK riding experience. I know I can save probably at least £100 if I shop around more, and I will next year. I'd save easily another £200 if I parked in a locked brick garage, but renting one would cost a hell of a lot more than that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

_Dav posted:

3rd party -> Mandatory minimum cover, pays out to the other party in case of a 2+ vehicle incident. He must've just passed his test, so no NCB discount.

Wow. I pay €265/year for mandatory as a completely new rider. He's getting ripped off.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I pay $180 a year for full coverage. Whatup land of freedom buddies! Free market powa!

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I pay $23 a month (would be cheaper if I paid in larger chunks) for comprehensive with low deductible, and I'm a 22 year old guy with a 2000 SV650.

Riding cheap, older non-sportbikes is awesome.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

mootmoot posted:

I pay over £1000 and thats just third-party...

Holy poo poo. Is that on a pulse jet bike covered in poisonous spikes?

I pay 210 GBP full comprehensive including roadside help in Europe.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I've been seeing infomercials for a GPS tag that stick on your dogs collar. It alerts you when the dog leaves your "home" area. Why couldn't you just buy one of those and stick it under your seat. There's a monthly fee, but I'm sure it's cheaper than anything made specifically for vehicles.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

thylacine posted:

I've been seeing infomercials for a GPS tag that stick on your dogs collar. It alerts you when the dog leaves your "home" area. Why couldn't you just buy one of those and stick it under your seat. There's a monthly fee, but I'm sure it's cheaper than anything made specifically for vehicles.

better would be the old invisible fence that you stick to your dogs collar. Stick it to the seat and when your bike leaves its home area, it administers an electric shock up the arse of whoever took your bike.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Linedance posted:

better would be the old invisible fence that you stick to your dogs collar. Stick it to the seat and when your bike leaves its home area, it administers an electric shock up the arse of whoever took your bike.

Actually I think an "invisible fence" dog collar has enough power to ignite a pentaerythritol tetranitrate detonator. Not really advocating this though - just playing around with the idea of DIY ejection seats.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ola posted:

The difference is that you don't flip over your bike going in a straight line ;)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
My first insurance on a Bandit 250 was over 1000 euro, its come down to 370 a year now for third party cover for my two bikes and i can ride anyone elses bike. Thats with 8 years no claims bonus
My car insurance is actually more than my bike insurance these days. Car is 540 a year third part fire and theft for a 1.3 litre

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I pay like $350 (NZD) a year for comprehensive motorcycle insurance. The car is something like $400 for 3rd party. Does not compute.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

I pay $180 a year for full coverage. Whatup land of freedom buddies! Free market powa!

The invisible handhelmet of the market.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Paying about £350 a year for a fully comprehensive riders policy up to 750cc, which isn't too bad. But I do live on a provincial island with a maximum 35mph speed limit...

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Bye bye, crazy finn.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

More of an insurance question, but is there any reason why I haven't been charged this month? Since I first took it out last April I've been charged on the 1st-3rd of every month like clockwork, but there's been nothing this month. I checked my policy to make sure and I am definitely covered till March.

Piggly Wiggly Woo
Mar 14, 2007

by angerbeet
edit: gently caress

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Ola posted:

Meh, it's within reason. I've got 6 points on my licence (for the Americans - busted speeding twice), it's my first bike and it's a supersports, and I made a £4000 claim on my car after I crashed into a wall. Not a lot of damage, but the component parts are expensive.

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

mootmoot posted:

Meh, it's within reason. I've got 6 points on my licence (for the Americans - busted speeding twice), it's my first bike and it's a supersports, and I made a £4000 claim on my car after I crashed into a wall. Not a lot of damage, but the component parts are expensive.

There isn't a facepalm large enough.

You should probably wear a helmet while walking.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

mootmoot posted:

I thought the motorcycle licensing scheme in the UK was more strict than even here in Australia, how are you even allowed to ride a 600 as your first bike?

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
As long as you're over 21 you can apply for a full license. But that's comprised of a theory test, a CBT (compulsory basic training, it only takes half a day and you can't really fail) and then a two part practical test.

Edit: I found this on another forum. It's a bit long but gives a good idea of what we go through.

quote:

Our training is a bit complex from a regulation point of view.

For new riders over age 21 on bikes over 125cc the instructor must be fully qualified, and in radio contact with one on one instruction. The new rider isn't allowed to ride unacompanied by an instructor.

For (usually) younger riders on 125cc bikes it can be a bit more relaxed with a 1:2 or 1:3 ratio often being used. This is because riders on 125s and smaller bikes can legally ride on the street without an instructor, subject to displaying 'L' plates.

For Compulsory Basic Training, the lead instructor must be fully qualified, but he's then free to use unqualified assistants under a degree of supervision. Again, the on-road part of CBT is usually a 1:2 or 1:3 instructor/student ratio. CBT is a six hour foundation course. It's very basic. New riders must have the course completion certificate as well as their provisional licence before they're allowed to ride on the street at all. Working with a qualified lead instructor is the route that a lot of commercial instructors use to become qualified themselves.

Advanced training for riders who've already passed all of the mandatory tests and have a full licence is more usually carried out by volunteer instructors from organisations like the IAM (Institute of Advanced Motorists). These volunteers are often unqualified in a legal sense, but are trained by the IAM, sometimes in conjunction with local police forces, to teach to a much higher standard than commercial instructors, who're only interested in getting students through the mandated tests. Volunteer instructors must tell their insurance companies that they're instructing on the street, but as far as I'm aware, they don't usually add extra premium for the extra cover.

Again, with no legal requirements on these advanced courses, they vary from one on one training with radio contact to a 1:3 instructor student ratio with no radios. IMO this actually works better than one on one training, as the students can see and comment on each other's errors, but remember that these are students who've already jumped through all the hoops to get a full UK licence.

For an instructor to become 'qualified' he needs to train as an instructor, either as an IAM volunteer or as an assistant to a commercial instructor, and then attend a government run assessment centre.

The licence tests include a 'module one' test of the ability to control a bike. This is on a lot and includes figure eights, u-turns, normal and emergency braking and a swerve test at speeds that must (for the swerve and emergency stop) exceed 30 mph, so obviously the training for this is done on a lot, but the bulk of the training is for module two and is actually done on real streets in real traffic. The 'module two' licence test is also carried out on real streets in real traffic, with the examiner in radio contact telling the candidate where to go and what manoeuvers to perform.

The module one training is often no more than about half a day, as this has been covered already by the CBT and the new rider has had chance to practice, so for most people it's just a refresher with tips on how to get through the test.

I'll admit to being a bit out of date on te standards required for the basic module two test, but it's about a 20 minute ride and the route includes intersections, roundabouts, traffic lights and, where available, short sections of faster dual carriageways. Errors are categorised as major or minor. A Major is a mistake that could lead to an accident and results is a test fail. Minors include things like being in the wrong gear, being a bit slow to cancel the indicators after a turn, forgetting a mirror check......

I think you're allowed up to three minors before you marked as a fail, but someone might correct me on that. Pass rates are less than 50% and it isn't uncommon for riders (or car drivers) to retake the test several times before finally passing it.

Before taking the module two test you have to have already passed the module one and the classroom based theory and hazzard perception tests, and of course, have completed the CBT before doing anything else.

For DAS - the test regime that allows new riders over age 21 to ride bikes of over 125cc, a bike of at least 46 bhp (usually a 500) must be used and training and testing includes riding at the national speed limit (60 mph) for non-motorway roads.

Younger riders must start on bikes of under 125cc, and after passing the full tests are restricted to bikes of no more than 33 bhp for a further two years. Some older riders prefer to do this as well rather than pay for the one to one training needed for DAS, and because they believe in a more graduated approach to developing their skills. Some older riders will go the DAS route, but may own a 125 for a year first so that they can ride street (unaccompanied but displaying 'L' plates) to gain experience before taking the DAS test.

Advanced courses run by bodies such as the IAM also include riding at national limit speeds - and as the instructors are enthusiasts and the students already competent it isn't unheard of for a bit of 'over the speed limit' riding to be included, as well as much slower stuff such as the right way to filter through congested traffic.

Like any other place, I guess, the advanced training varies a bit from area to area, but what preserves a measure of commonality is that they all use Motorcycle Roadcraft as the key manual (although the IAM also has its own manual), and they all teach around the 'System of Motorcycle Control' Most commercial training up to the level of passing the licensing tests is more at the level of 'mirror, signal (lifesaver) manoeuver', which is adequate for the tests.

I hope that this post wasn't too confusing. Anybody who wants to understand the content of our advanced courses can get a copy of Motorcycle Roadcraft through Amazon.com. It's put together using advice from the UK police forces with input from the IAM and ROSPA, and it's the 'bible' used for the training of police motorcyclists.

Forty Two fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 20, 2012

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Piggly Wiggly Woo posted:

edit: gently caress

mootmoot posted:

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

mootmoot posted:

£4000 claim on my car after I crashed into a wall.

:wtc:

Between this and your bike crash, your accidents are slowly going to get more absurd until your vehicle is literally just exploding for no reason.

edit: but it will be your fault somehow

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, so apparently storing loose gun powder in your trunk is a bad idea, along with throwing a wool sweater you tumble-dried for 3 hours on top of it. Who knew static electricity would set it off? Anyways my car is destroyed, along with half my apartment complex. Turns out storing diesel inside of fertilizer to save room is also a bad idea.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

It wouldn't have been so bad if you hadn't coincidentally decided to start seriously studying Muslim religion and politics, including a brief trip to Iran and back to meet with a professor over there.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I watched that video like 5 times and I STILL have no idea how you went wide on a highway exit like that...

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Slim Pickens posted:

Yeah, so apparently storing loose gun powder in your trunk is a bad idea, along with throwing a wool sweater you tumble-dried for 3 hours on top of it. Who knew static electricity would set it off? Anyways my car is destroyed, along with half my apartment complex. Turns out storing diesel inside of fertilizer to save room is also a bad idea.

Uh... More information? I'm assuming you didn't do this. What was the damage like?!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

You think you're unlucky, I got two lovely plutonium paperweights for Christmas, one solid sphere and one hollow hemisphere. They fit together perfectly but apparantly the manual says doing so causes something critical to happen. Who reads the manual to paperweight? Long story short my city is pretty flattened and the insurance people are just giving me bullshit.

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

Ola posted:

You think you're unlucky, I got two lovely plutonium paperweights for Christmas, one solid sphere and one hollow hemisphere. They fit together perfectly but apparantly the manual says doing so causes something critical to happen. Who reads the manual to paperweight? Long story short my city is pretty flattened and the insurance people are just giving me bullshit.

Man, don't even get me started on my first day at my new job as janitor at CERN. If they didn't want that thing unplugged, why the hell didn't they give me a longer extension cord for the vacuum cleaner?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SlightlyMadman posted:

It wouldn't have been so bad if you hadn't coincidentally decided to start seriously studying Muslim religion and politics, including a brief trip to Iran and back to meet with a professor over there.

I started studying Islam because IMO it seems the coolest. The 'Holy Koran' on the cover is awesome - kind of like a font like how 'Aladdin' was written, some retro Arab kingdom combined with modern cutting edge religious power. The whole theology is great. Plus it's popular so perfect. I heard that it was the best in it's range. Less bothered about that but it's still cool.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ziploc posted:

Uh... More information? I'm assuming you didn't do this. What was the damage like?!

Humor and sarcasm are fondly remembered in CA....nowadays things are lookin' grim. No laughs as far as the eye can see. Thinkin' bout heading down Cali-forn-i-way lookin' for some funny.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
Do I smell Backpanther 2.0?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So a week after someone tried to steal my bike (bent handlebar, broken wing mirror) some other oval office has had a go (different location). Thankfully the damage isn't as bad this time, just a broken wing mirror and severely bent indicator stalk.

I am quickly losing all enthusiasm for biking and it's just making me want to get a car. I'm certainly not buying a nice bike any time soon.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 21, 2012

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008

Frankston posted:

So a week after someone tried to steal my bike (bent handlebar, broken wing mirror) some other oval office has had a go (different location). Thankfully the damage isn't as bad this time, just a broken wing mirror and severely bent indicator stalk.

I am quickly losing all enthusiasm for biking and it's just making me want to get a car. I'm certainly not buying a nice bike any time soon.

Same place as last time? Have you put any security on it yet? What bike is it?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Frankston posted:

I'd say get good comp insurance asap if you don't have it but it looks like you aren't amurrican and I don't know the foreign equivalent.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Frankston posted:

Where do you live? Anything outside of zone two on the tube map is basically a different continent to me.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Frankston posted:

Can you post a picture of your bike?

Bend handlebars, broken mirrors and indicators aren't typically related to theft attempts.

Do you have spikes on your bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

teknicolor posted:

Do I smell Backpanther 2.0?

AND jackthesmack all in one. :allears: