Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wonder what Reimu's going to do when she realises she's basically a big reason Kosuzu's become more interested in Youkai anyway.

Also, i'm unsurprised it turns out Mamizou purposefully let her identity slip to Akyuu. She was being a bit too obvious.

What may be obvious to us (read: "Yeah, that disguise is paper thin") may not be obvious to someone who's never seen her normal form. Aya's is a bit better, but the ears are a giveaway.

Related: Newsboy Aya is entirely my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow, Mamizou is not subtle. Basically doing Yukari's work of convincing Kosuzu she needs to be saved for her, albeit saved from someone other than Reimu perhaps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

I'm not sure how big an influence Reimu had. I mean, Forbidden Scrollery starts with Kosuzu already being an avid collector of Youma books and that's why Reimu put her under surveillance, not the other way around.

I mean, Reimu certainly didn't help. In one of the first chapters the Kappa show up in, Reimu actually defends them to Kosuzu I think just because she doesn't want to lie to her. She invites her to things at the shrine which involve youkai just hanging around. A couple of times Reimu doesn't even destroy the youma books that are causing trouble. She re-seals them and everything but she lets Kosuzu keep them because she's really lenient with her. And then there's that chapter where Kosuzu thinks about how she wants to be more like Reimu and Marisa, and experience the stuff they do.

I'd honestly say Reimu is almost as much at fault as say, Mamizou. Kosuzu does look up to her a bit but due to the way Reimu acts and everything that seems to have kinda made her more interested in youkai rather than the opposite.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It'd be kinda interesting to see how Reimu justifies her position: She's an (unwilling) patsy for a Youkai, lets rival shrines set up shop on her own shrine, throws Youkai festivals, occasionally gets up and smacks someone on the head.

She's supposed to be a Youkai exterminator?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

My understanding is that she just beats up and yells at the bigger players and outsider youkai when they cause trouble. People like Aya or Mami aren't in serious danger of getting exterminated because they are too important to their respective communities, and minor kappa/fairies/whatever are fine if they're staying out of the human village.

Only things like rogue tsukumogami or fortune tellers are at risk of brutal and terminal extermination.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reimu is honestly one of the more pro-youkai humans in the series. She still exterminates the hell out of a couple occasionally, but for the most part she's pretty lenient.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Reimu (or, really, the Hakurei) are the reason Gensokyo is a thing, of course she isn't gonna be hella crusader. Gensokyo is a nature perserve for yokai.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked
Kosuzu was super excited at the thought of being exterminated by Reimu in the first chapter.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Kosuzu is gonna turn into a youkai in the next 8 or so chapters so when Touhou 16 comes out on Comiket 93 she gets to be the stage 1 boss in the game

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Anything interesting happen in the last 3600 posts? I've been puttering around with the Touhou music thing again and have another 260ish tracks in collections 25-26 ready to go. Also hopped back on to seed the prior collections as linked on the first page of the thread.

https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=911716

Enjoy!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/mkybm/status/846161621760196608

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Captain Invictus posted:

Anything interesting happen in the last 3600 posts? I've been puttering around with the Touhou music thing again and have another 260ish tracks in collections 25-26 ready to go. Also hopped back on to seed the prior collections as linked on the first page of the thread.

Enjoy!

All of the current excitement vis-a-vis Touhou is print work stuff (Forbidden Scrollery and Wild and Horned Hermit are both in a very good place at the moment and there's a new book coming out in like 4 days,) We've got a game coming out, but that's not happening at least until C92.

Edit: I guess you missed two new Music CDs. They've got some dece tunes on 'em.

mdct fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 27, 2017

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Captain Invictus posted:

Enjoy!

You may be able to help me then, so I'll go ahead and repost the song I've been looking for. It may have even been you that posted it however long ago it was.

Manyorcas posted:

If anyone is up for another music hunt, I've got one I've had stuck in my head for years but couldn't track down on Youtube.

It was a Necrophantasia remix that I think someone aptly described as "Hickabilly Rock" or something similar, it was linked in the touhou thread I want to say... 2012 or so? Long rear end time ago. Pretty sure it had lyrics in Japanese, and I'm vaguely recalling the youtube video had an image of Yukari sitting down with a straw hat strumming a guitar. It was a pretty drat good Japanese imitation of a specific kind of American Country music.

Small change: "Straw hat" may have been "piece of wheat held from her mouth" in the image, if that helps at all. I just have this very distinct memory of a song that may have been removed from youtube a long, long time ago.

Edit: These torrents have been a tremendous contribution to the Touhou community, you deserve yet more props for it.

Manyorcas fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 27, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't recognize the track you're talking about.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tried looking but didn't find anything vOv

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

It'd be kinda interesting to see how Reimu justifies her position: She's an (unwilling) patsy for a Youkai, lets rival shrines set up shop on her own shrine, throws Youkai festivals, occasionally gets up and smacks someone on the head.

She's supposed to be a Youkai exterminator?

My ~hot take~ is that she's more there to maintain balance than to kill all of the youkai

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Troublesome youkai hunting

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On a tangent from that, I'm still catching up with the newer material, but what exactly is the Hakurei relationship with the Barrier? I remember it being said somewhere that Yukari made it, but stuff like the thread make it sound like Reimu/her family/the "god" at the shrine are more important to it now or are the ones actually protecting it or something. Is that the arrangement, basically?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I think the only place it's touched on is Yukari's bit in PMiSS, and I get the impression that it's not translated super well? Or at least it's worded confusingly.

The gist seems to be that 500 years ago, Yukari created the boundary of common sense that allows Youkai to thrive in Gensokyo. Then, sometime in the 1880s, the Hakurei Shrine Maiden of the time, the Youkai Sages (including Yukari and Kasen), and the Dragon God got together and hashed out the Great Hakurei Barrier, which keeps Outside World stuff out (mostly) and prevents anything in Gensokyo from leaving (mostly).

Presumably Yukari and the Hakurei Shrine Maiden are both supposed to maintain it in their own way, since there's multiple parts to it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
My impression is that the shrine maiden doesn't actually need to do anything in particular, but the barrier itself is anchored by the Hakurei Shrine, ie: the building. So damaging the building could cause it to fail, which is why Yukari got so pissed at Tenshi in SWR.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
There's a bit in the 3 Fairies manga where a hole gets ripped in the barrier when a tree near the shrine gets zapped by lightning, so that's entirely plausible.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Captain Invictus posted:

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't recognize the track you're talking about.

El Burbo posted:

Tried looking but didn't find anything vOv

Thanks to both of you, the song probably only exists in Gensokyo now.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
There's this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA3PdgX_E8Y

But I'm guessing the song they're looking for just shares visuals and nothing else.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Scandalous.

(Alternative Facts is out now)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Dumb lore stuff always gets me excited. I hope it gets translated soon.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Wow smug

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I want all the juiciest gossip & info going on in Eastern Utopia. Gimme the fake news

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I want all the juiciest gossip & info going on in Eastern Utopia. Gimme the fake news

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Clarste posted:

Scandalous.

I'm surprised Zun remembered Hatate exists.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Reimu is lazy...!? How scandalous.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

The Rokurokubi Horror is a rokurokubi

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Clarste posted:

Scandalous.

I can't read this but the girl in the middle is righteous

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Namtab posted:

I can't read this but the girl in the middle is righteous

The best tengu.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Miko literally giving a speech about how you should elect her President of the human village because she'll stop the illegal youkai immigrants from stealing your jobs. She'll build a wall, and the youkai will pay for it!

The entire article was plagiarized from an outside world source and the magazine apologizes for it later.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The Aya I know would never apologise for plagiarised sources and incorrect information. :colbert:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Who is this mysterious person, and how is she talking to Eirin of all people so casually? This magazine has long held the view that Eientei is a dangerous organization, but when we brought this up to the Hakurei shrine maiden she dismissed it offhand. Is she just lazy, or is it a conspiracy?!

Seiran and Ringo competing over dango sales.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 30, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Where's clownpiece

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Clownpiece is one of the illegal immigrants from the Miko piece.

Shinmyoumaru, a rising star of the world of competitive river-rafting, made the switch from Singles to Doubles, where her physique switched from a handicap to an advantage. With her partner Wakasagihime, she took home the championship. It's unclear if Wakasagihime should've been allowed to compete at all, but there's no rule against it.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 30, 2017

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Watch the Manzairaku show/become a maid at the Scarlet Devil Mansion (advertisements)

Reporter accidentally confirms urban legend by taking a picture of these three: Yoshika Miyako, center, was later confirmed dead. Be careful when taking pictures!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Thank you for this.