Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I highly doubt Emrakul will be in SoI itself. If anything we might get a reveal hinting at her behind the scenes in the following small set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

A big flaming stink posted:

Surprise, it's actually the Marit Lage, the original Lovecraft reference in magic

I'd be all over Marit Lage's return. She's great.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BJPaskoff posted:

It's such an obvious Lovecraftian reference that I'll be upset if it's not Emrakul. The Shadows Over Innistrad = Shadow Over Innsmouth similarity and the fact that Emrakul is the Cthulthu of Magic in appearance and actions make it so obvious. I'd be thrilled if they had Innistrad be freaking out in the first set while the planeswalkers try to figure out what's going on, followed by Emrakul's invasion in the next set. More Eldrazi, Wizards gets to push colorless mana more, more Wastes (this time Innistrad flavored!), etc.

Really though, Shadow over Innsmouth was much more about fishpeople and miscegnation being icky than it was about any truly reality-warping or reality-bending horrors. There are a number of callouts to cosmic themes or the wider mythos, but yeah, mostly it's about a town of fishfuckers.

So if they're actually staying close to the reference, SoI would be chiefly about merfolk emerging on Innistrad. :v:

also,

Count Bleck posted:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

That would be awesome as well.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

JerryLee posted:

So if they're actually staying close to the reference, SoI would be chiefly about merfolk emerging on Innistrad. :v:

I would in fact like more options for playable Merfolk in modern, so please, do this.

Maybe reprint Lord of Atlantis sometime, WotC. I'm not saying now, but maybe MM16?

With the 7th Edition art, maybe.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

It's such an obvious Lovecraftian reference that I'll be upset if it's not Emrakul. The Shadows Over Innistrad = Shadow Over Innsmouth similarity and the fact that Emrakul is the Cthulthu of Magic in appearance and actions make it so obvious. I'd be thrilled if they had Innistrad be freaking out in the first set while the planeswalkers try to figure out what's going on, followed by Emrakul's invasion in the next set. More Eldrazi, Wizards gets to push colorless mana more, more Wastes (this time Innistrad flavored!), etc.

emkraul is unlike the other eldrazi in that she doesn't corrupt ground and stuff like Kozi or Ula, she only affects living beings. so no wastes but wow that description is just asking to make a bunch of people into frog men

yeah i think SOI is gonna have emkraul in it everything is kinda pointing to that being a thing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Surprise, it's actually the Marit Lage, the original Lovecraft reference in magic

is marit lage a sentient tree

i can't believe exdeath is a character in MTG

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

mandatory lesbian posted:

emkraul is unlike the other eldrazi in that she doesn't corrupt ground and stuff like Kozi or Ula, she only affects living beings. so no wastes but wow that description is just asking to make a bunch of people into frog men

yeah i think SOI is gonna have emkraul in it everything is kinda pointing to that being a thing

This would be a pretty good intersection of the two themes, yeah

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I would in fact like more options for playable Merfolk in modern, so please, do this.

Maybe reprint Lord of Atlantis sometime, WotC. I'm not saying now, but maybe MM16?

With the 7th Edition art, maybe.

I mean, he's only a ten dollar card, but yeah he could stand a reprint. I however would love this 100%, I want more merfolk options. Especially another good one drop, we are glutted, and pretty good on the 2 drops, but how about a nice 1 drop like a cursecatcher for creatures or something. Cursecatcher would also be a flavorful reprint in SOI block.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

No I think the wrath of marit lage is withering that tree

This is the art of marit lage:

I assume Marit Lage is the person on the left

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

here's the other marit lage card

I have no idea what's going on with the art in Ice Age

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zoness posted:

No I think the wrath of marit lage is withering that tree

This is the art of marit lage:

I assume Marit Lage is the person on the left

See also: Dark Depths's Art

:tinfoil:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

lol this owns, the ocean went down a giant drain in the floor, its a loving looney tunes sketch

Count Bleck posted:

See also: Dark Depths's Art

:tinfoil:

guy picked the wrong neighborhood to walk thru

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

This kind of thing is why now all the art has to be a literal depiction of the card name.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

JerryLee posted:

I am okay with this.

I would be really happy with this.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Neither did the Ice Age artists, besides a vague notion snow should be in some images.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

This kind of thing is why now all the art has to be a literal depiction of the card name.

the card's art is a tree on a yellow background, its bad

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

:agreed: This is why we can't have old terror or that other black card that had the pair of creepy eyes, or why we'll never have the artistic construct of the metaphysical notion of nothingness for counterspell. But, sometimes they manage to sneak one through like the new thoughtseize (way better than the old) or the card with the guy walking around his own head.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i love the more metaphorical art (yeah im the fag who like stasis bite me) but i do ask for something better then that, you know

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I miss diterlizzi every day of my life

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Cyclopean Tomb had the best weird, non-literal art.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

i love the more metaphorical art (yeah im the fag who like stasis bite me) but i do ask for something better then that, you know

Stasis is still cool and good. What I really want to see now is superflat. :getin:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Neither did the Ice Age artists, besides a vague notion snow should be in some images.

Ice Age art ruled.

OK maybe not all Ice Age art.

There was some weird stuff going on.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
SOI will have hyper rare "Helvault Silver" cards that aren't playable in Standard, LOTV will be one of them

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm never not going to read SOI as soy. It just makes me think of Avacyn sitting at a table with a perfectly white background eating a vegan meal, just like those magazine food ads.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

SOI will have hyper rare "Helvault Silver" cards that aren't playable in Standard, LOTV will be one of them

pls no i can see them doing this

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/690223237851127808

I dont use Puca so I'm not sure, but is he saying that if someone sends you a card on your want list, you just have to pay whatever it costs even if it jumped 300% in two days? Or the sender just gets more points for sending a "valuable" card?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

If you don't have at least a n/m 5th edition station just to have it, you don't love magic.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

I dont use Puca so I'm not sure, but is he saying that if someone sends you a card on your want list, you just have to pay whatever it costs even if it jumped 300% in two days? Or the sender just gets more points for sending a "valuable" card?

They are hoping people don't adjust their buylist for old cards after they spike. You are stuck with whatever the price was when someone sent you the cards. If you leave a spiked card on your want and you have the points, you are hosed without lube.

If you haven't been hosed like this before and the sender didn't use tracking, you can claim they never showed up and you don't lose the points and the sender gets his points. If you do this too much you can get banned though.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Terrible Horse posted:

That's pretty much exactly how it works. If I have a card on my want list worth 500 points, and it spikes to 2500 points, someone can send it to me at the higher price and there's not much I can do about it! To get caught like this you'd have to (a) have a lot of points, (b) be really unlucky about your want list, and (c) not be paying attention to the market or your account. I can't imagine there are a large enough number of users who fit all three of those, though.

Edit: It looks like one of their premium features is to set a "I refuse to pay more than X points for this card" limit, which is suddenly a lot more relevant.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Sickening posted:

They are hoping people don't adjust their buylist for old cards after they spike. You are stuck with whatever the price was when someone sent you the cards. If you leave a spiked card on your want and you have the points, you are hosed without lube.

If you haven't been hosed like this before and the sender didn't use tracking, you can claim they never showed up and you don't lose the points and the sender gets his points. If you do this too much you can get banned though.

That seems like a flawed system. Shouldn't there be some confirmation in place first saying you want to accept the transaction before everything starts getting mailed around?

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
There's no "confirm purchase" notification? That's complete insanity.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

pls no i can see them doing this

lol if you don't see an accountant at hasbro laughing maniacally while having bfz_revenue.xlsx open on the computer

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ramos posted:

That seems like a flawed system. Shouldn't there be some confirmation in place first saying you want to accept the transaction before everything starts getting mailed around?

There is a lot flawed about puca trade. It however is really useful around set releases and there is ton of value to get in a 2 week period. Using it beyond that is definitely not a great experience anymore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sickening posted:

There is a lot flawed about puca trade. It however is really useful around set releases and there is ton of value to get in a 2 week period. Using it beyond that is definitely not a great experience anymore.

Terrible Horse posted:

There's no "confirm purchase" notification? That's complete insanity.

You add things to your want list and people can send things to your want list at any time as long as its there. Prices will change and currently there is no way to protect your want list unless you watch it.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I feel like the best way to use PucaTrade is to keep as low of a point balance as possible, that way you can both avoid receiving cards during spikes and you're protected in case the point economy does collapse like some financiers claim will happen.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

That's what it sounds like.

I have 5k points.
I have 4 copies of a card worth 80 (80 cents)points on my want list.
Bill buys all the copies on TCGPlayer and Star City up to 10 dollars.
Bill waits a few days.
Puca adjusts card up to 1000 points.
Bill sends 80 point cards to 100 users, including 4 copies to me.
Bill gets 100k points.
Card, over time, drops back to 200 points.
I have 1k points.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Wurzag posted:

I really hope it isn't Emrakul for the sole reason I'll be really burned out on eldrazi by the time SOI comes out and two entire blocks about the same thing in a row seems really dull.

An employee at my LGS and I were talking to some people about Emrakul's likely relation to Shadows Over Innistrad, and one of them said, "Wow, they're really running out of ideas, huh?". I didn't know what that was supposed to mean. A continuing story across blocks sounds like the opposite of "running out of ideas".

Oraculum Animi posted:

I don't think they'll push colorless mana in Innistrad, I think that was a Kozilek-specific thing.

Yeah, you're all probably right about Wastes and colorless mana. I don't think they'd have Shadows Over Innistrad not care about colorless mana and then Innistrad Small Set have a bunch of colorless-mana-matters cards and Wastes. Yes, Battle for Zendikar to Oath of the Gatewatch was kind of like that, with colorless-mana-matters only in the small set, but BFZ also had some things to ease into it such as most of the Eldrazi only costing a single colored mana to make them easier to cast when you're splashing the third color (for game purposes) of colorless mana.

whydirt posted:

I highly doubt Emrakul will be in SoI itself. If anything we might get a reveal hinting at her behind the scenes in the following small set.

We don't know how the Eldrazi operate, do we? They came to Zendikar, hosed up everything, and were trapped away by Sorin, Nahiri, and Ugin, but who knows what their MO for invading a plane is, because that much wasn't talked about (I don't really read the lore). Maybe they poke around and corrupt the inhabitants a bit to prepare for their arrival.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I feel like the best way to use PucaTrade is to keep as low of a point balance as possible, that way you can both avoid receiving cards during spikes and you're protected in case the point economy does collapse like some financiers claim will happen.

Inflation is already pretty large. Puca points are at 60 cents on the dollar and it currently has no chance at getting cheaper. Unless they figure out a way to dump points for something else that isn't cards the entire system is close to failing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I nearly got bit by that but the sender was understanding. I put wall of omens on my list a few weeks ago at $3. Guy went to send me one for $9 over this weekend. Weirdly the original print was still $3 but not the precon reprints which has skyrocketed. Actually was over TCG high by 1.50. I emailed support about the weird price but got no reply.

• Locked thread