Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What about simply discussing the n-dimensional void, the skewed emptiness, the unparallel vectors of uncertainty, in an unmentioned yet malicious subtext of panel gaps?

[USER SHOULD HAVE BEEN BANNED FOR THIS POST]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I kinda live for the derails in this thread anyway, where else am I supposed to get drunk and post 2000 word essays on our Lord and savior, the U-235 isotope?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Lately the thread has been mostly good. One of the issues around EV's is the waves of misinformation and propaganda fuelled by interests with money at stake - there's a big industry that gets a metric shitton of govt money that stands to lose big time if EV's take off and they absoluty do use Big Tobacco tactics and have social media sock puppets. There's also people betting big on EV's too so same goes there too. This is one of the few times the "truth is somewhere in the middle" actually is right and this thread has had some decent bullshit debunking.

Tell TSLAQ to gently caress off to CSPAM, Bazingas to Reddit, ban Musk chat and you're good.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Thread discussion: do not gas the thread, if need be electrocute it, this is a NO ICE ZONE

CannonFodder posted:

Niro EV owner here. I'll take a picture of my cargo area with my usual work week loadout. First how my dad and I usually set it up with a seat down to show you the amount of crap we haul, then again with the seat up.

As someone who knows nothing about surfing, what kind of surfing do you do?
These pictures are lovely but it shows how the cargo space is really big.

Stuff just scattered around:

Stuff stacked up, not interfering with rear view:

Two duffel bags, two dirty clothes bags, my CPAP and dop kit, a catch-all hamper, and a cooler with drink mugs.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

RZA Encryption posted:

True, but one's gonna have to happen before the other, imo. Nobody's going to build out charging density analogous to gas stations unless there are a poo poo ton of EVs, and there isn't going to be enough EVs to justify it if people can't get over their unjustified range anxiety. Nevermind the fact that going to a fast charger is a once a month (maybe) activity rather than the once a week activity that going to gas stations is. (provided home charging is available).

Part of the problem there is that for a pretty big percentage of the US population (mainly, most people who don't own single-family houses, such as myself), home charging still isn't available.

Though I was just playing around with the PlugShare website, and they've added the ability to filter out chargers below a certain power level - something that had been lacking for an inexcusable length of time, and is rather important for planning long trips (it's kind of a pain in the butt to sift through dozens of piddling 10-25kW chargers to find something that will get you back on the road in a reasonable time). I travel far enough often enough that HVDC charging would be a moderately important factor, so this would make non-Tesla EVs significantly more viable for me.

On the other hand, Tesla's self-driving research is certainly tempting - they'll likely miss a few more deadlines before getting it fully ready (though to be fair, the nature of this sort of R&D means that even Waymo can't give a definitive time frame for when they'll be ready for prime time), but it'll be at least 5 years before I would need to seriously think about replacing my current car.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

angryrobots posted:

Probate whoever is hitting the report button.

angryrobots posted:

Probate whoever is hitting the report button.
How about not only no, but gently caress no. Reports are a cool and good thing that lets me know that there's something going on in a thread I don't read regularly. They also let me get a heads up on something that may be bothering other posters if they're not comfortable posting it in the thread or PMing me for whatever reason. These are important things that make this easier on me.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It's "y'all" not "ya'll"
Counterpoint: You're English and therefore have no say in how I make a contraction of you and all. :colbert:

MomJeans420 posted:

It doesn't seem to result in a lot of probations though. While across the internet there is a tendency of some Tesla fans to be a bit cultish (like getting Rich Rebuilds video removed from youtube), it seems like the Tesla fans here take everything in good stride and acknowledge their new car may have issues (a number of the posts have been from people who recently purchased a Tesla). I think QC issues come up a lot because you have a company with a flamboyant leader (he just told the SEC to suck his cock on Twitter) and a market cap that values them as being worth more than multiple other major manufacturers combined, then you add in grandiose statements by Musk like "1 million robotaxis on the road by the end of 2020" and of course people want to bring things back a little closer to reality. If this was a struggling mom and pop shop I don't think people would be nearly as interested in the various issues. People have been very open with Bolt/Volt issues etc while still thinking they're great cars.

It's almost impossible to separate Tesla from Musk but we don't have a lot of posts about the upcoming Solar City lawsuit etc in here, it does seem to mostly focus on the cars.
And yes, this is part the problem. As much as I'd like to make a strict "No musk chat" rule, unless he suddenly removes himself as CEO and very public figurehead of Tesla, you can't 100% separate them. I've hit musk chat that has 0 to do with Tesla as a company as its been brought to my attention, but again, this isn't a thread I constantly read. Mostly because its a god drat chore reading through page after page of the same loving slap fight over whatever Tesla failing wants to be defended or highlighted by whatever poster.

Yuns posted:

I've been reading and posting on SA for literally 20 years and can't fathom why this thread would be getting reported. What discussion is being suppressed by the regular posters? As someone who is new to EVs, I'd been discussing my EV ordering and delivery experience with some bemusement. I obviously don't hate Tesla because I bought one but I'm not a Tesla evangelist and am constantly amazed at how oddly they run things. I hadn't realized that this chat was too low S/N for this thread or is not what was intended by AI EV chat.
This is about as spicy as AI gets. We're mostly a bunch of boring 30's-40's car guys who are now mostly car dads. Its not really a bad thing. Fwiw, your recent posts have been a good addition because if nothing else, its been a change in topic for the thread and shown the experience of someone going through the ordering process which is cool and good.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

FilthyImp posted:

I can see that. I'm guilty of it too because a few pages back Bum the Sad wouldn't shut the gently caress up about their delivery delays.

yeah I was super stoked about my order in a dead thread. And the only one posting in this thread you shitlord.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Just for the record I really appreciate goons posting their experiences, whether positive or negative, with ordering / delivery / etc. it provides good insight of what to expect for anyone else who might want to order one of those electrique automovehicles down the road. Same with other brands' EVs honestly, some of their vehicles are really drat hard to find in certain areas of the US, let alone California.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I know there are a million Model 3 reviews out there but wanted to share a few first impressions on the first day. The car is quick (LR AWD without the boost yet) and it actually feels even faster than it actually is because the throttle does not have the short lag of a gas throttle so it feels more abrupt. The steering is precise enough but feels disconnected/numb. I can't read the tires as well as I can on my old E46 M3 or Evo X. What's really funny is that the Tesla EVs now fit into the same performance category as some of the stereotypical muscle cars: fast in a straight line but not as good around a corner as some other cars. Panel gaps are all acceptable but the trunk on the right side is slightly raised relative to the panel it meets and the gap seems a bit large. I like being able to use my phone as a key and controlling functions from my phone.

Some random notes:
Some controls are made easier by the interface whereas some are made tougher.
* My wife was seriously annoyed by the fact that she needs to go into the screen to open the glovebox.
* I was annoyed that there isn't an off button for the audio. Mute/pause serves the same function but a big off button seems more intuitive to me.

I'm not a huge fan of the Michelin MXM Primacy tires that are OEM stock. Wish that they had come with summer tires because I'm going to have to get winter tires (X-ice/Blizzaks) anyway for all our ski trips.

The trunk is kind of odd. Initially I was closing the trunk with the top of the lid which is awkward because of the angle of the open lid because I forgot that there is a grab handle to pull it shut. The struts are strong and it takes some strength to pull it down.

I usually dislike glass roofs/moonroofs but my kids were enamored of the glass roof when sitting in the back seats. Also, the back seats were roomier than I expected so I pleased about that. I examined the top glass and am kind of concerned that the assembly looks like a future failure point.

As far as entertainment, the kids also liked playing Stardew Valley whereas I find the games and Toybox not interesting.

With respect to the wheels, I stuck with the aero wheel even though I hated how they looked because they are objectively better (not only cheaper but lighter and more range efficient.) But when I saw the dark aero wheels on the midnight silver, it looked much better in person than in photos so I was pleasantly surprised by that.

EDIT:
Here how contactless delivery worked for us.
1. Signed financing paperwork electronically
2. Brought check for payment, licenses, title for old car, insurance paperwork for Tesla, forgot screwdriver for old plates
3. Drove to Tesla location in trade in vehicle
4. Sign in front said call when you arrive
5. Tesla rep came outside with PPE and told us our Tesla was waiting outside near the side of the building with our paperwork and to go to check it out
6. We inspected the Tesla
7. There was an electronic signing issue for my spouse so they had to print out additional paperwork and have her sign it physically
8. Our rep removed our plates for us and inspected our trade in while my wife and I signed the paperwork in the Tesla (Tesla has keycards inside and was running climate)
9. I handed him the paperwork, old title and keys and he gave me my old plates to return to the DMV
10. He went inside to review our paperwork and asked us to wait in our new car
11. He called my cell to confirm that we could drive off and emailed us PDFs of all the docs

Note my cell phone didn't work as a key until I logged off and logged back into the Tesla app.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 12, 2020

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Id like to see this thread mostly focus on new and developing BeVs and PHeVs. I think a separate tesla thread for tesla havers to talk tesla things would be good, but i love this thread for spotlighting new vehicles or ev infrastructure improvements.

Personally I wouldn’t mind if it also covered traditional hybrids, as they are really become a mass market product that people might want to get info on.

SpaceCadetBob fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 12, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One issue with separating the thread is that it's hard to discuss certain EV market segments without mentioning Tesla. I was very interested in the e-tron and Mach E and was cross shopping them with the Tesla offerings. I probably would have bought a Mach E instead of the 3 if it was available and if Ford dealers weren't price gouging. It is challenging to evaluate their features and discuss their future or even pricing without mentioning or comparing their main competitors like Tesla.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 12, 2020

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I know there are a million Model 3 reviews out there but wanted to share a few first impressions on the first day. The car is quick (LR AWD without the boost yet) and it actually feels even faster than it actually is because the throttle does not have the short lag of a gas throttle so it feels more abrupt. The steering is precise enough but feels disconnected/numb. I can't read the tires as well as I can on my old E46 M3 or Evo X.

Some random notes:
Some controls are made easier by the interface whereas some are made tougher.
* My wife was seriously annoyed by the fact that she needs to go into the screen to open the glovebox.
* I was annoyed that there isn't an off button for the audio. Mute/pause serves the same function but a big off button seems more intuitive to me.

I'm not a huge fan of the Michelin MXM Primacy tires that are OEM stock.

The trunk is kind of odd. Initially I was closing the trunk with the top of the lid which is awkward because of the angle of the open lid because I forgot that there is a grab handle to pull it shut. The struts are strong and it takes some strength to.

I usually dislike glass roofs/moonroofs but my kids were enamored of the glass roof when sitting in the back seats. Also, the back seats were roomier than I expected so I pleased about that. I examined the top glass and am kind of concerned that the assembly looks like a future failure point.

With respect to the wheels, I stuck with the aero wheel even though I hated how they looked because they are objectively better (not only cheaper but lighter and more range efficient.) But when I saw the dark aero wheels on the midnight silver, it looked much better in person than in photos so I was pleasantly surprised by that.

Congrats on the new ride! I didn't like the stock tires either and it didn't help that Tesla has them at 45psi by default for efficiency. I felt the same way about the aero covers, hated them before I got the car but liked them in person. Still haven't figured out what I'm doing for winter tires yet but lots of time to sort it out.

I'm sure you've figured this out already but you can click in the right scroll wheel and just say glovebox and it'll open. The voice commands work fairly well in general. Doesn't help the passenger though if they want to activate it. It should really be an icon above the nav up top like the door lock.

The trunk is annoying to close and I wish it was a true hatch. Avoid any auto open after market struts, they are even harder to close. I had to remove the ones I installed because my partner could no longer do it. I hope they back port the power liftgate from the Y to the 3 but I doubt it.

What did you end up doing for home charging?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

The Gunslinger posted:

Congrats on the new ride! I didn't like the stock tires either and it didn't help that Tesla has them at 45psi by default for efficiency. I felt the same way about the aero covers, hated them before I got the car but liked them in person. Still haven't figured out what I'm doing for winter tires yet but lots of time to sort it out.

I'm sure you've figured this out already but you can click in the right scroll wheel and just say glovebox and it'll open. The voice commands work fairly well in general. Doesn't help the passenger though if they want to activate it. It should really be an icon above the nav up top like the door lock.

The trunk is annoying to close and I wish it was a true hatch. Avoid any auto open after market struts, they are even harder to close. I had to remove the ones I installed because my partner could no longer do it. I hope they back port the power liftgate from the Y to the 3 but I doubt it.

What did you end up doing for home charging?
Thanks for the tips. It's much appreciated. For the time being I'm running two lines: the first is my garage outlet at 120V (3-5 mile range per hour) and another from my laundry room with 240v 13-40 dryer outlet (22 mile range per hour). I'm waiting for NJ to start it's $500 home charging installation rebate before installing a 14-50 outlet in the garage (30 mile range per hour). I thought about the Tesla wall connector at 44 mile range per hour but the 14-50 would give me more flexibility if we get a second EV from a different manufacturer.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

CannonFodder posted:

Thread discussion: do not gas the thread, if need be electrocute it, this is a NO ICE ZONE

These pictures are lovely but it shows how the cargo space is really big.

Two duffel bags, two dirty clothes bags, my CPAP and dop kit, a catch-all hamper, and a cooler with drink mugs.

Sweet, thanks for your help. If you don't mind, could I get the dimensions of the carpeted cargo area. Just squared off. Not all the wheel wells and stuff. That would save me a trip to a dealership in Covid times.

Normal short board surfing out here in LA county. Malibu/Ventura areas. I mostly foil surf now actually, ( example: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCe0QAEj0XY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link ) but still carry a normal 6'1" shortboard with me too. Kids want to bring boogie boards and 8 foot soft tops when we go, thankfully I have a Subaru Outback that carries that stuff pretty well.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the tips. It's much appreciated. For the time being I'm running two lines: the first is my garage outlet at 120V (3-5 mile range per hour) and another from my laundry room with 240v 13-40 dryer outlet (22 mile range per hour). I'm waiting for NJ to start it's $500 home charging installation rebate before installing a 14-50 outlet in the garage (30 mile range per hour). I thought about the Tesla wall connector at 44 mile range per hour but the 14-50 would give me more flexibility if we get a second EV from a different manufacturer.

Go for NEMA 6-50 instead, it's way better for charging EVs. Cheaper & easier to install, too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Go for NEMA 6-50 instead, it's way better for charging EVs. Cheaper & easier to install, too.
Thanks for that information. I'll ask electricians to provide me an estimate based on the 6-50.

et_tu
Mar 28, 2010
Just ban the musk poo poo. The EV market is so new that this thread has bounced from Leafs to Volts to Model 3s to the new emergent market offerings. So walling on manufacturer would make this slow but informative thread useless. I've lurked this thread for years and its the reason I bought the new Kia Soul EV over a Model 3. The direct comparison is useful. We're facing a slate of new competitors which are going to be compared to the Model 3, so there is no divorcing Tesla from EV chat for the foreseeable future.

Plus, this is still the least toxic EV discussion forum on the internet.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Bum the Sad posted:

yeah I was super stoked about my order in a dead thread. And the only one posting in this thread you shitlord.

This thread has never been high traffic enough to warrant a separate Tesla thread nor have you been posting in it too much, but weren't you supposed to have your car a while ago? Did you ever make an unboxing post? We've been joking this is a dying forum before even the recent drama, and you can tell posts are down from that still. :justpost:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Yuns posted:

Thanks for that information. I'll ask electricians to provide me an estimate based on the 6-50.

Just get quotes for both. The difference between the two should be one extra wire and the plug, and if you're paying someone to do it, the difference might not be as big as you think. The two should be functionally identical for EV charge, so I'm not sure why nfckblvl says 6-50 is better. You can convert a 14-50 install to a 6-50 but not the other way around, so it may depend on what charger you'd theoretically go with. This is subject to change by the time you buy, but for example the Siemens chargers are only offered with 6-50 while juiceboxes are only in 14-50. Both chargepoint and clippercreek offer both. You could change the plugs too, but :effort:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just took my Spark EV out for a ride since it had been sitting for a week or two. It's so dang fun. I know I'm not the fastest car on the road, but I'd argue I'm one of the more fun ones. I think it's time for new tires, though. It always can spin the tires, but it was happening unintentionally with some slightly wet roads.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yuns posted:

Thanks for posting your opinions on what it's like in your new experience. My parents were interested in getting a 3 and live in NJ as well, but their biggest concern wasn't just about charging but how well it would work in the winter, so they didn't get it. So just remember in 6 months to post what it is like driving when snow starts falling.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

et_tu posted:

Just ban the musk poo poo. The EV market is so new that this thread has bounced from Leafs to Volts to Model 3s to the new emergent market offerings. So walling on manufacturer would make this slow but informative thread useless. I've lurked this thread for years and its the reason I bought the new Kia Soul EV over a Model 3. The direct comparison is useful. We're facing a slate of new competitors which are going to be compared to the Model 3, so there is no divorcing Tesla from EV chat for the foreseeable future.

Plus, this is still the least toxic EV discussion forum on the internet.

Mostly agreed, I didn't think the recent Musk chat was even all that bad but I also usually read C-Spam and have read these forums for years so that might be skewing my opinion. I guess my question would be if there have been a rash of bad posts could we see some examples of whats generating those reports and if they are truly bad probe those posters rather than shutting down the entire thread?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GoutPatrol posted:

Thanks for posting your opinions on what it's like in your new experience. My parents were interested in getting a 3 and live in NJ as well, but their biggest concern wasn't just about charging but how well it would work in the winter, so they didn't get it. So just remember in 6 months to post what it is like driving when snow starts falling.

I'm curious about this because people in Norway drive a poo poo ton of EVs and there is no way that the weather in NJ is worse.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm curious about this because people in Norway drive a poo poo ton of EVs and there is no way that the weather in NJ is worse.
The weather in NJ isn't as bad, but the charging infrastructure definitely is worse.

So my (mis)adventures in getting a Model 3 may be winding down soon, late last week my delivery appointment on the order page actually changed from the 18th to the 15th, first time its moved earlier. Going to text my sales advisor tomorrow and see whats up because last I heard it wouldn't be in till the 22nd. Also its asking for me to enter in a bank account and send the down payment and shows the lending agreement in documents, but that showed up over a week ago and my sales advisor said to hold off for now.

Skimming the inventory on tesla-info.com showed quite a few stealth performance model 3s (performance but with 18" aero wheels), but apparently they only made like 2 blue ones this whole year, would have been 3 if they hadn't put the wrong the paint codes on mine. Plenty of white, black, a couple reds, and like one midnight silver last I checked. The closer I get to delivery, the more agonizing the wait is. I should have just ordered a blue performance with the upgrade kit and fitted it with a set of 18" wheels like the Fast Wheels EV1+ that look great to me and are just as efficient as the aeros.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Indiana_Krom posted:

The weather in NJ isn't as bad, but the charging infrastructure definitely is worse.

Right, but the OP's parents were concerned about the weather.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

GoutPatrol posted:

EV's are fine in :norway: winters, they'll be fine in NJ. Public charging is worse, though with a Tesla you have access to the supercharger network and won't have to worry about it much. The car also actively preconditions the battery when you have SC's on your route, making the experience a lot better than it was just a couple of years ago (gently caress having a cold battery at a fast charger - tops out at 30-40 kW until it heats up enough).

That being said, being able to charge at home (and preferably park in a garage) is pretty important to make the EV experience more seamless.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I only experienced the tail end of a Canadian winter but the range loss wasn't a big deal. The biggest hit to range efficiency in the winter has been the cabin heating and general conditions, wind in particular murders your efficiency on the freeway and you're generally doing little regenerative braking which hurts more. If I had a longer commute I would've gotten the LR AWD for sure but thankfully my driving is 50-100 miles a day tops.

I just set my charge time to a few hours before work and the battery is already warmed up by the time I leave. I think it's more of a problem if you do a ton of stops where the battery has time to cold soak. Charging at home is key though.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

This past winter in CO I put X-Ice 3’s on my AWD M3 and it chewed through a few deep snow and ice storms. Would recommend, dont think the studded version is needed unless you live in the mountains and get more snow for longer.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Speaking of Teslas, they just price dropped the Y by 3k for LR AWD, starting at 49,990 I believe now. Reddit was saying if anyone got one in the last 7 days, Tesla will cut you a 3k check.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

gwrtheyrn posted:

Just get quotes for both. The difference between the two should be one extra wire and the plug, and if you're paying someone to do it, the difference might not be as big as you think. The two should be functionally identical for EV charge, so I'm not sure why nfckblvl says 6-50 is better. You can convert a 14-50 install to a 6-50 but not the other way around, so it may depend on what charger you'd theoretically go with. This is subject to change by the time you buy, but for example the Siemens chargers are only offered with 6-50 while juiceboxes are only in 14-50. Both chargepoint and clippercreek offer both. You could change the plugs too, but :effort:

It doesn't really matter, I hacked the 14-50 off my EVSE and replaced it with a 6-50 so I could use my welding outlet, I don't think any of them use the neutral prong on the 14-50.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depending on the locations in each area, you might be surprised, the Gulf Stream keeps coastal Norway surprisingly mild in the winter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Elviscat posted:

It doesn't really matter, I hacked the 14-50 off my EVSE and replaced it with a 6-50 so I could use my welding outlet, I don't think any of them use the neutral prong on the 14-50.

I’m not aware of any EVSEs that need a neutral, but the 14-50 has become the de facto standard because of the relative prevalence of existing RV shore power outlets. In terms of EV usage, there is no difference.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

MomJeans420 posted:

This thread has never been high traffic enough to warrant a separate Tesla thread nor have you been posting in it too much, but weren't you supposed to have your car a while ago? Did you ever make an unboxing post? We've been joking this is a dying forum before even the recent drama, and you can tell posts are down from that still. :justpost:
No I just posted a picture of it in the showroom before I picked it up. I'm in love with this car

I didn't post an unboxing because this thread is just the poo poo on Tesla thread and didn't want a bunch of goons just making GBS threads on a happy day.

Bum the Sad posted:

They hosed up the temp tags(sent the stat my expires 6/31 insurance card and not the starts 7/1 card I sent them twice). I was supposed to pick it up yesterday but now I’m going in at 4. I stopped to visit it on the way home.

Couple small issues, the right tail light wasn't quite flush but I got them to fix it before I picked it up (then they forgot to plug it back in so I got an error... and the drat car would only auto lane change to the left since it didn't detect a right turn signal.) Also I wasn't quite happy with the gap on the left side of the hatch.

Oh and there were a couple clips missing holding the trim in place on the drivers side front wheel well. So I had two alignment issues and a trim issue.

I got the issues corrected the next Friday.

Sucks about those but the paint is flawless and I love the car. Got to play around in a big red Model X while they did the service on Friday.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jul 12, 2020

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Congrats. Glad things got fixed in a timely manner.

Bum the Sad posted:

Sucks about those but the paint is flawless and I love the car. Got to play around in a big red Model X while they did the service on Friday.

Any notes on size comparison between Y and X?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

RZA Encryption posted:

Congrats. Glad things got fixed in a timely manner.

Any notes on size comparison between Y and X?

You can definitely tell the X is a true SUV, you feel like you're getting into a truck. The interior felt huge while my Y feels large.

The comparison of X = SUV and Y = Crossover is completely correct. I love my Y though, it feel spacious but still "sporty" at the same time.

Bum the Sad fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 12, 2020

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Oh man and the auto steer/auto navigate is loving magic.

On city streets it's a neat gimmick you really need to baby sit but on the highway it's mind blowing. I'm still in the randomly auto lane change for fun phase... It's so neat, you just flick the turn signal stalk and it scans the lane next to you and if clear just drifts over. If you have a navigation destination set it will even take the exit for you and then yell at you to take over now :D

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

MrLogan posted:

Can I post about Tesla solar panels here still?

Might attract some flames.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was excited about the Tesla solar tiles thing when they announced them but I think they've only started doing a few installs at the beginning of this year. Otherwise for regular solar it seems like the consensus is to go with somebody else.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If we're trying to improve the signal v noise ratio here I'd say that home solar discussion is irrelevant even though one company in that industry happens to also make EVs.

...unless you're talking about how well your solar setup charges your EV.

I recently tried out an EV ARC off-grid solar EV charger at the Trees of Stone Interpretive Trailhead. It was pretty neat, does exactly what you'd expect. I think I got 15A out of it, and was the only one charging at the time (There are two charge handles). If I was a prepper I'd definitely have one of these on my compound.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

Might attract some flames.

Better here than on the roof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Hdip posted:

Sweet, thanks for your help. If you don't mind, could I get the dimensions of the carpeted cargo area. Just squared off. Not all the wheel wells and stuff. That would save me a trip to a dealership in Covid times.

Normal short board surfing out here in LA county. Malibu/Ventura areas. I mostly foil surf now actually, ( example: https://www.instagram.com/p/CCe0QAEj0XY/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link ) but still carry a normal 6'1" shortboard with me too. Kids want to bring boogie boards and 8 foot soft tops when we go, thankfully I have a Subaru Outback that carries that stuff pretty well.

41 inches across, 27 inches deep at the bottom, 15 inches deep at the top because the seats lean back and the hatch goes forwards, 27 inches tall at the hatch.