Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

The Trump administration is so internally duplicitous that I don't if this is someone honestly talking about how Bannon rules the roost or someone dropping this statement so that Trump sees it and has to fire Bannon to salve his ego

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Oh, reddit

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I guess this is Trump's response
https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/897975272946794497

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/897972529121419264

sounds like the people who hate bannon are gonna use this to sink him

Oh god please. Please please please.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fulchrum posted:

Saying that a traitor to the nazis who turns coat on them as soon as he can and just massacres Nazis for fun makes Nazis look good seems like a stretch even Nazis wouldn't be dumb enough to take the wrong way.

Landa is the only one you can make the claim for, since Zoller is just this oblivious dumbass right up til he turns into a rapist and Shoshanna gets sick of dealing with him, and Rachtmann ends up with his brains beaten in treated as a joke.
Hence the quotation marks. ;)

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

One of the pee tapes

More seriously, if Bannon turns Breitbart against Trump he's done, that would tank his popularity among even the right wing fringe, and they're the only supporters Tru.p has left.

evilweasel posted:

the power to turn brietbart against him

I try to forget Breitbart exists. Jesus, Bannon is the most competent person in this administration....

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/897257484439519233

https://twitter.com/jonrog1/status/897498145373827073

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Literally no difference between the first president of a country and the first general to command an army fighting to secede from it. Literally.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
This is a great story.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/897970905418268674

Reporter: Did you guys know there's a Robert E Lee Monument here in Franklin Township?
Franklin Township : No way we gave that land to the City of Franklin, ask them about it.
City of Franklin: No way that's a clerical error, we're giving it back.

Monument hot potato in south west Ohio.

A description of the monument here.

http://www.columbusnavigator.com/ohio-confederate-monuments/

quote:

Perhaps most egregiously, a marker lauding Robert E. Lee sits on city owned land in northwestern Warren County, at the intersection of Old Dixie Highway and Hamilton-Middleton Road. The plaque is attached to a boulder and reads: “Erected and Dedicated by the United Daughters of the Confederacy and Friends In Loving Memory of Robert E. Lee and to Mark the Route of the Dixie Highway. ‘The shaft memorial and highway straight attest his worth — he cometh to his own.’ — Littlefield/Erected 1927.”
From what I can tell through research, and according to this Confederate blogger, this is the only monument to Robert E. Lee north of the Ohio river.
The dedication, again, in 1927, was apparently … something:

The Cincinnati Enquirer advanced the 1927 dedication ceremonies for the “marker,” noting that among those present would be the president of Ohio’s United Daughters of the Confederacy, Ohio’s director of highways, and — on behalf of the city — the publisher of the Franklin Chronicle. A male quartet would sing “Carry Me Back to Ole Virginny” (Lee’s home state was Virginia), an official from Virginia’s Washington and Lee University was to give an address, and the audience would sing Lee’s favorite hymn, “How Firm a Foundation.”

You know, just a random monument to Lee, for no reason, in Ohio.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

evilweasel posted:

the power to turn brietbart against him

Yup. Trump knows Bannon would go scorched earth and sink him with his base.

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

republicans are apparently using aedelson money to try to run a secret recall campaign in nevada to put the nevada state senate into play: https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/status/897967879492059138

Eventually all of Adelson's poo poo is gonna backfire, right? Who am I kidding. Dude is going all out cause he knows he's living on borrowed time. Is Nevada really at risk of turning into another Michigan/Wisconsin/Pennsylvania?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Giggy posted:

I try to forget Breitbart exists. Jesus, Bannon is the most competent person in this administration....

In the first round of the GOP attempting to get the Obamacare repeal through the House, Bannon took it upon himself to confront members of the HFC and attempt to intimidate them into voting yes.

They laughed in his face and all voted no.

It was pretty obvious at the time and now more so in retrospect that Bannon lost a TON of influence in the White House after that debacle.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

YES, yes. This is Good.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

farraday posted:

This is a great story.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/897970905418268674

Reporter: Did you guys know there's a Robert E Lee Monument here in Franklin Township?
Franklin Township : No way we gave that land to the City of Franklin, ask them about it.
City of Franklin: No way that's a clerical error, we're giving it back.

Monument hot potato in south west Ohio.

A description of the monument here.

http://www.columbusnavigator.com/ohio-confederate-monuments/

You know, just a random monument to Lee, for no reason, in Ohio.

Why are there confederate monuments in Union territory?

Kale
May 14, 2010

yellowcar posted:

don't forget the anime nazis

It's basically all stuff places like 4chan attribute to these hobbies when a lot if the time there's little if any attempt to make any sort of political statement these people just invent one and attribute to that thing in the "ironic" style. I figure it's the same people that utterly poo poo up the Twitch Evo chats by shouting "Weebs unite" this and racist crap everywhere and got banned within the first few hours of the 3 day event. Why you would make a sacrificial account that costs money to register just to spam a chat for a couple hours before getting modded out during the events the fewest people are going to see I don't know but nobody ever figured these people for particularly smart I imagine.

I mean hell they even tried to coopt the red wings logo and I hope the red wings organization sues the poo poo out of some of these hate groups if it can. They really need to stop being allowed to coopt otherwise harmless symbols and hobbies for their bullshit, like pepe the frog didn't used to be a hate symbol for example either. That's not fair use

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Blitz7x posted:

Oh, reddit

On the other hand there's 50k and 12.5k upvotes for a post explaining how the counter-protesters had permits, how the rally was explicitly for Neo-Nazis, and how Trump was lying to defend white nationalists.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Your Taint posted:

Racism knows no bounds.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

In the first round of the GOP attempting to get the Obamacare repeal through the House, Bannon took it upon himself to confront members of the HFC and attempt to intimidate them into voting yes.

They laughed in his face and all voted no.

It was pretty obvious at the time and now more so in retrospect that Bannon lost a TON of influence in the White House after that debacle.

Competence in the Trump administration isn't a high bar. The fact that Bannon has managed to stick around this long shows that he's at least...conniving.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
You guys remember that Neo Nazi from that Vice documentary a couple days ago?

http://www.newsweek.com/white-supremacist-ready-violence-cries-charlottesville-arrest-warrant-651682

Dude's about to be arrested and just posted a video of himself crying in fear over that fact.

I hope this brings a lil light to your souls you fuckers you.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Your Taint posted:

Because Ohioans are assholes by and large.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bueno Papi posted:

Eventually all of Adelson's poo poo is gonna backfire, right? Who am I kidding. Dude is going all out cause he knows he's living on borrowed time. Is Nevada really at risk of turning into another Michigan/Wisconsin/Pennsylvania?

no its going thenother way, theyre doing this cause otherwise its mathmatically impossible for republicans to contest the state senate due to staggered terms

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Burning_Monk posted:

Because Ohioans are assholes by and large.

More on topic:
https://twitter.com/Acosta/status/897976308034154497
https://twitter.com/meakoopa/status/897976055339896832

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Your Taint posted:

Because the daughters of the confederacy et al looked for any excuse to put one anywhere.

And post reconstruction whites put a glowing soft focus on the Civil War and swept it all out of mind while Black Americans suffered for our willful revision of the War into a a regrettable but glorious fight between brothers.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The man not only had slaves, but he wasn't the first Euro to "discover" the Americas. We've known about Leif Erikson for years and Goddamn it, a Viking is cooler than a poo poo head Italian slaver.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When his rally suppose to be because I bet that there is going to be a large presence of Nazis there and Alt Right now that he's dog whistled that he supported them.

That's gonna look real bad if they turn up in droves cause holy poo poo

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Blitz7x posted:

Oh, reddit

goddamn this dude needs to join a club and get a hug

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Giggy posted:

What power does Rasputin have that terrifies Trump so much?

Bannon has a copy of the piss tape through his old job.

Be honest, this would explain a lot.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hollismason posted:

When his rally suppose to be because I bet that there is going to be a large presence of Nazis there and Alt Right now that he's dog whistled that he supported them.

That's gonna look real bad if they turn up in droves cause holy poo poo

Again, that's essentially the type of people who already go to these

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

a righteous god would wake up and find a way to sweep newt up in the russian probe

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Kale posted:

It's basically all stuff places like 4chan attribute to these hobbies when a lot if the time there's little if any attempt to make any sort of political statement these people just invent one and attribute to that thing in the "ironic" style. I figure it's the same people that utterly poo poo up the Twitch Evo chats by shouting "Weebs unite" this and racist crap everywhere and got banned within the first few hours of the 3 day event. Why you would make a sacrificial account that costs money to register just to spam a chat for a couple hours before getting modded out during the events the fewest people are going to see I don't know but nobody ever figured these people for particularly smart I imagine.

I mean hell they even tried to coopt the red wings logo and I hope the red wings organization sues the poo poo out of some of these hate groups if it can. They really need to stop being allowed to coopt otherwise harmless symbols and hobbies for their bullshit, like pepe the frog didn't used to be a hate symbol for example either. That's not fair use

Yea it doesn't matter in the lawless wastes of 4chan. The thing is we all thought it was just immature poo poo that doesn't matter. The thing is now those assholes grew up into Nazi's while we became internet dads.

We've become soft. Frankly the people reading this forum are the only ones equipped to fight this battle.

15min a day, go fight em old man. You don't even have to get up from your chair.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Kale posted:

It's because all these losers got as an identity are video games and anime. You take all that away and they got nothing else. Somewhere along the way the ironic bigotry became genuine.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Jaxyon posted:

Again, that's essentially the type of people who already go to these

Yes but now the difference is they'll be more open in their Nazi regalia.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The daughters of the confederacy really got around.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

He owned slaves, fought to keep those that should have been freed, and let his troops enslave free blacks. He was the commander of the seceding troops.

Stop believing sanitized reconstruction myths of Lee.

Yeah. Didn't he sue to keep slaves that he inherited from his in-laws' estate, when the will said they were supposed to be freed? Doesn't sound like the actions of a man who was opposed to the institution of slavery in any way.

I've heard, but can't source, that Lee was regarded as a "hard master" even as such things were considered among the folks in antebellum Virginia; driving them hard, 'lending' them out to other plantations for extended periods, breaking up their families, and subjecting them to regular corporal punishment.

All of this contrasts with his reputation of being fair to his (white) soldiers and caring for their wellbeing. (This at least is attested in his own letters.) Pretty cut and dry case of being a real racist rear end in a top hat, especially if what I've heard about his treatment of the slaves is even half-true.

Jackson was a monster to slave and soldier alike, at least, and even then he treated the slaves in his household nicely on Sundays. The minute you start scratching the surface on the mythic veneers of these guys you get to realizing how hosed-up it is that we honor them with statues and poo poo.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 17, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

BlueBlazer posted:

We've become soft. Frankly the people reading this forum are the only ones equipped to fight this battle.

You may be overestimating us

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

evilweasel posted:

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/897972529121419264

sounds like the people who hate bannon are gonna use this to sink him

Is this some kind of weird power play? Why would he give that interview?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Bhaal posted:

More or less. Lee thought slavery was bad and secession was worse, but state identity was a much bigger deal back then and he was less disgusted with joining a bad cause than he was by turning on his fellow virginians. He dragged his feet a little to declare for the south and generally agonized over it, if you want to put him in a generous light.

Pretty sure he holds the record for an enemy commander that has killed the most americans, so yeah at least he was right to disagree about enshrining his loving likeness in the role of said commander for a monument to stand on american loving soil.

Also there was probably still a non-zero chance of him getting hanged in 1866, so forgive and forget was definitely in his best interest.

E: also, as another posted said, don't buy the post-reconstruction defenses of Lee. He may not have been a fan of secession and civil war as solutions to the problem, but he wasn't anti-slavery and he was a traitor.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 17, 2017

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
It doesn't matter what Lee "thought" or "believed." We know for a fact that he fought against the United States as an enemy combatant and killed American soldiers. By definition, he is a traitor.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

business hammocks posted:

Is this some kind of weird power play? Why would he give that interview?

Hubris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

OldTennisCourt posted:

You guys remember that Neo Nazi from that Vice documentary a couple days ago?

http://www.newsweek.com/white-supremacist-ready-violence-cries-charlottesville-arrest-warrant-651682

Dude's about to be arrested and just posted a video of himself crying in fear over that fact.

I hope this brings a lil light to your souls you fuckers you.

Today I found out this shithead lives in my state and the Facebook reaction are people talking about chasing him the gently caress out

• Locked thread