Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MZ posted:

Finally finished the main story in RDR2 and this is one of the most conflicted games I've ever played.

On the one hand it's one of the best of 2018 and has some elements that are a couple of years ahead of other games, it's also the best writing R* has done by a country mile.

On the other it also has some frustrating 14+ year old design choices that R* still insist on forcing upon you and are pretty annoying.

Also it's a massive game, there was a whole like 20% of the map I didn't even go to until the epilogue :psyduck: and seems like I missed a bunch of stuff here! I barely even touched the hunting stuff or some of the other collectables.

I really enjoyed it but also have a bunch of problems with it and totally see why you would bounce off it.

Things I liked:
+ Arthur's character arc, particularly the last third I did not see the twist with the TB coming, and the way they worked that into missions was really well done.
+ Getting drunk with Lenny was awesome, probably the best gaming moment of 2018, and it's crazy that they worked in a bunch of mechanics for this one mission only that are never used again.
+ The quality of the animation & graphics and just world in general is sublime.
+ Voice acting, sound effects and music are all excellent.

Disliked:
- You can unlock fast-travel, but only to and from certain points, you will still spend 50% of the game riding on your horse.
- The forced slow walking speed in camp is just aaargh.
- Never saving your gun load-out and having to re-select them every time you get off your horse gets old very quickly and there is no way QA wouldn't have flagged this, which means it is by design and I can't believe they thought this was a good idea.
- Insta-failing a mission when you go slightly off the marked path, really!?
- Far too many contextual controls, but you do get used to them.
- The epilogue is several hours too long, it was obvious what they were building up to and I wish they just got to it quicker.
I agree there are some gameplay problems, but I found them to be mostly minor and everything else overcame them.

One thing I was surprised about was how many times in a chase or combat sequence I had a companion NPC die from a gunshot. Never happened that much in the first game or any GTA game. But there were a few times where one enemy would zero in on another character riding a horse and blammo, mission failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
RDR2 is unplayable garbage. I just remembered how often I seent 'You cannot fast travel/camp because there are enemies nearby' even though nothing shows on the map.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

RDR2 is unplayable garbage. I just remembered how often I seent 'You cannot fast travel/camp because there are enemies nearby' even though nothing shows on the map.

You cannot leave without your buddy Superfly.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Todd has tricked you again, you fool

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

RDR2 is unplayable garbage.

Not really

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I found RDR2 "unplayable" in the sense that having almost no direction just burns me out. It's probably the same reason I didn't click with Breath of the Wild, both are great games to read about and follow and hear people speaking about on podcasts etc but everytime I sat down to author my own experience I just did not have a good or fun time being in the respective game worlds. I felt the games expected me to make my own fun and that just existing in their world should be a wonderful experience.

I am adoring Monster Hunter World though, I think a lot of it is just always having an overarching objective. When you enter a mission on MH you will always have this main aim be it hunting a specific monster or collecting a specific ingredient but you can deviate from that freely and as long as you obey the games generous time limits its not going to be a negative.

It really makes me feel a bit sad I couldn't enjoy RDR2 or BOTW but that sort of game-play structure just does not speak to me

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

The bugs are very rare in-game. The controls are a step in the wrong direction from what is best for usability sake. The story/animations/dialog are high production values, and while I have no interest in the western setting, seems good to me. [ I imagine somebody fan of the setting is probably writing long love letters to the game with tears in his face. But I am fan of science fiction and nothing else, I am that simple. ].

I know opinions are subjetive and everything is relative, to some point, but even then not all opinions are ok. You are wrong.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I find the game a lot more enjoyable without worrying about the story.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm the opposite - I really like picking a compass point and heading that way as far as I can while having adventures on the way. I was really enjoying RDR2's lack of fast travel and was disappointed when I realised you can unlock it. I also love how slow the game is, both in plot and mechanics.

But hey, each to their own.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm the opposite - I really like picking a compass point and heading that way as far as I can while having adventures on the way. I was really enjoying RDR2's lack of fast travel and was disappointed when I realised you can unlock it. I also love how slow the game is, both in plot and mechanics.

But hey, each to their own.

I'm sure this was the way it was supposed to be played, but I have an issue with spearheading the main story so I can find out what happens.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

You must gather your party before venturing forth

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

CrRoMa posted:

I found RDR2 "unplayable" in the sense that having almost no direction just burns me out. It's probably the same reason I didn't click with Breath of the Wild, both are great games to read about and follow and hear people speaking about on podcasts etc but everytime I sat down to author my own experience I just did not have a good or fun time being in the respective game worlds. I felt the games expected me to make my own fun and that just existing in their world should be a wonderful experience.

I don't understand what you're saying here. RDR2 and BoTW are games where you can make your own fun, but only if you want to. If you don't, there are clearly signposted goals for you to accomplish. Granted BoTW is far more open with how you are able to accomplish those goals than RDR2 but they aren't like Garry's Mod or Minecraft or something where there are no game-created goals in the first place.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

owl_pellet posted:

I don't understand what you're saying here. RDR2 and BoTW are games where you can make your own fun, but only if you want to. If you don't, there are clearly signposted goals for you to accomplish. Granted BoTW is far more open with how you are able to accomplish those goals than RDR2 but they aren't like Garry's Mod or Minecraft or something where there are no game-created goals in the first place.
Yeah, exactly. Just do the missions then? There are clearly marked icons for that stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Any hard drive brands I should avoid for a 4TB PS4 upgrade?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Any hard drive brands I should avoid for a 4TB PS4 upgrade?

You mean external, right? Internals of the 2.5" size only go up to 2tb.

Almost anything should work. Note that I have a self-powered external 4tb drive (Seagate, the Xbox-branded one) and when I used it on my PS4 there was slowdown with it (cutscenes would have desynced/skipping audio with some games). I have an externally powered 5tb drive and it works perfectly.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MZ posted:

Finally finished the main story in RDR2 and this is one of the most conflicted games I've ever played.

On the one hand it's one of the best of 2018 and has some elements that are a couple of years ahead of other games, it's also the best writing R* has done by a country mile.

On the other it also has some frustrating 14+ year old design choices that R* still insist on forcing upon you and are pretty annoying.

Also it's a massive game, there was a whole like 20% of the map I didn't even go to until the epilogue :psyduck: and seems like I missed a bunch of stuff here! I barely even touched the hunting stuff or some of the other collectables.

I really enjoyed it but also have a bunch of problems with it and totally see why you would bounce off it.

Things I liked:
+ Arthur's character arc, particularly the last third I did not see the twist with the TB coming, and the way they worked that into missions was really well done.
+ Getting drunk with Lenny was awesome, probably the best gaming moment of 2018, and it's crazy that they worked in a bunch of mechanics for this one mission only that are never used again.
+ The quality of the animation & graphics and just world in general is sublime.
+ Voice acting, sound effects and music are all excellent.

Disliked:
- You can unlock fast-travel, but only to and from certain points, you will still spend 50% of the game riding on your horse.
- The forced slow walking speed in camp is just aaargh.
- Never saving your gun load-out and having to re-select them every time you get off your horse gets old very quickly and there is no way QA wouldn't have flagged this, which means it is by design and I can't believe they thought this was a good idea.
- Insta-failing a mission when you go slightly off the marked path, really!?
- Far too many contextual controls, but you do get used to them.
- The epilogue is several hours too long, it was obvious what they were building up to and I wish they just got to it quicker.

That guy who said it plays like 2 different games made a compelling argument. Probably even made by multiple groups/studios around the world and patched together, like seemingly every huge game these days.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

This is the complaint I usually have about GTA and open world games in general, but BotW had me eating out of its hand. For me, it was saved by a couple things: 1) You have one specific goal for the entire game, it's established in the opening hours, and it's represented by a big spooky castle that you can see from almost anywhere on the map. You may not always know where to go next, but you always know exactly why you're out adventuring. At any time you can "make your fun" by heading to that castle and dealing with what's there. If you can't handle it yet, then you now have your motivation for exploring the world in order to power up. 2) More subjectively, the world is so gorgeous and littered with detail that just wandering around was satisfying. I didn't have to come up with goals and push myself toward them, I just let what was interesting on the horizon tug me in its direction. I decide I want to explore that big canyon, and I end up discovering a new Goron minigame, a new dragon, and the giant Hylia statue from Skyward Sword. Badass

I haven't played RDR2, but it seems like it leans hard on point 2, which means your enjoyment will depend largely on how much you want to live inside a western. (I've fantasized about exploring Hyrule with no invisible walls since I was a kid, so BotW totally loving had me there.) What I'd love is for more open world games to borrow from point 1 and give you one big goal at the outset, and then let that goal compel you throughout the rest of the game. Of course, that would clash heavily with a more narrative-driven game. But I also happen to think that open-world freedom and a fixed narrative are like oil and water. They can only undercut each other, so best to choose one and focus on it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That guy who said it plays like 2 different games made a compelling argument. Probably even made by multiple groups/studios around the world and patched together, like seemingly every huge game these days.

That’s the strangest thing I’ve ever read about RDR2. It’s one of the most cohesive and consistent games I’ve played across its mechanics/themes/story/. It’s a holistic game on a level barely any AAA games come close to.

Main game vs online I could see though.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I just loved Arthur so much. He's a big oaf brute but so endearing and loyal.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

univbee posted:

You mean external, right? Internals of the 2.5" size only go up to 2tb.

Aw man that sucks. Guess I’ll wait.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

That’s the strangest thing I’ve ever read about RDR2. It’s one of the most cohesive and consistent games I’ve played across its mechanics/themes/story/. It’s a holistic game on a level barely any AAA games come close to.

Main game vs online I could see though.

Man, from all the poo poo I've seen and read online about it, consistency does not sound like RDR2's strong suit. Like, the game even divided the Giant Bomb staff right down the middle. They argued over it for 3+ hours, and many of the arguments made about its fractured design philosophies were pretty loving interesting, and from what I can tell the most ardent supporters are experiencing some serious cogmnitive dissonance.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Kilometers Davis posted:

I fully agree with this. RDR2 owns.

Steep also owns, looking forward to chilling out to it later tonight.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Montalvo posted:

I fully agree with this. RDR2 owns.

Steep also owns, looking forward to chilling out to it later tonight.

I hope Steep is good, I’m looking forward to trying it. I’m always in the mood for sports/racing games to zone out too and they’ve been lacking this generation imo.

Man, from all the poo poo I've seen and read online about it, consistency does not sound like RDR2's strong suit. Like, the game even divided the Giant Bomb staff right down the middle. They argued over it for 3+ hours, and many of the arguments made about its fractured design philosophies were pretty loving interesting, and from what I can tell the most ardent supporters are experiencing some serious cogmnitive dissonance.

Even the tiniest little actions and details serve the whole. Besides God of War I can’t think of a game anywhere near as cohesive as RDR2 and GoW was nowhere near the same scope. The deeper you explore the game and take time with its different systems the more you’re rewarded throughout the game. It’s very impressive. It’s the polar opposite of the mediocre big budget game with no vision and a scattered slapped together mix of gameplay mechanics.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'll concede RDR2 is the most impressive technically but in terms of design I was much more into HZD or MHW. That's more aesthetic preference tho.

The thing that got me in RDR2 the most was the atmospheric diffusion in the distance. They really made the long distance look just like Spaghetti western vistas and 70s technicolor in general. I loving loved tgat poo poo. GTA V also really did that spectacularly. I don't know what R* does to render long distances but it's far beyond anyone else's tech.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'll concede RDR2 is the most impressive technically but in terms of design I was much more into HZD or MHW. That's more aesthetic preference tho.

The thing that got me in RDR2 the most was the atmospheric diffusion in the distance. They really made the long distance look just like Spaghetti western vistas and 70s technicolor in general. I loving loved tgat poo poo. GTA V also really did that spectacularly. I don't know what R* does to render long distances but it's far beyond anyone else's tech.

https://www.polygon.com/red-dead-redemption/2018/10/26/18024982/red-dead-redemption-2-art-inspiration-landscape-paintings

If you haven’t read that yet I think you might really enjoy it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

It’s the polar opposite of the mediocre big budget game with no vision and a scattered slapped together mix of gameplay mechanics.

Well, first off I'm not trying to describe it as mediocre, or slapped-together, or lacking in vision.

Do you get me?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BP play the game. It’s 2019 go wild.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So this isn't like, a problem or anything, but a quirk about Persona 5 I'm noticing is that the characters will often repeat the same thing over and over, just wording it differently, as if they're trying to make sure the player absolutely 100% understands what's going on in story/world. They'll be like "blah blah", and then one guy will be like "oh yeah! so blah blah!" and someone will go "blah blah, yeah" and then he'll follow it up with "to put int basic terms, blah blah" and it's just kind of a funny thing I've noticed with this game. This all goes double so for Ryuji who is constantly like "I don't get it" despite Morgana explaining it to him like a 5 year old multiple times in a row. I haven't played any of the other Personas so I have no idea if they have a similar thing in the others.

I find it kind of funny cause they absolutely do NOT do this kind of thing for game mechanics, like the Pokemon Fusion :v:

edit: Also unrelated, the music inside the art "museum" is the chillest poo poo on the planet

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jan 3, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

BP play the game. It’s 2019 go wild.

Too many games! It's prolly at the bottom of my list to be honest, given my finicky videogame nature.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Too many games! It's prolly at the bottom of my list to be honest, given my finicky videogame nature.

If you end up playing it someday I’ll play any game of your choice on the PS4 alright bud? I am an honorable man with a bad memory so remind me when the day comes.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

That was interesting, cheers mate. Forwarded it to my dad too he's big on landscapes.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Well, first off I'm not trying to describe it as mediocre, or slapped-together, or lacking in vision.

Do you get me?

Yeah, I gotta say a lot of my problems with the game were exacerbated by the fact that they absolutely did it like that on purpose for whatever bizarre loving insane reason and it wasn’t a matter of not being thought through or not having the budget to do it properly. gently caress that game annoyed me. Worst full price purchase since Brink.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Wow I know I'm like a decade late but Vanquish is amazing. Why isn't this on PS4 :negative:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Wow I know I'm like a decade late but Vanquish is amazing. Why isn't this on PS4 :negative:

It's incredibly good, if a little short and with a bad stupid story and characters.

But the actual gameplay and art design is unimpeachable

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've been playing AssCreedOdd for about two weeks now and conceivably might still be playing it when REmake 2 comes out in another three

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Macaluso posted:

So this isn't like, a problem or anything, but a quirk about Persona 5 I'm noticing is that the characters will often repeat the same thing over and over, just wording it differently, as if they're trying to make sure the player absolutely 100% understands what's going on in story/world. They'll be like "blah blah", and then one guy will be like "oh yeah! so blah blah!" and someone will go "blah blah, yeah" and then he'll follow it up with "to put int basic terms, blah blah" and it's just kind of a funny thing I've noticed with this game. This all goes double so for Ryuji who is constantly like "I don't get it" despite Morgana explaining it to him like a 5 year old multiple times in a row. I haven't played any of the other Personas so I have no idea if they have a similar thing in the others.

I find it kind of funny cause they absolutely do NOT do this kind of thing for game mechanics, like the Pokemon Fusion :v:

edit: Also unrelated, the music inside the art "museum" is the chillest poo poo on the planet

It's less a quirk of persona and more a quirk of jrpg's. I see it in all of them, or at least modern ones.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's incredibly good, if a little short and with a bad stupid story and characters.

But the actual gameplay and art design is unimpeachable

The protagonist's upside-down helmet did always kind of bug me. I mean, what's that even for?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sakurazuka posted:

when REmake 2 comes out in another three

The previews been positive?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The bits I've seen seem cool but there was zero chance of me not getting it so I've not really paid much attention to the general buzz around it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is there a single good Soulslike other than Nioh (Bloodborne doesn't count)? I feel in the mood for that sort of gameplay.