Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

holtemon
May 2, 2019

Dancing is forbidden
Well heck I guess it sounded like it would work but yeah probably not the best for clearing snow if it's just gonna refreeze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Haystack posted:

Isn't fire really bad at clearing snow?

It's good at turning snow into water that will quickly freeze to a sheet of ice.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

That is literally that "Torment Nexus" tweet made real. There was a Black Mirror episode about killer robot dogs that looked pretty much identical to that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Maybe now we know where the SFX people acquired their props

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Apparently you can buy the robot for around 1600 and the "flame thrower" you can buy separately for 900.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Haystack posted:

Isn't fire really bad at clearing snow?

Yeah, it takes a ridiculously large amount of fuel to melt any reasonable degree of ice. Heat of fusion is 334 kJ/kg. Energy density of gasoline is 34 MJ/liter. Density of ice at 0C is .91 g/cc. So just to clear a 1-centimeter layer of ice off my driveway would take thousands of liters of gasoline.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i wonder if there were the same issues with cars and trucks when they first made their intro on the streets

Yeah they don't see trams either.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Phanatic posted:

Yeah, it takes a ridiculously large amount of fuel to melt any reasonable degree of ice. Heat of fusion is 334 kJ/kg. Energy density of gasoline is 34 MJ/liter. Density of ice at 0C is .91 g/cc. So just to clear a 1-centimeter layer of ice off my driveway would take thousands of liters of gasoline.

When they salvaged a brand-new P-38 from under 30’+ of ice in Greenland, they designed a borer 3’ in diameter, like an inverted copper kettle, loaded with piping; they circulated hot water through it & let gravity take tare of the rest.

They had to completely rebuild it & it flies now as “Glacier Girl.”

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Phanatic posted:

I could have sworn there was a Colin Furze video where he built a pulsejet snow blower to clear his driveway, which he absolutely did. I can't remember whether he evaporated it or just moved it onto his neighbor's house, which may be why I can't find it on youtube anymore.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i wonder if there were the same issues with cars and trucks when they first made their intro on the streets

There absolutely were the same issues, there's an episode of the Dollop all about it, bonus it contains the origin of the term "Jay walking"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ97CGj6TPY

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Karate Bastard posted:

I could have sworn there was a Colin Furze video where he built a pulsejet snow blower to clear his driveway, which he absolutely did. I can't remember whether he evaporated it or just moved it onto his neighbor's house, which may be why I can't find it on youtube anymore.

I screwed up a conversion step by a factor of 1000 (used kilojoules instead of joules). It's only 83 liters. But that's assuming every bit of it goes into melting ice, that the ice is at 0 C already and doesn't need to be warmed up at all, just melted. And of course that the meltwater all drains away instead of going somewhere equally inconvenient to refreeze. It's still an impractically large amount of fuel required to melt any decent amount of ice.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 24, 2024

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

Karate Bastard posted:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwxinr

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Phanatic posted:

I screwed up a conversion step by a factor of 1000 (used kilojoules instead of joules). It's only 34 liters. But that's assuming every bit of it goes into melting ice, that the ice is at 0 C already and doesn't need to be warmed up at all, just melted. And of course that the meltwater all drains away instead of going somewhere equally inconvenient to refreeze. It's still an impractically large amount of fuel required to melt any decent amount of ice.

it also assumes whole volume needs to be melted into water, not that it could have the bottom surface melted and slid away

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Some of you don't get very much snow, do you

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Who can afford it, in this economy?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Yeah, note that he's not melting the snow so much as he is blowing it around with the exhaust stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFHkr4sU5QI&t=154s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UEfXsu1OVw&t=346s

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

The idiot racist guy is correct, fire is really bad at melting ice. It's WAY easier to move the ice/snow out of the way. The best way for the lovely terror bot to deal with snow would be a snowblower, anything else is too heavy.

Trains however, do not have to worry about weight, and can move tons of snow by flinging it out of the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc7iUzuE2ak

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mozi posted:

It's good at turning snow into water that will quickly freeze to a sheet of ice.

No no, it's bad at that too.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006

That will be used to clear out the homeless at some point, mark my words

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Yes, there it is!

I like Colin Furze but sometimes his designs aren't that efficient. This is the preferable portable jet based blower solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcEkt5vQTVQ

E:

quote:

Seems extremely safe and easy to handle

Karate Bastard fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 24, 2024

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So we need to step it up to nuclear powered jets, gotcha.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

No no, it's bad at that too.

Maybe it the device launched thousands of explosive flechettes to simply blast the snow to smithereens...

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

ah yes, all those prescribed burns where your applicator moves at an ambling pace laying down 30ft of flame at a time. many such use cases

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

quote:

A cautionary tale for those who regularly go bush. This photo is from one of my colleagues up north.

The driver of this Nissan Patrol drove over a branch on the road while on field work in a bush area. The branch broke and flicked up under the vehicle and hit the floor pan. It then slid along the metal floor pan until it got to the plastic drain plug, the only weak spot. This is the result. Luckily, there was no passenger on board or he would have likely required hospital treatment for a bush vasectomy.

Never drive over large fallen branches. Either stop and remove the obstacle, or drive around it. There's a lot at stake.

Here endeth the lesson.

https://i.imgur.com/QvCE61n.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/CuLJQld.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/FqtUL71.mp4

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Karate Bastard posted:

Yes, there it is!

I like Colin Furze but sometimes his designs aren't that efficient. This is the preferable portable jet based blower solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcEkt5vQTVQ

No ear protection while working next to a jet engine.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Collateral Damage posted:

Watching them peel paint from the palette gave me the same brain chemicals as watching protective film get peeled off a screen.
Really wanna know what type of plastic that is so I can buy some.

Kith posted:

quote:

There's a lot at stake.
:golfclap:

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/6evRox3F_XY

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

holtemon posted:

Well heck I guess it sounded like it would work but yeah probably not the best for clearing snow if it's just gonna refreeze

If these 2 could be combined, old people would be unstoppable.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

OgNar posted:

based on my parents they'd all just immediately accidentally set themselves on fire

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

OgNar posted:

Add the jet engine for funsies

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
live-action roujin-z remake sounding good

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kith posted:

quote:

There's a lot at...

stake

:what:

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Close call for Timo

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Finally a new weapon in the war against wasps

Mynameismud
Jul 12, 2009

LimaBiker posted:

Amsterdam has a lot of tram-related deaths too.

This is not true at all. Please look up actual numbers before talking poop

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mynameismud posted:

This is not true at all. Please look up actual numbers before talking poop

Someone is in Big Tram's pocket.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

You losers just need to start heating your roads geothermally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

That's Iceland, its cheating. Stick a shovel to a ground and it starts to heat up when the lava flow reaches it.