Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."

BrosephofArimathea posted:

Red Seas Under Red Skies, by Scott Lynch.

I read The lies of whomever and thought it was clever at times, but literally endless, also the motivation of the main character to go save the good citizens which was apparently self-evident... Does he have shorter stuff?

Unknownmass posted:

The reveal of the character of Loki about 2/3rd into the book spoiled the rest of the story as the Thor movies have Loki's trickery and constant lying as a center point. At one point Loki said he had no relation to Wednesday and that was a big red flag for me. I do hope that I am an outlier and that this book is not getting spoiled for new readers by the Thor movies.

Well... what can I say? You've been living under the wrong rock all this time. :v: I mean, yes, Loki is a liar, period. For me it's long been, "How are they going to play it, straight or with a twist?" I mean, it's the same with Satan. He's Evil, but stories recycle this in different ways, sometimes he's not evil at all, and even a woman... I must confess, you've opened a whole new world of possibilities for me. I didn't know anything about African gods before American gods. And Australian gods. I think I was taught about Hindu gods at school. I know about Quetzalcoatl, though. In short, American gods the movie is long overdue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just finished up the EARC of Monster Hunter Nemesis.

It was pretty good, but man it felt kinda like Dragonball Z at times. It explains the origins of Franks, and gives a hell of a backstory, but there are several times in the book where he's somewhat outmatched by whatever thingie he is fighting, so he takes a hit of his Elixir of Life. After the 3rd or 4th time I read "NO ONE CAN HANDLE 5 DOSES!" and him powering through it, I started realizing this was Franks version of the KaoKen from Dragonball Z.

NO ONE CAN HANDLE A KAOKEN!

*goku powers up*

HAHAH YOU STILL SUCK, I MEAN THAT'S IMPRESSIVE AND ALL BUT HAHAHAHAH

*kaoken times 3*

*shocked people who are wondering why he doesn't explode with SO MUCH POWER COURSING THROUGH HIS GIANT MUSCULAR BODY*

HAHAAAHAH STILL NOT ENOUGH N00B. SERIOUSLY, HOW DID YOU NOT BURST A BLOOD VESSEL?

*KAOKEN TIMES 10*

HOLY FUCKNUGGETS THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE OR VERY IMPROBABLE AT THE LEAST AND I AM SURPRISED AND GASPING AH!

and then there's a lot of yelling.

Basically, that happens probably 4, maybe 5 times in the book with Franks. It loses it's dramatic "feel" as a plot device about the 3rd time he chugs a flask, because you are about 90% sure that either it ain't gonna work well enough, or he's gonna be fine. I'd have preferred some sort of magic reactor or something in him rather than him just doing the same thing over and over again.

THAT BEING SAID, it's a pretty good book if you like the series. Just kinda wish he'd have found a better way to do the tension regarding "powerups" in the story. If you dig the series (and it is pretty decent) this is a decent addition to it. Not fantastic but pretty good.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

I read The Last Samurai: The Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori. It's moslty a biography of a samurai who emerged rose from a provincial tax clerk to one of the most powerful men in Japan during the collapse of the Tokugawa Shogunate. It's a really complex book, because much of it covers Saigo's manuevering in a series of political intrigues that alternated between protecting and reforming the Shogunate to overthrowing it and replacing it with direct imperial rule.

It's a really interesting character study, and uses some of Saigo's own poems to analyze his thoughts and activities as he navigated through an extremely dangerous time to be involved in Japanese politics.

I liked the book and Mark Ravina does a good job of giving an overview of what was going on politically during the time period, but I kind of felt like I needed a primer on the era to fully grasp the complexity of what was going on.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Finished Blindness last night. I knew nothing about the book before I started, so the whole post-apocalyptic aspect of it took me slightly off guard. But it was a pretty interesting book in any case. Saramago did a really good job of communicating just how putrid and awful the world had become. The end of the book felt a bit weak, but at least it wasn't like The Road where the ending just made you groan. Who knows, if he hadn't died before the book was finished, it might've ended differently. I liked not having any sort of quotation marks during dialogue. It kinda made you pay a bit more attention, since it wasn't explicitly told outright who was talking about half of the time.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 19, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Venusian Weasel posted:

I read The Last Samurai: The Life and Battles of Saigo Takamori. It's moslty a biography of a samurai who emerged rose from a provincial tax clerk to one of the most powerful men in Japan during the collapse of the Tokugawa Shogunate. It's a really complex book, because much of it covers Saigo's manuevering in a series of political intrigues that alternated between protecting and reforming the Shogunate to overthrowing it and replacing it with direct imperial rule.

It's a really interesting character study, and uses some of Saigo's own poems to analyze his thoughts and activities as he navigated through an extremely dangerous time to be involved in Japanese politics.

I liked the book and Mark Ravina does a good job of giving an overview of what was going on politically during the time period, but I kind of felt like I needed a primer on the era to fully grasp the complexity of what was going on.
I recently read the more generically titled Samurai: A History by John Man, which is a fairly light read. I thought it did a good job of covering the broad strokes of what was going on politically in Japan at the time, as someone who knew basically nothing about that period of history. The whole story is framed around the biography of Saigo Takamori, but there are a lot of digressions, so it doesn't look to be as in depth as the book you read. It was really interesting stuff to me as a beginner to Japanese history though, and it was a quick read.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I recently read the more generically titled Samurai: A History by John Man, which is a fairly light read. I thought it did a good job of covering the broad strokes of what was going on politically in Japan at the time, as someone who knew basically nothing about that period of history. The whole story is framed around the biography of Saigo Takamori, but there are a lot of digressions, so it doesn't look to be as in depth as the book you read. It was really interesting stuff to me as a beginner to Japanese history though, and it was a quick read.

Part of the problem is that there are so many major players at the time it's hard to focus in on any one of them and feel like you're getting the whole story. The Last Samurai does a fairly good job at covering the broad strokes of what's going on during the time period and attempting to piece together Saigo's actions, but everyone else just seems so flat.

For example, Saigo was in exile during the reign of Ii Naosuke, who temporarily stopped the collapse of the Shogunate. But since Saigo wasn't invovled in politics at the time, it kind of glosses over what Ii did politically during that time. You get like maybe three or four paragraphs describing nationally during a two year period.

Then there's Tokugawa Yoshinobu, the last shogun. The book makes it clear that he was a very savvy politician, but Ravina doesn't really paint a very clear picture of the man. For a biography of Saigo, that's fine, but I really would like to see what was going through Tokugawa's head at the time.

It's just such a rich period of history that focusing on just one man doesn't really do it justice.

homewrecker
Feb 18, 2010

ulvir posted:

Finished Blindness last night. I knew nothing about the book before I started, so the whole post-apocalyptic aspect of it took me slightly off guard. But it was a pretty interesting book in any case. Saramago did a really good job of communicating just how putrid and awful the world had become. The end of the book felt a bit weak, but at least it wasn't like The Road where the ending just made you groan. Who knows, if he hadn't died before the book was finished, it might've ended differently. I liked not having any sort of quotation marks during dialogue. It kinda made you pay a bit more attention, since it wasn't explicitly told outright who was talking about half of the time.

I'm pretty sure Blindness was written and published way before Saramago's death (it was originally published in 1995 and he passed away in 2010).

Anyway, I just finished The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. I did enjoy it but I don't think I loved it as much as I loved Norwegian Wood (that was the first novel of his that I read). Not sure if I should try reading another Murakami novel next or if I should try something totally different.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Blindness actually has a sequel called Seeing, which is less of a character study and far more sociopolitical than Blindness. It's also goddamn brutal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just finished the Wheel of Time series after years of a friend pushing me to read it, it had a very slow middle section and some weird gender issues but overall I found it a decent enough story, looking now for something similar.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

homewrecker posted:

I'm pretty sure Blindness was written and published way before Saramago's death (it was originally published in 1995 and he passed away in 2010).
I have no excuse for getting the facts this messed up.

e: double checked and my copy said the translator died before finishing it. Jesus christ, I better start reading books way before midnight. At least I recall the story of the book correctly, but drat.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 20, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

socialsecurity posted:

I just finished the Wheel of Time series after years of a friend pushing me to read it, it had a very slow middle section and some weird gender issues but overall I found it a decent enough story, looking now for something similar.

The Malazan Book of the Fallen and ancillary works. See you in two years!

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Finished Salinger's Nine Stories the other day. I liked some of the stories more than others, but man Bananafish was a fantastic story: so sparse, but it sucked me right in. And the ending just kicked the legs out from under me, I ended up going right back and re-reading again, looking for hints and clues of darkness under Seymour hanging with the girl on the beach. Nothing else quite had the same impact on me as that first story, but I enjoyed For Esme a bunch (really hard not to read Sgt. X as a stand-in for Salinger himself) and De Daumier-Smith's Blue Period was a fun read, a nice change of pace from the rest of the book. I don't really remember enjoying Catcher in the Rye much when I was a teen, but I'm tempted to go back and check out Salinger's other short-ish fiction next, maybe Franny and Zooey.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
Dune by Frank Herbert

Giant worms, desert people, religious fanatics and drugs; what's not to like? This book was every bit as engaging this time around as it was the last time I read it. It's one of those books that can withstand rereading. It's an epic science fiction classic. And, if you haven't already read it then you're really missing out on one of the great books of the genre.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Just finished Alone in Berlin by Hans Fallada. It was a bit of an uneven read, with the beginning being incredibly slow, and the ending feeling almost rushed. It was still a very harrowing read with some real 1984-feeling overtones. The scenes in second half of the book in the prison are horrifying. I still feel this is an absolute must read to get a look into the paranoia of late-WW2 Germany from the German's perspective.

Blacksofa
Apr 6, 2010
I had just went on a Haruki Murakami binge, not really knowing what I was getting into. I managed to finish Kafka on the Shore and South of the Border, West of the Sun. Murakami is definitely an interesting writer, especially with his surreal story-telling but I enjoyed South of the Border more due to its "realism" and I'm currently starting Norwegian Wood, which I hope is similar to it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Blacksofa posted:

I had just went on a Haruki Murakami binge, not really knowing what I was getting into. I managed to finish Kafka on the Shore and South of the Border, West of the Sun. Murakami is definitely an interesting writer, especially with his surreal story-telling but I enjoyed South of the Border more due to its "realism" and I'm currently starting Norwegian Wood, which I hope is similar to it.

Norwegian Wood is one of his more down to earth books. One of his better ones too. I like South of the Border but between that and Norwegian Wood I'd take the latter any day.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Just finished the Tin Drum by Gunter Grass. I read the new translation and, from the translator's notes in the back, made a good decision. It was a wonderful read with such playful and often understated language. It took me quite awhile because you really have to pay attention to the detail or else he will slide something by you. Also, the chapters are short and don't always connect so it was really easy to just read to the end of the chapter and put it down rather than staying up all night trying to get to a stopping point. I wish that there were some place I could go and read more about the symbolism in the book. So much was made obvious but then contradicted that I think it would be fun to read what others have been able to do with the text.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

Just finished the Tin Drum by Gunter Grass. I read the new translation and, from the translator's notes in the back, made a good decision. It was a wonderful read with such playful and often understated language. It took me quite awhile because you really have to pay attention to the detail or else he will slide something by you. Also, the chapters are short and don't always connect so it was really easy to just read to the end of the chapter and put it down rather than staying up all night trying to get to a stopping point. I wish that there were some place I could go and read more about the symbolism in the book. So much was made obvious but then contradicted that I think it would be fun to read what others have been able to do with the text.

Danzig Trilogy Of Gunter Grass by John Reddick is pretty much the ultimate companion to the Tin Drum, it's a readable deconstruction of all the symbolism and references in the trilogy. I'm re-reading Tin Drum right now and Oskar might be my favorite anti-hero in all of literature.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Danzig Trilogy Of Gunter Grass by John Reddick is pretty much the ultimate companion to the Tin Drum, it's a readable deconstruction of all the symbolism and references in the trilogy. I'm re-reading Tin Drum right now and Oskar might be my favorite anti-hero in all of literature.

That would be awesome but I suppose I would need to read the other books in the trilogy first...

Ayem
Mar 4, 2008
Just finished The Republic of Thieves, the third in Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards sequence.

The dialogue between the characters is always a joy to read in this series. The witticisms always crack me up and the con-artistry (if that's a term) was very well done. I found, though, that the plot was more or less meaningless and the book was mainly used to explain the history between Locke and Sabetha. The ending sets up the upcoming fourth book very nicely, though, with the Falconer regaining his powers and likely swearing revenge. There's definitely some good character development and I will definitely want to read the next one.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

This is the first book of the Sookie Stackhouse series which is the basis for the HBO series 'True Blood'. It's excellent and I love the entire series. Be warned that the tv series is only similar to the novels for the first season after which it more or less completely diverges. The series is complete at this point with thirteen books plus some short stories. For those who are unfamiliar with the tv series, these books are set in modern day Louisiana with vampirism acting as a parallel to the current LGBT civil rights struggles. The main character Sookie has the unexplained ability of telepathy and she becomes increasingly involved in this new world that opens up with the revealing of vampires as fact. It's a fast, fun summer read and a great distraction.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

zhuangcg posted:

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

I've been thinking about reading this, but the thing that really bugs me about the tv show is that nearly every single character ends up being supernatural somehow. Is it the same in the books?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

elbow posted:

I've been thinking about reading this, but the thing that really bugs me about the tv show is that nearly every single character ends up being supernatural somehow. Is it the same in the books?

You know how the show is structured with multiple soap-opera storylines between characters that barely interesect? The book is concerned with Sookie and only Sookie, and how every supernatural in Louisiana wants to gently caress her. I mean, there's some story in there somewhere, and occasionally it gets pretty entertaining as every book is a whodunit mystery (I forget what book it is but when she goes to mediate a national vampire conference that involves multiple factions, kings and queens of the regional US, was actually pretty good, probably the best in the series), but mostly it's about how everyone wants to gently caress Sookie.

Fred Lynn
Feb 22, 2013

elbow posted:

There are quite a few regular human characters in the book series and Sookie herself is a lot more competent and human than the tv series. However, the central premise of the series is that despite her best efforts to not get involved with the supernatural world her life is increasingly dominated by it and it makes a lot of unwelcome changes in her life and the lives of her friends and family.

You know how the show is structured with multiple soap-opera storylines between characters that barely interesect? The book is concerned with Sookie and only Sookie, and how every supernatural in Louisiana wants to gently caress her. I mean, there's some story in there somewhere, and occasionally it gets pretty entertaining as every book is a whodunit mystery (I forget what book it is but when she goes to mediate a national vampire conference that involves multiple factions, kings and queens of the regional US, was actually pretty good, probably the best in the series), but mostly it's about how everyone wants to gently caress Sookie.

Yes, this is primarily a mystery/romance series set in an urban fantasy world. Unlike science fiction and military novels we never found out what caliber Sookie's gun was or how many newtons of force her kevlar jacket could absorb. There's also no discussion of starship mechanics, time travel or FTL travel.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
I just finished all the books in John Scalzi's Old Man's War series, and right before that read Alistair Reynold's House of Suns

I'm hoping to find some more fun Sci Fi like Old Mans War and The Expanse series

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just finished rereading (for the second time through, with a year or two gap between) The Kingkiller Chronicles. Absolutely love Patrick Rothfuss' writing style, he's a fantastic author. Highly recommend it to you all.

Will start reading the second book in The Stormlight Archive, really looking forward to it as I thoroughly enjoyed The Way of Kings (listening to Two Steps From Hell and Emancipator and Audiomachine whilst reading this book makes it a phenomenal experience).

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Finished Frog Music by Emma Donoghue. It's a murder mystery/period piece (with more emphasis on period piece) set in 1876 San Francisco, based on an actual insolvency crime. The main character is a burlesque dancer, and I thought both she and the murder victim were both great characters. The antagonists are some of the most smug assholes you'll ever read.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I recently finished Blood Meridian by Cormac McCarthy. Uh, drat. That was some book. It came off as needlessly brutal at times and there were moments where I just had to set it to the side for a little while. It was ultimately worth reading; the judge was especially interesting. I'd recommend it to anyone who's willing to put up with McCarthy's style, but be aware of what you're in for.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Is this the one where it turns out that not only are there multiple types of were-creatures (which all want to gently caress Sookie), but also fairies? I remember reading one of these and just absolutely losing it when fairy twins showed up wearing matching red and green oufits like fuckin' Christmas elves.

A thing I finished: The Psychopath Inside by James Fallon. A science-y autobiography from a neuroscientist who found out by accident that he has the brain structure/activity pattern of a psychopath. A lot of the reviews of this book complain that the author is self-centred and arrogant - true, but I'm not sure what they were hoping for from this book by a borderline psychopath. The science could have done with being toned down for laymen, but it was a fairly interesting read and worth it for the moment where he reveals his political views: that's right, libertarian! :v: (and his research is state-funded!)

Prism Mirror Lens fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 25, 2014

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Finished Richard Farina's Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me last night. I enjoyed it a lot: it's a fun novel about a university right on the cusp of the sixties, with diversions to Las Vegas to witness a nuclear explosion, a road trip through the US and to Cuba. It's a funny read, but I don't think I'd call it a comedy: it gets dark occasionally, especially when it starts dealing with drug dealers and campus politics. It's certainly a different kind of campus comedy then, say, Animal House. It reminded me a little bit of Thomas Pynchon's California novels (especially Vineland) in the way it mixed comedy and '60s politics with an overwhelmed, pothead protagonist. Then again, Pynchon was good friends with Farina and wrote the introduction here, too. I'd recommend it, especially if you enjoyed stuff like Vineland or Inherent Vice: it's not as good, but it's certainly up the same creek.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Finished Another Bullshit Night In Suck City by Nick Flynn. I think I've become a fan. His prose is sharp and informative while holding a lot of traits that reminded me of Cormac. The title really caught my eye at the book store (who wouldn't want to pick up a book with such a crust punk title?), and after glowering through a few pages I was hooked.

Key thing about this memoir is that it can be read through one sitting, though I would give it some time. There are a lot of golden lines scattered throughout that really pulled me in. It is a very unsentimental account of Nick's work with the homeless and his relationship with his estranged and deadbeat father. What does Nick owe his father, if anything? Well, there is no concret conclusion, no happy ending, to this collection of chapters. Nick struggles to not fall into the same tar pit traps that his father settled for while trying to maintain distance from said father. He writes of the similarities between their lives as he inevitably walks in his father's shoes. His father's reputation follows him in his professional life, and we read of that.

It may be a memoir but it reads like adult fiction. I loved it.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

Sookie Stackhouse

zhuangcg posted:

Sookie Stackhouse

Thank you both for your input, I think I might stay away from it. It sounds like the books will annoy me for the same reasons the show does, and I won't even get to look at Alexander Skarsgard.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

elbow posted:

and I won't even get to look at Alexander Skarsgard.
The only reason to even watch the show.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
I just finished Power Game by Perry Henzell (director/writer of The Harder They Come). It's a political thriller set in not-Jamaica about a family trying to stay in power in the wake of the 70s oil crisis, gang war, Rasta revolution, military coups, and American imperialism. The characters were well-written and diverse, from barefoot Rastafari to prime ministers. The plotting and pacing was superb, and I couldn't put it down most of the time.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Just finished Dance The Eagle To Sleep by Marge Piercy. All I can say is holy poo poo. The last third or so of this book hits you like a physical blow, I'm still kind of reeling.

The novel is a more adult (and unapologetically brutal) take on the young-adult genre cliche of 'youth rebelling against a restrictive dystopian society', set in a disturbingly plausible near-future US. It starts up with a group of angry, disaffected young people occupying their high school, and follows the formation, growth, and near-complete genocidal extermination of a radical political movement, a 'new nation of the young and the free'. The author was a student radical in the 1960s and draws a lot of inspiration from her experiences in the movement; in many ways, this book is an allegory for the rise and fall of the radical coalition 'Students for a Democratic Society', though it tells its own story. It's incredibly violent, dark, and very much a product of its time - written in the early 1970s in the immediate aftermath of the collapse of the organized left in the United States, this book does a great job of capturing the disillusionment and pessimism that permeated radical circles in those years.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Just finished Do Androids Dream Of Sheep? by Philip Dick. What an amazing SciFi novel...

I grabbed it because somebody on the internet told me it was the inspiration for Blade Runner. The book was better.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

SketchesOfSpain01 posted:

Just finished Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip Dick. What an amazing SciFi novel...

I grabbed it because somebody on the internet told me it was the inspiration for Blade Runner. The book was better.

Funny, I was thinking about that book this morning while walking my dog. Read more PKD.

VVV Robopocalypse is terrible, sorry.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Apr 28, 2014

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

funkybottoms posted:

Funny, I was thinking about that book this morning while walking my dog. Read more PKD.

Try The Martian by Andy Weir and Robocolypse by Dan Wilson while you're at it. Go on a SciFi binge with some tint of futurology.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I really, really didn't like it. Now, I've read my fair share of awful crap, but I wouldn't put this book at that level. It's just offensively boring. I could not have cared less about the main story or the characters within. There was no sense of progression, no character development, and no risk involved in anything. The entire first third of the book was a waste of time. I've seen a lot of people online defend Rothfuss' writing style while disparaging the story. I'm not sure if I can agree. It was alright, I guess, but nothing special. I felt the framing scenes told in the inn were handled better than the main story and, honestly, that setting was more interesting. The book was recommended to me by two very different people whose opinions on books I typically respect. It just boggles my mind that they enjoyed it as much as they claim and I hated it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Safety Factor posted:

So, I just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I really, really didn't like it. Now, I've read my fair share of awful crap, but I wouldn't put this book at that level. It's just offensively boring. I could not have cared less about the main story or the characters within. There was no sense of progression, no character development, and no risk involved in anything. The entire first third of the book was a waste of time. I've seen a lot of people online defend Rothfuss' writing style while disparaging the story. I'm not sure if I can agree. It was alright, I guess, but nothing special. I felt the framing scenes told in the inn were handled better than the main story and, honestly, that setting was more interesting. The book was recommended to me by two very different people whose opinions on books I typically respect. It just boggles my mind that they enjoyed it as much as they claim and I hated it.

I thought pretty much exactly the same when I read it:

Hedrigall posted:

The book is nearly 700 pages but not that much happened.

Kvothe is such an utter nice guy (yes, in THAT sense of the word) in his relationship with Denna. Must be a true reflection of the gooniness of Patrick Rothfuss. Everything else about his character is total wish fulfilment. I hated his smug tone and his masturbatory descriptions of music he played so beautifully and cheeky conversations he had with adults that only made them love him more. I also hated whenever he went off on a paragraph-long analogy to describe a certain emotion. "I felt like... imagine walking on a frozen lake, and—" SHUT THE gently caress UP KVOTHE

I got so sick of the repetitiveness of the book. Kvothe needs money, then he gets some! Then he needs some more, then he gets some more! Repeat ad nauseum. And don't get me started on the cloyingly twee conversations he has with Auri. "What's in the bottle?" "A smile and a moonbeam and a splash of unicorn tears and a dash of werewolf cum!" ugh

The plot was all over the goddamn place with NO narrative structure at all, and offered no resolution by the end.

DESPITE ALL THIS I liked parts of it and the worldbuilding was pretty good so 3 stars but it'll take a lot of convincing to get me to read the sequel.