Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Is there a way to add EXIF data to an image? It's not super important or anything, but I wouldn't mind adding camera info to film shots I've scanned.

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

Is all you need. It's for Windows, though. That's how I enter all of the EXIF info for my film shots, after copying it over from the notes I take after each picture.

You'll have to play around with it a little bit to figure out which settings are best to use, but if you have any questions, give me a shout, I can give you a run-down pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Mannequin posted:

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.htm

Is all you need. It's for Windows, though. That's how I enter all of the EXIF info for my film shots, after copying it over from the notes I take after each picture.

You'll have to play around with it a little bit to figure out which settings are best to use, but if you have any questions, give me a shout, I can give you a run-down pretty quickly.

Thanks! It was actually your "this photo was taken with a 500c/m" on flickr that got me asking.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

aliencowboy posted:

Thanks! It was actually your "this photo was taken with a 500c/m" on flickr that got me asking.

Download the zip file and run the executable. It's safe and you can scan it just to be sure if you want, but it's good.

http://freeweb.siol.net/hrastni3/foto/exif/exiftoolgui.zip

Here are the screens to use:

You just have to click on the three buttons circled in red to add your EXIF information, after selecting your image of course.

EXIF Section

Only two tabs on the EXIF button are necessary to bother with (Main and Camera Settings), just fill out as I have done. (I usually delete the Photoshop thing but it comes back anyway.)

Note the circled items. On the left, DELETE the copyright information, otherwise it comes out as a long string of gibberish. Don't add your copyright information there you can add it in other places. On the right, the bottom part is optional. I don't think it affects anything. I think lens data comes from somewhere else. I'm just so used to filling that in that I do it every time.

I have a text file that I copy/paste from so I don't manually type in the lens details each time. I only have to type in aperture and shutter speed and ISO, essentially.

Copy the description and paste it in a notepad file because you will re-use that on the other two screens.

IPTC Section

Here's where you can bring in your copyright statement. Copy/paste this in the notepad file too.

XMP Section

Just copy all of this from a notepad file. I have a text file with lenses that I copy from. Then I type the description once in the first step and paste it into the same text file, and copy/paste it throughout these screens. You can bang this out pretty quick once you have a routine going.

I think lens information is pulled from the lens data from the XMP section. Not totally sure on that, but if so, then you can definitely skip the second optional part of tab 2 under the EXIF section.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I got my film back.

I gave WalMart my roll of slide film, a roll of Kodak Gold, and then three rolls of miscellaneous C-41 that my dad found in a drawer in a plastic bag. I wrote on all of the envelopes "No prints please. Just develop and provide negatives!" and then "*E-6 Slide Film" on the roll of Velvia 50.

They came back with the negatives, but all the C-41 rolls had prints with them, and two of the C-41 rolls had a CD with it. I didn't realize this at the counter and thought the price seemed high, but didn't notice what I had until I got home. I'll go back and see if I can get some money back tomorrow, I suppose.

Anyway, I probably should have been more clear about what I wanted with the slide film, because it came back with all 36 exposures mounted neatly in a cardboard slide mount.

I don't really have a way to scan them with my Nikon LS-2000, so I ended up rigging up a softbox and just taking pictures of them with my dslr. The problem is that focusing was a bitch for one (I had to shine a flashlight through them to check the focus each time) and I'm pretty sure my cheap-as-poo poo extension tubes leak light. Here's what I ended up with, though:

nycfilm-18 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

nycfilm-21 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

nycfilm-19 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

nycfilm-14 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

nycfilm-12 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

nycfilm-10 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Moral: slide film loving owns, don't use walmart.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I'm slowly getting around to processing some 35mm I shot a few months ago. It really is amazing just how salvageable/malleable Portra's tones are.

agriculture - fuji superia 400

synthesizer - kodak portra 160

This is awesome and should be appended to the OP.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Sep 23, 2012

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

aliencowboy posted:

I'm slowly getting around to processing some 35mm I shot a few months ago. It really is amazing just how salvageable/malleable Portra's tones are.

agriculture - fuji superia 400

synthesizer - kodak portra 160

Holy poo poo, what did you shoot these on?

Ah I see it was a Nikon FM2n. Amazing shots.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

dakana posted:

I got my film back.

I gave WalMart my roll of slide film, a roll of Kodak Gold, and then three rolls of miscellaneous C-41 that my dad found in a drawer in a plastic bag. I wrote on all of the envelopes "No prints please. Just develop and provide negatives!" and then "*E-6 Slide Film" on the roll of Velvia 50.

They came back with the negatives, but all the C-41 rolls had prints with them, and two of the C-41 rolls had a CD with it. I didn't realize this at the counter and thought the price seemed high, but didn't notice what I had until I got home. I'll go back and see if I can get some money back tomorrow, I suppose.
I was told that company policy is that they don't do develop only on 35mm/C41, only slide film and 120. Whoever develops it (I've heard they send it all to Dwayne's Photo but no confirmation on that) does a great job, but I'd probably save the time and spend the extra dollar per roll to get it done at the local CVS since they still do one-hour develop/print.

Were your mounted slides 35mm or medium format? I would love to send 120 slides out and have them come back mounted since I have a medium format projector, but I suspect that would be ridiculously expensive.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

GWBBQ posted:

I was told that company policy is that they don't do develop only on /C41, only slide film and 120. Whoever develops it (I've heard they send it all to Dwayne's Photo but no confirmation on that) does a great job, but I'd probably save the time and spend the extra dollar per roll to get it done at the local CVS since they still do one-hour develop/print.

Were your mounted slides or medium format? I would love to send 120 slides out and have them come back mounted since I have a medium format projector, but I suspect that would be ridiculously expensive.

Yeah, I think I'll be sticking with basically anyone else from now on except for slide film because it was still only like $7 for 36 exposures mounted on cardboard. I wonder if it'd be cheaper if I just wanted it uncut and unmounted.

And yes, they were 35mm slides.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Film camera woes: What would you guys recommend to do a DIY fix on a light leaky cloth shutter curtain? Is liquid electrical tape the de-facto standard or is there something better?

FED-2 works great but she's leakier than the Titanic. It almost looks like someone went out of their way to scratch the coating off the cloth.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Martytoof posted:

Film camera woes: What would you guys recommend to do a DIY fix on a light leaky cloth shutter curtain? Is liquid electrical tape the de-facto standard or is there something better?

FED-2 works great but she's leakier than the Titanic. It almost looks like someone went out of their way to scratch the coating off the cloth.

I would go with the liquid electrical tape. That is all I see recommended.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I've used liquid electrical tape on two different sets of bellows now with great results. I have an old Kodak folder that had some pretty substantial holes in the corners and a Crown Graphic with one big hole and lots of smaller.

Both are light-tight and work great now. Just make sure you dab, use several light coats, and use a disposable brush.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Old Pentax digital is pretty much sold on ebay (after a little bit of Nigerian fraud), in exchange a black Bessa R is on its way downunder :woop:

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I'm sick at home, so I finally got around to scanning in some old rolls:

Mamiya 645 - HP5 Plus (This stuff is awesome)

Mamiya 645 - Portra 400 (Also awesome)

Ikonta B - Kodak 160VC (Funky colors, but I like it)

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried shooting and developing the Rollei Retro 400S film?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

TheLastManStanding posted:

I'm sick at home, so I finally got around to scanning in some old rolls:

Mamiya 645 - HP5 Plus (This stuff is awesome)

Mamiya 645 - Portra 400 (Also awesome)

You're the guy I sold my M645 setup to, right? I can't remember anymore....

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

pseudonordic posted:

You're the guy I sold my M645 setup to, right? I can't remember anymore....
Yup, and the X700 which has also been awesome (Though I haven't used it much since I got an Eos3).

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

I've always wanted to go over to Fort Mason near sunset with some Delta 3200 and see if I can make the grain complement the buildings.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Yup, and the X700 which has also been awesome (Though I haven't used it much since I got an Eos3).

:love: your using the camera! Great shots!

Edit: EOS3 4 lyfe!

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

alkanphel posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone here tried shooting and developing the Rollei Retro 400S film?

I've used it. Too hard to get on a reel and it isn't as nice as the big name ISO 400 films, for example you can't push it nearly as far as Tri-X or Hp5+ (if you care about that sort of thing). It is a lot cheaper however and it has extended red sensitivity up to 750NM so it does have its uses.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turns out my college just bought 3 or 4 Epson V600s for the library, I can finally scan at decent resolutions :worship:

Bikes by juliancallan, on Flickr

Lamps by juliancallan, on Flickr

Iron Horse by juliancallan, on Flickr

Fuji C200 through a Pentax P30n.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

NihilismNow posted:

I've used it. Too hard to get on a reel and it isn't as nice as the big name ISO 400 films, for example you can't push it nearly as far as Tri-X or Hp5+ (if you care about that sort of thing). It is a lot cheaper however and it has extended red sensitivity up to 750NM so it does have its uses.

I see, thanks for sharing your experience. Was just thinking of trying out a few rolls to see what it would look like.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

I see what you did there....
Grimey Drawer
I shoot a roll of expired film through an old konica a few weeks ago and sent it off for developing and (cheapest possible) scanning.
There seem to be some kind of weird effect where the sky gets bluer higher up, like this:

A89910_16 by MadlabsRobot, on Flickr
Could that be a result of the film being expired or lovely scanning, or is there something wrong with the camera?
As far as I can tell the light meter is ok (compared to my digital) but I think most of the images looked overexposed.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

MadlabsRobot posted:

I shoot a roll of expired film through an old konica a few weeks ago and sent it off for developing and (cheapest possible) scanning.
There seem to be some kind of weird effect where the sky gets bluer higher up, like this:

Could that be a result of the film being expired or lovely scanning, or is there something wrong with the camera?
As far as I can tell the light meter is ok (compared to my digital) but I think most of the images looked overexposed.

that's normal

for like every photo

widunder
May 2, 2002

MadlabsRobot posted:

Where do you send things off in Stockholm? How cheap is it?

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Crimson.se 130 SEK for developing and scanning to jpeg 8 MB, they have "fotopåsar" that you can order for free. But once I've bought a scanner I'll will probably just develop them at fotokungen and scan them myself. Should be a lot cheaper I think.

Where do you get them developed?

atomicthumbs posted:

that's normal

for like every photo

Never really noticed it before but now when you mentioned it and I look at my digital ones...

MadlabsRobot fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 30, 2012

widunder
May 2, 2002

MadlabsRobot posted:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Crimson.se 130 SEK for developing and scanning to jpeg 8 MB, they have "fotopåsar" that you can order for free. But once I've bought a scanner I'll will probably just develop them at fotokungen and scan them myself. Should be a lot cheaper I think.

Where do you get them developed?
I've used Crimson once (in store), very professional but you pay for what you get. I've done B&W at Holly Foto, also expensive... I'm just going to go the B&W at home + color at Fotokungen route from now on, just need to get developer + fixer.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nemoulette posted:

I've used Crimson once (in store), very professional but you pay for what you get. I've done B&W at Holly Foto, also expensive... I'm just going to go the B&W at home + color at Fotokungen route from now on, just need to get developer + fixer.

Hey, thanks for that. I just moved to Stockholm myself so it was something I would probably have had to ask soon anyway :)

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

MadlabsRobot posted:

Out of curiosity, which old Konica? I've got an FC-1 I shoot occassionally, Konica SLRs seem to be rather uncommon.

widunder
May 2, 2002

nielsm posted:

Hey, thanks for that. I just moved to Stockholm myself so it was something I would probably have had to ask soon anyway :)
Fotokungen is 39 kr for developing C41, I've yet to find anything cheaper than that here.

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ExecuDork posted:

Out of curiosity, which old Konica? I've got an FC-1 I shoot occassionally, Konica SLRs seem to be rather uncommon.

Autoreflex T3, new version.

I also have an autoreflex TC and an autoreflex A but I haven't had time to put any film through them yet. I wouldn't say that konica slrs are exactly uncommon here in sweden, not as common as most other of the old brands maybe, but still quite easy to find (and cheap).

MadlabsRobot
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer

nemoulette posted:

Fotokungen is 39 kr for developing C41, I've yet to find anything cheaper than that here.

Cheapest is stockholm as far as I know but it's quite annoying that they have such lovely opening hours.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I want one. :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYvubi0qgi8&t=26s

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

I'm pretty sure that's Paul MaudDib's favourite compact rangefinder. Does anyone know it compares to the Canon QL17?

Black Bessa R arriving today, ready for some Rellei Retro 100 and my Jupiter 8-1.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have a Yashica Electro 35 with PAD OF DEATH. I'm going to pull the battery and just use it for S/16 at the moment with ISO400 film since it defaults to 1/500 without power IIRC.

Should be an interesting test. The lens is quite good, and the copal shutter means I don't need to worry about loving up a cloth or metal shutter by sticking my thumb in while reloading.

The only two complaints I have about it are that the lens is in an awkward place on the body and it makes handholding the camera a little awkward, and that the focus ring on the lens is incredibly annoying to turn if you don't have your fingers exactly on the three designated focusing ridges.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You nerds are in dire need of an Oly rd.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Spedman posted:

Black Bessa R arriving today, ready for some Rellei Retro 100 and my Jupiter 8-1.

I'm really having a blast with the Bessa R, fantastic rangefinder and all, but be prepared to recalibrate it from time to time.

I also use it with a Jupiter 8, great combo. :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm in dire need of not buying more cameras and just going out to shoot with the ones I already own.

Yashica is loaded with colour film, Zorki 6 is loaded with B&W. I have like five shots taken with both. Really lazy.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Martytoof posted:

I'm in dire need of not buying more cameras and just going out to shoot with the ones I already own.

Yashica is loaded with colour film, Zorki 6 is loaded with B&W. I have like five shots taken with both. Really lazy.

The trick is to get handed free cameras.

Like this one:

Nikon FE, nikon 50mm f2 AI lens, Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 zoom (the tokina version), 52mm reversing ring, uv filters for everything, a soft filter, and a Hoya yellow (2) filter.

Both lenses seem a bit soft wide open, but look pretty awesome when stopped down.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Spedman posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Paul MaudDib's favourite compact rangefinder. Does anyone know it compares to the Canon QL17?

I've been reading up on the Lynx 14E, I believe the lenses are single coated, but from what I've seen, they look nice and sharp. Lynxes quite bulky as far as 35mm rangefinders go, but that could be a plus or minus depending on the user. I've never used a rangefinder before and wouldn't mind having a cheap one around just 'cuz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Spedman posted:

No, my favorite compact RF is the Olympus XA. The 14E is my favorite full-size rangefinder though. It's pretty much designed for low-light shooting, you've got a fast lens with full-manual control, and a leaf shutter plus big heavy body to keep vibration down to a minimum.

aliencowboy posted:

I've been reading up on the Lynx 14E, I believe the lenses are single coated, but from what I've seen, they look nice and sharp. Lynxes quite bulky as far as 35mm rangefinders go, but that could be a plus or minus depending on the user. I've never used a rangefinder before and wouldn't mind having a cheap one around just 'cuz.

They're pretty nice. They are single coated and somewhat susceptible to flare. Like most f/1.4 lenses it's a bit iffy wide open, but me being unable to hold the camera steady at 1/30 while drunk is probably a bigger factor. Getting critical focus is also important. f/2 and f/2.8 sharpen it up nicely. I honestly don't know how the lens performs other than that - mine are perpetually loaded with Tri-X which I push to 1600.

Here are a few samples from a roll of parties this summer:

I think they're all 1/30 f/1.4 but at best they're 1/60 f/2.

e: A few that are 1/60 f/2.8 for sure:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Oct 2, 2012