Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Twin Cinema posted:

^ I like these types of posts, because I am not great at reading film visually, so this helps a lot.

If you're ever interested in the look of a specific film, it helps to take screenshots so you can parse it as stills. I never really realized how pretty Aliens was until I did that. With stuff like 1000 Frames of Hitchcock and Fanpop oftentimes the groundwork is already done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That amazing Green Berets blog post reminds me that yes, that is the best way to demonstrate what a film's all about.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That amazing Green Berets blog post reminds me that yes, that is the best way to demonstrate what a film's all about.

Visual medium, b.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

They nailed the ending of the American Shutter but the rest is crap. The Thai one is better.

The part where they show her corpse in bed scared the gently caress out of me.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

actionjackson posted:

The part where they show her corpse in bed scared the gently caress out of me.

Shutter is one of the better import ghost films. I enjoyed that the main character was essentially an rear end in a top hat and was getting what he deserved.. Doesn't get enough love as a film.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

It's funny because to me, V/H/S is the only found footage movie to do anything genuinely interesting with the format since Blair Witch Project (unless you count District 9).

I agree with this. If anything, I felt that the anthology format was perfect, as most horror concepts just can't sustain an entire feature-length film anyways and the story in-between was very effective. I certainly thought it did a great deal more (and made better use of cameras) than PA4.

One of the big moments in PA4 that brought me out of the movie was a scene were a character is almost hit by a car (this isn't a big deal as far as spoilers go). There's no way a character crossing the street wouldn't see that coming, but the camera lacks that same peripheral vision, so there's a huge disconnect between the camera and reality. It reminded me of the end of Cloverfield where the characters are somehow snuck up on by a creature the size of a goddamn skyscraper because the camera is facing away from it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I've never had any inclination to see Paranormal Activity or it's sequels but since this has become the PA thread for the last 30+ pages I might as well watch it just so I can follow the conversation.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Well, just watched Megan is Missing and it is the most depressing loving movie I have ever seen. To call it nihilistic would be understating it by an almost infinite degree. Christ, those last twenty minutes...

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

I love this scene

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So, Saw 7. I think I recall it being pretty hated when it came out. I didn't catch it right when it was released and I would like to see what the opinions were when it did come out. But I found it enjoyable. The twist of Dr. Gordon being ANOTHER accomplice, complete with another set of scenes showing how he was there all along ala Amanda and Hoffman is so ridiculous it's awesome. I find the fact that the filmmakers went to the same thing AGAIN for the big twist to be more hilarious than nerve-wracking. Now, as the final movie in the Saw series (for now), I think does a halfway-decent job. Bringing Gordon was good, and it does put some measure of decent closure on Jill and Hoffman.

I found the concept behind the gauntlet interesting, a fake Jigsaw survivor having to go through his own made up trap. I like when the movies look into the public's view of Jigsaw, how the killings go from almost a secret in Saw 1 to national popularity. But I would have liked to see more Gordon and less of the gauntlet, or no gauntlet at all if I had the choice. I think it also suffers from bringing a new cop since they killed off anyone else who could be hunting Jigsaw. It could have worked if they established him and Hoffman's rivalry earlier, or have kept Erickson or even Strahm alive to be the final adversary. Also, not much John Kramer in this movie. For the final Saw, you would think there would be this huge twist revealing some huge secret about John.

There's not too much room to breathe in Saw 7, I think I remember hearing that due to waning popularity in theaters the filmmakers had to condense plans for Saws 7-9 into one movie. I don't know if that's true, but it does kinda feel like that. If there's any info on what Saw 7-9 were supposed to be, I'd like to see it.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Red Dragon posted:

Well, just watched Megan is Missing and it is the most depressing loving movie I have ever seen. To call it nihilistic would be understating it by an almost infinite degree. Christ, those last twenty minutes...

It's honestly one of the few times where I have actually regretted (and not just in an "aw, man, where did that hour and a half of my life go?!") way. Like, I felt sort of nauseated after watching it, even if the acting and whatever was awful.

Love the movie screenshots idea, even if I'm not a PA fan! Not sure if this would be the right place for it, but a "post awesome/artsy screenshots from scary movies" thing would be pretty cool.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So, Saw 7. I think I recall it being pretty hated when it came out. I didn't catch it right when it was released and I would like to see what the opinions were when it did come out. But I found it enjoyable. The twist of Dr. Gordon being ANOTHER accomplice, complete with another set of scenes showing how he was there all along ala Amanda and Hoffman is so ridiculous it's awesome. I find the fact that the filmmakers went to the same thing AGAIN for the big twist to be more hilarious than nerve-wracking. Now, as the final movie in the Saw series (for now), I think does a halfway-decent job. Bringing Gordon was good, and it does put some measure of decent closure on Jill and Hoffman.

I found the concept behind the gauntlet interesting, a fake Jigsaw survivor having to go through his own made up trap. I like when the movies look into the public's view of Jigsaw, how the killings go from almost a secret in Saw 1 to national popularity. But I would have liked to see more Gordon and less of the gauntlet, or no gauntlet at all if I had the choice. I think it also suffers from bringing a new cop since they killed off anyone else who could be hunting Jigsaw. It could have worked if they established him and Hoffman's rivalry earlier, or have kept Erickson or even Strahm alive to be the final adversary. Also, not much John Kramer in this movie. For the final Saw, you would think there would be this huge twist revealing some huge secret about John.

There's not too much room to breathe in Saw 7, I think I remember hearing that due to waning popularity in theaters the filmmakers had to condense plans for Saws 7-9 into one movie. I don't know if that's true, but it does kinda feel like that. If there's any info on what Saw 7-9 were supposed to be, I'd like to see it.

The idea for the last three was that the concept of Jigsaw would expand and grow to almost cult-like proportions, with people using his methods less for torturing people into making the most of their life, more for vigilante-style reasons - the movie poster that's scaffolding around a giant effigy of Jigsaw is a reference to that. The two guys who kidnapped Hoffman at the end are the only real remnant of that, since they were confirmed to be the guys at the start of the film.

It's funny since, much like Hoffman being an apprentice, Gordon was made one retroactively to cover up a plot-hole - namely that it's unlikely that Jigsaw would have the medical know-how to be able to perform all those intricate surgeries on the various victims.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Whispering Machines posted:

Love the movie screenshots idea, even if I'm not a PA fan! Not sure if this would be the right place for it, but a "post awesome/artsy screenshots from scary movies" thing would be pretty cool.

I think the problem would be that a thread like that would become a 'PYF' thread too soon.

Which saddens me because a 'post awesome movie stills' thread would be incredible.

For instance, I was rewatching Ravenous for the nth time and I've always liked this very simple shot of the movie's two main characters standing in frame, divided by the American flag.

quote:

This country is seeking to be whole. Stretching out its arms and consuming all it can. And we merely follow.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 28, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I think the problem would be that a thread like that would become a 'PYF' thread too soon.

Which saddens me because a 'post awesome movie stills' thread would be incredible.

For instance, I was rewatching Ravenous for the nth time and I've always liked this very simple shot of the movie's two main characters standing in frame, divided by the American flag.

Yeahh boy! Another of my favorite shots is when David Arquette is introducing the secondary characters and there's just a shot of Neil McDonough standing in the river screaming.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Yeahh boy! Another of my favorite shots is when David Arquette is introducing the secondary characters and there's just a shot of Neil McDonough standing in the river screaming.

Hahaha, yessss

quote:

There's Reich; he's our soldier.

We immediately know everything we need to know about this character.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Fuckin' goddamn Ravenous is so good.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
It might just be my all time favorite. It's scary, exciting, filled with great performances, it's got a killer soundtrack, terrific atmosphere and it's very, very (darkly) funny.

quote:

*whistles the sound of a falling bomb*

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 28, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Why the hell didn't Antonia Bird ever make another movie after Ravenous?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I knew it was gonna be good when they have that scene at the beginning when they whole company is celebrating by eating steaks and they manage to make eating thick, juicy T-bone steaks look utterly disgusting and cannibalistic.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
^^^ The sounds in that scene are just brilliant. Pearce's loud breathing, the sound of cutlery on plates, chewing, squishing. Just sounds of gluttony permeates the entire thing until he gets up to throw up and that awesome title comes slamming into place, loudly. It's great.

The entire movie had a horrendous production up until Bird took over, with several directors being brought on and off the film. The movie cost about 12 million to make and brought in only two.

Perhaps no studio would give her another chance? Perhaps she didn't like the experience? She's made several made for tv movies since, but that's pretty much it.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 28, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The trailer for it is so bad and I'd like to think it killed the movie dead.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
I just saw it. They really had no idea what to do with this movie.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Red Dragon posted:

For me the acting was so bad I just felt boredom. It had potential but fell flat. Contrast Megan is Missing against Excision which would have failed if not for the excellent performances.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Ravenous is a fine time and holy poo poo, the trailer is loving terrible for it. What a shame. Glad to see over the years that its' managed to stay with some people though.

Also, Antonia Bird seems to have gone into the world of British television, which is a pretty sweet gig, at least more so than doing the same in the US. Might have just found a happy niche.

Oh yeah, random question for you goons: Any information on the documentary The 50 Best Horror Films You've Never Seen? I'm a sucker for talking head documentaries and it was made by a fellow who had a hand in the Halloween: 25 Years of Terror doc which I love. There's a trailer on youtube and that's about it.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Zwabu posted:

The fact that all the characters in all the stories in V/H/S are pretty much twentysomething fratboy Brosephs running around being Broseph/Brohims makes it about a million times more annoying.
I haven't seen VHS yet (I'm probably going to because I love all Ti West's work so far and will see anything he does) but I was listening to a movie review podcast where some guy called the movie the first in a new sub-genre he termed "Brosploitation". I gotta say that makes me want to see it more.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

wormil posted:

For me the acting was so bad I just felt boredom. It had potential but fell flat. Contrast Megan is Missing against Excision which would have failed if not for the excellent performances.

Agreed. Admittedly parts of the last 20 minutes were pretty horrifying and made me feel bad for watching, but after the kidnapper sealed the girl in the barrel with her rotting friend it just got so boring I started fast-forwarding through the subsequent SLOW AS HELL digging and burial scene just to see if there was any point to it all at the end.

Spoilers: there wasn't!

The acting was terrible, the plot was barely existent, and it had some of the worst pacing I've ever seen. God what a lovely, lovely movie.

On the other hand, Excision was a joy and delight to behold!

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Ravenous is a great movie. I rented it from Netflix in 2004, and I've never seen anything like it since. I show it to every person I can, and they inevitably end up not being able to look at or eat meat for the rest of the day, if not a few days. The casting is brilliant and the unhinged soundtrack perfectly compliments the plot and visuals.

Why hasn't it been released on Blu-ray? UNACCEPTABLE.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

hypersleep posted:

Why hasn't it been released on Blu-ray? UNACCEPTABLE.

Tell me about it.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Asbestos.
Asbestos who?
Asbestos don't go into this abandoned mental institution!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Olive.
Olive who?
Olive in the weak and the wounded... doc.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Olive.
Olive who?
Olive in the weak and the wounded... doc.
That is amazing.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I just watched Daybreakers and aside from being beat over the head into near-unconsciousness by the color design, I am really amazed at how absolutely boring the violence was. There was a lot of blood messiness but it felt way too clean. What a wasted premise :(

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

I really like Cabin Fever 2 and it's a shame Ti West disowned it. Granted the epilogue is awful but the rest of the movie is pretty entertaining.

I loved the first Cabin Fever, but I never seen the 2nd one (one was enough and no Eli Roth). That said I didn't know Ti West was involved. My interest is peaked now enough to look for it on Netflix streaming.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

The idea for the last three was that the concept of Jigsaw would expand and grow to almost cult-like proportions, with people using his methods less for torturing people into making the most of their life, more for vigilante-style reasons - the movie poster that's scaffolding around a giant effigy of Jigsaw is a reference to that. The two guys who kidnapped Hoffman at the end are the only real remnant of that, since they were confirmed to be the guys at the start of the film.

It's funny since, much like Hoffman being an apprentice, Gordon was made one retroactively to cover up a plot-hole - namely that it's unlikely that Jigsaw would have the medical know-how to be able to perform all those intricate surgeries on the various victims.

I see, that's interesting. I almost forgot about the two people helping Gordon, I would have maybe assumed they were Jigsaw survivors from that meeting. That whole idea about the Jigsaw concept spreading sounds pretty neat, I would have liked to see what they could have done with three full movies. Though who knows, that could be what they go with if/when the Saw series starts back up again.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

TheChirurgeon posted:

It reminded me of the end of Cloverfield where the characters are somehow snuck up on by a creature the size of a goddamn skyscraper because the camera is facing away from it.

This made me laugh much harder than I should have. Have very many people also pointed out that the monster at the end can't possibly be large enough? In addition to the monster tip-toing up to the guy, he looked maybe the size of a normal dinosaur rather than 350 feet high and 1200 feet long (according to Wiki). One person would look like an ant, he'd expend more calories bending down to eat him than he'd gain.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
Cloverfield is just as much a 9/11 movie as it is a monster film. It's pretty much detailing how the average person survives a huge tragedy. The scale of the monster has a lot to do with the protagonists' perception of the events from scene to scene. When the brother gets killed on the bridge, the scale is enormous and incomprehensible. The characters cannot wrap their heads around what is happening, or why, or how. By the end of the movie very little has been figured out, except the characters know that the military is helping and the events are to some extent comprehensible and survivable. The ending death is a very personal and isolated event, not one affecting the whole city like the bridge, but one that is only seen or really cared about, overall, by our heroes. The giant monster tiptoeing from offscreen, I think, is similar to how Tuco and Blondie don't know the army is marching by in the desert: the characters' vision is synonymous with the camera's. Someone smarter than me could explain this better, but it's an effective and satisfying technique.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Just watched House of the Devil. What a terrible movie. Innkeepers was much better than this.. I can't really recommend this one at all unfortunately.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

TheChirurgeon posted:

One of the big moments in PA4 that brought me out of the movie was a scene were a character is almost hit by a car (this isn't a big deal as far as spoilers go). There's no way a character crossing the street wouldn't see that coming, but the camera lacks that same peripheral vision, so there's a huge disconnect between the camera and reality. It reminded me of the end of Cloverfield where the characters are somehow snuck up on by a creature the size of a goddamn skyscraper because the camera is facing away from it.

The best (intentional) example of this is in Mulholland Drive when a turn of the camera literally erases someone from existence.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

wormil posted:

I've never had any inclination to see Paranormal Activity or it's sequels but since this has become the PA thread for the last 30+ pages I might as well watch it just so I can follow the conversation.

As penismighter has pointed out, it looks great. PA's 'only' flaw is that it doesn't integrate its aesthetic with its narrative the way that, say, Blair Witch does. The characters and their story distract from the film's best qualities.

Like, whereas Blair Witch is about a trio of fairly adept film students getting pushed to the limit of their ability to document the events, PA's Micah is a pretty half-assed ghost hunter. Imagine if the entire film concerned Micah obsessively documenting the weird angles and strange noises of the house - without the demonologist subplot, the scene where they google exorcisms, and whatever other chaff in the wheat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
So I watched Stagefright and holy poo poo it owns. It feels like the best movie Argento never made, which I suppose is appropriate given that it's basically Opera on horse steroids.

The pacing in it is kind of odd, but I do appreciate that when the killing starts in earnest with Wallace nonchalantly walking onto the stage and stabbing the poo poo out of the girl it never lets up.