Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eclipse
Mar 12, 2003

It's gone rather dark all of a sudden...

Al2001 posted:

Nigel Slater is such a massive ponce. Watched some of the Hairy Bikers today and I'd forgotten just how loving poo poo they are as well. Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is the man but his assistants are all cocks. I just hate almost everyone.

I'd rather his simple than Lorraine Pascale's "Easy", which is basically: 10 second location shot of her and her massive teeth and pink pashmina riding around in Madrid, then cutting back to her modern flat in London, where she assembles some ready-made ingredients into a paella and then goes on about how her friends (who we never see) love her home-made cooking.

Has anyone been watching Junior Bake Off? Since when did kids TV presenters have tattoos on their neck and facial piercings? Some of the kids are scarily good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Robert Peston would make a great Doctor Who.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I'd forgotten how great the sister in Him and Her is.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Junkenstein posted:

i found out last week that she's Russell Howard's sister irl

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Junkenstein posted:

She's the worst person in the world, I just want to choke her to death. Great character.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Haha, a whole day of watching 24 ahead.

Also, Him And Her made me realise my sisters are part of the 'can't sleep without electronics on' cult. Ugh,

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Did anyone watch Life's Too Short then? I can't stand Gervais, but I somehow ended up watching this. It was alright, mildly amusing for the most part. Worth watching for an absolutely hysterical bit involving Liam Neeson though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

It's so flipping meta it makes my head hurt. So it's a mockumentary starring Warwick Davis playing a version of himself that played a version of himself in Extras.

I enjoyed it. Liam Neeson was incredible. Warwick is way too David Brent, though. The first bit with his wife was pretty much a David Brent impersonation.

My wife asked if the accountant was Noel Edmonds. Obviously it wasn't but I wish it had been.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Akuma posted:

It's so flipping meta it makes my head hurt. So it's a mockumentary starring Warwick Davis playing a version of himself that played a version of himself in Extras.

I enjoyed it. Liam Neeson was incredible. Warwick is way too David Brent, though. The first bit with his wife was pretty much a David Brent impersonation.

My wife asked if the accountant was Noel Edmonds. Obviously it wasn't but I wish it had been.

It was more enjoyable than I was expecting.

One thing that I found strange was the way that Warwick Davis kept looking straight into the camera after saying stuff. I guess it was deliberate but it seemed odd. Might have just been me though.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I thought it was good, but nothing amazing, I'll certaintly watch it next week. The best part was Barry from Eastenders' reaction when he told him about the documentary.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mostly it was very good but not quite up to Office/Extras standards. That Liam Neeson scene, though, is the hardest I've laughed at anything on TV for about a year. It was incredible.

My favourite line was "Like I said before, I've got AIDS", like he didn't realise they were redoing the improv and it wasn't a continuation.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
The best scene was Liam Neeson's improv, by a large margin. Wish it was longer than 5 minutes.

Otherwise, it's just the office. Warwick is too much like David Brent

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

The best scene was Liam Neeson's improv, by a large margin. Wish it was longer than 5 minutes.

Otherwise, it's just the office. Warwick is too much like David Brent

I've got full blown AIDS isn't a line that I ever expected to hear from Liam Neeson. Just wait till this screen's in the USA on BBC America or whatever and they wonder what's up with his accent not being American!

Is it worth perhaps making a thread for this show; maybe try to garner some interest. We never get decent threads for British shows other than Misfits, really, and obviously Doctor Who.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Clearly you're not reading the Apprentice thread :colbert:

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

sebzilla posted:

Clearly you're not reading the Apprentice thread :colbert:

I like to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Went ahead and made a thread for it, lot of negative reviews but I absolutely loved most of it.

Thread

James R fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 11, 2011

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

On Derren Brown tonight there was a brief shot of a pub in Todmorten village called "The Polished Knob".

English pub names are weird. :stare: (And if there's not been a BBC4 or Radio 4 documentary on the history of pub names then there really should be.)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Oooo, old Stewart Lee joke on HIGNFY.

Still, it's an obvious enough observation, may well not have been his to start with

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun

Irisi posted:

(And if there's not been a BBC4 or Radio 4 documentary on the history of pub names then there really should be.)

:aaa: I would watch this so hard

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Irisi posted:

On Derren Brown tonight there was a brief shot of a pub in Todmorten village called "The Polished Knob".

English pub names are weird. :stare: (And if there's not been a BBC4 or Radio 4 documentary on the history of pub names then there really should be.)

Sounds like the sort of new names they give them nowadays, ditching traditional names or renaming places that have been open for generations in favour or moronic 'clever' names to go with the new brewery-chain style.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Irisi posted:

It's a new name, done deliberately.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Sounds like the sort of new names they give them nowadays, ditching traditional names or renaming places that have been open for generations in favour or moronic 'clever' names to go with the new brewery-chain style.

One day Super Hans will have a pub called Free The Paedos.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

SeanBeansShako posted:

One day Super Hans will have a pub called Free The Paedos.

Go for the best of both worlds. "The Swan and Paedo".

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

goatface posted:

It's a new name, done deliberately.

Well that's just rubbish.

Though my research on the subject has lead me to the hugely entertaining fact that there's apparently a pub in Bedfordshire called "The Inn Next Door Burnt Down".

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Weatherspoons actually try really hard to come up with names that fit with the area. I didn't know this until I questioned the apparently stupid name of the branch that opened up near me, called "The Jolly Tars".

Turns out that in the 20s there used to be a small drama group that did plays on the local beach, and they were called The Jolly Tars.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Irisi posted:

there's on in Staines called The Cock Inn. It's a double barrelled giggle factory, even now I'm the wrong side of 30

^ I can vouch for the Wetherspoons thing, as they eventually ran out of things they could put Spoon in, hence the name of Slough's being "The Moon And Spoon"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
This is probably the weakest Derren Brown show I've seen since the Lottery.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Stopped thinking about pub names and am now pondering which rock "Psychic" Sally Morgan has crawled under after her 30 second appearance on Derren Brown. It was gloriously embarrassing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

DaWolfey posted:

Weatherspoons actually try really hard to come up with names that fit with the area. I didn't know this until I questioned the apparently stupid name of the branch that opened up near me, called "The Jolly Tars".

They opened "The Peter Cushing" here, because he lived/died here. It's easily the poshest spoons I've ever been to, all art deco throughout with big pictures of the man on the walls.

edit - Also, just watched the first two episodes of the new Mongrels, and I'm glad to see it's not lost it. The Shaun of the Dead bit was hilarious.

goatface fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 11, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In fairness to them, Wetherspoons took took over a listed hotel here, tidied it up and kept the name, which is nice as there's been a hotel of that name on the high street here for over four hundred years.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wetherspoons aren't as bad as they're made out to be.

Sure, they run some of the lowest rent pissers in the country where beer is 2/3 the standard price and people fight outside 7 days a week, but they keep real ale on the highstreet and do food and drink that pensioners can afford in the daytime.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Irisi posted:

Stopped thinking about pub names and am now pondering which rock "Psychic" Sally Morgan has crawled under after her 30 second appearance on Derren Brown. It was gloriously embarrassing.

We challenged her to prove her skills. She didn't turn up.

http://www.youtube.com/user/merseyskeptics
http://bit.ly/challengesally

I did all the filming and whatnot. It was a good morning regardless of her no show and Simon Singh signed some books for us :)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Leyburn posted:

Did anyone watch Life's Too Short then? I can't stand Gervais, but I somehow ended up watching this. It was alright, mildly amusing for the most part. Worth watching for an absolutely hysterical bit involving Liam Neeson though.

I come from the opposite direction in that I'm a huge fan of every thing he/they have done audio wise plus the office.

I felt it was funny in places but completely predictable and 'by the numbers' as it where. I still laughed at some of the jokes but the set up seems played out.

Jippa fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Nov 13, 2011

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Jippa posted:

I felt it was funny in places but completely predictable and 'buy the numbers' as it where. I still laughed at some of the jokes but the set up seems played out.

I agree, I did enjoy it and I did find it funny but it seemed like even though the subject matter has a lot of opportunity to be offensive, it always manages to maintain a strict distance from causing it so it turns out to be quite safe.
I remember watching the Ricky HBO special and in that he said in order to not be offensive but still touch on uncomfortable subjects he always uses a framing device. Like he tells a joke about a paedophile loving a kid, but frames it as a joke about telling a joke at an inappropriate time and therefore defangs the paedo joke.
This show uses a framing device of it being a documentary, and Ricky himself. You know what Ricky is like with his style of comedy so automatically you are focusing on him, it becomes "what are they going to make Warwick do now?" and not "lol dwarf fell out of car lets laugh at him"
You could argue that being able to make a program with this distinction, to create an environment where you can have a dwarf get stuck in a doggy door and you not think it exploitative is where the genius of Ricky Gervais lies, or you could just write it off as a toothless tiger.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Ben Soosneb posted:

It was more enjoyable than I was expecting.

One thing that I found strange was the way that Warwick Davis kept looking straight into the camera after saying stuff. I guess it was deliberate but it seemed odd. Might have just been me though.
It's a fake documentary, the people in it are aware of the camera & crew being present so looking at the camera is actually used thematically.

I thought the show was ok. My only real (big) criticism is that I knew when the beats were coming. I also thought the acting of the black guy Warwick asked to press the buzzer seemed really poor. He didn't seem to acknowledge the camera being there yet answered questions in such an obviously "abrasive for the show" manner. It just stuck out to me.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Caught up with Him and Her season 2 and it's as brilliant as the first series.

The actor that plays Paul deserves more credit for just how hosed up he manages to convey him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Paul is unnervingly crazy yeah.

I loved it when he cracked up after Steve shot down Laura. I'm curious to see if they'll get married or not.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Durzel posted:

I also thought the acting of the black guy Warwick asked to press the buzzer seemed really poor.
Well it was Phone Shop guy so

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Just watching Life's Too Short now.

davidbrentdavidbrentdavidbrentdavidbrentdavidbrentdavidbrentdavidbrent.

ShortLeroy
Oct 5, 2011

ibroxmassive posted:

Caught up with Him and Her season 2 and it's as brilliant as the first series.

I like it, I just wish they'd stop dry humping each other all the time. It's not even funny, it just feels awkward. Like being around some friends that have just started shagging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

SeanBeansShako posted:

Paul is unnervingly crazy yeah.

I loved it when he cracked up after Steve shot down Laura. I'm curious to see if they'll get married or not.

It won't happen because of the show's format, but I'd love to see his stag-do.