Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

IRQ posted:

I'm sure Tyrion pushing paper for episodes on end will have plenty of sexposition though.

Well yeah, he'll be loving Shae the whole time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
So is he serious about the fact that he think he needs an extra book to finish the series? I say this purely hypothetically since we all know that he will write approximately zero more ASOIF books.

Dendra
May 3, 2009
Did they rewrite the Jaime/Catelyn release thing, because otherwise this season is going to be him sitting in a dungeon for 10 episodes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Literally nothing happens unless you're a big fan of Dany doing nothing

Y'know, I'm sure this is a tired joke but honestly that's all she ever does. Aside from barking occasional orders about where and how she'll being doing her particular brand of nothing, she has literally never done anything other than nothing relative to every character. For gently caress's sake Rickon an Tommen have done more under their own power.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Y'know, I'm sure this is a tired joke but honestly that's all she ever does. Aside from barking occasional orders about where and how she'll being doing her particular brand of nothing, she has literally never done anything other than nothing relative to every character. For gently caress's sake Rickon an Tommen have done more under their own power.

She did look cool when she turned on the slavers with the dragons. Before and after that, eh...

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Book 1 1996 Dany is in Essos trying to get to Westeros
Book 5 2011 Dany is in Essos trying to get to Westeros

:siren: With 200 finished pages by March 2012, Martin hopes to finish The Winds of Winter much faster than the fifth book :siren:

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

IRQ posted:

Well the first season was pretty bland so of course.

I'm sure Tyrion pushing paper for episodes on end will have plenty of sexposition though.

Honestly the most entertaining thing about the show is watching TVIV have multiple meltdowns every day.

What TV are you watching that the first season was "bland"?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's an impressive adaptation to be sure, with money out the rear end that makes the whole ASoIaF aesthetic look beautiful, but be honest here it's not exactly the classiest or most compelling TV on the planet despite the deafening hype surrounding it. For god's sake half of the exposition has to be delivered over images of naked ladies and that's where almost all of the character meat is.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

mind the walrus posted:

It's an impressive adaptation to be sure, with money out the rear end that makes the whole ASoIaF aesthetic look beautiful, but be honest here it's not exactly the classiest or most compelling TV on the planet despite the deafening hype surrounding it. For god's sake half of the exposition has to be delivered over images of naked ladies and that's where almost all of the character meat is.

Aside from the sexposition flaws, the acting is a cut above most TV shows on right now and the scope is impressive for the budget. It doesn't compare to Spartacus or Mad Men in quality, but it's close.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I'm sorry, did you honestly claim that Spartacus: tits and gore was on par with Mad Men?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Well yeah, he'll be loving Shae the whole time.

I for one look forward to those Council meetings :allears:

e: Oh, and him bitch-slapping Joffrey again while loving Shae.

Fighting on the boats, loving Shae. It's comedy gold.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Azure_Horizon posted:

What TV are you watching that the first season was "bland"?

Bland is generous.

You, on the other hand, actually liked the horrible most recent two books, so that explains your reaction. The show is pretty mediocre, sorry.

Trico
Nov 5, 2009

still you are nowhere
Oh, Wild Cards, you're all so jaded and bitter. Who hurt you?

edit: Oh yeah, GURM did. Disregard. :shobon:

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Show us on the doll where GRRM didn't write a good book.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Show us on the doll where GRRM didn't write

Fixed that for you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dendra posted:

Did they rewrite the Jaime/Catelyn release thing, because otherwise this season is going to be him sitting in a dungeon for 10 episodes.

I read somewhere that Jaime's only going to be in a few episodes.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I read somewhere that Jaime's only going to be in a few episodes.

Yeah. The actor was bummed he sits out season 2 but 3-5 he will be the headliner.

Pretty good trade off.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
You guys are right, reading the TVIV thread IS fun:

Batmans dad posted:

I'm Renly for Renly.

Of all the dudes competing for the crown right now, I hope he'll win. :)

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis

Rurik posted:

You guys are right, reading the TVIV thread IS fun:

Yes! YES!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Happiness is watching the TVIV thread have a meltdown. <3 Renly <3

Countdown to authoritarian shitheads masturbating over Stannis and his "BUT IT IS THE LAW."

Rape Jake.
Feb 23, 2012

by T. Mascis
I was thinking about how stupid and unrealistic Stannis' personality is the other day and I've decided I hate him.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rape Jake. posted:

I was thinking about how stupid and unrealistic Stannis' personality is the other day and I've decided I hate him.

Stannis isn't unrealistic at all.

He's basically GBS circa 2005. "THERE IS ONLY THE LAW."

*grind, grind*

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Countdown to authoritarian shitheads masturbating over Stannis and his "BUT IT IS THE LAW."

He's like iron, he'll break before he bends. :allears:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I have no reason to despise the GURM, he has given us the gift of viewers' crushed expectations for many years to come, even though he'll never write another word of Winds of Winter ever again.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Care to give context to that? Sounds interesting, but I wasn't around then.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rurik posted:

Care to give context to that? Sounds interesting, but I wasn't around then.

I burned an account around 2005 because GBS used to be a loving terrible libertarian/authoritarian nightmare.

They had a fetish for posting news stories like cops tasering elderly people with senile dementia and having huge flame wars about how "THEY BROKE THE LAW!!! Of course it's okay to use deadly force! Can't do the time, don't do the crime!" :fap:

All the old goon stereotypes came from what a complete shithole GBS used to be. Just imagine the worst sociopathic misanthropes endlessly circlejerking to the law (and police) being the one true god.

Then, long story short, the pedos were chased out of 4chan, and the libertarians were chased out of GBS and that's where reddit and tvtropes comes from.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Stannis isn't unrealistic at all.

*grind, grind*

Whenever I read about Stannis grinding his teeth, I just think of what terrible tension headaches he must get. :(

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tony Danza Claus posted:

I burned an account around 2005 because GBS used to be a loving terrible libertarian/authoritarian nightmare.

They had a fetish for posting news stories like cops tasering elderly people with senile dementia and having huge flame wars about how "THEY BROKE THE LAW!!! Of course it's okay to use deadly force! Can't do the time, don't do the crime!" :fap:

All the old goon stereotypes came from what a complete shithole GBS used to be. Just imagine the worst sociopathic misanthropes endlessly circlejerking to the law (and police) being the one true god.

Then, long story short, the pedos were chased out of 4chan, and the libertarians were chased out of GBS and that's where reddit and tvtropes comes from.

He's actually correct. I got banned around 2006 because I was an idiot, and even then GBS used to be one giant septic playground where next to everything that wasn't anime, music, or FYAD went. Movie threads? Comics threads? Photoshop threads? News threads? PYF threads? E/N Threads? ALL GBS. In some small ways it was a little better because it was this one-stop shop for insanity, news, and culture, but holy poo poo when it got bad it got bad. You think SA is harsh on anime now? Back then there was a well-written 50+ page fiction E/N thread about a super-authoritarian military dad raising an illegitimate son who was schizophrenic and shouted nonsense about Dragonball Z and rebelled to the point of incarceration and goons LOVED it like their favorite bedtime story.

The formation of E/N and PYF are honestly two of the best things to ever happen to SA.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

mind the walrus posted:

The formation of E/N and PYF are honestly two of the best things to ever happen to SA.

Also, the mods running the shitheads out on a rail.

It used to be a :biotruths: and Ayn Rand playground of the worst people imaginable.

FYAD/LF/Helldump did wonders for this place.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Wow. Looking at D&D now there's clearly more Leftist people now than biotruthers or libertarians. And the amount of fanatics overall seems to be at least tolerable. Makes me wonder how the change occurred: libertarian shitholes tend to stay libertarian shitholes, it's a self enforcing cycle.

Good that the place changed though.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rurik posted:

Wow. Looking at D&D now there's clearly more Leftist people now than biotruthers or libertarians. And the amount of fanatics overall seems to be at least tolerable. Makes me wonder how the change occurred: libertarian shitholes tend to stay libertarian shitholes, it's a self enforcing cycle.

Good that the place changed though.

LF lolbertarians "ironically" went ultra-liberal and for some reason everything else followed.

mind the walrus posted:

Very true. GBS had a weird period between when the file forums closed and the splitting off of the really terrible content (E/N threads) where it was really bad. I know you guys still hate it now, but I don't mind it.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Tony Danza Claus posted:

FYAD did wonders for this place.

Wait, what? Since I don't understand FYAD at all, I'd like to hear this. Or is it just that FYAD removed all the FYAD-like posts from the rest of the forums?

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?
I miss helldump, I loved lurking it for laughs but was generally too scared to post.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

whowhatwhere posted:

Wait, what? Since I don't understand FYAD at all, I'd like to hear this. Or is it just that FYAD removed all the FYAD-like posts from the rest of the forums?

Basically whenever some tremendously poo poo person says/does something stupid you can always count on FYAD mocking the dude until he ragequits.

And there's the GBS parody threads which are the funniest things on the internet:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3290020&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Elindale posted:

I miss helldump, I loved lurking it for laughs but was generally too scared to post.
Helldump went to poo poo and turned into a forum full of humorless quasi-ironic bitching. Then the internal drama started. Getting put out of its misery was for the best I think.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Ok, since this turned into SA 101 I might just as well ask what is the "thing" about FYAD that there is to get. Why it's so... weird and what explains it?

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
FYAD sucks but I was a LF poster so I obviously have (extreme leftist) bias.

But yeah this is interesting. Season 2 starts tomorrow and we're talking about SA forums?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Rurik posted:

Ok, since this turned into SA 101 I might just as well ask what is the "thing" about FYAD that there is to get. Why it's so... weird and what explains it?

It's smart people pretending to be stupid pretending to be smart.

It's also hilarious.

Dead Man Posting posted:

FYAD sucks but I was a LF poster so I obviously have (extreme leftist) bias.

But yeah this is interesting. Season 2 starts tomorrow and we're talking about SA forums?

Goons actually write.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rurik posted:

I've been here close to 11 years and I have no loving idea what the deal with FYAD is.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FYAD is kind-of like a magic eye. I'm sure there's something going on that I just can't see, but I'll be hosed if I can make heads or tails of it no matter how many lessons I get on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe if we all did a lot of narcotics, alcohol consumption, and induce temporary insanity we can understand FYAD GRRM's reasoning for having Dany as a POV character after the first book.